Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Mission Iruka Christmas ❯ Family ( Chapter 2 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Title: Mission Iruka Christmas
Chapter Rating: G
Theme: Family
Summary: Takes place right after Kakashi's father dies.
Warnings: Mentions Yondaime's name so if you don't want to know it either don't read it or drop me a line and I'll edit it so you can read it.
Disclaimer: Santa I swear I've been good all year... can I have Kakashi and Iruka? Please! *fingers crossed behind her back*

**********************

Kakashi glared at his sensei. "You don't need to feel sorry for me. I'm fine."

The man knelt beside him and smiled. "You misunderstand, it's not that I feel sorry for you. It's simply that I need your help. I have a very important mission here in town and could use a hand with it. Seeing as you're determined to work during the holiday when others would rather be elsewhere doing their own things, I thought that you would be the perfect person to assist me."

The silver-haired boy crossed his arms and looked skeptically at the grinning shinobi in front of him. "How hard could a mission in town be; that you would need my assistance?"

"I've always had particular help with this mission and it is a very important one that must be completed every year." The man tilted his head the side still grinning, "So? Are you willing to help me or do I need to find somebody else? I'm sure you could probably get a different mission if you'd rather do that. However seeing as I am busy with this one you would most likely be teamed up with others."

The young boy frowned and studied the face of the person he trusted most in the world. He knew his sensei was telling him the truth but he also knew there was more at play here than the other was revealing. That said he didn't like when he had to be paired with shinobi other than his sensei. He was used to it being just the two of them, he preferred it that way, so he sighed in resignation and nodded.

***************

Kakashi watched as Minato-sensei laid the two large scrolls out and handed him a bag of smaller ones. "I'll set up the lanterns and you hand me the scrolls," Minato said smiling at him and setting up the first lantern on the edge of the training grounds just in view of the memorial.

Kakashi pulled out a scroll and unrolled it. 'Ai Heike' He stared at the name wondering it's significance before handing it to his sensei.

"Ah... Ai, it's been awhile eh? A whole year has come an gone. I hope your grandkids will be in Konoha to visit with you this year." He turned to Kakashi, "Ai was the personal body guard to the first. She died saving his life."

Kakashi felt his eyes go wide but said nothing as his sensei continued to tell him how the woman had discovered that one of the council planned to kill the Hokage and had intercepted scroll with instructions only to be hunted down by the nin before she could return. And he gained a new appreciation for his summons when Minato explained that if it hadn't been for her falcon summon the scroll would have been taken back and the Hokage would never have gotten the warning or been able to prove that it was the council and not a random attack.

After he finished Minato simply set up another lamp. With each lamp he told Kakashi what he knew of the person. Although there were quite a few he knew very little about and more that he knew nothing at all about. Still he introduced himself and Kakashi to the name on the scroll and told them of the happenings around the village.

The moon was high before they finished setting up the hundreds of lamps. Kakashi stared across the field, the lanterns lit the area with a soft warm glow, and he felt an odd sense of peace standing there.

"Kakashi this is our family, remember that no matter what these people loved us enough to die for us," he said as he wrapped an arm around him. "I have one last lamp and a scroll to go with it. However I'd like you to set it up."

Kakashi turned and looked at him, the confusion evident in his eyes. His sensei handed him a small scroll and he unwound it. 'Sakumo Hatake' Kakashi shoved the scroll back into Minato's hands, "His name doesn't belong here."

"Yes, it does. Even Sandaime-sama agrees that he was hero. Not all of those we lit a candle for tonight died in battle. Not all of them are etched on the memorial. But all of them were heros. Some of them simply had the misfortune to survive, even if it meant they were crippled and could no longer live as shinobi." He took Kakashi's hand and placed the scroll in it again. "Your father didn't die on a mission but he did die to the wounds he suffered on one. Even if few people could see them."

He stared at the slightly mangled slip of paper for what seemed like hours before he nodded. He was still angry at his father for dying, for leaving him, but the shame dissipated leaving only his sadness and anger behind.