Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Mission Iruka Christmas ❯ Lights ( Chapter 3 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Title: Mission Iruka Christmas
Chapter Rating: PG
Theme: Lights
Disclaimer: The lights idea is mine but not the world of Naruto or it's characters which is a shame because the lights thing is cute and clever if I do say so myself. Oh Mikuni, Akane, and Miko are mine. And yes Miko is the same Miko from MI Chapter 14. I may do a one shot that explains why he knows the story of her and her team simply because it explains her crush on him but not right now because I have too much else to get done and it's not absolutely necessary.

Music: Uh I was listening to my Pandora Holiday station and my Pandora Moby station.

***********

Kakashi carefully placed the lamp on the hook, and then unwound the small scroll of paper and attached it to the lamp.

"Ah Mikuni-san how are you this year? Still keeping Akane-san company or did she finally tell you that enough is enough eternity is too long go away?" He chuckled.

"No I figured she wouldn't tell you that. She probably should though." He smiled and started setting up another lamp beside that one.

"Tell you what I'll set her up beside you again this year. If you two want to spend eternity pestering each other who am I say otherwise."

He picked up another white paper lantern from the box beside his feet.

"Akane, now you know I wasn't serious. Don't leave that poor bastard, he'd be miserable without you," he said lighting a small candle and placing it in the holder of the lamp and unrolling another scroll.

"Be nice to each other. I'm sure Miko will come visit you two on Christmas like she did last year."

He pulled another lamp out and started the ritual again, still chatting to the previous two lamps until he unrolled the small scroll for this one.

"Ah Obito, how is it you sneak up on me every year? I swear you move your scroll so I'll find it when I least expect it." He watched as the thin paper fluttered in the light breeze.

"Now I'll have to set Rin and Sensei up next to you so you can keep them company and so they can keep you out of trouble."

He proceeded to set up two more lamps and carefully sifted through the scrolls in the bag to find the right ones.

"This year you'll have to settle for an hour or two of my dry wit. I have plans for a change. No, I'm not telling you in advance or you'll meddle. Yes, they do have to do with Iruka and no, I'm still not telling you."

He stood staring at the white paper lanterns for a moment.

"You'll have plenty of company this time of year." He let his eyes fall over the training grounds surrounding the memorial stone. It was nearly full of white paper lanterns.

"Almost everyone has lost someone, and even those who don't normally have a reason to visit will come by to at least pay their respects." He reached a hand up and touched his scar.

"Even those who pretend to forget the rest of the year will come."

He smiled softly beneath his mask when he saw Iruka come through the line of trees.

"For once I have a reason to spend time someplace other than here." He watched as Iruka stopped and stared across the training grounds. The other man's eyes took in the sight of all the paper lanterns before they fell on him.

************************

Iruka smiled when he caught sight of his boyfriend standing across the training grounds. The glow of the hundreds of white lanterns filling the field with an otherworldly light. He remembered the first time he'd come to visit the heros of the past on Christmas.

It amazed him that for nearly as long, Kakashi had been the one setting them up and he'd never known.

"Tsunade-san said you'd be here," Iruka said looking around again. "She says you set them up by yourself every year." The thought bothered Iruka deeply.

"Hai." Kakashi reached out and took his hand reassuringly. "I don't mind. I actually enjoy the ritual." The tone was perfectly serious and Iruka felt the worry ease some.

"Your hands are cold," Iruka said and grasped Kakashi's other hand before pulling them both up to his lips to kiss them and blow warm breath onto them. "How are these things supposed to keep your hands warm?" he asked frowning at the ANBU half gloves. "You should have a proper pair for being outside like this."

"But I couldn't unroll the scrolls or light the lamps if I had mittens on."

"And you can't do that if you end up with frost bite either," the other man muttered still rubbing his fingers with the thumb of his mitten clad hand.

"Mittens look silly."

"Humph.. Says the man who walks around with gravity defying hair."

"I thought you liked my hair," he pouted.

"I do. I like your hands more, so maybe you should take care of them."

"Ah fine, fine, I give." And with that he pulled his hands free and wrapped them around Iruka's waist, before shoving them under the end of the other man's sweater and against his bare skin. Iruka screeched and tried to escape but Kakashi had a firm grip by this point. "There now you can warm me up."

"Get your cold hands off of me, you bastard!" Iruka shrieked, still squirming. Kakashi laughed and held on tighter. "Let me go!"

Kakashi leaned forward and snuggled into his neck. "I can think of another way you could warm me up."

"Gah, let me go and finish your work."

"Ah, you're no fun, sensei," he chuckled but released him. "I do need to finish though. Was there some reason in particular you came looking for me?"

"Ah no. I just thought we could go have lunch together when you're finished."

"Sure," he said, smiling brightly as he picked up another lantern. "I should be done in about 20 minutes or so. I've only got 4 or 5 lanterns left to set up."

"I could help," Iruka offered.

"Well, um, okay." He handed Iruka the bag of scrolls.

"Just hand me a scroll when I ask for it." And with that he lit another candle and placed it in the lamp. "Okay hand me a scroll."

Iruka reached in a pulled one out reading the name on it as he did so, 'Takara Umino.' He smiled and thumbed the scroll's edge before digging in the pack again.

It took a moment but he found the other one, grateful it hadn't already been place somewhere in the mass of lights. He smiled at the second scroll, Kenshin Umino, before turning to Kakashi. "Mind if I set these two up?"

Kakashi smiled, "Not at all." And he turned and set up another lantern.

"Mom, dad, this is the team Kakashi belonged to. I hope you can all keep each other company for the holiday, and don't tell them any embarrassing stories that they don't need to hear." Iruka sighed and looked Kakashi who pretended to be innocent, before turning back to the lamps.

"I'm sure they hear enough of them anyway."