Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Mission Iruka ❯ Behind the Mask ( Chapter 8 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Disclaimer: No more for you if you haven't figured it out by this point you'll never figure it out.
Mission Iruka

Chapter 8: Behind the mask

-----

"It didn't work," Kakashi said as he crouched beside the stone. "I just thought you should know." He rubbed the back of his neck. "So, what do I do now, since you guys seem bent on tormenting me?" The sigh that escaped held a tone of amusement. The sun was setting by the time the silver-haired shinobi moved.

-------

Iruka tucked one last scroll in a pouch and headed out the door to find Kakashi. He wasn't sure how he was going to get Kakashi to let him back in his house, but he would. And then, he'd get his revenge.

Iruka resorted to simply knocking on Kakashi's door. He'd thought about knocking on the library door, but he wasn't sure if he should. 'I'd probably be intruding.' Iruka waited. 'He should be home. Why am I here? What am I going to say?' He could feel the pre-prank nerves hitting him. Well, mostly pre-prank.

Kakashi popped his head out. "Oh, it's you." He slid the door open and motioned for Iruka to come in.

-----------

'What is he doing over here, now?' Kakashi wondered then shrugged mentally. 'Not that I mind.' Iruka took off his shoes and held them, looking at Kakashi. "Oh, I was just fixing dinner, would you like to join me?"

"I didn't mean to intrude." Iruka blushed slightly.

"You're not." Kakashi turned and walked back towards his part of the house. 'He's awful cute when he blushes. It may even be better than the angry look.' Kakashi contemplated the idea as he led Iruka to the living room.

"Please, sit. I'm almost done." Kakashi smiled and went back into the kitchen. 'And, don't think I haven't noticed that you haven't said a word as to why you're here.' Kakashi turned off the stove and got out plates for the rice and stir-fry.

----------

Iruka watched Kakashi. 'Damn, how am I going to set this up with him in the same room?' He watched as Kakashi carried the food over and then went back for the tea. 'Why did I come over here? I didn't think this through very well. I should already have an excuse!'

---------

Kakashi sat down. "So, what brings you all the way out here?" Iruka squirmed. 'That's cute, too. Not as cute as the blushing, though. Ooh, there's the blushing! The squirming is especially cute when he's blushing.'

"I don't know." Iruka poked at his food before taking a bite. "I guess I just enjoy your company." He took another bite, looking at it carefully. Kakashi watched as the blush deepened.

"Okay." Kakashi scratched his head then pulled down his mask to eat.

Iruka choked.

"Are you alright?" Kakashi wondered briefly if he'd made it too spicy.

Iruka stared at him. His face was a fascinatingly bright shade of red by this point.

"Iruka-san, are you okay?" Kakashi was beginning to get worried.

Iruka nodded. "Your... mask." He squeaked.

"Yes...?" Kakashi asked hesitantly, wondering if Iruka was going to pass out.

"You took off your mask."

Kakashi stared at him. 'Oh!' Kakashi grinned. "Sorry, I'm not used to having people over. I can put it back on if would make you more comfortable." 'If I'd known he'd react like that, I might have taken it off sooner. Like, before I put the food down. I hope he doesn't choke. I can imagine what people would say then.'

"No!" Iruka started. "You don't... shouldn't... I was just surprised is all. I've never seen you with it off before."

Kakashi smiled. "Forgot I had a face underneath my mask? Usually, I get the opposite response. You know people trying to get me to take it off."

Iruka's face had almost returned to its normal color.

"Please, eat." Kakashi looked wickedly at Iruka. "Of course, if you've lost your appetite, I apologize."

"You're very handsome, Kakashi-san." Iruka said then blushed again. "I mean, uh..."

Kakashi chuckled. "You mean I'm not handsome? I suppose I could be getting old..."

"No, you are handsome, and you're not old. It's just, I didn't mean that to come out like that." At this rate, Iruka really would pass out.

"Like what? A compliment?" Kakashi just couldn't resist teasing him one last time.

-------

Iruka picked up a piece of chicken and popped it in his mouth. 'Change the subject, please.' He chewed.

'This is good. Yes, change the subject to the food.' His voice wasn't cooperating.

"How do you like it?" Kakashi asked, as if reading his mind.

"It's amazing, Kakashi-san. Where did you learn to cook like this? When?"

"Minato-sensei taught me."

Iruka looked back up at Kakashi, smiling thoughtfully. "Sometimes I forget Yondaime was your sensei," he said, taking a drink. "It was nice of him to teach you to cook."

"You remind me of him sometimes." Kakashi stared at him with an odd look on his face for a moment. "The way you take care of Naruto."

Iruka blushed and rubbed the bridge of his nose. "It's nothing. Naruto's a good kid."

"He's lucky he has you. I think Minato-sensei would say the same." There was that odd look again.

"I'm just as lucky to have Naruto around. I shouldn't have a favorite student... I keep telling myself that."

Kakashi chuckled. "Probably not. But, Naruto needed you more than your other students."

"Not more than Sasuke." Iruka felt the bottom of his stomach drop, and not in a pleasant way. 'Oh... I shouldn't have said that. He's probably more upset about Sasuke than he would be about Naruto. Though, he doesn't really seem upset about Naruto...'

"You're probably right, in some ways, but Sasuke was more my fault than yours. You shouldn't blame yourself," Kakashi's said seriously.

"I didn't mean..." Iruka started.

"I know you didn't." Kakashi interrupted. "It doesn't make it less true. I saw it coming, but I thought I could convince him otherwise. Minato-sensei... would have gotten it right." Kakashi looked away for a moment. When he looked back he smiled. "Maybe Naruto will get it right." He laughed lightly then, "I don't think he'll give up until he does."

Iruka relaxed and chuckled. "Naruto doesn't know how to give up. It goes against his very nature."

Kakashi changed the subject, and they fell into a relaxed conversation about the various nin, trading gossip, and stuff that really wasn't gossip. Eventually, Iruka left, but it was dark when he did.

"Well, I didn't get them planted, but now I know I can drop by for no reason, and he won't think I'm crazy." Iruka flew over the rooftops towards his apartment. "And, I'm still going to do it. He deserves it."

---------