Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Naruto of the Mirage ❯ Chapter 25 ( Chapter 25 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Naruto had been running at extremely high speeds for the past hour and was feeling the burn in his legs from over use. His cheeks and eyes showed the influence of the demon he was holding, something he didn't use unless it was an emergency. His training had increased his chakra reserves past his previous levels by three times easily but he was still vulnerable. Naruto would have been past the point of exhaustion a good while back, if not for the fox and since it was the only thing keeping him going at this point, Naruto didn't want to complain.
 
“Hey gaki, where's the fire?” Jiraiya's voice snapped the jinchuriki from his musings; something that was surprising considering the toad hermit was on Gamabunta. Naruto was about two feet from running smack into the toad bosses front right foot.
 
“I need Tsunade-bachan! Sakura-chan's been injured and if we don't get bachan than she'll loose her arm!” Naruto was about to run around Gamabunta when he was wrapped up by the oversized tongue of the amphibian and hauled onto his head.
 
“Thanks boss.” Naruto took the opportunity to grab his breath back and was glad when the giant summon turned around and headed back.
 
“You need to think your plans through more, Naruto. Sprinting from Suna trying to get back to Konoha is still going to take a lot of time and if your friend is in serious trouble, it will kill them.”
 
Naruto nodded, realizing that he could have cost Sakura her arm if Jiraiya hadn't shown up. For the first time since the exams, he realized that it might be too soon to look forward to the title of chuunin. Naruto closed his eyes to guard against the fierce wind that was slamming against his face from the toad bosses great leaps.
 
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
 
“Sasori and Deidara are dead.”
 
The only reply was silence until the leader spoke.
 
“I know.”
 
“Shall I…?”
 
“…No. They may not have been the most powerful, but if they are dead that means that Jiraiya is most likely behind it. Recall the others, if he is still in Suna, then their group hasn't left yet, and not even the immortals can take on two sannin.”
 
A pair of green eyes narrowed.
 
“You know that I'm not one to second guess you when it comes to these things, but we need those jinchuriki, you said so yourself. If we don't get at least one now, then they may come up with a better system of protection.”
 
“Of course I am aware of that, but since we are two members short, any further loss of life would make us unable to seal the demons. At our current strength we can only seal one demon.” The brown eyes of the leader closed in a moment of reflection before the seated figure rose and dusted itself off.
 
“I will get our target and leave you to recall the immortals back. If Hidan gives you any crap have Kakuzu bring him back.” With that the leader of Akatsuki stepped out of their base and into the light for the first time in a while before beginning his trek towards Suna.
 
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
 
The ride to retrieve Tsunade had grown quiet, as Naruto was contemplating his previous fight and Jiraiya was just standing there, eyes closed.
 
`Why didn't I think of summoning?' Naruto was kicking himself for his oversight. `It's far simpler than travel by satetsu and uses far, far less chakra. While I did get there faster with my sand, it used far too much and riding on Gamabunta wouldn't be too much slower.'
 
It was amazing how much distance the toad boss could cover when he wanted to, and while it had taken Naruto almost an hour and a half to meet up with Jiraiya, Gamabunta hadn't been moving at full speed, and in fact he wasn't moving anywhere near full speed. In the time he had been riding, Naruto was back in the outskirts of the Fire country, a feat that was a day and a half by foot or even four hours by shunpo. It was a good thing that Jiraiya came along when he did; Naruto truly would have been the death of Sakura for not thinking though his travel plans.
 
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA