Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Pieces Of Me ❯ Lift ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Drabble Ten

Title: Lift

Disclaimer: Naruto belongs to Masashi Kishimoto, not me. I own nothing mentioned here.

Summary: Sasuke finally returns from Sound, only to find out a certain blond is MIA. [Hinted SasuNaru]

A/N: Here is another SasuNaru, folks (hinted, actually). So this idea, not really sure where it came from. But it's a sad one-shot. If you liked it, review!!! Ja!


~*Lift*~



The sun was just rising when he passed under the gates of Konoha. It was still early morning, so the streets were still relatively empty. That's the way he had wanted it. He didn't want to get apprehended before he even reached the Hokage's office. He was still a missing nin, after all. He just hoped Tsunade let him off easy for killing Itachi and Orochimaru.

There were no guards in the front of Hokage tower, so the trek to her office was easier than he could've ever hoped for. He just pushed the door open, not bothering to knock. The blonde woman was asleep at her desk, and the clock resting next to her folded arms read 5:30 a.m.

Sasuke cleared his throat loudly, and the woman sprang up suddenly, eyes wide and confused. It took her a moment to realize Sasuke was standing in front of her desk.

"Uchiha."

"Orochimaru and Uchiha Itachi are dead."

"Really now?" The Hokage stood up behind her desk, splaying her fingers on the polished, wood surface. She scrutinized the dark haired teen closely, sizing him up. He had betrayed Konoha once; was he really trustworthy? "What did you hope I would say to this information?"

"Nothing. I only want to gain Konoha's trust again." And a certain someone that had tried to save me. Sasuke watched Tsunade through his bangs as the woman thought things over. Her bottom lip was wedged between her teeth, as the wheels so clearly turned in her head. "I will suffer the consequences of my actions. I just ask that you let me back in so I can pay my debt to this village."

"All right, brat, but there are consequences." Tsunade sat back down at her desk, and steepled her fingers. Sasuke sounded sincere, and she didn't want to disappoint Naruto. "You will be put under guard and watch for three months. You will remain a Genin until you have proved yourself trustworthy."

"Yes."

"Kakashi will be your legal guardian. I'll inform him of this later today." Tsunade pulled an envelope from her desk, pulled a piece of paper from it, and handed it to the Uchiha. "These are the duties you are to complete. When they are completed, you are to come see me."

"Yes."

"You may leave now." Sasuke stood to go, clutching the papers in his hand. But something was still nagging at the corners of his mind. He had forgotten why he came back in the first place.

"Naruto...where is he?" Sasuke turned back to look at the Hokage, and was confused when she turned away abruptly; eyes shining with unshed tears. He felt his heart stop in his chest. The dark haired teen slammed his hands onto her desk, eyes burning with denial. "Tell me he didn't get himself killed! That idiot...!"

"We don't know if he's dead, Sasuke. He just-He never came back from his last mission. And that was over three months ago. We haven't found his body, if he is...dead."

Sasuke stared at her blindly, not really seeing her. His mind was set on blue eyes, hoping she was lying; that Naruto was really at home sleeping. Not dead...! The Uchiha spun on his heel and stormed from the room, Tsunade's voice calling him back. He wouldn't believe that Naruto was dead.

His feet lead him to the monument of the ninja's killed in action. His eyes drifted towards the bottom of the monument, and zeroed in on the very last name: Uzumaki Naruto. Sasuke felt his insides clench.

"I come back just for you and you're not here. Missing in action. You idiot...!" The Uchiha dropped down onto his knees next to the monument, and for a while just stared at Naruto's name. There was no way the blond was dead. He had Kyuubi to heal him if he got badly injured. He couldn't just...die...

"Sasuke-kun...?" Came a soft voice from behind the dark haired nin. Sasuke didn't turn his head to look at the girl, just kept staring at the engraved name of his best friend.

"He's not dead."

"Sasuke-kun, when did you-?"

"He's out there somewhere, alive. He's not dead. He can't be."

Sakura took a step forward, hand outstretched to the dark haired teen sitting on the ground. She couldn't believe he was sitting there, just in front of her. When did he get there, and why was he just staring at the monument? Naruto's name is on the monument, Sakura's mind supplied.

"They never found his body." The pink haired girl said, tears springing to her eyes.

"I came back just for him. He's not dead." Sasuke stood up and finally turned to face the girl. His face might've held no emotion, but there was something strange lurking in those dark eyes. Sakura had never seen that look in the teen's eyes before. Without so much as another word, the Uchiha walked away.

"Sasuke-kun, where are you going?"

"Naruto's alive out there. I'm going to find him."

Sakura reached out for him again. She knew that no matter what she said, Sasuke was going anyway. She just hoped that the dark haired boy found their teammate out there somewhere.

"See, Naruto?" Sakura said to herself quietly, as she watched Sasuke's retreating form. "Sasuke-kun really does care about you. After all, he came back just for you."

He'll find you no matter what.



~Owari~