Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ The Naruto Primer ❯ Akimichi Chouji: The Diet ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Naruto Primer: Akimichi Chouji

The Diet

Chouji is a large boy.

A mere glance in his direction will confirm that statement. No one will ever deny that his size is abnormal and the fact that he probably weighs twice as much as any of the other boys his age.

Many people have told him he is overweight and Chouji usually responded that it was because of his bloodline that he was so big. But the more Chouji thinks about it, the more he realizes that he won't be able to use that excuse forever.

How could he possibly become a great ninja like Shikamaru if he couldn't even feel great in his own skin? Chouji knew that if he was going to become a chuunin like his best friend, there would have to be some changes. The changes wouldn't be easy for him. In fact, they would prove to be ridiculously difficult, but he also knew the end result would be worth it all.

"I won't eat at all today!" Chouji announced as he woke up on the first of the month. "Starting this morning, I'm on a diet!"

The members of the Akimichi clan aren't ones for diets or concerning about their weight, so Chouji didn't bother seeking advice or support from his family. It's not like they would look down upon him or chastise him, they just wouldn't know how to help him, for Chouji had very caring parents.

The first urge to eat was when he swung his feet over the side of his bed and jumped onto the floor.

"I must not give in!" Chouji said, trying to ignore the growling sounds from his stomach.

The second urge to eat was when he reached out for the doorknob to exit his room. His stomach was now unbearably rumbly.

"The more I think about not eating, the more I want to eat!" Chouji realized, getting distressed. "I have to do other things so I can distract myself from food! But…what?"

With every step down the tall stairs of his house, Chouji could feel his feet underneath him weakening. "How great it would be to just have a small bite to eat…" Chouji said as he longingly looked in the direction of the kitchen.

"No!" a voice inside him yelled. A small angel that looked remarkably like Shikamaru appeared on Chouji's shoulder. "You mustn't give in!"

"But I'm so hungry!" Chouji whined to the mini-Shikamaru with a chipmunky voice.

"It'll get easier once you walk out that door." The angel Shikamaru assured Chouji, pointing at the front door that led to outside. "When you get out there, you won't even think about food."

"Yeah, you're going to believe that?" came another deformed sounding voice as mini-sized Ino appeared on Chouji's other shoulder. She was dressed all in red and was carrying a pitchfork. "Come on. Who needs to go on a diet? You're defined by your size. If you lose that, you'll just be another loser like Shikamaru."

"Shikamaru's not a loser!" said Chouji.

"Just ignore her, Chouji." Said the little Shikamaru. "Go outside and forget all about food."

"Don't listen to him!" said Ino. "Listen to me! I say; splurge! There's nothing wrong with it!"

"Man, you guys are confusing me!" Chouji said as he flicked both of them off his shoulder and stood there by himself. He gave a heavy sigh and reached for the door. Maybe he should listen to his psychopathic visions caused by his delirious state. But which one?

Why was he even wondering? Shikamaru, of course. Shikamaru had never steered him wrong before. If there was one person in this world that Chouji could rely on, it was Shikamaru.

Feeling a new strength, Chouji flung open the door and jumped out into his front yard where the sun was shining, the birds were singing and the grass was greener like never before! He felt like a new man already and knew that he could probably go another forty-five minutes feeling like this before he would have to distract himself again, consulting his mini Shikamaru.

But, just then, the real Shikamaru stood in front of Chouji.

"Hey, Chouji, do you want to get something to eat?" Shikamaru asked.

Chouji paused. "Aw, I give up!" he groaned. "Yeah, let's go!"

And then Shikamaru and Chouji walked off into the sunset. Even though it's morning.