Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ The Tango ❯ Chapter Two ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Naruto. Oh and from the first chapter I don't the song Killing Me Softly by the Fugees or the You are so Beautiful song.
 
 
Chapter Two:
 
`So that's his name,' Hinata thought. She held the folder on her lap, and just looked over the man in the picture over and over again, unconsciously memorizing every contour on his face. She stroked the tattoos on his face, wondering if they hurt when he got them.
 
“Hinata-chan, are you alright?” Hinata's head jerked up. She had been staring at the picture of the man in the folder for the past…Hinata looked at the clock. `TEN MINUTES!!!' Her head screamed. She looked at the person who was talking to her. A blush graced her cheeks. It was Naruto.
 
“H-hi…n…Naruto-kun,” Hinata murmured.
 
“Hey, Hinata-chan! I just wanted to see if you were okay, since I heard you were in a car crash this morning,” Naruto practically yelled. Hinata blushed harder. `Oh the rumor of my little “accident” has already spread its way to Global Communications. By tomorrow people in Saudi Arabia will know about it,' Inner Hinata sighed.
 
“N..no…I'm fine th-thank you…n-n…Naruto-kun,” Hinata stuttered out.
 
“Okay, Hinata-chan, if you say so!” With a little wave, Naruto bounded out of the office. `He's so cute! I can't believe he just talked to me!' Hinata's thoughts went on about Naruto for awhile, then she dropped her eyes to the folder that was still in her lap. Enticing brown eyes stared back up at her. She let her eyes linger for a bit longer than they should have, but she closed the folder and set it aside for later.
 
* * *
 
“HIIIINNNAAATAAA!!!! LUNCH BREAK!” Sakura called. Hinata could see the pink hair bob along the cubicles as it came to stop at hers. Green eyes looked expectant for her to come. Hinata sighed and looked at what she had. She grabbed her purse, and at the last second grabbed the Inuzuka file from her desk. She followed the pink all the way to the lobby where Ino and Tenten were waiting.
 
“So Tenten, did it say in my horoscope anywhere that me and that cute guy from accounting are going to get together this weekend?” Ino asked eager for the answer.
 
Tenten rolled her eyes, “It said that you will find that someone unexpected will become the favor of your eye.” Hinata knew Tenten was lying. She always did that when Ino asked for the star's advice. Hinata remembered one time Tenten got fed up with Ino and told her that stars said not to wear any dark clothes for it will turn away the apple of her eye. That entire week Ino wore nothing but orange, yellow, pink, and white. When Ino asked her why the guy turned her down on a date, Tenten said that it might've been the black hair tie she wore.
 
“Hm…so that definitely means that it won't be Uchiha,” Sakura said, grinning. Ino shot her an evil glance. They had been vying for the attention of the head of accounting for awhile now, Sasuke Uchiha.
 
“So where are we going?” Hinata asked. Hinata felt better when she wasn't being pressured into an answer.
 
“I like that Chinese place on 22nd,” Tenten said.
 
“Hm…no, so not in the mood for noodles…” Sakura complained.
 
Ino thought for a moment, “How about that café that opened up down the block from here? They said it had good sandwiches, plus great coffee.” Hinata nodded. She really needed a cup of coffee if she was going to go running with her cousin, Neji, later. The group decided to call a taxi even though it wasn't far.
 
As the group sat down, the question Hinata was dreading came. “Hinata, so who is the guy who bumped into you?” Tenten asked.
 
“Well, he didn't t-tell me his name, b-but I found out t-today in this folder,” Hinata said. She picked up the folder and handed it to Tenten. Sakura and Ino crowded around the girl. The three gasped when they saw the picture.
 
“YOU'RE GOING ON A DATE WITH KIBA INUZUKA!?!?!” Ino practically screamed. Everyone in the café stared at the girls. Tenten gave an apologetic smile to the customers and hit her delusional friend on the head. Sakura was in a state of shock, and Hinata was as red as a tomato. Tenten, on the other hand, looked like she knew this was going to happen.
 
“I knew it. It said so in your horoscope.” Tenten smirked, and Hinata tried to hide in her blazer.
 
“Tenten, if you knew Hinata was going to date someone famous, then why didn't you tell us?” Ino said finally calming down.
 
“Because, the stars are too vague to predict that well. All it said was that Hinata was going to encounter something life-changing and that she was going to change. That's why I thought we should make a list for the young Hyuuga.” Ino nodded. Sakura just came out of her daze, and went to go pick up their order.
 
As Hinata bit into her sandwich, she wondered if Tenten took her own predictions seriously. Everyone knew the girl had a thing for Hinata's cousin, Neji. And if love was predicted in her stars, Tenten was sure to act on it, or least, that's what Hinata, Sakura, and Ino thought.
 
They finished up their sandwiches and coffees and decided to walk the way back. This decision was totally unwise, since they had forgot to bring tennis shoes along with them. By the time they got back to the office, each of the girls was silently cursing the high heels.
 
* * *
 
“Bye Hinata-chan. We'll see you later,” Sakura said linking arms with Ino and walking out of the building. Tenten gave a small wave, and followed. Hinata grabbed the rest of her stuff and went to go catch a cab. Neji would be waiting at her apartment. She shoved her stuff in the backseat of the cab and sat down.
 
“Where will it be?” The man in the driver's seat asked. Hinata always answered a half a block away from her apartment, so she could make sure she wouldn't have a lunatic come to her door in the middle of the night. She told the man the address, and he drove off.
 
When she arrived at her apartment, a familiar dark haired figure sat at the front of her door practicing his breathing. Neji Hyuuga opened his eyes at the sounds of heels clicking on the cement stairs. He stood to the approaching lady.
 
“Hello Hinata,” he said calmly. Neji wasn't one for pleasantries.
 
“Hey n…Neji-niisan,” Hinata said. She pulled the key from her purse and let him inside. She would go change and then he would make her run for an hour, before having tea in her small kitchen. She switched from her loaned business clothes into a pair of sweatpants and a workout tank-top. Hinata slipped on a pair of tennis shoes and went outside. It was a three mile course with two quick stops; that was the way Neji liked it.
 
Half a mile into the run, Neji decided to talk. “So how are things going, Hinata?”
 
“Fine, I w-won a c…contest on the radio today. I won free d-dance lessons.”
Hinata slowed down in her pace a little so she could talk without panting. Neji slowed his pace as well.
 
“That sounds good for you. Dancing, I heard, can build self-esteem.” Hinata nodded, taking in her cousin's words. For awhile, Neji had never approved of his cousin. She was meek and quiet. Hinata scowled at the memory of the old Neji. He would treat her like dirt, just like her father. But after her surgery, Neji had changed. He looked at her with kinder eyes, and spoke with softer words. Her father, unfortunately, saw her surgery as a cut in his expenses, and decided to renounce her title as the Hyuuga Hotel Heiress, and instead gave it to her younger sister, Hanabi. This had been a big public story for awhile and it had made it hard for Hinata to find a job. But Neji pulled through for her and got her a job with his company's affiliate. But that was three years ago, and now Hinata was 27 with a great job and good friends. She smiled at her cousin, and he gave a small smile back.
 
“So…Neji-san, how h-how was your d-day?”
 
“It was fine, Hinata. Well…how are your friends doing?” Hinata looked at Neji; usually, he wouldn't care about something as trivial as that. He had only hung out with her friends once, her 25th birthday. They had gone to a karaoke bar, and Neji had gotten drunk and sang, “You are so beautiful to me,” to Tenten. Tenten didn't remember, because she was tipsy as well. Hinata, Sakura, and Ino had sworn to Neji to never tell Tenten. Though somehow, Tenten was still infatuated with Neji.
 
“They're f-fine,” Hinata responded in small pants. Neji slowed to a stop at the mile mark. Hinata slowed her breathing and took a swig from her water bottle.
 
“You're getting slow, little cousin,” Neji said with a smirk. Hinata looked at him, and then squirted him the water bottle.
 
Neji looked shocked for a moment, and then a small mischievous grin spread onto his face. He grabbed his water bottle, and aimed it for Hinata. Her eyes widened and she took off running down the course.
 
 
To Be Continued…
 
Author's Note: Okay that was chapter two. A little OOC in the last part, I know, but I thought that it would be cute.