Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Unraveling of a Dune ❯ Chapter 2

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

 
 
Unraveling of a Dune
PART II
By: emeraldoni
Disclaimer: I don't own Naruto. Obviously.
 
 
Working in the hospital was always interesting, Sakura found, but it didn't beat good-old, normal missions. Working as a medic-nin in an established building was haunted many Shinobi dreams, but Sakura found herself restless. And that was why she ended up in Tsunade's office, begging to get a real mission.
 
“Do you really dislike your job so much?” The Hokage was lounging in her chair, eyes half closed, body slack as she encountered Sakura's problem with fatigue.
 
“It's not that bad…” Sakura paused, trying to select her words wisely, “Well, it's just… boring. I'm not saying I want permanently on missions, but if you could just put me on a few…”
 
Tsunade heaved a comical sigh, “Alright. Wont be putting you on anything big though, and you wont be getting much of a choice.”
 
Sakura nodded in relief. Sometimes Tsunade could be unreasonably stubborn, especially when it involved something that had to do with the good of the village. The young Kunoichi's request was nothing that large… but really: who actually knew what went on in the Hokage's head?
 
Sakura bowed, hiding her slight smile behind her unevenly cropped hair, then exited the room.
 
Oooo000OOO000oooO
 
Gaara prowled impassively around the dry room. The space felt like a coffin, the enclosed space was sinking in on him as a teasing breeze whispered around his ankles.
 
This was so frustrating.
 
He hadn't been able to escape Suna in months. Months! There had been no reason to leave Suna.
 
There had been no excuse to visit Konoha.
 
The young Hokage cursed himself for his foolishness. How could he have gotten so attached to the girl? He barely knew, she had been beneath his gaze, in a manner of speaking. In a fit of childishness, Gaara blamed it on Naruto.
 
That was ridiculous though, because it was he had sat down on that certain day, it was he who had initiated the meetings, and it was his fault that he had become so attached to her. he didn't know what it was about her, but somehow she drew him in. maybe it was the way she didn't force him to talk, or the way that she allowed for silences, though they were far from uncomfortable.
 
She had an alluring aura, a presence that called to him like an insect to light. When she had acquired such magnetism, he didn't know, but it had caught him with ease. It certainly wasn't her looks that got to him.
 
Oh, she was pretty enough, but not in the traditional sense, and she was definitely no great beauty. Actually, when he thought about it, he hadn't thought of her as attractive until he got to know her better.
 
He didn't want these thoughts in his brain. He didn't want these thoughts about him at all.
 
The stone walls echoed with his restless pacing, and he let loosed a ferocious growl when the solid door creaked open.
 
He immediately reigned in his expression as a young genin scurried in, eyes wide with nervousness.
 
“What?” Gaara asked flatly.
 
Wringing his thin hands, the boy offered up his message, “Uh, KazeKage-sama, there is—uhm—a messenger from Konoha… at the gate—” Gaara wondered if this was normal behavior for the newly made genin, or if he had somehow cheated his way through the simple tests.
 
“I will meet them. You are dismissed.”
 
Both shinobi disappeared form the room as quickly as possible.
 
Oooo000OOO000oooO
 
Sakura stretched her arms overhead, reveling in the feel of her cracking spine. With a grunt of relief, she promptly swung her arm at the man bugging her.
 
So much for the `simple' missions Tsunade had delegated to her. Sakura found that—though it was only her on it—this mission had more loose ends than she could imagine. In the beginning, she was only supposed to go to the edge of the forest, right beside the desert. This fell through, though, when she was attacked. There was no reason for it, really, but apparently this young Shinobi (most likely a dimwitted missing-nin) had a bad day and felt like taking his aggressions out on her. It was mistake on his part, but she could understand just a tiny bit. She was feeling a little tense at the moment and this scraggly guy who barely knew the ways of a Kunai was the perfect distraction.
 
And, well, maybe she was dragging the little scuffle a bit longer than she should. But, that wasn't her fault; it just felt so good when she felt her fist hit solid flesh, and when the flesh gave away…
 
Of course, in a sort of but not so common moment of idiocy Sakura didn't pay attention to her surroundings, and as soon as the boy gave up, she noticed that the forest was just a distant memory, a thin line of green in an illusion of where she was just standing, and instead Sakura was surrounded by sand.
 
What the hell!? Where was her contact? This mission was turning out to me much more trouble than it was worth. Maybe Tsunade had finally a little bit too drunk and had given her a bogus mission?
 
Sakura was so busy contemplating this, that she didn't even notice the bruised Shinobi sitting up, shurigan in hand as he made for a second attack. Sakura twisted, eyes wide as he came at her, and she fell back with the flurry of sand that built up in front of her.
 
As the breeze settled, she noticed the young man was being restrained in a web of thick ropes of sand, and a few feet away stood Gaara, absolutely furious.
 
Sakura had never really seen Gaara when he was truly mad, but she had a feeling she was witnessing it at the moment. His eyes were wide and bloodshot with a feral grin revealing pointed teeth. He was terrifying.
 
“Gaara…”
 
He turned towards her, face molting just a little like the Gaara she knew, until he turned back to the man. The sand, barely noticeable at first, was slowly squeezing the life out of the mislead shinobi.
 
“Wait Gaara—”
 
And she was silenced when warm moisture dotted her face. It was silent for a moment, absolute silence, and Sakura stared in shock at the remains of the young shinobi. It was just a puddle of blood, slowly soaking into the earth. The sand was stained.
 
The Kunoichi tuned her gaze to the killer, eyes wide, mouth open slightly, as she tenderly wiped the speckles of blood from her face. It had cooled, and the feeling almost made her shudder.
 
Gaara had not calmed. He was clutching his head, squatting on the ground, a look of pure pain and agony across his features as he struggled with something Sakura would neve understand.
 
“Gaara…”
 
She was still in shock, and his inner struggle was not helping. She had never really killed before, especially someone who wasn't truly her enemy, who wasn't completely evil. That was a person, however misguided, and the way it had been done…
 
“Gaara.”
 
It was too much. What had happened, this was barely a B-ranked mission. How had it led to this? And why couldn't Gaara stand up? Why wouldn't he look at her? Why wouldn't he say her name in that stoic, strained voice of his? Why couldn't he just stop?
 
Sakura screamed.
 
“Gaara!”
 
And slowly the KazeKage stood, straitened, his eyes still wild, but calming as he looked at her, her blood stained body, the way her hands fell limply to her side as she looked upon him with and expression he couldn't name.
 
“Sakura…” he whispered, the name a line of hope, a savior that he couldn't believe. Sakura watched as Gaara stumbled towards her, reaching out. She flinched a little, but held her ground, and stiffened when his hands reached out to touch her.
 
They roamed around her body, brusquely, as he checked every part of her, and once he was done, he relaxed, mimicking her as his hands fell to his side.
 
“You are not injured.”
 
“No.” Sakura was not one for monosyllabic words, but she couldn't seem to get anything else out. Her body began to shake, tremble, and she didn't know why.
 
As she leaned in, Sakura found it funny that she was finding comfort in the killer.
 
Oooo000OOO000oooO
 
“I haven't been here in such a long time.”
 
Gaara was silent, leaning against the rock beside her with his arms crossed. His face was impassive, but she could somehow tell that the young man was frustrated about something. She waited. He would have to bring it up soon.
 
“You are not careful.”
 
She was right, and she stayed silent.
 
“He could have hurt you.”
 
“I had it all under control, he couldn't have hurt me.” Sakura was trying to make her voice as light as she could, hoping he was do so as well. She knew better though. Gaara was not one to take things lightly.
 
Gaara practically snarled, “Your back was turned to him!”
 
She was silent, the rough stone in her back distracting, contrasting the soft sand beneath her legs. She wondered where Gaara's gourd was, it had somehow vanished out of her sight. Or did he ever have it in the first place? She couldn't remember.
 
“You haven't come to Konoha in a long time.”
 
“I have come.”
 
“Not to me.”
 
He was silent.
 
Her voice was trembling slightly, and Gaara found his insides winding up, even his demon did not like that. He wanted to run when the tears started to come.
 
“I n-need up—updates on N-Naruto a-and Sasuke, right?”
 
Gaara's knuckles were tight. How come all she thought about was them? What about him?
 
“And I've missed the messenger.”
 
Sakura was silent then, waiting for what he would say. She had told Tsunade that she was bored with her job, but that wasn't all true. She missed him. It brought about insecurity she thought she had buried, one where she depended on another, one where her life was lived for the love of another.
 
She was aiming for a childish form of revenge. Maybe he would come and visit, only to find her gone. That would teach him. Then her mind would reel off in some other direction where she died and he regretted not visiting her, and was sad and felt pain.
 
She hated herself when she thought that. Gaara was not unfamiliar with death. It would probably not be a big deal to him. Not even if he cared.
 
Anyway, he had felt enough pain; she doubted she could add anymore though a heroic or desperate death. He would see weakness.
 
“You have missed me.” Sakura couldn't decide whether it was a question or a statement, but it sounded more like the latter.
 
“Yeah.” She stared at the sky that glared down at them, “A lot.”
 
Her tears still ran, but not as sobs, more of an unneeded, silent acceptance. The feel of his fingertips wiping them away sent a shock through her, one completely different than her state earlier.
 
“I don't like when you do that.” His face was impassive, “Don't.”
 
She leaned into his touch, reveling in the feel, her hand covering his. It was warm, and large. Who thought she could think—feel—something so…normal, so…exciting with Gaara?
 
“Thank you.” She whispered.
 
He nodded, and she relaxed, letting her body lean on his. She knew they would have to part soon. She would go report her failed mission (though that wasn't entirely her fault) and Gaara would have to return to his duties of being Village Head.
 
She wouldn't think of that now though. instead, she would focus on the way her hand felt in his, how his shoulder fit her perfectly and how his warmth felt wondrous even in the desert heat.
 
Sakura should probably have felt fear for her pillar, the one she leaned against, the one who leaned against her. She didn't though, through some intangible change of fate, Sakura felt herself feeling something completely unexpected. She felt comfort, patience (and a little impatience, sometimes), contented, an understanding. Belonging.
 
Sakura found herself in love, a true love, for the first time in her life.
 
Oooo000OOO000oooO
 
“So,” Tsunade said, tapping a pen against her desk, “You failed the mission.”
 
“The contact never showed.”
 
The Hokage leaned back in her chair, a level look on her spelled face.
 
“He should have.”
 
“He didn't.”
 
Tsunade sighed.
 
“Any other details I should know about?”
 
“Nothing much. I was attacked, but it was taken care of Gaara.” Well, she couldn't lie to the Hokage, now could she?
 
(She tried once. somehow Tsunade had sniffed it out and put her though an unimaginable hell of training, and Sakura never tried to tell a falsehood again, especially when her sensei was interested in her answer. Sakura had come out generally unscathed, except for her unreasonable fear of brown covered books.)
 
That got Tsunade's attention, “You were attacked? By who?”
 
“Just a rogue shinobi, but, like I said, he was taken care of.”
 
“Did you bring him back?”
 
Sakura looked curious, “No.” Why would she?
 
“Did you detain him?”
 
Tsunade was exasperated, “You just let him go?” She asked, flinging her hands up. She seemed confident that her student couldn't just kill on a whim. Well, Sakura guessed she was right.
 
“No.”
 
“So, what happened to him, then?”
 
“He's dead.”
 
Tsunade was silent for a moment, and during that time it seemed as though complete exhaustion overcame her.
 
“The KazeKage was there.”
 
Sakura nodded, her hair swinging up and down.
 
“Okay… I can guess what happened.”
 
Sakura was silent, not sure how to respond, “He's not bad…”
 
“I know, I know…just, Sakura?”
 
“Yeah?”
 
“Be careful, okay?”
 
“Of what?”
 
Tsunade just shook her head, smiling, “Nothing.”
 
As Sakura turned to leave she left one final request.
 
“I would like any missions that would send me to Suna.”
 
Tsunade was silent, her features creased; almost she didn't like what she was hearing. She nodded her head though, then waved the girl out.
 
“Dammit. He's worse than Sasuke.”
 
She needed some sake.
 
Oooo000OOO000oooO
 
A/N: Well, there you go. I hope you liked it. I feel as though I changed the tone to the story slightly. The first and second parts have different feels to them, almost like different stories. Oh well, I had to get it moving sort of, and I wanted you more in their heads.
 
Anyway, I'm thinking the next part might be the last, but I am unsure. It's not like I've written it or anything, so… we'll see. I'm also thinking of doing an AU in the near future. It will be my first one, if I actually get around to it. Again, we'll see.
 
I do love reviews, they uplift my nearly nonexistent ego. I have the worst self-confidence. And I could really use some advice.
 
Thanks a bunch, and Until next time…
 
emeraldoni