Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Weapons of Old and New ❯ Five ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
Weapons of Old and New
Or, Not Another Super Naruto Story
(Really. It's Not.)
By Andrew J. Talon
Disclaimer: Oh, yeah. I SO own Naruto. That's why I have to bust my ass working at minimum wage to pay for college. Psh. Sure.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Three ANBU hunting cells after members of Akatsuki have been found dead in their safehouses in the last month. Deaths were consistent with Akatsuki members intelligence indicated were nowhere near the area, nor were they the Akatsuki members the cells were observing or hunting. Once is a fluke. Three times means that someone's talking who shouldn't. Mission objective is to find the leak and silence it, Naruto read from the file, perched on his bed with his side-table lamp illuminating the papers. He'd started reading it the moment the sun began to come up, having gotten a few hours of sleep as Tsunade had prescribed. His face was set in a frown.
 
Okay… Okay, let's think this through. Naruto got up, the report still in his hands, as he wandered to the kitchen. Opening a cabinet, he grimaced-All the ramen was well past the expiration point, and the milk he'd left in the kitchen smelt like it had come alive, died, and its corpse burst into a stinking mess.
 
Forgoing breakfast for the moment, he slumped on his couch and re-read the file, thinking hard.
 
Who would be in a position to leak the info, and who would have a motive? The people who passed the orders along were the first obvious suspects, but the report went on to say that none of the secretaries on the first level of dispatching orders were dirty. No ties to Akatskui whatsoever.
 
As a matter of fact, Akatsuki had little ties period. They were almost like a leisure club of powerful, murdering sociopaths, whose information came from either the member's personal backgrounds or the local gossip. They had little interest in racketeering like other criminal organizations. Akatsuki just took what they wanted or needed.
 
Not quite a criminal organization then, in the traditional sense right? More like, what did Old Man call them…? Terrorists. Naruto nodded. That certainly fit with Akatsuki's patterns-They used their power, but more often than not used the fear of that power to get what they wanted. Naruto leaned back, his eyes closed and his face in a frown.
 
Doesn't make any sense… Why would Akatsuki bother with an informant anyway? They've got nothing to fear from even upper-level ANBU missing nin hunters. So just what are they after…?
 
His stomach growled. Naruto sighed, and put the file down. The clock read seven o'clock in the morning. The meeting Tsunade was going to have concerning this problem would be in three hours. Naruto showered, and just as he got out of the tub the doorbell rang. With a sigh, he pulled a towel around himself and walked to the door. He took a deep whiff with his nose, and stretched out his chakra senses… Before smiling, and opening the door.
 
“Hinata-chan! It's great to see you!” The pale-eyed girl (No, Naruto thought, looking her up and down for only a moment, definitely a WOMAN) gaped at the blond young man, her face turning bright red. Naruto kept smiling, even though he began to get a little concerned at Hinata's heart rate and blood pressure.
 
“Hinata-chan? You okay? What's wrong?” Hinata took a deep breath, cleared her throat, and managed to compose herself enough to get out:
 
“U-Um… H-Hello, N-Naruto-kun… I… I didn't k-know you w-w-were butt-I MEAN BACK!” Hinata cried out, looking mortified. Naruto blinked, and looked down at himself.
 
“If you're uncomfortable with me, er… Being just in a towel?” He offered, but Hinata rapidly shook her head.
 
“Nononono! That's not, I mean, y-you're fine! I mean, you're FINE being undressed-I MEAN DRESSED! Really, f-fine b-b-being un-Uh, I mean…!” Naruto grinned. Hinata was always so nervous around him. Frankly he found it adorable. Same Hinata-chan… Well, not the same, but still…
 
“Hinata, did you need something?” Naruto asked, taking a hand and gently putting it on her shoulder, hoping to steady her a bit. Hinata's face seemed to blush even more brightly, and she appeared to be having trouble breathing.
 
“Hinata?! Do you need to go to the hospital?” Naruto inquired, his ears giving him very distressing information about the Hyuuga heiress's heart. Hinata shoved a box she'd been holding into his hands.
 
“I'msorryIwastoldtopickthisupforyouanddeliveritbyTsunada-sa maI'llseeyoulaterbye!” With that, Hinata rushed off, leaving a very confused Naruto standing in his doorway.
 
“… Oh…Kay…” Naruto shook his head, closing the door and walking to the couch. He set the box down, before giving it a cursory check with his chakra senses. His eyes widened.

Huh? This is a seal the Old Man taught me how to make and break… The appropriate jutsu used to release the seal, Naruto opened the box. On top was a book, bound in an unmarked leather cover, which he opened with a thoughtful frown.
 
Section 6-Classified Rank S-11
 
Section Logbook
 
Operative S-08 “Nighthawk”
 
A yellow note that looked and smelled newer than the paper in the rest of the book had been stuck in the inside of the cover.
 
Informants and operatives still left - Pages 15, 19, 22, 23, 29, 32, 33, 39, 43, 44.
 
Naruto turned to page 15, and his eyes widened as he read the notes on the first of Tusume's (or “Nighthawk's”) informants. You've got to be kidding me…
 
Naruto set that aside for a moment, to look over the rest of the stuff in the box. He was pleased to note that a case containing the parts (and instructions on how to assemble) of a Metal Jutsu, plus the ammunition, was included, alongside a protective vest, more of the black fatigues he'd liked, and a few sets of various civilian clothing, kits, and a few more notebooks. Journals, he realized, skimming a few of them. He also noted the explosive tags placed in the box that would have gone off if Naruto had opened the box without the proper jutsu. He smirked a bit at that, before getting changed. Checking the clock, he still had two hours before the meeting… And he still needed breakfast. He checked page 15 of the first journal again, and smiled. Two birds with one stone.
 
After making sure the supplies sent by Tusume's will were secured and hidden, Naruto looked over the Metal Jutsu's components. One in particular stuck out, and a quick reference to the instruction manual said that Tusume's father had made it to minimize the noise made by the weapon's firing. He attacked it to his own Metal Jutsu, before tucking it away in his weapon's pouch.
 
The young man looked himself over in a mirror. He had forgone the utility vest, instead wearing a longer jacket over a black shirt and his fatigue pants and boots. Tusume's journal said that such an outfit was dark and tough enough for shinobi work, but casual enough that he could blend in with crowds. Not too many people would pay him a second glance, as darker colors tended to attract less attention than bright ones. His forehead protector tucked away safely in his pocket, he headed out the door.
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
Teuchi Ichiraku smiled broadly as a familiar blond head parted the curtains of his ramen bar. He didn't look the least bit surprised as his favorite customer stepped in and sat down at the counter.
 
“Naruto! Finally! I know you said `three years', but still! I was beginning to wonder if you'd found a new favorite!” Naruto smirked and shook his head, breathing deeply of the fried noodle goodness.
 
“Mmm… Not a chance in hell, Old Man! Shrimp, beef, chicken, and miso if you please! I'm paying ahead of time, by the way,” Naruto went on, passing a lump of cash to the surprised owner. Ichiraku smirked.
 
“Oh ho! Seems that good for nothing sensei of yours did something right!” The bowls were made and given to Naruto, who hungrily devoured them all as though he'd been on a desert island for years. Sighing happily, he patted his stomach with a grin.
 
“Damn… Haven't lost your touch in the least, old man!” Naruto looked around. “Where's Ayame?” Ichiraku shrugged with a small smile.
 
“Off to visit her relatives. I swear, it's the only way to keep the suitors from sweeping her off her feet,” he growled. “Buncha empty-headed, rich pretty boys.” Ichiraku smiled conspiratorially at Naruto. “Don't suppose you'd be willing to give her a shot?”
 
Naruto laughed good-naturedly. “I'm not sure I'm her type, Old Man.”
 
“Nonsense! You're a fair sight better than anyone else who shows up here!” Teuchi considered the memory of Kakashi's bare face, and grimaced in grudging respect. “Well, except for one man, but still…” Naruto shrugged, still smiling.
 
“Well, Old Man, I've got a confession to make.”
 
“I look like a priest, boy?”
 
“To me? You might as well be, o' blessed maker of Holy Ramen,” Naruto joked, to which Ichiraku laughed heartily. “No, what I mean is, well, my motives in coming here include more than breakfast and catching up with old friends.” Ichiraku smiled pleasantly, leaning forward.

”Well, by all means my son, speak your sins!” Naruto took a deep breath.
 
“I learned a lot during my three years… But I learned the most in the last couple of months. From a man named Andoryuu Tusume.” Yep, he knew him, Naruto surmised, as the Other Old Man's heartbeat jumped a bit.
 
The ramen master leaned back, his expression suddenly subdued and serious. A dark light settled behind Ichiraku's eyes.
 
“… I was sorry to hear about his death,” the man sighed. “A good man, friend…” Here Teuchi smiled in fond remembrance. “And an even better customer.”
 
Naruto nodded. Ichiraku raised an eyebrow.
 
“So… I'm guessing you know… What I did.” Naruto nodded again, his expression schooled neutrally.
 
“Won't make me stop eating your ramen. Or paying for it,” Naruto responded quietly. Ichiraku nodded.
 
“Hm. So… What do you need to know?” Naruto blinked a bit.
 
“Just like that?” Ichiraku smirked.
 
“Just like that. You seem surprised?” Naruto shrugged.
 
“A little…”
 
“I've been out of… That kind of information exchange for a while, Naruto,” Ichiraku said quietly. “My sources are friends… Which makes their protection even more important.” Naruto nodded, and leaned forward.
 
“What can you tell me about the three ANBU cells that were all…?” Naruto left it at that. Ichiraku scribbled something down on a piece of paper, and passed it to Naruto.
 
“This should tell you how to find out. If you need more, I'll have it by tomorrow,” Ichiraku said quietly. Naruto looked it over, nodded, and pocketed the piece of paper.
 
“I think that's all I'll need… But thank you, Old Man.” Naruto left an extra large tip, before he turned and headed out. Ichiraku sighed, looking down at the pots of cooking ramen.
 
“Nighthawk… You picked a hell of a time to come back, even if only in spirit,” he murmured to himself.
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
One and a half hours later
 
Tanto Iruki sighed heavily, opening the door to his small apartment just as the sun was beginning to warm the air and the village began to wake up. His duty shift at ANBU HQ had been long and difficult, and he was looking forward to some rest. He stumbled for bed, not bothering to change clothes.
 
“I'm sure Tsunade-sama wouldn't mind you making money on the side, Iruki,” said someone quietly behind Iruki, making him freeze. “Just not by selling secrets.”
 
Iruki turned around, his eyes narrowing and his mouth sneering in disgust as he perceived the Demon Fox behind him, sitting in his chair, looking at him in a cool, detached manner.
 
“What are you doing here, Demon?” The blond outcast's bright blue eyes seemed to pierce his soul, but the chuunin maintained his cool.
 
“You meet Izumo Kamizuki for ramen once a week. You are old friends from the Academy. He keeps track of all shinobi entering and leaving the village. Including ANBU, even on secret missions, though he does not know what their missions are.” Iruki grit his teeth, trying to keep calm. How could he…? He can't. It's not possible.
 
“I don't see where you're going with his, you bastard, so get the hell out of my house!” Uzumaki didn't move, still sitting and staring at him, still perfectly composed.
 
“You are in charge of requisitions, getting passports and fake identifications and documents for ANBU teams. Not to mention real identifications for hunter nins when they renew them. The rank of the license determines how high a criminal a hunter nin can legally claim,” Naruto went on. “You personally signed off on the specific disguises and documentation for the ANBU teams killed in this month by Akatsuki.” Iruki's sneer grew.
 
“You trying to scare me, Demon? That's circumstantial at best! If Tsunade-sama was sure I was the leak everyone's been going on about, they'd have sent an ANBU squad, not some piss-ant genin.” Naruto raised an eyebrow.
 
“You're right. Those two things, on their own, wouldn't have pegged you as the leak. Even the extra money you've been depositing lately wouldn't pin the blame on you. Two things, however, do.” Iruki walked contemptuously towards the kitchenette of his apartment, grabbing some juice and a spare weapon's pouch from the refrigerator, the latter of which he slipped into his pants covertly. He turned back to Naruto, glaring as he poured himself some juice into a glass.
 
“Oh? And what might those be?”
 
“One, you've been meeting with an Akatsuki informant one week before each attack either here or at Ichiraku's. Said informant represents a few towns that have been paying Akatsuki to attack the towns of their rivals, and wouldn't like that to be uncovered. And two… The only people who know that there is a definite leak are the Hokage, Shizune, the head of ANBU, the Rookie Nine and their former senseis… And you.” Naruto smiled darkly. “I wonder how you made it into the chain of command.”
 
Iruki smirked. “Shame about that, then. We barely got to know eachother, Demon.” He reached into his weapon's pouch to draw a kunai… And found nothing. His eyes widened, as Naruto held out a few weapons that were supposed to be in that pouch.
 
“I actually thought you'd have kept your weapons under your pillow. Your informant straightened that out before I came here, at least,” the blond said smoothly. Iruki gulped.
 
“… How did he die?”
 
“Your informant?” Naruto asked. A shrug. “Not well.”
 
“Made you work for it, hm?” Iruki noted in false sympathy. Naruto said nothing. “Poor demon… I thought you'd relish in the kill.”
 
“Contrary to popular belief, no,” Naruto returned flatly. Iruki sighed.
 
“Oh well… They say that the first is also the hardest, yes? The second should be-“A brief, high-pitched burst of air cut Iruki off, and he looked down at his chest. A bloody hole had appeared in the center of his vest. His eyes wide as he felt his heart stop beating, he fell over onto the kitchen floor, his glass shattering and juice spilling everywhere.
 
“Yes… Considerably,” the demon said sadly, before everything went black.
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
Naruto left the apartment, closing the door behind him… Before he leaned back against that same door, gritting his teeth and shutting his eyes tightly.
 
I am a demon… Aren't I? The Metal Jutsu in his hand felt incredibly heavy all of a sudden. Old Man Ichiraku had told him where the informant had been staying, but due to his diplomatic status, and that his village was tired directly to Akatsuki and not him, was left alone by ANBU. Naruto had gotten the information out of him with a bit of the demon fox's chakra turning his aura red, but then the informant had attacked… And Naruto had used the Metal Jutsu without thinking.
 
One shot, one kill. One shot, one kill… There was a difference in killing someone who was attacking him or his loved ones, and someone who was unarmed. Tusume had told him that people didn't need kunai or jutsu to kill, that information was just as lethal a weapon, but even that could not make the pain go away.
 
He checked his watch. Half an hour left before the meeting. He'd already told ANBU to pick up the bodies, submitting his evidence before he'd actually gone to Iruki's house. Tsunade would receive his report when he showed up. It'd probably make the Hokage cross to know that the mission she'd organized to stop the leak had already been accomplished… But Naruto had wanted to see everyone else so badly.
 
Well, you got your wish Naruto, his mind said harshly. You still want to meet them?
 
Naruto stood still for a few moments… Before tucking the Metal Jutsu back in his jacket and heading for the Hokage's tower. Far outside of the range of even his great senses, a lone figure with binoculars observed him. He touched his ear.
 
“Yes sir… Job is done…. I think we may have found a new candidate for recruitment…”
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
The scene between Naruto and Iruki shamelessly based upon the opening of the new “Casino Royale”. Next chapter: The reunion, and the fallout…