Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Why Mourn We Not in Blood ❯ Kakuzu ( Chapter 3 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
I’m going to finish up Kakuzu. I’m not too sure about this one, though. If you’ve made it this far (read: past Sasori) I would really appreciate a review.

Disclaimer: Do I really need to repeat myself?

__________________________________________________________ ______________

The answer was the same every time. “What are you doing, sensei?” they would ask, their voices laced with confusion.

She would give them a mournful smile and reply, “Teaching you the value of a human life.”

Uncomprehending, the three would stand behind their teacher as she broke the news about comrades they had never met. They watched the reactions in silence, each thinking their own thoughts. Having been lucky enough not to have lost anyone, they strained to understand the emotional responses that could be evoked from the families.

Ultimately, the team wound up in the wrong place at the wrong time and the three became two. This left Kakuzu standing with his last teammate a few steps behind Oku-sensei as she tried to explain to Shigeru’s parents what had happened. It had been an accident, really; two neighboring villages had gotten into a fight over the rights to a nearby mine and Shigeru had gotten caught in the crossfire. However, this did nothing to stop his mother from collapsing in grief and his father, a hardened shinobi, from shedding tears.

Kakuzu shifted uncomfortably. Glancing at his teammate beside him, he was vaguely aware that his teacher avoided the fact that the villagers hadn’t cared about the casualty and simply kept on fighting. Were the rights to the mine actually that important? Surely each village had their own fatalities. He risked a look at Shigeru’s parents. Didn’t people mourn like that over them?

He closed his eyes and took a deep breath. It wasn’t the mine that mattered, he realized, it was the money that one could gain from it. People’s lives could be wasted over a few pieces of metal, and it could be justified. Shinobi did the same thing; assasination missions were typically coveted due to the sizeable pay. Did the value of a human life have a tangible currency? He opened his eyes in time to see Oku-sensei place a cash compensation in the hand of Shigeru‘s father.

__________________________________________________________ ______________

Reviews? Please?