Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Why Mourn We Not in Blood ❯ Tobi ( Chapter 2 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Chapter 2! And I got a review! Thank you Smaragd!

As a side note, yay for Zabuza! Sorry. I’m watching reruns of that arc.

Disclaimer: If I owned Naruto, the villains would have a lot more background explained.

_______________________________________________________ _________________

Tobi peered cautiously through the crack of an almost open door. His mother, a rare civilian in a ninja village, was hunched over the kitchen sink, one hand over her mouth and the other clutching the edge of the counter. Soft sounds reached his ears and his shoulders slumped. She was crying again. From as far back as he could remember, she’d had these moments. He could only assume that they were the result of the loss of his father, an event which occurred hardly two months before his birth. However, her breakdowns had been happening within shorter spans of each other ever since Tobi’s brother was killed in action a year ago. He glanced down at the paper in his hand and sighed. After a moment of preparation, he swung the door open and strode into the kitchen.

He came to a halt about two feet behind her. From his new position, her trembling shoulders and heavy sobs were more apparent than ever. Tentatively, he tried to catch her attention. “Mother?” He hoped she wouldn’t have an adverse reaction to it. After all, that was what Katsuya had always called her. His mother didn’t respond. He shot his shoes a dejected look.

Katsuya had been an exemplary shinobi and, more importantly, their mother’s son. It wasn’t that he had been her favorite son; in her eyes, he was her only son. To her, Tobi equated to little more than thin air. Katsuya had been praised and Tobi ignored; Katsuya’s failures were deemed learning experiences while Tobi’s accomplishments went unnoticed. That was how it had always been.

Tobi took a deep breath and stepped up to the counter. With a hesitant glance at his mother, he placed the paper he was carrying on the counter, among the pile of other A’s that he hoped would make her proud of him. Of course, that plan depended on her actually looking at said pile. Nevertheless, Tobi was sure that one day she’d see them. Then she would have to love him like she had Katsuya. He knew she would eventually view him as a good boy. He hoped he wasn’t wrong.

___________________________________________________________ _____________

Review please!