One Piece Fan Fiction ❯ Cursed Island of the Devil Fruit Gods ❯ Phenomena ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Cursed Island of the Devil Fruit Gods

Chapter 1: Phenomena

Aboard their brand-new ship the Thousand Sunny, built by their newest nakama, the cyborg Franky, the Straw Hat crew sailed from Water 7 to their next destination, which they thought was supposed to be Merman Island. Unfortunately for them, fate had a different idea in store for them...fate, or something more sinister...

"BAKA!" Sanji snarled, kicking Luffy square in the face. "The locks on the refrigerator are there for a reason!" he shouted.
"But I'm hungry! And I'm captain, I should be able to eat when I want!" Luffy protested, rubbing his sore nose.
"The way you eat we'll run out of food in a day! I'm in charge of the food!" Sanji lit up a cigarette, putting his foot down.
"Sanji-kun...I'm hungry." Nami's voice could be heard from outside the galley.
"C-coming, Nami-swaaaan!" Sanji immediately opened the locks on the refrigerator and retrieved a meal for her, slamming it shut and locking it again to keep Luffy from getting back in there.

Zoro snored loudly up on deck, unaware of the bizarre cloud formations above their ship. Chopper was in his room reading and Usopp was tinkering with new inventions, and began loading new and old types of ammunition into his backpack. Apparently everyone was either confident enough in their skills that they weren't going to be training, or they were going full-tilt in order to be ready for what happened next. But nothing could really prepare them for what awaited them, only pure luck and their own inner strength would see them through it.

"Nami, the weather is turning a bit strange. Should we head inside, or put on rain gear?" Robin asked Nami, who had suddenly stopped sunning herself now that the sun had hidden behind a large cloud.
Nami finished the sandwich Sanji had given her and smiled. "I guess you're right. I need to stay out here with the Lock Post, but if Sanji-kun could fetch me my raincoat..."
"Coming right up!" Sanji was out of breath by the time he finished running up on deck with Nami's coat, and a small change of clothes.
"Thank you, Sanji-kun." Nami smiled cutely, and Sanji swayed a little before slipping back below deck to make sure Luffy wasn't still trying to break the locks on the refrigerator. Sure enough, Luffy was now resorting to trying to chew them off. "OI! FRANKY!" Sanji called.
The burly cyborg popped up out of his cabin and looked around. "What?" he said, climbing up.
"Can you put a booby-trap on this thing so this baka can't get in?" Sanji pointed at Luffy.
Franky laughed. "I'll work on it." he nodded. "But it's supposed to be made of seastone...I'm surprised he isn't fainting trying to get in."
"He's too hungry to feel dizzy from the seastone." Sanji chuckled. "But it won't help him keep going if he'll lose strength from being so hungry."
Sure enough, Luffy was soon snoring at the foot of the refrigerator. "Just leave him, we can kick him out of the way when it's time for dinner." Franky laughed.

"Hey guys!" Nami called. It was very windy up on deck now, and she was being blown back by it, until she was blown completely off her feet.
"Nami!!!" Sanji cried, catching her. But he was nearly blown off his feet as well until Franky grabbed them both; his heavy metal-filled body wasn't affected too much.
"Is it a hurricane?" Zoro opened his eyes at last. Less than a second later, a hailstone the size of a basketball hit him on the head and shattered. "Ow..." he growled, standing up and drawing his sword. But even he could do little against a raging tempest that was now showering the ship with large (and sharp) hailstones. Nami shrieked and Sanji escorted her inside. "Tatsumaki..." Zoro took a fighting stance, but as he slashed at the air all he managed to do was create an even bigger windstorm that blew him back to the railing. "Damn..." he muttered, and stuck his swords into the deck to hold on and keep from being blown overboard.
Luffy finally woke up and instead of trying to break open the refrigerator again, went outside. "Zoro! Can I borrow one of your swords?" he called, until a hailstone hit him square in the face, stretching his head out like Usopp's slingshot, and fired the hailstone back into the air. "OW! What's going on?" he again rubbed his sore nose.
"The weather's blitzing us!" Franky told him. Leaping up, Franky attempted to battle the hailstones, being the only one who could resist the wind, which was now affecting Luffy, sending the rubber-limbed captain flying backwards back into the galley. Chopper and Usopp now ran up from their cabins to find out what was happening. Franky managed to smash a few of the hailstones but twenty more replaced each one he shattered. "This stuff is going to make a hole in the ship! We'll sink!" He shouted.
"Not if I can help it!" Luffy shouted, running back on deck. With Chopper in his gorilla-like form holding him for support, Luffy tried to do what Franky did. "Gomu-Gomu no Gatling!" he roared, and began to shatter the barrage of hailstones until they began to wear his hands down. "Ow..." he panted, his hands slightly bloody. "It didn't work! Baka weather!"
Chopper took him back down below to patch up Luffy's hands, and Usopp dared to peek out, before shrieking and diving back below, narrowly avoiding getting hit by the hailstones. "This hasn't happened to us before! Why is the weather so crazy?" Nami panicked.
The hailstones stopped falling after a few more seconds. But they weren't falling anywhere else, even behind them, so they hadn't merely passed through it, it had simply stopped dead. "Why'd they stop all of a sudden?" Franky looked about at the air. The clouds had darkened so greatly that it looked almost like it was night. "Too dark...we can't see land even if we're right on top of it."
Zoro joined him in looking around. "I don't like this...I don't think this just the weather." he said suspiciously.
The others emerged as well. "Nami-san...where are we?" Sanji asked her.
Nami gasped and shrieked. "The Lock Post! It's not pointing at Merman Island anymore! It's spinning around like a normal compass! We...we're lost!" she trembled.
"NO WAY!" Everyone shouted.
Electricity began to crackle in the air. Thunder rumbled in the sky. Lightning streaked throughout the clouds and seemed to all be gathering at one place. "You've got to be kidding me..." Franky opened his mouth wide.
Seconds later thunder streaked down and struck the sea right near them; a huge geyser erupted next to them and soaked everyone. "We're gonna die!" Usopp began to sob, running around like mad. More and more lightning bolts descended, growing nearer every second.
"Luffy! Where are you?!" Nami cried, knowing Luffy could ward off electricity. But Luffy couldn't hear her over all the noise and remained below deck.
"Here it comes!" Zoro stood at the ready, believing he could fend off the thunder with another technique. A lightning bolt bigger than the ship itself fell upon them. Everything went white. And then everything went black.

The crashing waves on the shore of an island woke them. Unfortunately, they were all on other sides of said island. They were all separated into small groups, miraculously, having washed up on the beaches in spite of half of them having the curse of Devil Fruits. Sanji opened his eyes. "Shit..." he grumbled. He didn't have any cigarettes and he really needed a smoke right now. He looked around, his head throbbing, his body feeling half-paralyzed, achy and stiff. He saw Chopper laying there in the same condition. "Oi...Emergency Food Supply...wake up." he crawled over to the tiny Zoan and shook him. Chopper slowly awoke. Neither of them appeared any worse for the wear, Sanji's clothes were completely intact without a single stain or tear, which was strange. Impossible, in fact. But there they were.
"Sanji...?" he whimpered. "What happened...where are we?" Chopper asked.
"Our ship got struck by lightning...you were below deck with Luffy, so it's no wonder you don't remember. As for where we are..." Sanji took a look at their surroundings and noticed they were on the beach of an unfamiliar island, with thick jungle just beyond the edge of the beach. It looked like Little Garden in a way, but Sanji doubted there were any humongous dinosaurs roaming around the vast jungles. In the distance was a volcano, but Sanji couldn't tell if it was active. "We better find the others, at any rate. Come on, hopefully there's food on this island." he helped Chopper up. Thankfully Chopper's medical bag was still firmly on his back and the contents were intact. Sanji didn't want to have to defend Chopper in any battles if Chopper didn't have any Rumble Balls handy. "I just hope Nami-san and Robin-chan are okay..." he smiled, imagining how wonderful it would feel to have both of them thanking him for saving them. "Come on, Chopper, hurry!" Sanji suddenly began to break into a jog, energized by the thought of such a reward.

Zoro slept face-down on his section of beach, alone, none of the others anywhere near him. It was well-hidden, surrounded by rocks and mountains, and the water around it was full of jagged rocks making almost a shield around that area of the island...it would have taken a large wave to cause him to wash up over them to this part of the beach. His body was perfectly unharmed, though he wouldn't have known by the way he felt. He ached all over and could barely move. He felt something fuzzy nudging against him and became slightly more aware, though his eyes remained closed. "Stop it, Chopper...I told you I don't want any damn bandages..." he muttered. Whatever had nudged him snorted, and began to growl. "Oh, hell..." Zoro's eyes popped open. He was staring into the eyes of a wolf the size of Ritchie the Lion from Buggy's crew. He gulped. He could barely move his arm but it wouldn't do him any good even if he could; his swords were nowhere to be found.
"Anu! What have you got there?" a woman's voice called out. "Oh, my..." the woman the voice belonged to appeared and the wolf began to pant like a dog and laid down as the woman kneeled before Zoro. "Are you all right?" she asked him.
"Who are you?" Zoro craned his neck painfully to look up at her. He flinched when she touched him. He didn't like depending on others for help. He turned over onto his back and sat up slowly. "And where am I?"
"I am Shishou, and this is Anu." she told him, pointing to the wolf.
"Okay...that's a start. How about telling me where we are? Do you live here or did you wash up here too?" he rubbed his eyes, the sunlight painful to his just recently opened eyes.
"This a cursed island. It is very unfortunate that you washed up here. Now you may never leave." she told him.
"What the hell kind of answer is that? Do you say this to all the tourists?" He scoffed. "Listen, just lead me to the nearest harbor and I'll be on my way." he told her.
"What kind of man are you that you do not believe what someone tells you when you lay helpless beside them? I told you this island is cursed and you may never leave. There is no such thing as a harbor or a boat or anything that will lead you from here. Nor would any of them do you any good if there were." Shishou repeated.
"Says you." Zoro now stood up. His anger and frustration were fueling his recovery. "Where are my swords?" he looked around.
"Swords? You are a swordsman?" the woman smiled, surprisingly. "Come with me. I think you would do well to follow." she turned and began to lead him away.
Zoro didn't have any idea what else to do so, after growling back at Anu to show that he wasn't afraid of the wolf, he followed Shishou to wherever it was she was taking him.

Usopp came to his senses and felt himself lying on a hard, bumpy surface. "What the...?" he struggled to open his eyes. He was staring directly into Franky's open, snoring mouth. He was laying on top of the cyborg. "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!" Usopp cried, loudly enough to wake the dead. Franky sat bolt upright so quickly it sent Usopp flying.
"What the hell is going on?!" Franky roared, whipping off his hands and readying his machine gun arms. "Long nose? What're you screaming about, I don't see anything!"
"So...horrifying..." Usopp whimpered, laying smashed against a rock.
Franky spotted Nico Robin laying a few feet away from them, just starting to wake up, it looked like. "Robin-chan, are you okay?" Franky asked her.
"Yes, I'm fine...but where are we?" she asked them, sitting up.
"I wish I knew...where's everyone else?" Franky looked around for the others but they were nowhere to be seen.
"We should go look for them." Robin suggested.
"What? Are you crazy? There could be monsters of all kinds in that jungle!" Usopp protested, trembling.
"Fine, you wait here while we go in." Franky grinned.
Usopp sobbed pathetically as he surrendered and followed the two of them into the jungle.

On the last section of beach the Straw Hats had washed up on, were Luffy and Nami. Luffy was snoring loudly, as Nami awoke, moaning, and crawling on her hands and knees over to him, not feeling enough strength yet to stand up.
"Luffy." Nami tapped Luffy's shoulder. "Luffy." she shook him firmly. "LUFFY!" She took out her Clima Tact and bashed him over the head with it.
"OW! What'd you do that for, Nami?!" Luffy instantly snapped awake.
"Look where we are." Nami said, motioning with her head to the jungle. Her Lock Post was still intact, but it was still going insane. "I don't know if we'll be able to find our way away from here. I don't even know where our ship is...or where the others are." she said softly, apparently on the verge of tears.
"Wow! It's a jungle! I haven't seen one since we met Broggy and Dorry! I bet there are dinosaurs like in Little Garden!" Luffy clapped his hands. "Come on, Nami, let's find Sanji so he can make me breakfast!" he grabbed Nami by the arm and dragged her protesting and crying, into the jungle.