One Piece Fan Fiction ❯ Cursed Island of the Devil Fruit Gods ❯ Warm Welcome ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 2: Warm Welcome


Franky, Usopp and Robin trekked through the jungle, hearing very few noises. Robin wore an expression of concern on her face. "I think this island may be inhabited. With so few animals, they must be getting hunted by man." she informed Franky and Usopp. Usopp whimpered and stayed close behind Franky.
"Is that so? Well who's to say if they're dangerous or not? Let's try to find 'em, I say." Franky suggested.
"No! NO! Bad idea!" Usopp shook his head rapidly. "I'm feeling my 'can't meet new people' disease coming on..." he began to fake getting the chills.
"We have to find civilization if it exists. It might be the only way to find out if the others are even on this island." Robin agreed. She picked a coconut from a nearby tree and handed it to Usopp. "Long-nose-kun, could you shoot this up in the air, please?" she smiled.
Usopp sighed and took the coconut, setting it down briefly while he fished the components of his Kabuto out of his backpack; he tried to maintain his separate personas as Sogeking and Usopp so as Usopp, he only typically carried around his slingshot. Assemsbling the Kabuto, he fired the coconut high into the air. Robin crossed her arms and chanted, and a hand covered in eyes sprouted from the coconut. "There! To the East! A village!" Robin announced. "Up on a mountain. We may have to climb a little..." she said.
"Ha! No problem!" Franky grinned. With metal hands, or with propulsion from his many techniques, he could easily get the three of them up a shear cliff. They began to head East, and found that a slope led straight up to the village, and since there were no skulls on pikes or bones laying around anywhere, and there was no scent of blood. Usopp, deciding that this meant they were friendly and peaceful, decided to be the first there and broke into a run; that way it would be so much easier to convince them he was a brave sea captain.
"STOP!" Robin gasped, and crossed her arms. "Six-Wheel Clutch!" she chanted, and Usopp had six hands sprout from his body and trip him, keeping him from moving as he fell forward on his face. Apparently they were heard, as less than a second later the whistling of air rushed towards them and an arrow landed an inch from Usopp's nose.
"GYAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!" Usopp shrieked and scrambled backwards after Robin called off her power.
"The hell...?" Franky growled. He took up the lead of the group. Another arrow fired. It struck him harmlessly in the chest and shattered. Several more did the same to no avail before they stopped. "I guess they figure we're dead by now. So much for a warm welcome." he grinned, looking forward to a fight. "They're armed, but they might just be protecting themselves. If they see we mean no harm they might welcome us."
"Are you insane?! They just tried to kill us! Let's get the hell out of here!" Usopp protested.
"But Long-nose-kun, this place might be where our nakama is. They might be captured, we have to try and save them if that's so. And if nothing else, we can fight them off if they try to hurt us again. We need to keep going, there could be food here that we need, and the villagers might know where our ship is. Is that a good enough reason to go? The only reason not to go is because they shot arrows at us. One reason not to go, many reasons for us to go. Cyborg-kun?" Robin smiled.
"I agree. Come on, we're going whether you like it or not." Franky grinned. "Just stay behind me, both of you."
They advanced and finally made it to the outskirts of the village at the top of the slope. It was surrounded by a ring of heavy brush and trees, with nothing but simple, small huts every few feet, encircling a large fire in the middle. A somewhat organized society, Robin thought, particularly if they had weapons like arrows. The brush began to quiver and they whirled around in time to see two natives to the island leap out with spears and attack, screaming.
"Twelve-Fleur!" Robin chanted, crossing her arms, and using her Hana-Hana no Mi powers once more, she restrained the two natives and forced their own spears up to their throats. "We mean no harm. We merely wish to talk to you." she told the two of them. "Are you still going to attack us or can I let you go?" she asked them politely, closing her eyes and smiling her charming smile.
The two natives, however, looked far from upset by this; indeed, they looked like they'd never been happier. They began to cheer. "It is as the gods foretold! The Queen has arrived from outside!"
Franky and Usopp's mouths fell open. Robin raised an eyebrow. She let one of them go, keeping the one who spoke restrained. "What are you talking about?" she asked him.
"Come! Come with me, and I will explain everything!" the first native exclaimed happily. "Oh, but THEM...are they bearers of the curse as well?" he pointed at Franky and Usopp and had a suspicious look upon his face. "The curse that keeps us from treading the waters around the island?" he asked, giving a bit more detail so that Robin understood more clearly what he meant.
"You mean, the Devil's Fruit?" Robin responded. She looked worriedly over at Franky and Usopp. What did it mean if they weren't Devil Fruit users?
"Of course we are." Franky immediately grinned. He punched his two hands together, and a loud metallic clanking could be heard. "I'm a Metal human!" he said proudly.
The natives immediately began to smile again. They just assumed that Usopp had an ability from the Devil Fruit as well. "Then come! The King will be most pleased!" he motioned for the three to follow them to the Northern end of the village.
Usopp and Franky followed behind Robin who took up the lead. "W-w-wh-what am I gonnna do? I can't fake it like you!" Usopp whispered to Franky.
"You'll think of something, Long-nose-kun." Franky assured him. "You're better at lying than anyone I know. And I've been a crime boss for years." he grinned.

Robin finally stopped at what looked like a temple, carved into the side of a large portion of the mountain than the flat plateau the village was situated upon. It must have held great significance, because the natives had to tell another to go inside; the two of them seemed forbidden to enter it. The other came back to them seconds later with apparently good news. "Our King wishes to see you! We have not had outsiders visit in the longest time, and even then they were unworthy so they were driven away. But you, you bear the curse as we do, as prophecied! Great fortune will rain down upon our village now!" he clapped and cheered happily.
A loud gong caused all of their heads to turn and loud footsteps could be heard. A ten-foot-tall man emerged from the entrance of the temple and peered around. Wearing a shoulder-length mane of dark hair and with a handsome face, it was easy to tell he was someone of significance, especially with the somewhat regal garb he was wearing. Made of what looked like tiger skin, he wore a long cape around a tunic of what looked like zebra skin. Everyone else in the village was emerging from their huts, curious as to the gonging which summoned what had to be their leader. They were all wearing ragged shorts and leaf skirts and small strips of crude fabric across the women's breasts. "All hail Lord Daiykyojin!" one of the guards at the entrance of the temple announced.
This ten-foot-tall Lord Daikyojin waved humbly to his people, who were bowing to him. He descended the steps in front of the temple and stared directly at Robin. "Is it true what I have been told?" he smiled warmly at her as he approached her. "Are you a bearer of the curse, who can stop a man in his tracks with a thought?" he asked her. He reached out grab her, as if testing her.
Robin crossed her arms and chanted, "Thirty Fleur!" Thirty arms sprouted from Daikyojin's long arm, shoulder and armpit, and halted his advance.
Daikyojin smiled. "I can see it is true. How fortuitous. At such a time of war we are delivered a war goddess. She is sure to bear strong children. My people, rejoice! We have our Queen!" he announced, and the entire village cheered.
Robin had no idea what was going on. "Stop this! We are not here to join this tribe of yours. We merely ask your assistance." Robin protested.
Daikyojin frowned. "A test then." he proposed. "Stop me from taking possession of you. If I can touch you, you will remain here as my Queen. If I cannot, you and your companions will receive all the help we can give."
"Don't do it, Robin." Franky cracked his knuckles, ready for a throw-down.
"We don't have any other alternative at this point. I accept, Daikyojin. Try it." Robin took on a more serious look than Franky or Usopp had ever seen on her face.
Daikyojin laughed heartily. "As I expected! My future Queen is not afraid of a challenge! Watch, my people, as I humble her, as the only man who could ever be worthy of being her husband!"
He reached out for her quickly. Robin, a trained assassin, dodged quickly. The tribe quickly spread out into a circle, penning the two of them in, and circling quickly, as if in a trance, so that even Franky couldn't break into it. "Robin!" he and Usopp cried worriedly.
Large as he may have been, Robin was too fast. Finally she dove between his legs and managed to get a free moment. "Cien Fleur!" she chanted, arms crossed, and one hundred arms sprouted from Daikyojin, restraining both of his arms and legs and bringing him to his knees.
"Very, very good, you could halt an army like that. But not me." he smiled. He began to what looked like filling up with air. But his entire body was growing proportionally-his size was increasing every second, until he was as tall as any giant the Straw Hat crew had met. All of Robin's arms were useless now and she gazed, horrified, up at the giant man she had foolishly challenged. He reached down and scooped her up in his hands. "I have touched you. I believe our arrangement has gone in my favor, has it not?" he smiled, shrinking back down, only this time he stood as tall as Franky, rather than ten feet tall.
Letting Robin down he laughed triumphantly. "Let it be known that I alone am worthy to be ruler of this tribe and the heart of this woman! Announce your name for my subjects to hear." Daikyojin requested of Robin.
Robin, with a look of anguished defeat on her face, closed her eyes. "Nico Robin." she responded.
"Very well! Your Queen, Nico Robin, shall wed me tonight! Prepare for the celebration!" Daikyojin clapped his hands, and the entire village sprang into action, going off into the jungle to hunt and gather food, and preparing the village for the ceremony.
Franky and Usopp didn't know what to do. How could they stop such a man? Could they possibly sneak Robin away? No, he'd chase them down in a second. "This is bad..." Franky gulped.
"ROTTEN EGG STAR!" Usopp shouted, and sent a stinking egg soaring straight into Daikyojin's face. Robin and Franky gasped in horror. "RUN, ROBIN!" Usopp told her, but Robin was paralyzed with the shock; Usopp had as good as killed himself in doing this.
"KILL HIM!" Daikyojin snarled, and although several of the villagers attemped to stop him, Usopp still had several pieces of ammunition left.
"Lead Star! Lead Star!" he took down one villager, then another, and another tripped over them, and finally Usopp had a decent-sized pile of them laying unconscious at his feet. More were coming to replace them and Usopp decided he needed to run, which he'd planned to do from the start. "May as well run from someone who's actually chasing me!" he said. "Don't worry about me, Franky, Robin, just get away from here! I'm going to try to find the others!" he called back to them. "SMOKE STAR!" he shouted, concealing his escape from the villagers so they wouldn't know in which direction he had run.

“That was a companion of yours?” Daikyojin asked, now that Robin was safely surrounded by other villagers and not about to try to escape.
“Yes.” Robin answered, hoping she wasn’t putting her life and Franky’s in jeopardy.
“He uses a primitive mortal weapon to battle. He was not a bearer of the curse? He has not eaten a Devil’s Fruit?” Daikyojin continued.
“He was not.” Robin shook her head.
“Then perhaps he was wise to run. It is our law. Only those who bear the curse can live in our society. All others are outcasts and bring grave misfortune to us by the gods. Those who submit are force-fed the Devil’s Fruit from the Great Tree, but only when it bears fruit. There are fewer and fewer growing over the past few years. It is a great stroke of luck that an outsider, nay, two outsiders visit us and possess the curse as well.” Daikyojin smiled.
“You will...truly kill him?” Robin asked. “I cannot ask you to spare him? As your Queen?”
“I have already given the assassination order and sent my best hunter after him. The next time you see your friend will be when my hunter returns holding his severed head.” Daikyojin said softly as he closed his eyes.
Robin gasped and sobbed; she covered her mouth as tears began to stream from her eyes. Franky had told her not to accept the challenge but she had and it was her fault Usopp had to sacrifice himself for her. "No..." she whispered.
"I am sorry but I cannot appear weak in front of my people. If I show mercy to an outsider they may revolt against me. And I cannot have that happen now, at a time of war.”
“Dry your tears, Robin-chan. Usopp's never lost before, has he?" Franky encouraged Robin. "What do you mean, a time of war?” Franky asked, changing the subject. Perhaps distracting Daikyojin could give them a chance to think of something to do.
“I am happy you ask. I could use a Metal man like yourself in my army. We are on the Eastern side of the island. And we are all cursed by the Paramecian Devil’s Fruit. On the far Western side of the island lives an uncivilized rabble of Zoan Devil’s Fruit eaters. They live in their own filth and act like savages. And they claim they are the superior society. We have been at war for ages with them over control of the Great Tree. We wish to possess it for ourselves, and pick only our Paramecian Devil’s Fruits from it, and destroy the Zoan Devil’s Fruits before anyone has a chance to eat them.” Daikyojin explained.
“Where is the Great Tree?” Franky asked.
“In the very center of the island.”
“Are there guards there?” Robin asked. She wondered that if they managed to somehow take control of the tree, they could hold it for ransom and get them to agree to spare Usopp.
“No. Anyone who remains near the tree longer than the time it would take to pick the fruit and leave is cursed by the gods and vanishes into thin air, never to be seen again.” Daikyojin shook his head. “So you can see how difficult it is to fight over something so volatile. The only way to have it for ourselves...is to wipe their tribe out utterly. And you will help us do it.” he smiled.
“You should spare my friend! You saw how easily he dispatched your guards, he can do many other things even without a Devil’s Fruit ability!” Robin suddenly piped up.
“Yeah! And if you have any handy, you can force-feed him one and make him your slave! That way it’ll look like you aren’t going soft to your people!” Franky agreed.
Daikyojin considered this. “Another test, then. If he is as skilled as you say he is, he will have no trouble defeating my hunter. If he returns, he may stay. As my slave. I will take no responsibility for him if he dies in the upcoming battle with the Zoan tribe. And if he puts up an ounce of resistance, I will crush him in the palm of my hand and devour him.” Daikyojin chuckled.
Robin and Franky looked at one another. Could Usopp really handle that? Did he even know he was still being chased, by an assassin?

Usopp ran through the jungle, panting, but not yet out of breath. He stopped to rest for a moment just in case, and was nearly struck by an arrow, if not for hearing the whirring of it through the air and leaping behind a tree. The arrow struck the tree so hard it nearly went all the way through. A young man’s voice rang through the trees from up above. “Something tells me you are not quite as arrow-proof as your metal friend.” it cackled.
A red-haired young man in his late teens had a quiver of arrows hanging on his back, and a longbow in his hand. Drawing an arrow, he fired it just as Usopp began to run again. It struck Usopp’s shoe heel, narrowly missing the flesh on his foot, and made him fall flat on his face. “Too easy. Come on, I know you use projectile weapons. Fight back.” the young man taunted.
“Who are you?” Usopp cried, diving behind another tree and snapping the arrow so he could pull it out of his shoe.
“I am Maboroshi, the greatest archer on the island, and Lord Daikyojin’s best game hunter. But I also hunt unworthy outsiders like you for sport. And he’s ordered me to take your life for humiliating him like that.” the archer announced.
WHAT?!” Usopp’s eyes were as wide as dinner plates. He thought if he ran far enough away he'd be able to escape pursuit; he was always so good at it, after all. But this Maboroshi was positioned in a prime spot to snipe at Usopp and didn't need to run after him. And if Daikyojin had ordered Usopp killed for his earlier actions...that meant this guy wouldn’t give up until one of the two of them was dead.