Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ An Angel's Remains ❯ Chapter 9 ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Myara shivered in the cold as she stepped outside. There was a thin coating of snow everywhere except for the walkway.
 
Jenny stepped out just behind her and whined, "Why does it have to be so cold? This skirt is doing nothing to keep me warm. We should be able to wear pants in the winter like the guys."
 
Myara couldn't help giggling a little at that. "Hey, aren't you the one who always complains that the uniforms aren't sexy enough as it is? Wouldn't pants be even less sexy?"
 
Jenny glared. "If I get a cold, that would be even less sexy than wearing a boy's uniform."
 
Myara stifled her giggles and replied, "I guess you're right. It is really cold out here, but at least the walkways are cleared for us. I wonder who got that chore."
 
Jenny headed along the path at a much brisker pace than normal. "Probably one of the sports clubs or something. Hurry, hurry, hurry. I want to get to the cafeteria where it's warm."
 
***
 
The cafeteria was much warmer than outside but it was still fairly chill with the doors constantly letting students through.
 
Rick waited until Myara and Jenny had their food and then waved them over. "Over here!" he called.
 
Rick, Jordan, and Derek occupied their usual table, just as they had before the break. Myara found it somewhat refreshing to return to her old routine.
 
Rick hardly waited for Myara to sit down before asking with a slight smirk, "So did you get your date with Sabin yet?"
 
Jenny immediately turned accusing eyes on Myara. "Date?" she demanded.
 
Myara shrugged. She hadn't wanted to mention it to Jenny, since her friend would only get excited on her behalf and possibly demand details later on. "It was nothing." She managed to say, feeling uncomfortable about saying anything further.
 
Jordan laughed. "Nothing?" He told Jenny and Derek, the only two present who didn't know what had happened. "Sabin lost a bet to her and she got him to promise a date as a reward."
 
Rick chuckled. "It was priceless."
 
Jenny playfully slapped Myara on the arm. "You! Why didn't you tell me?" She smiled to show she wasn't serious.
 
Myara told her. "I didn't expect him to take it serious."
 
Derek asked, looking almost bewildered. "So he actually went on a date with you?"
 
Myara shrugged and felt her cheeks growing warm. Everyone was going to get the wrong idea. She told them as casually as she could. "We went to dinner but I doubt we'll do it again. He's not likely to lose any more bets to me."
 
Jenny sighed. "What a shame. You'd make a great couple."
 
Jordan smirked. "Wouldn't they?" he commented, echoing Jenny's sentiments.
 
Myara shifted in her seat, embarrassed but not sure what to do about it. "You guys..." she scolded.
 
Rick saved her by changing the subject. "So how was everyone else's break. Anything exciting?"
 
Jenny grumbled, "Extremely boring."
 
Derek shook his head. "Just the usual family Christmas. My parents did get me a new laptop though."
 
Jordan sighed and told Derek. "Lucky, I hardly got anything worth mentioning."
 
Somehow being with her friends allowed Myara to relax a little. Even though they didn't know what was going on, they did make her feel better.
 
***
 
Classes resumed as if the break had never happened. It was almost anticlimactic after everything else. She'd even forgotten about the Ivory Hall student rankings until she walked into her third period class and was congratulated by her classmates.
 
Greg patted her on the back as he walked by her desk. "Congrats, you made it to 20th rank, that's nothing short of a miracle for someone in the beginner class. I'm curious to know what you did in the testing to impress them so much."
 
Myara looked up at him and was a little bit caught off guard. "20th rank?" she asked.
 
He raised a brow. "The list is in the main lobby, you didn't look on your way in?"
 
Myara shrugged. "I came in at the north entrance so I didn't notice."
 
Greg smiled faintly. "I see, well, you should go look for yourself later on."
 
She replied with a faint smile. "Sure." She wasn't really in the mood to be happy about something like that though.
 
Greg paused. "Are you all right? You don't look as cheerful as usual. Something happen over the break?"
 
Myara couldn't help sighing. "A little. I guess you could say I was rejected by a guy I like."
 
Greg looked a little bit unsure of how to proceed but finally settled on telling her. "Don't worry about it too much. I'm sure you'll find someone you like better."
 
Myara appreciated the sentiments even though he didn't sound too convinced of his own words. She nodded politely. "Yeah, you're probably right."
 
The bell rang and Greg hurried to take his seat.
 
***
 
Aiden sighed and sat back, staring at the unoccupied desk in front of him. He was supposed to be back in the human world already for the first day of classes. He didn't have time to wait for his uncle to show up. Especially when his uncle had been the one who'd invited him there to meet. He looked up when the door finally opened but it wasn't his uncle, rather it was his aunt, Niara.
 
She gave him a sweet smile. "Aiden darling, you're still waiting?"
 
He nodded and returned her smile. "Yeah. Is Uncle Victor coming anytime soon? I'm supposed to be in the human world."
 
She sat down on the edge of the desk. "He was in a meeting but he should be coming at any minute. So are you enjoying your time in the human world?"
 
"Well, it's a lot different than the celestial world but still pretty interesting," he told her.
 
She got up as the door opened and Aiden's uncle walked into the room. "Darling, you kept your nephew waiting. You shouldn't do these sorts of things."
 
His uncle gave him and apologetic smile. "Sorry about that. I didn't expect things to take so long."
 
Aiden held up his hands as if waving off a misunderstanding, not wanting his uncle to think he was impatient. "No, no, it's not a big deal. I understand you're busy, you're on the Guardian's Council after all."
 
His aunt gave his uncle a quick kiss on the cheek and told him, "Come see me when you're done."
 
His uncle nodded and smiled tenderly. "Of course."
 
Niara left the room and closed the door behind her.
 
His uncle took a seat at his desk and sat forward. "Now, the reason I wanted to talk to you."
 
Aiden sat forward. "Yes?"
 
His uncle took a deep breath and sighed, as if he didn't know how to say what he wanted to say. "You see, I've been hearing rumors that there's an interesting human student at your school. You wouldn't happen to know anything about this would you?"
 
Aiden was a little surprised to have his uncle ask him about such a thing. He hadn't thought his uncle would care about such things. The first person that Aiden thought of was Myara. "I guess you could say there's one particularly interesting student that started at the beginning of this year. I don't really think that she's someone you should be worried about though uncle."
 
His Uncle Victor told him wryly. "You'd be surprised at the things I worry about. As far as this student goes, I was wondering if you could bring her to me. I'd like to meet her."
 
Aiden raised a brow. "Bring her to you? Uncle Victor, do you mean you actually want me to bring a human to the celestial world? Do you have.. permission for something like that?"
 
His uncle sighed. "This is a very important matter Aiden, and also very private. There are some things I need to make sure of, as far as this human goes. This is the only time I'll ask this of you. Please."
 
Aiden wanted to refuse but his uncle held a very important place in their family. Refusing to do a favor for his uncle was like asking for trouble. "All right. I suppose I could do it. Shouldn't you at least tell the Chairman about it though?"
 
His uncle gave him a long look. "I would prefer that you tell absolutely no one Aiden. Can you manage?"
 
Aiden felt like he'd been backed into a corner. "Yeah. Of course. It's not like there's someone watching over the gates all the time."
 
His uncle smiled. "Good. I'll be expecting the both of you tomorrow evening."
 
Aiden wanted to sigh but he held it back. "Yes Uncle Victor. Is there anything else you wanted to talk to me about?"
 
His uncle shook his head and got up from his desk. "No, that's it. I still need to take care of some things so I'll be seeing you tomorrow."
 
Aiden watched him go and then sighed. "What the hell is he thinking?" he couldn't help asking himself.
 
***
 
Myara was a little bit unhappy to have to face Sabin again as she left the locker room and joined the rest of her bladesport class but she supposed it was something she'd have to deal with eventually. She joined Dalziel and Sabin on the far side of the room.
 
Dalziel saved her from having to start a conversation with Sabin. "Did you manage to fully recover from that incident over break?" he asked, glancing at the faint marks that were all that remained after Lilac's healing.
 
She smiled faintly and moved her arms all around. "Yup, they don't feel stiff or anything. My energy is all back too."
 
Sabin commented coolly. "Didn't I tell you already that she was fine?"
 
Myara couldn't help frowning at Sabin. Was he trying to create an uncomfortable atmosphere?
 
Dalziel glanced over at him. "As if I could believe you when you say it with such a scary face. Why don't you lighten up a little? " Dalziel glanced from one of them to the other almost suspiciously.
 
Myara turned away from the both of them, not wanting to give Dalziel the chance to see through her. She was surprised as she looked away from them to see Mr. Halley walking into the room. He looked a little bit troubled.
 
Dalziel seemed to notice him as well. "Aiden, what are you doing here?"
 
Aiden looked just a little embarrassed as he joined the three of them. "Well, actually, I knew that Myara would be in your class at this time and I needed to get in touch with her today."
 
Myara pointed a finger at herself. "Me?" she inquired.
 
Mr. Halley smiled. "I have a favor to ask of you Myara. I really need you to go out with me somewhere tomorrow night. Do you think you could? I can't really explain the details just now but it's pretty important."
 
Myara was a little too shocked to reply for a moment and then she told herself there was no way it was like a date. She returned his smile. "I'll come by your classroom later and you can tell me the details."
 
Mr. Halley looked somewhat relieved. "Thank you. I'll be waiting for you then." Mr. Halley waved goodbye and Dalziel and Sabin casually. "See you later."
 
As soon as he was gone Dalziel crossed his arms over his chest and asked, leaning toward Myara. "Since when are you and Aiden such good friends?"
 
Myara gave him a scolding gaze and told him. "Mr. Halley and I aren't particularly good friends or anything. He said it was important and I believe him, that's all."
 
Sabin commented, not looking at her. "Even celestials will lie sometimes you know."
 
Dalziel glanced over at him and looked slightly amused. "That's right, if they have good intentions lieing is easy. Are you worried that something will happen to our sweet little assistant instructor here?"
 
Sabin glared at Dalziel. "I'm not worried. I just don't think she should be so naive."
 
Myara couldn't help glaring at him, she felt insulted that he would say that sort of thing about her. "Naive? You're accusing me of being naive? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Besides, even if it's not something important I don't have any problem going someplace with Mr. Halley."
 
Dalziel stepped between them. "Enough, class is about to start. You two can have this sort of quarrel in private."
 
Sabin snorted. "No need. This conversation is already over. She can do what she wants."
 
Dalziel looked concerned at both of their attitudes but only said. "All right, let's start class. After we're done working with the students why don't you spar with me today Myara? Is that all right?"
 
Myara nodded, a little relieved actually. But she really couldn't understand Sabin's attitude all of a sudden. He'd told her he couldn't love her but she didn't think he'd start acting so hatefully all of a sudden.
 
***
 
Sabin leaned against the wall and watched as the last of the students left, Myara among them.
 
Dalziel joined him. "What was that all about? Getting so upset just because Aiden asked her to go out somewhere, and it's probably not even a real date."
 
Sabin glared at him. "That's not the point. Even if she has Sabriel's memories, there's no way they're the same person. Sabriel would never stupidly agree to go out with someone like that."
 
Dalziel raised a brow. "Isn't that a little harsh. You said that Sabriel was the retriever that brought you back from the demon world when you were fallen but it seems obvious to me that it's more than just that. What was your relationship, really?"
 
Sabin rubbed his forehead as if warding off a headache. "She was my lover, you could say."
 
Dalziel raised a brow and then smirked. "I figured it was more like that. So why are you holding back if you like her so much? Is it because she's human now? I know I warned you not to go for a human before but it's really hard to say if she qualifies as exactly human."
 
Sabin told him, sounding irritated. "That's not it. She's just, not the same person as before. Just because she has some of Sabriel's memories, that doesn't necessarily mean she's the same person in the first place."
 
Dalziel rested a hand on his shoulder. "You're over-thinking things. Even if she's not exactly the same person, the person you're thinking of can never come back. There's nothing wrong with moving on."
 
"It's not that easy," Sabin shrugged off Dalziel's hand. "I'll see you tomorrow."
 
***
 
Myara stopped by Mr. Halley's classroom and found him there waiting.
 
"Ah, you're here." He looked relieved.
 
Myara asked him, getting straight to the point, "So where is it that you need me to go with you?"
 
Mr. Halley leaned against his desk. "Well, I was wondering, would you like to visit the celestial world?"
 
Myara stared for a minute before replying. "Of course that'd be great, but there's no way I'd be allowed to do that."
 
Mr. Halley looked like he was having a hard time getting the words out of his mouth. "Um... you see... haven't you noticed anything strange about the instructors here?"
 
Myara couldn't help but giggling at that question. Mr. Halley didn't know that she knew he was a celestial, just like all the teachers. "You mean do I know you're celestials? Of course I know. I've known for a while Mr. Halley."
 
He looked momentarily stunned and then asked, "You do? I mean, how is that?"
 
Myara sat on one of the desks in the front row of the classroom. "It's a little bit complicated but it seems like more and more of the celestials here are finding out about it. I don't suppose it's a big deal if you know as well Mr. Halley. I know because I have memories from a celestial who died some time ago. That's where all my drawings came from. Of course, I didn't realize that until I came here. So what's this about going to the celestial world?"
 
After absorbing what she had said Mr. Halley replied. "Oh yes, that's right. Well, one of the councilors, Councilor Victor, wants to meet you. He's pretty high ranking among the celestials. He said he'd heard there was an interesting new student and I'm sure he meant you. He asked me to bring you there privately. I'm not sure what it's about exactly, he wouldn't tell me."
 
Myara thought the name seemed really familiar but for some reason she just couldn't remember why. But she was a little curious about one other thing. "Why did he ask you to bring me Mr. Halley?"
 
Mr. Halley sighed. "He's my uncle. He can make my family life difficult if I don't do what he asks, which is probably why he asked me."
 
"Oh, I see. But you don't have any idea at all why he wants to meet me? It seems a little strange."
 
Mr. Halley shrugged. "I really can't understand him sometimes. I don't know either. You'll go though right?"
 
Myara couldn't resist his request. Going back to the celestial world after so long... she wanted to do it. This might be the only offer she got. "Of course. I'd love to see the celestial world."
 
Mr. Halley looked relieved. He smiled brightly. "Great. Tomorrow night meet me outside of Ivory Hall at about six. And since this isn't an official visit, please don't mention it to anyone."
 
Myara nodded. "Okay. I'll be sure to keep it to myself. Should I wear my uniform?"
 
Mr. Halley thought about her question for a moment before nodding hesitantly. "Yeah, that's probably the best thing for you."
 
Myara got up off the desk and straightened out her skirt. "I'll see you tomorrow night then."
 
Mr. Halley nodded and waved as she turned her back on him.
 
She waved to him over her shoulder as she left the room.
 
***
 
He looked up as Myara walked out of the locker room. He'd been feeling a little bit uncomfortable about their argument the day before. He didn't usually like to apologize but... "Myara!" he called out to her.
 
She looked up and joined him with a somewhat reluctant expression.
 
Sabin folded his arms over his chest and told her woodenly, "I'm sorry about yesterday. It's really none of my business, that sort of thing."
 
Myara looked surprised and for some reason uncomfortable but she covered up her discomfort with a smile. "Don't worry about it. It's not a big deal. Actually it's been bothering me, what Mr. Halley told me." Myara stepped closer and spoke softly in celestial, "He said that Councilor Victor wanted to meet me in the celstial world, so I'm going there with him tonight. It's not supposed to be official or anything though so he asked me to keep quiet about it. It really bothers me though. I don't understand why he'd want to speak to me, and his name seems really familiar. Do you have any ideas?"
 
Sabin raised a brow and leaned closer. "He's been on the council since before Sabriel died. Perhaps Fae said something and he heard about it? You did use Esperia right in front of him you know."
 
Myara touched a finger to her lips thoughtfully. "I guess that could be it. But I'm still bothered for some reason." She frowned and pressed her hands against her temples in an expression of frustration. "How come it's times like this that I can't remember anything?"
 
Even though he'd told himself he shouldn't care about Myara, he couldn't stop worrying about her. "I'm sure you'll remember it when you need to. Are you worried about going to the celestial world again after all this time?"
 
Myara dropped her hands to her sides. "A little bit. I'm wondering if going there is going to make me remember more."
 
Dalziel joined them. "Is this a private conversation?" He asked.
 
Sabin looked up at him. "Aiden asked her to go to the celestial world to meet Councilor Victor. She's a little bit concerned about what sort of things she'll remember if she goes back there."
 
Dalziel raised a brow. "Does the chairman know about this. Strictly speaking, humans aren't supposed to go to the celestial world at all."
 
Myara shrugged. "I really don't know the details. It's not supposed to be official though. Actually, Aiden told me to keep it quiet. If you guys could not tell anyone that would be great."
 
Sabin commented, "The celestial world isn't exactly as peaceful as it used to be. Is it only going to be Aiden with you when you go through the gate?"
 
"I'm really not sure. You'd have to ask Mr. Halley. He just told me to meet him outside Ivory Hall at six."
 
Dalziel commented. "If you're worried why don't you go as well Sabin. I'm sure Aiden won't mind. Besides, you know about Myara's issues than anyone else."
 
Sabin couldn't disagree with him on that, but it wasn't quite that easy. "I'm not exactly well liked. I might just make problems."
 
Dalziel clasped his arms behind his head and smiled faintly. "I guess that's true. I'll go as well." He looked at Myara. "If you don't mind that is?"
 
Myara looked from one of them to the other. "I won't mind, actually I think I'd feel a lot better if you went with me. Hopefully Mr. Halley won't mind either."
 
Sabin sighed. "Since Dalziel has made up his mind, Aiden isn't going to have much choice about it."
 
***