Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Butterflies & The Net ❯ Chapter 17: Okay, yeah…this is awkward ( Chapter 18 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Butterflies & the Net
by iloveanimecartoons
Genre(s): Psychological/Angst/Drama/Romance
Rating: T
Latest Addition: July 9, 2008


Chapter 17: Okay, yeah…this is awkward



Solya shrieked as Kenpachi lapped happily at her chin. “Down, boy!” she giggled. “Kenny!”

It has been only a day since she saw the hyperactive dog and he made it seem like a lifetime; yet, she couldn't say it didn't please her immensely either. Since the ripe age of three, she'd all but begged for a pet and due to her mother's pet allergies—a condition that baffled her at the time—the answer was always an emphatic “No”. Later, when her father moved to the apartment they now resided in, it was an issue of their lease agreement—no pets allowed in big, bold capital letters. She was crushed and down went any hopes of having a dog in this lifetime…until Jesse.

Sometimes, she could just kiss that man.

`Urk! What was that…? Mental hiccup…moving right along…'

Jesse shook his head and smiled at the duo and the rolling laughter Solya couldn't seem to stifle. It was nice to see her so carefree. Remembering a time when she was sometimes so…guarded—long enough back to chalk up as long forgotten but near and dear enough for him to always want to make her smile, the decision on her birthday gift had been simple. And she enjoyed every moment with Kenny. And he was glad—happy she was happy. And he was happy to keep her happy.

They decided in their phone conversation last night, to take Kenny on a nice long stroll through Patterson Park and let him unleash some of his boundless energy, play with some of the doggie chew toys Jesse purchased for him, and just enjoy the day with his mistress. Though Solya agreed to let Jesse claim Kenny as `their' dog, he knew it was hers and only living with him for the purpose of, for lack of a better term, shelter.

Solya squatted and kissed Kenny between the ears. Another dog walker came by with two average sized Doberman Pinchers and Jesse talked him into letting the three dogs play together for a while. As the dogs wrestled and nipped playfully at each other, Jesse, Solya and the other dog owner—Tom, they soon found out—sat at a bench and shared bottle waters Tom had packed in his messenger bag.

“Ya never know when one of the little guys'll get thirsty on ya,” Tom commented before taking a healthy slug. “Call me a Yuppie, but I don't trust Baltimore water all that much—smells iffy most of the time and tastes…well, let's not go there.”

“Here, here!” Solya agreed in earnest after her own deep intake of Dasani.

“Yeah, so I always get a few cases a month and make sure to carry some for my babies,” Tom continued, glancing first at Solya then his two dogs. “Your miniature is very sleek and its coat looks healthy and shiny. What do you feed it?”

That was for Jesse to pick up and at Solya's open glance, he answered. “Hill's Science Diet mixed with Puppy Chow. No method to my madness actually; he's a little guy but full grown so I figured give him the best of both world, yanno?”

“You've done great with him. How long've you had him?”

“Actually, Tom, it's been less than a week,” Jesse admitted with a shrug. When Tom gave him a surprised look, Jesse reiterated. “My cousin owns a kennel and he sold Kenny to me recently—he feeds all the little dogs that mix so I figured why mess up a good thing?”

“Makes sense.”

“Yeah, and Sol seems to like him well enough so I was really pleased.”

“So modest…this has got to tie at top three of the best birthday gifts ever, Jess,” Solya smiled. “Thanks again.”

Jesse nearly jumped when Solya laid her head on his shoulder briefly and sighed. “N-no problem, Cuteness.”

“That's quite a gift. Your boyfriend must really love you. Sheesh, I think I'm jealous,” Tom teased.

At that, Solya balked and practically leapt off of Jesse. Both Tom and Jesse stared at her with twin looks of surprise.

“Cuteness…?”

“Cute nickname—my girl would be jealous,” Tom chuckled. “I guess I'm either lame or unimaginative in calling her `sweetie'.”

“Um…no. No, he's not…we're just…what I meant to say was…” Solya stammered in hopes of refuting Tom's claim that they were romantically involved. Then it struck her what Jesse had called her and she flinched self-consciously. “Jesse, I thought I told you not to call me that name in public.”

“Actually, no, you never did, Solya. And what's the big deal anyway? You
are cute yanno, so just take it in stride,” Jesse returned and, in a spur of the moment decision, gave her a quick peck on the cheek.

“T-totally not the point,” Solya insisted shakily. Her eyes went a little glassy and her face pinked slightly. “And quit that!”

“What? This?” Jesse asked, face full of innocence as he proceeded to give her another kiss—this one followed by a purely platonic squeeze.

“I'm gonna pinch you in an unforeseen place, Sota!”

“Oooh, sounds kinky,” Jesse couldn't help but tease. “Promise?”

“Eep! What the hell, Sota?”

“What?” He asked again with that same mock innocence that was starting to pluck Solya's nerves.

Her fiery gaze screamed bloody murder, soon, and long-lasting and Jesse finally, wisely, backed down.

“Okay, I'll stop. My bad, Cutene—Solya; I'll be good.”

“You guys have the cutest relationship. My girl would be gushing all over the two of you by now.” Tom grinned.

“Rela—?” Solya groaned then cut herself off in inner contemplation. `Do we really come off that way? Hmmm…wonder how they will take us tonight. Maybe we should discuss this, beforehand. Lord knows I'm not in the mood to be fenced in with all the guys' protectiveness and if Jer goes guard dog on me I'll…'

The dogs soon cut off that train of thought as they, all three, raced towards their owners—and the guy that fed them—with yips and happy, playful growls, and the general sniffing of backsides.

Checking his watch, Tom sighed and grimaced. “I hadn't realized I'd been out so long. Cicilly's gonna have a cow.” When his two fellow dog owners raised a brow, he explained. “It's my 2nd anniversary—ours, I mean—and I have reservations for a late lunch in…”—he checked his watch again— “42 minutes. Gee, hate to run, guys, but love calls.”

“Sure,” Jesse chuckled. “If there's one thing I've learned growing up with a plethora of females, it's to never keep a lady waiting.”

“Wise man. Anyway, you guys plan on being here often?” Tom asked while reining in his adjustable leash and passing Solya a bottle of water. Solya opened her mouth to say she'd had enough to drink when Tom smiled and pointed to her dog. “For Kenny.”

“Ah.”

“Whaddaya say, Solya? Up for revisiting? Kenpachi seems to love it here.”

“Yeah, that's cool. Sure.”

“Great!” Tom exclaimed as he stood and tossed his water bottle in the trash, “Maybe we can set up a play date for our boys in the future.”

“Uh, that's up to Solya,” Jesse answered casting her a glance.

“Ah, I guess. If you're around, and we're all free…why not? Kenny seems to like your dogs a lot.”

“That's a big 10-4.” Tom saluted as he began walking away.

Solya bit her lips to keep from laughing out loud and simply saluted Tom back, as did Jesse, also seemingly struggling to keep a straight face.

Soon, it was just them and Kenny and in an almost unanimous silent agreement, they both fell into helpless laughter, rich, heavy and full of comical disbelief. Nearly three minutes later, as she wiped the moisture from the corners of her eyes, Solya, so light headed she needed to have a seat again, pulled Kenny towards her as she caught her breath.

“Pl-play date? Oh, hell, Kenny…is he trying to emasculate you?” Jesse barked, falling into laughter all over again. Soon he was so hot from laughing he needed to unzip his jacket.

“He's trying to make you into a yuppie dog, Kenny,” Solya crooned as she held her dog's face up between her hands. “Whatcha think about that, boy? Want to join a kennel club and wear a plaid doggie suit with a bright yellow sweater tied around your neck?”

Kenny, as if understanding the ramifications of what Solya suggested and Jesse was laughing like a nut over were about, growled low and sat with his front paws scrabbling at the ground.

Solya burst out laughing again. “Well, at least you'd have bottled water,” she thought aloud as she tossed the bottle Tom gave her in the air a few times.

“Smart dog,” Jesse praised while pulling a Milk Bone out of his pocket.

Kenny happily chomped his treat and his owners looked down at him in content. Suddenly, Solya jumped and reached in her pocket for her cell. “Oh, shit, Jesse. It's almost 3:30. I told Josie I'd help set up for the party. I'm sorry; I know I told you'd we'd hang with Kenny today and chill, but…well, I forgot all about…sorry…”

“Breathe, Cuteness. It's all right. I can hang with ya later—I am gonna be there, you know.”

“Oh, yeah, right. It's just, well, we were having a nice time and I really didn't want to go yet, but, damn, I gotta.”

“Well, the card party starts at, what, seven, eight?”

“Actually, somewhere between six and seven thirty is the usual time frame.”

“Well then, I oughtta let you get to it—wait, how much helping do you need to do?”

“Food prep, clean up, corralling the kids—setting up the kiddie grub, snacks, board and video games and stuff—generally keeping them out of our hair, any last minute cooking, and, um, table and chair set up.”

“Damn, that's a lot. All this in three hours, give or take? Hmm, I guess I'm free if you'd like me to offer my services.”

Solya seemed to think it over and after a few minutes nodded her agreement. “That sounds like a plan. Kenny'll love playing with the kids and Josie'll have an early chance to look you over. All my peeps seem to find you either fascinating, fine or a reason to extrapolate. The ladies, married or not, seem to remember you and want to see how you've “evolved into adulthood” as they put it.”

“I feel like such a piece of meat. I dunno…” Jesse gasped in mock horror.

“Chicken.”

“That would be I—skinned, filleted and vacuum-sealed.”

“It'll be painless…and probably hilarious but, remember Jesse, you love to see me smile.”

“That I do, Cuteness,” Jesse agreed as he lead Kenny into his carrier and locked the gate. “Okay, you've got a ready and willing pack mule for the afternoon. Do with me as you will.”

“Don't be such a martyr, Jesse. Hail us a cab, why don'tcha?”

“Slave driver.”

“Slave driver? Nah. More like a very magnanimous sweat shop owner who gives good benefits. A 15-minute lunch, all the water you can drink, and basic medical—a sturdy first aid kit in every cubicle.”

“Gee…
thanks?” Jesse laughed. `This girl's…so cool and funny. Damn, but I like her.'

“Don't mention it. Oh, I see a cab—mush!”

“Yes, dear.” Jesse complied as he hailed the cab and lugged the carrier in Solya's wake. `An entire day with Solya…
niiiiice…' 
 
 
 
<(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)> (>^^<) <(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)> (>^^<) <(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)> (>^^<) <(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)>
 
 
 
 
The smell of fried chicken, apples, cheese and spices rafted through the door as Solya rang the doorbell.  Jesse was busy reaching his fingers into the cage to tickle Kenny under the chin to distract himself from the nervousness churning in his gut.
 
`Her entire group of friends, huh?  Wow, this has the potential of being suffocating.  That Jerrod does not like me—didn't like me as a kid and, based on the vibe I got on Solya's birthday, doesn't really foresee any long lasting friendship blooming between us in the near future.  I hope this evening will not be strained and uncomfortable.  After the great day Solya's had, I really don't want her all antsy and divided.  One can only hope, huh?'
 
“Don't be nervous, Jesse.  Josie'll love ya!  Her husband is really guy's guy and I can already see the two of you gellin'.  The kids are really laid back and funny and, well, crazy—right up your alley.  Oh, fair warning, don't let Terry play you in video games, Jesse…he'll hurt your feelings.”
 
“That good?”
 
“Better.”
 
“Better'n you?”
 
“Don't go there, Sota.  He's good—great, even—but no one—no one—beats `The Crusher'.”
 
“`The Crusher'…?”
 
“Got the nick when I beat everyone who challenged me in a little Smack down vs. RAW contest I started when Terry got his tonsils removed.” 
 
“You lie.”
 
“Total truth,” Solya insisted, crossing her heart.  “Scout's honor.”
 
Everybody there?”
 
“Yes sir!  I trounced the kids and the parents jumped in to avenge the little darlings—trounced them, too.  When the guys started in, all bragging and placing bets, I knew I had the money coming to buy the manga I was coveting.  Who knew male pride could raise the stakes like it did?  I took names, hurt feelings, and bruised a little pride in the process.”
 
“Just heartless,” Jesse chuckled.
 
“Not at all…they knew what they were getting into.  I had my fun and left Josie's house $200 richer,” Solya gloated then paused to sigh in memory, “Good times, good times.”
 
“You're just mean, you know that?” Jesse pouted.
 
“Ah, ah, ah…  It's called confidence in one's skills,” Solya corrected as she rang the doorbell again.  `What's taking Josie so long?'
 
“Yeah, yeah…”
 
Solya turned her attention fully to Jesse and raised a brow in amusement.  “Did you…did you just pout?”
 
“No,” Jesse insisted, as he straightened his lips, “not at all.”
 
“Uh huh…”
 
Before Jesse could come up with another cover for the little white lie, he was caught in—totally obvious, Josie shouted through the door that she was coming.  Solya chuckled and Jesse gave her a blank stare—then she slugged him.
 
Damn, you're violent, girl,” Jesse whined as he rubbed the afflicted spot.
 
Just as Solya opened her mouth to retort, the door opened and Josie blurted out, “That's so true.”  Opening the door wider to allow them entrance, Josie greeted her first two arrivals with a relieved smile that soon changed to one of avid interest.
 
Solya reached out and pinched Josie playfully.  “Hush, you.”  Noticing Josie practically staring at her guest, Solya alleviated her curiosity.  “Josie Salzedo, Jesse...Jesse Sota, Josie.  Shake hands and play nice, guys.'
 
They shook hands then Josies eyes widened in recognition.  “Omigawd, sexy-ass Jesse from 7th grade?  Damn, you aged well!”
 
“Dang, girl.  Gush much?”
 
“Eh, be easy on the woman, Solya,” Jesse chided, then spoiled it by adding, “After all, I am quite a sight to behold.”
 
“Mind ya biz, bro.”
 
“I'm just being a polite guest, Cuteness, so be nice.”
 
“Crap…” Solya groaned.
 
Cuteness?” Josie asked as innocuously as possible when Solya, “That's so…cute.”
 
Solya frowned and nudged Jesse with her elbow.  When he turned her way with a goofy grin on his face, she mouthed the words “quit it!”—damned if his grin didn't widen.
 
“Aw, quit bruising the guy and come take off your coat.  You, too, Jesse.”  Finally noticing the carrier Jesse was carrying, Josie squatted down and looked in.  Kenpachi whimpered and licked at the gate when she offered her hand for him to sniff.  “Oh, he's a beauty.  Yours, Jesse?”
 
“Nope, it's Solya's.  His name's Kenpachi—Kenny—and according to all the rocking and whining, little man wants out.”
 
“I'd guess so.  Well, as long as he's nice to the kiddies, I don't see why not.”
 
As if summoned, Terry and Aishee scrambled into the room in a rush of childlike excitement, squealing when they saw Solya.
 
“Well, that was convenient,” Josie figured as the kids clamped onto Solya and gave her a twin hug before their sights zeroed in on the dog in the carrier.  “This is 2/3 of my brood—the boy is Terry and the girl is Aishee.  Say hello to Mr. Jesse, kids.”
 
“Hi, can we see your doggie?” Aishee asked Jesse.
 
“Yeah, Mr. Jesse, can we?” Terry added in.
 
“Um, ask Solya.”
 
“Auntie Sol?” they asked in unison, bright little eyes shining hopefully.
 
“Yeah, sure,” she allowed as she pulled the leash out her pocket and passed it to Terry.  “Be a sport and take him out to the backyard, okay?”
 
“Yayyyyyyyyyyy!” they screamed till Josie squinted and covered her ears.
 
“My poor eardrums…  Did your father give you two sugar this morning?”
 
“Um, Lucky Charms and, um…HiC,” Aishee supplied as Solya handed Kenny out of the cage and latched his leash on.
 
“Yeah, gotta maim the man…well, nothing to be done for it,” Josie sighed.  “You guys go on with the puppy—”
 
“Dog,” Solya corrected.
 
“—and let us finish up in the kitchen.  Go'on, git.”
 
“`Kay, Mami!” Terry laughed as Kenny leapt up and licked his chin.  “Come on, doggie dog.”
 
When the kids left the room, Josie hooked her arm around Solya and Jesse's shoulders and lead the way to the kitchen.  “Mind if I put you to work, Jesse?”
 
“No prob.  Do your worst.”
 
“Er…you may want to retract that while you have the chance, Jess,” Solya warned.
 
“Aw, c'mon, Solya.  What's the worse she can dish out?”
 
Solya sighed defeatedly and ran a hand through his short silky sable locks in a purely patronizing way and turned to Josie with a wry grin.  “Why don't they ever listen?”
 
Josie swallowed her laugh and schooled her face to hide the humor of the moment.  She wasn't gonna work him that hard.  Well, maybe a tad.  “He's a big strapping young man who looks like he regularly eats his Wheaties—he'll be quite all right.”
 
“Uh huh…”
 
“I'll be fine, Solya, “Jesse insisted, earning him a snort, “You're here to help, too, you know.  So,what could go wrong?” 
 
Solya just laughed and continued her walk to the kitchen.  `You were warned.'
 
 
 
 
<(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)> (>^^<) <(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)> (>^^<) <(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)> (>^^<) <(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)>
 
 
 
 
Okay, so she had a little—okay, a lot—more to do than Jesse figured.
 
`Well, damn…this house is huge!'
 
Yeah, that was the hell of it all.  While the ladies had the joy of cooking and food prep to keep them company—a job Jesse offered easily enough seeing as how he was pretty skilled in the kitchen and which Solya had quickly attested to, regaling Josie on his Chicken Parmesan being better than Olive Garden's version—he was regulated the pack mule after all…
 
And what did that job entail?  Well, let's see…  Emptying the trash pails on all the floors, the front and back cans and lugging them to the dumpster at the end of the block; then filling them all with new bags.   Setting up extra tables and chairs in the den for extra company because, according to Josie, folks are famous for bringing extra guests along without prior notice.  Stocking the bathrooms with extra toilet paper, paper towel, cans of air freshener, magazines, and soap.  And, oh yeah, there was some food prep—cutting up what he deemed as a year's supply of onions and peeling, oh, let's say a thousand potatoes.  Okay, that may have been a bit drastic—maybe closer to 300…or 450.
 
Okay, he did offer to do that last task, but…
 
`I am such a pushover.  Oh well, if it eases the burden, I guess I can manage.  Anything for Solya.'
 
Still, the last task was the most fun.  He went into the children's play area and setup three televisions with video games—Xbox, Nintendo Wii, and, of all games he expected the kids to be into, a Super Nintendo—and, as an afterthought, setup one of the TV sets with a split jack to hook up a DVD player alongside the video game console.  As he was headed out of the room, he met the third of Josie's children, Andre.  Little man was a trip—cheeky as all get out and cocky to boot.  When Jesse had a seat to rest for a few minutes, Andre challenged him to a quick game of Mortal Kombat 2 on the Super Nintendo console with the phrase “I betcha $5 you can't beat me in MK2” and the competitive nature he couldn't suppress if he tried roared to life.  Not that he'd take money from a little kid but, well, it was a guy thing he supposed as excuse enough; and, with a flair that was almost scary, Andre whipped him good—5 times in a row.  Then the little hustler patted him in a way that he could only see as patronizing and offered to let him out of the deal stating it wasn't fair and that he never had a chance.  He had his pride—he paid the kid.  In hindsight, it was pretty funny how the kid baited him with a lightweight defense till his life force was almost gone, then let him have it.
 
`That kid'll clean up if he ever gets good at pool or Poker.  Knock on wood.'
 
Realizing that nearly 25 minutes had gone by and the time for everyone to arrive was fast approaching, he headed for the kitchen to see what the ladies were up to.  As he was about to clear the threshold, he overhead their conversation and nearly laughed out loud.
 
`Hmmm, looks like I'm a pretty popular topic today…I'll give `em a few minutes before I join `em.'
 
And with that, he propped himself up on the wall on the other side of the kitchen and settled in for a good listen.
 
 
 
 
 
<(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)> (>^^<) <(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)> (>^^<) <(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)> (>^^<) <(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)>
 
 
 
 
“Did you hear something?” Solya asked as she concentrated on the sounds around them.  `Could've sworn I heard someone.  Maybe not.'
 
“No, and quit trying to change the subject.”
 
“I wasn't.”  `I was...'
 
“Uh huh…”
 
“Zip it, Salzedo.”
 
“But…he called you `Cuteness', Sol,” Josie whined as if that was answer enough for her constant litany of probing questions.
 
“Yeah, he did,” Solya grumped as she packed a new deviled egg with filling too hard and it ripped down the side.  “Remind me to deck him for that, will ya?”
 
“Why?  It's adorable!” Josie assured her.  “And watch it with the horduerves, babe.  I don't have any more eggs.”
 
“More damaged goods for me to dispose of, then?”
 
“No way!  Those  eggs will go straight to your hips—
 
“And various other bodily crevasses?”
 
“— `sides, you already ate 3 `mistakes' today—besides being bloated to gassy proportions, that can't be good for your diet.”
 
“Gasp!”
 
“Well, it's true!  Just think back to last Easter?”
 
“Not that, girl!” Solya laughed. “Aw, hell, Josie; you said the `D' word—the word guaranteed to take all the wind out of my sails”
 
“Yeah, yeah, yeah… `Diet' is not part of your vocabulary, I know…”
 
“Glad you recalled that fact.”
 
“Okay, back to the original train of thought.”
 
“Which was…?”
 
“Yeah, not buying.  You're not dense or senile…well, not all that senile…  I'm talking about Mr. Sota, Sol.”
 
“Oh.  Him.  Gotcha.  What about him?”
 
Josie rolled her eyes at Solya lame attempt at aversion.  “Why are you so disgruntled with the attention, hon?  He's just being honest.  You are cute, yanno.”
 
“Josie…”
 
“You are!  As a matter of fact, I think you've got a fan, Sol.”
 
“I do, actually, and it swivels at blows out at three speeds.  Thanks for noticing,” Solya drawled, knowing what was on the horizon and powerless to stop it.
 
“He's so sweet!” Josie squealed ignoring her attempt to derail the conversation.
 
`Yep, here we go…'
 
When Solya didn't comment, Josie nudged her in the ribs and smirked.  Solya sighed and filled the last deviled egg waiting on Josie's comments on her choice of being alone. 
 
It didn't take long.
 
“You act like you're allergic to love, Solya.  What's a matter hon?  Someone break your heart and you neglect to tell me?”
 
Solya nearly choked.  “H-hell no!  Heaven forbid!” she rushed to avouch.
 
“He's a really nice guy and it's obvious he's into you.  You like spending time with him, don't you?
 
“Yeah,” Solya concurred with a small smile, “He's nice enough.  And…?”
 
And?  Well, why not give him a try?”
 
“Jos…”
 
“Seriously, Solya.  Why not?  What's he gonna do, bite ya?”
 
“Mind your business, Josie.”
 
“You know I love you, girl.  I just want you to be happy.  And, according to the flush creeping over your face, I think he makes you happy—”
 
“He's a'ight.”
 
“—and like you told me earlier, he looks out for you, sees you home in cabs he pays for, cooks for you, worries about you, and hooked you up for your birthday!”
 
“Well, yeah.  He did.”
 
“And, I mean, come on!  Kenpachi's adorable and so well-mannered!  And the very fact that he's keeping him for you.  That says a hell of a lot.”
 
“It's not like that, though, so stop assuming.”
 
“Assuming?  Honey, it's pretty obvious.”
 
“I'm not looking for anything to come out of this other than, well, friendship, I guess.  I mean, he never mentioned anything about wanting to be with me and it was never an issue with us, anyway.  So, just drop it, Josie.”
 
“Okay, I'll leave it with this.  Sure, you came into your acquaintanceship with Jesse on a purely platonic level or whatever but…well, just look for the signs.  They're there, girl.  He's attentive, he flirts with you, teases you, keeps in touch, enjoys your company—he kissed your boo boo for heaven's sake!”
 
Please, stop,” Solya groaned.
 
As if she wasn't embarrassed enough, Jesse picked that particular moment to stroll into the kitchen.  “Slave labor is done, my queens.”
 
“The kingdom is in your debt,” Josie joked, earning a hearty laugh.
 
Jesse stared at Solya for several seconds, thoroughly enjoying the sight of her blushes, due to him of course.  That was a plus.  He started to egg her on more but realizing that she was about to snap, decided to be a nice guy and clam up.  “Well, thank you, my liege.  I think I shall walk the royal hound, now.  Will you accompany me, Queen Solya?”
 
“No, lowly servant,” Solya giggled back, “The royal feast still needs my final touches.  But, perchance you will let the princess and princes accompany you?”
 
“Very well, Cuteness.  I'm off!” Jesse answered and, turning on his heel, left out the room before Solya had a chance to deck him for the nickname.
 
“Oooooh, this is so swee—oops!  I'm shutting up, now.”
 
“Thank you, Josie—finally!”
 
“Okay,” Josie whined, “just crush the romantics, why don'tcha?”
 
“Yep.  Sounds about right.  What time is it anyway?”
 
“Almost 6:30 and no one has arrived yet.  Hallelujah!  The Potato salad's still a bit warm.”
 
“Hell, put it in the freezer.”
 
“Ewwww!  Who the hell wants ice-coated salad?”
 
“Well, of course you take it out before that happens.”
 
The doorbell rang right before Josie voiced her reply.  Quickly washing her hands and drying the on a kitchen towel, Josie jogged to the front door.  “I'm coming!”
 
The door opened to reveal Jerrod and Trevor.  Trevor, looking antsy, backed back up out the door.  “I'll, uh, be right back guys.  Right back…well, in the next half hour or so.”
 
“Huh?  What's up, Trev?”
 
“Oh, Josie, he thinks he's illegally parked and wants to go check on his car—10 blocks away,” Jerrod sighed.
 
“Why'd he…?”
 
“Don't  ask.”
 
“O-okay, then,” she agreed and turned her attention to Trevor.  Guess I'll see you when you get back then, Trev.”
 
“Cool. Back in a flash, Josie,” Trevor called out as he turned to run back to his car.
 
“That Trevor…  He's so…him,” Josie laughed.
 
“Amen to that.  Who's here?”
 
“Me, the kids, Solya, Jesse…and Kenny.”
 
“Jesse.” Jerrod ground out.
 
“Yeah.  And, by that tone of yours, he's a long lost pal, huh,” Josie drawled in an all too knowing way.
 
“Gee, check that out, Josie,” Jerrod commented as he pointed out the window, “A flying pig.”
 
“Yeah, yeah, I gotcha…You're not a fan, huh?”
 
“And, you are most observant.  And Kenny…who the hell is—?”
 
His answer came in the form of a very exuberant puppy—dog?—who bound to his side and leapt up and down on his hind legs and barking.
 
“Great timing, Kenpachi,” Josie crooned to the dog before turning her attention back to Jerrod.  “Jerrod, meet Kenny—Solya's doggie.”
 
Jerrod squatted to pet the dog when Jesse followed seconds later.  “Sorry `bout  that, Josie.  Little dude jetted away from me before I could reattach his leash.”
 
“No big deal, Jesse.  He's a good dog.  Oh, meet Jerrod.”
 
“We've met,” Jerrod offered.  “Anyway, where's Sol?  Gotta get our strategy down to a science if we're trouncing you and Matthieu for Le Grande Prize.”
 
“I'll get her,” Jesse offered and about 30 seconds later, Solya and Jesse came back from the kitchen.  “Yeah, as I was saying, Cu—Solya—your friend wants to go over strategies and stuff.”
 
“O-oh.  I see.  It's just…” Solya tried, waving her arms helplessly between the two young men, “Well, being as how I brought him with me and all, I figured I'd…that maybe I should…partner with Jesse.  Makes sense…right?”
 
Josie, trying to be helpful and keep all potential tension down to a simmer, jumped in.  “Oh, well then…looks like it's a 3-way game to figure out partners—fair enough to me.”  She glanced from Jesse to Jerrod and back semi-nervously.  `Can Jer's jaw get any tighter?'
 
“Yeah, Jerrod,” Solya continued, thankful for Josie's backing, “what do ya say?”
 
Jerrod was known as the laid-back, cool one of the crew; the guy who got along with just about anyone and always saw the point in every change of circumstance.   Generally seen as the one person who never seemed to blow up at people and who exhibited a usually unshakable calm.  In a word, mature.  Yeah, that generally fit the description…
 
In response to Solya and Josie's inquiries, he had one thing to say—not exactly expected, at that…
 
“Oh, hell no!”
 
Josie stifled a shocked laugh, Jesse's eyebrows climbed his forehead slowly, but he withheld comment, Kenny, for once, sat still, and Solya just stare, gaping at her best friend.
 
`Okay…that was awkward…'
 
 
 
 
<(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)> (>^^<) <(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)> (>^^<) <(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)> (>^^<) <(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)>
 
 
 
 
 
A/N: Well, guys, here you are.  I tried my best and I got a lot of great help for this chapter so I was well prepared.  I'm currently working on Chapter 18 and hope my WB is gone for good.  I hope this lives up to your expectations, everyone. 
 
Also, my thoughts are with my aunt and cousin's who last month lost their father, my uncle “Joe Rock Head” Hayes, and Sueric, who, today lost her mother-in-law.  May God bless you and keep you.
 
Honorable mention: My cousin for always supplying me with practical advice and a swift kick in the creative keister when needed.  Zero, BlkBltVette, psycho_chick32, BobbyJustGotSheared, cutechick18, Proforce of the Suericfanfiction forum for all your help, suggestions, and encouragement.  It meant more than words could express.  And, as always, my Beta—you GO, girl!  **glomps everyone good**