Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Mechanical Affection ❯ Epilogue ( Epilogue )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Mechanical Affection- Chapter 20

Epilogue for Ending #1

“You don’t have to go.” The girl said as we watched Matt pack his things. He didn’t say anything as he folded up the tent. From what I’d gathered and currently could remember, Matt and I were taking a trip. It had something to do with the weather and me. I wasn’t sure how the two were fully connected but I did appreciate that he seemed to want to be moving someplace warmer because the cold sucked.
The girl moved in and began to help him back, talking a bit too fast for me to keep up now. I was beginning to feel a little left out so I looked around for something I could do, but I was never great at packing either. Left up to me, living or dead, a quarter of the things we’d need would simply disappear. So I busied myself with kicking a little yellow ball. The black dog wandering around went after it immediately and brought it back to my feet. I kicked it a few more times before the dog wanted to keep the ball and I was left with nothing to do but scuff up the dirt on the ground.
“Mitch!” I looked up and went to Matt as he got up. Turning me around, he strapped a pack on my back. It was heavy enough that I had to hunch forward just a little to keep from tipping. The larger stuff, like the tent and a fold-up chair, were put into a wagon with some other heavier supplies. I figured I’d be pulling that. Apparently I was Mitch, half zombie, half mule. Thanks a lot, Matt.
“I’m not changing my mind, Claire… It’s not good for him here. It’s not safe.” Matt said as he moved around to stuff some things in my many pockets. I seemed to be wearing a military uniform and it sure had a lot of pockets, “Don’t worry about us… We’ll look out for each other. We’ll be okay.” Claire didn’t seemed convinced, neither did I. But all things considered… A  change of scenery might be night. I’d love to see the beach. I don’t know that I’d ever been to a beach before or if the vague images I had of it were dreams, or pictures, or something. I just seemed to know that they were warm places. Also, there wouldn’t be any trees to trip over. Yes, a beach would be nice.
I tried to mentally project the thought to Matt… It probably didn’t work.
“Who knows… Maybe there’s someone out there who can help him.” Help me? I’m totally, perfectly fine. Better than Mr. Crazycakes here. Claire tried to object but Matt quieted her with a few words. Then he gave her hug and whispered something. Probably a goodbye. While he looked around to make sure there wasn’t anything being left behind, Claire came over to me and gave me a hug… Which I stood awkwardly and took until she let me go.
“If he gets hurt… I’m not going to forgive you.” Me? What did I have to do with it? Was she already blaming me for something I didn’t do? That was disrespectful… And rude, “I really don’t know what he’s thinking.” I’m not even sure he knew. I glanced his way as he picked up one last thing.
I let out a soft wheeze that might have been a sigh. I’d do my best to look after him… I guess.
“All right, we’re ready.” Matt said, placing a hand on my shoulder, “Let’s get going.” He looked around, “Have you seen New York?” I stared blankly at him and Claire waved at us a bit before moving away. She returned shortly with another zombie. He also had a backpack on and pockets bulging with small items. Apparently we were taking him with us. Which suited me just fine, though I was a bit pissed that he got to walk around without a damned mask. Apparently, I could not be trusted.
“Looks like we’re all here.” Matt finally said before giving one last look to Claire, “Well… If I never see you again… You were a better friend than I ever could have asked for.” He told her, which was cheesy and lame… And so Matt.
“Whatever, just get out of here. We’ll see you here next summer… Mark your calendar.” Next summer? Sounded like a lot of effort… But Matt said ‘okay’ anyway before he grabbed the wagon and led us away. Sweet, I didn’t have to haul the cart.
When the forest ended, the world opened up into vast roaming hills. There was a lot of space, little cover, and I could see some guys, and girls, like me wandering around out there. I looked at Matt as he stood looking out into it. Are you sure you want to do this?
He reached out and grabbed my hand. The little black dog barked and ran ahead, bounding in the tall grass. We followed. I guess we were actually doing this. I think he felt he had to do this for me and that gave him the courage to actually do it.
I looked at New York and he looked at me. Matt was a good guy and we were lucky to have him… As long as we were together, we’d be okay.


Epilogue for Ending #2

You shouldn’t eat that… I stared at Matt as he considered a very unappetizing meal of berries he’d found in the woods. It seemed like it was getting too cold out for berries but, then again, I have limited knowledge on the subject anyway. For all I knew they were poisonous to humans, of the breathing variety at least. But Matt wasn’t exactly that, was he? I couldn’t quite decide what he was to be honest. I certainly didn’t want to eat him, and neither did anyone else. Our dog was a different story but she was fast so whatever.
Matt stuffed the handful in his mouth all at once, rapidly chewed and swallowed like it was something vile… Then sighed. Shouldn’t have done that. I watched him as he covered his mouth. Feeling sick there buddy? My head fell to the side a bit as I waited, but nothing happened. Hm. That seemed like it hadn’t been a good idea.
“I think I’m okay,” I was skeptical but followed as he got up, presumably to find more of the tiny things. A lot of effort for something so small, I looked down at the dog… Whose name I’d temporarily forgotten. Matt would inadvertently remind me… Probably. She looked up at me and wagged her tail. I can’t imagine why she’d do that. I was terrible company.
When I looked back up, Matt was doubled over near a tree. I’d love to say ‘I told you so’, but my grunting equivalent would have been regrettably insufficient. I stumbled up behind him and looked down at his feet… Gross. Then I looked at his face. Could we get some real food now? I was starving. He wiped his mouth with the back of his arm and straightened up to look me head on, “Fine… You win.” A prize? Please say it was a decent meal, “Let’s find some meat.” Yay!
Crouching down, Matt gave the dog a pet on the head before he shrugged his backpack off and pulled out what looked like an animal skin, “Toto.” He held it to her nose, “Seek.” She smelled the skin then gave a bark before running off. Throwing the pack on clumsily, he ran after her… All right guys… I’ll uh… Just follow back here.
I wandered their general direction, never losing sight because Matt stopped frequently to look back at me. I only caught up when he’d found whatever it was he was looking for and, clever as he was, flushed the animal from its home and caught it. Mm, rabbit. I’d have preferred it handed over live, but Matt beheaded it messily on a rock and gutted it. Those were perfectly good innards. I made a grab for them but I got my hand smacked. God damn it! I’m hungry!
After he’d ripped off the skin, he stood up and held out the rabbit toward me. I reached, he stepped back- Hey! Stop that! I swiped at it and he lifted above his head with a grin. Oh, that’s the game he wanted to play? I’d wipe that smirk right off his pretty little face. That food was getting cold! I snapped at his hand and he jumped away. Fuck, he was sure nimble for a dead guy- Er, half-dead guy.
He ran into a tree and I trapped him there, reaching desperately for the meat. With both hands above his head, he ripped it apart and finally some dropped down within reach. I grabbed his hand and ate from it, groaning pleasantly at the warmth of it on my tongue. When it was gone, he pushed me away and ripped off another piece for me to eat on my own before leaving me to sit or something somewhere else.
As I finished up, I turned to watch him. He still had a bit of food and I wanted it. I shuffled in close. You going to eat that?
He looked up at me with his red eyes, “I can’t believe I’m actually going to do this.” It tastes better than you’d think. Of course, if he didn’t want it… I’d always eat it. I waited to see if he might give it up and was disappointed when he took his first bite. It was slow and he chewed cautiously… But that was only the first bite. Making some kind of weird inhaling noise, he chewed hungrily at the bloody flesh. Then he moaned delightfully as he swallowed down mouthful after mouthful… I was so envious.
He licked his palms and wiped his face. Then he stood in front of me, “You’re a mess.” He said with a laugh as he wiped my face. I don’t know if all of the blood was gone or not when he leaned in and licked my chin… I’m assuming not, otherwise that would have been weird. Though, considering, he landed a soft-lipped kiss on my own mouth… Weird was probably right up his alley. Crazy bastard, “Love you.”
So weird.
His arms found their way around me and I frowned at him as he pressed our heads together and looked into my hazy eyes. I think we were sharing a moment, “We’ll find more… More like us.” Like us? I wasn’t aware that we were the same at all, “Someplace safe where we won’t have to worry about… Getting shot and starving. A little zombie community.” I think he’d really gone off the deep end, but if it made him happy to dream… Why not? “And if we can’t find one… I’ll make one… Just for you.” How sweet, “Come on.” He pulled away and took my hand in his, “Let’s search the city… I want to take New York with us.”
Right… So this was ‘life’ now. Searching for something that didn’t exist which was probably the most human thing on the planet to do… But I would be searching with someone who loved me. And that was just fine with me. I wasn’t alone anymore.


Yeah, individually they’re a little short, but I did write two of them!
Also, as a general note, if I do Matt’s story (I probably am, I’ve already started writing the prologue) these ending will obviously affect that. I may just have to do another split though if things continue as they are (so far the vote seems pretty even).