Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Memoirs of a Necromancer ❯ Beginnings ( Chapter 1 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
I first met her when I was ten years old...

No, I suppose I should start at the beginning. She'd like that better. So, the beginning...

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was God, and the Word was with God....."

All right, I get it. My beginning. Don't worry, I'll do this properly. I suppose I should start with my earliest memories...

The first thing I can really recall is my mother. This is not necessarily a happy memory. Death Mages, myself excepted, rarely make great-or even good-parents.

Mother was making me breakfast. I was only one at the time, so this was forgiveable. She was telling me what she and father had expected of me.

I don't recall what lead up the phrase, but I do recall what earned me the bruise across the whole right side of my face:

"I love you, Mommy."

That was all it took . I recall that lesson from her very well. She smacked me so hard I saw stars. From that moment on, I knew parents were not to be loved. At least, not mine.

It probably didn't help that I didn't get breakfast, either.

I didn't dare push love with my father. Who knows what he would have done if I had.

*******

My next few meories consist of bringing half dead animals home and trying to heal them. My father always found and killed them. Except for a cat he took a liking to.

I've always wondered what happened to that cat. I guess it's too late to find out now.

The next two years of my life consisted of either being very afraid or very alone. And underfed. I was very hungry during those two years. I'm not exactly certain how I managed to survive, but I did.

For which she's eternally grateful, I'm sure.

On the day I turned three, my parents-loathe as I am to call them such-decided that they were tired of me. They were goin got put me up for adoption, but the school stepped in then.

The Death Professor-a Master Mortus at the time-came and claimed me. He had no intention of lettin gmy considerable talent go to waste.

Thus began my life at the Academy.

*******

Life there went well. Seeing as I was a ward of the Academy, they gave me a private room in each of the schools. There was a public section, where I spent most of my time, and a private section for the particularly powerful.

For the first time I could recall, I was eating enough. Master Mortus would read me stories, and all the othe rMasters would teach me small magics that any mage coul learn.

From them I recieved better care than I would ever recall recieving from my birht parents. And slowly, I came to love them in return.

I remember Master Mortus' face the day I told him.

"Mast'r 'Tus! Love you!"

He beamed so brightly. I guess I made his day for the rest of his life with that comment. I would repeat it daily, since he never punished me for it.

I think I was waiting to see how long it would take him to punish me.

He never did.

The other teacher that I came to think of as a surrogate parent was Master Venyr. He was the Storm Master, responsible for the entire School of Storm.

He was kind, in his own way, and taught me what the word love normally meant to Death Mages. I told him that the things I felt were not that kind of love, but simply the love a child has for family.

Once he knew that, I could tell him I loved him and he didn't mind.

Now that I think about it, the relationship between my two favorite Masters was far more than that of two people who worked together. I think Master Morstus loved Master Venyr to Death.

Don't judge him for it. Death Mages cannot help when that happens. They must have had something the other needed.

I guess that means I had three fathers, technically. That's a nice thought. At least, the thought of the two adoptive fathers is nice. I could have done without the biological one if he hadn't been necessary for giving me life.