Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Not Your Average High School Story ❯ Chapter Two ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: The short story contained within is a work by the Brothers Grimm and is not my own. The whole story can be found at http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~spok/grimmtmp/.
 
Chapter Two
 
The teacher stands up and walks swiftly to the front of the room. Her eyes trail over the seats, probably taking a head count.
 
“Class,” she starts. Her voice is a little high pitched. Not ear-shatteringly so, just enough for it to be annoying. Isn't that wonderful? I'm going to have to listen to this voice all day. “We have a new student today.” She continues. At that statement, every eye in the classroom turns toward me. Well, except for that guy who's asleep. The teacher looks down at me. She gives me a smile that I know means she's going to do something that I'm not going to like. “My name is Akunen-san. Why don't you stand up and tell the class about yourself?”
 
I groan inwardly. Dammit, dammit, dammit. I hate this part. I rise to my feet and look to my classmates. “My name is Ranmaru Tsuzuki. This is the,” I look to the ceiling, “fifth school I've attended this year? Hmm, that sounds about right. Whatever. I don't live with my parents, but I do visit my father often. I like archery, kendo, and art. Oh, and I'm also a martial artist. I own two dogs named Roiyaru and Shingi. I don't like cats for many reasons that I won't get into.” I look to Akunen-san. “Now, is that enough? Or do you need my blood type as well?”
 
Someone laughs. I look over to where the sound came from. The guy looks back, then gives me a smile and a small wave. I smile back. He looks like a pretty nice guy. He has a slight build and short, bleach-blonde hair. His glasses are sliding down his nose and his clothes seem a little too big for him; they're probably hand-me-downs. Maybe Myouri was right. Maybe I will make a friend at this school. Truthfully, I've never had any friends at school. I'd like to say that it's because I move around so much, but that isn't the case. I'm just a bit of a loner is all. But even a loner can get lonely. Maybe having a friend for a while would be nice.
 
A textbook drops onto my desk with a loud thud. My teacher is scowling down at me. I don't think she appreciated my joke very much. "Well," Akunen-san says darkly, "Why don't you start the reading Mr. Tsuzuki?"
 
I shrug. "What page?"
 
"You can read pages 572 through 584." The teacher then smirks triumphantly, as if she had won a major battle. Bah, whatever.
 
I open my book and flip through the pages until I reach the page I'm supposed to read. It's a short story called "The Juniper-Tree". I grin. She is going to regret this. Now normally I'm not as out going as this and I know that I'm going to catch hell from Ittou for making a scene, but who cares? Akunen-san is the one that started this battle, but I'm going to be the one who makes it into a full-scale war!
 
I begin to read in a droning tone, "It is now long ago, quite two thousand years, since there was a rich man who had a beautiful and pious wife, and they loved each other dearly." I give out a long, loud, agonizing sigh, as if this were the worst possible thing that a person could do to me. "They had, however," I continued in the same dull voice, "no children, though they wished for them very much, and the woman prayed for them day and night, but still they had none." At that I looked at the page with sad eyes, as if I knew the rich man and his wife and felt so much pity for my dear friends. But still, as I continued, my voice remained monotone, " Now there was a court-yard in front of their house in which was a juniper tree, and one day in winter the woman was standing beneath it, paring herself an apple, and while she was paring herself the apple she cut her
finger, and the blood fell on the snow. 'Ah', said the woman, and sighed right heavily, and looked at the blood before her, and was most unhappy, 'ah, if I had but a child as red as blood and as white as snow'. And while she thus spoke, she became quite happy in her mind, and felt just as if that were going to happen." This continued for a long while. I spoke in the same dull, lifeless tone until most of the class was at least half asleep.
 
"One day the woman had gone upstairs to her room, and her little daughter went up too, and said, 'mother, give me an apple'. 'Yes, my child,' said the woman, and gave her a fine apple out of the chest, but the chest had a great heavy lid with a great sharp iron lock." I continued in a more normal tone of voice. But by now my follow students, as well as Akunen-san, were so out of it, they didn't notice the change. I read for a while in that tone before--
 
"She shut the lid down, and his head flew off" I shouted out dramatically and the class rose with a start, "and fell among the red apples. Then she was overwhelmed with terror, and thought, if I could but make them think that it was not done by me." The rest of the story I continue with the same theatrics. The class, even the guy who's been sleeping this whole time, stare at me in rapt attention, hanging on my every word. I tear up when the girl finds her brother dead, I twist my face in horror as the man unknowingly eats the pie made from his son's corpse. And then as I bring the story to a close, Akunen-san smiles at me.
 
"Mr. Tsuzuki,"
 
I close my book and place it back on my desk. "Yes Sensei?"
 
"Please go to the office."
 
I stare at her in feigned shock. "But why? All I did was read the pages you asked me too."
 
"Don't argue with me! Go."
 
My eyes widen innocently. "But I still don't-"
 
"Now!" She says shrilly.
 
I frown as I walk up the aisle and past her desk as if I'm trying to figure out why exactly I'm in trouble. Once I'm safely past Akunen-san, however, I smirk. I have won this battle and officially started a war.
 
_________________________________________________________________ _______
 
A/N: Yay! The first two chapters are all done and up! w00t! Please review, I want to now how I did.