Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Whatever Happens ❯ Amnesia ( Prologue )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]


‘Lithium
Don’t wanna lock me up inside
Lithium
Don’t wanna forget how it feels without
Lithium
I wanna stay in love with my sorrow
But god I wanna let it go’
Evanescence ~ Lithium



Tires screeched loudly as the smell of burning rubber filled the air. A resounding crash was heard, then another, followed by the sound of metal sliding against concrete. The rain picked up and lightning flashed, silhouetting an upturned vehicle, the windows are shattered, and the tires continued to spin in the cold night air. People rushed towards the scene as a lone figure watched from a nearby rooftop.

“It’s done,” the figure said into a cell phone before hanging up and turning away from the accident, a long leather duster swishing around dramatically at the sudden movement.

Thousands of miles away a woman sat up suddenly in her bed. The man next to her inquired as to her well being, yet she continued to stare at the blanket covering her lap, her vision unfocused. The man touched her arm softly to gain her attention and she looks at him wildly.

“Something’s wrong,” she told him ominously, “very wrong.”
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I hate how when right when you wake up, even if you keep your eyes closed, how much the light hurts. I tried to crack my eyelids just a little bit to allow myself time to adjust to the suns rays, but it hurt so damn much I gave up and just opened my eyes.

Bad idea, I thought as my head began to almost instantly pound and my eyes watered. I rolled off of my back onto my side. Where the hell was I, the last thing I remember was, well nothing.

Giving up I closed my eyes again, throwing my arm over them to keep the sunlight out. I was almost asleep again when I heard a door open and footsteps come towards me. I lifted my arm and opened my eyes just enough to see a woman looking back at me.

“Mr. West,” she said to me in a no nonsense tone.

“Who,” I asked confused, who the hell was Mr. West. She looked confused at my question and glanced at the clipboard in her hands before back at me.

“You are Mr. Adonis West, right,” she asked.

“Am I,” I couldn’t remember anything. Before I could ask her anything else she turned and exited the room leaving me alone and confused. What the hell was going on, and why couldn’t I remember anything?

A hundred questions floated through my mind, who am I, why am I here, what happened?

The door opened again and a different woman entered the room followed by the first one. Without a word she pulled out a small flashlight and began shining it in my eyes.

“What the hell,” I shouted at her as the light caused the throbbing between my eyes to increase.

“What is your name?”

“I don’t know?”

“Where are you from?”

“I don’t know?”

“What year is it?”

“2009.”

“Who is the president?”

“Obama.”

“Well it seems as if only your personal memories have been damaged,” I looked up at the woman taking in her blueberry scrubs, stethoscope, and the badge pinned to her chest that declared her the senior doctor.

“Personal memories,” I asked raising an eyebrow.

“Yes memories and information directly pertaining to yourself,” she explained reaching towards me and unwrapping the bandages I could feel around the crown of my head. “Things such as who did what in history do not directly affect you, they’re just things you learned. So while you’re able to tell me that Obama is the current president, you probably can’t tell me what you were doing during when he was inaugurated.”

I tried to think back but my mind was drawing blanks. “So what will happen to me?”

She finished examining my head and turned to pull my chart from the foot of the bed. “Well, your head has healed nicely, but there is virtually no medical records for you.” She took another look at the clip board, “All we have is your basic information and insurance, we called the company but all they said was to send them the bill.”

“Basic information,” he asked hungrily, wanting to know as much about himself as possible, hoping that anything would trigger his memory.

“Height, weight, DOB, and name.”

He sighed, defeated, and rested his head tenderly against the head board.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Vanessa looked over at the patient and felt her heart clench at the sight of him completely lost. What would be like to not even be able to remember your own name, your family, your childhood?

Before she could stop herself she spoke, “Listen, a friend of mine owns some apartments, and he’s told me that he has a place for rent. There was quite a bit money on you when they brought you in, so I’m sure if you just pay him what you can he’ll let you stay until you get on your feet.”

His dark jade eyes shot open and he gaped at her. “You would do that for me, a complete stranger,” he asked shocked.

She smiled and sat down on the edge of his bed. “The only thing I hate about this job is that I can’t save everybody, so when someone comes along who I am capable of saving I try my damnedest to help them.”

“Th-tha-thank you,” his eyes lit up and finally, finally he smiled. Yeah, Vanessa thought smiling back softly, this job is worth it.


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~






.