Pet Shop Of Horrors Fan Fiction ❯ Little Lion ❯ Rescued ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
LITTLE LION



Chapter 6
Rescued



BY COUSIN D





Bombay-





'This is it!' Bombay thought, watching the human grab Little Lion and holding the cub tightly up to his chest. Bombay tensed, letting his lips roll back to show his fangs and his hackles rose when a deep rumble escaped from his throat. He was ready to spring with his eyes focused on the human male. The human raised his weapon to the female he'd just wounded and was unable to defend herself. Little Lion screamed and fought to protect the female he'd chosen to love.

With a great roar, Bombay crashed through the window of the apartment, landing between the male and the wounded female. He stood straight, making sure the human male would see what he was truly was, a creature nearly eight feet tall. Bombay looked like a cross between a cat and a human with a long shaggy tail and inch long claws on hands and feet. The human male simply stared in disbelief with his mouth hanging open and forgot about the female on the floor. He choked for a minute, unable to make any noise at all.

Little Lion, in that moment, squirmed free of his 'dad's' arms and ran to the female, kneeling next to her. From there, he stared up at Bombay with his mouth hanging open dumbly. Bombay tried to ignore the cub and hissed at the male, showing off his razor sharp teeth and couldn't help the smile that touched on his lips. This was a long time overdue.

The human screamed in holy terror, his hand tightened on his gun, firing off one shot that missed badly, going into a wall, before he ran. The coward managed to get out the apartment door before Bombay could catch him. Bombay snarled, but only managed one step before a voice stopped him.

"B-Bombay?" Bombay turned his head to look at Little Lion who still stayed close to the woman's body and had a hand on her shoulder for comfort. "Is that you, Bombay?" There were tears running down Little Lion's face, but it seemed to make him feel better just knowing that the female was there and his grip on her shirt tightened. "I...I..."

Bombay debated for a minute. He REALLY wanted to kill the human, but...Little Lion was crying. Finally, Bombay stepped closer to Little Lion. The cub's eyes were wide as saucers as he looked up to Bombay then at the door where his 'dad' had just run out of.

"Dad left me." Little Lion muttered, sounding honestly shocked. "He was gonna kill Mrs. Lisa and he left me." Little Lion began to shake violently and closed his eyes and his fist tightened on the fabric of the female's blouse. He let out a pitiful sob and buried his face in his still teacher's shoulder.

Bombay couldn't stand to see his Little Lion so hurt and he knelt on the floor, putting his arms around the cub. Slowly, without opening his eyes, Little Lion Leaned onto Bombay and the great creature picked him up, cradling Little Lion as gently as he could. Bombay purred loudly and as he did, Little Lion started to change. His body shifted easily into his true form of a lion cub.

The cub looked up at Bombay, confused, but Bombay licked the cub's head reassuringly. "Shhhh. Everything will be all right. The master is waiting for you. Come, cub. I will take you home." Bombay started walking toward the window, but Little Lion started to whimper.

"I want Mrs. Lisa!" Little Lion started to struggle and managed to jump out of Bombay's arms before scampering over to the female again. "I don't want to leave her."

"The master said nothing about..."

"I don't care!" Little Lion cried. "I want Mrs. Lisa! If my dad comes back and you're not here, he going to kill her!"

Bombay sighed and realized there was no help for it. He easily picked up the female's body and put her over his shoulder while he carried Little Lion in his other arm. It was like this that Bombay took them back to the petshop.





Leon-





Le on had no choice but to go with Bombay. He had no idea why he suddenly turned into a cat, or why Bombay was a monster, but Bombay seemed to understand what was going on. He knew it was Bombay, even though Leon didn't know how he knew.

Leon's heart was crushed. 'Dad thought Bombay was a monster and he'd just left me there. He didn't care if Bombay ate me or anything.' Leon cuddled closer into Bombay's arms. 'He really didn't care.'

Finally, after what seemed like hours, they came to the doorstep of the petshop where Count D stood, waiting for them.

Bombay approached slowly and bowed slightly before D. "He insisted that I bring the human, master."

D smiled, as he always did. "I'm not surprised." With hands that now seemed larger and terribly strong, D took Leon from Bombay and held him tightly. "Poor, Little Lion. Come in and have a cup of tea. Bombay, put the young lady on the sofa."

D sat in his high backed chair and let Leon sit on his lap while Bombay lay Mrs. Lisa down. "Master, the human escaped me. May I have leave to hunt him." Bombay asked eagerly once D had settled into his chair with Leon on his lap.

"No."

Bombay looked at his master, puzzled. "But...do you want him to escape?"

"Now, since when has anyone ever been able to runaway from their responsibilities when it comes to a contract? Just rest, Bombay. Everything is taken care of." It was a softly spoken order, not a request, and Bombay looked upset at the order. Even so, Bombay didn't argue and obediently curled himself up on the floor at D's feet. D ran a long nailed hand over Leon's head and spoke softly as he always did. "Do you want to be your old self again?"

"Yes." Leon knew there was something he should be remembering, but he just couldn't put his finger on it. Obviously, D knew why Leon had suddenly turned into an animal, but Leon thought he should remember, too.

"Then think yourself back as you were. You can do this, Little Lion. You've been through so much tonight, but as soon as you are yourself again, you can rest."

Leon thought of how he looked before he'd turned into a cat and almost instantly he was like that again. A boy, wearing the hospital gown his dad hadn't bothered to change him out of and still wearing the cast on his arm. He was also still sitting in D's lap. Leon choked back a sob, but then gave in. He didn't want to be strong right now and he knew, that so long as he was with D, he didn't have to be. D would be strong for him.

Leon wrapped his arms around D and buried his face into D's shoulder. "I hurt."

"Yes," D answered as he stroked Leon's hair. "I know."

For a long time they simply sat like that, completely silent.

"I tried to be good."

"Yes. You were very good."

Leon shook his head. "If I was good, he wouldn't have hurt me."

D turned Leon's head slightly to the side and kissed him on the cheek. "You were to good for that man. I am very proud that you were brave enough to stand up to him, Little Lion."

Leon was stunned at the kiss. No one, in his memory, except Mrs. Lisa, had ever kissed him before. Leon shuddered just once before he burst into tears and threw himself against D again. D rubbed Leon's back soothingly, but knew enough not to try and get Leon to stop crying. The cub needed this.

"Nothing to worry about, my pet." D soothed Leon's crying. "I will take care of everything."

When Leon's sobs had lessened, D turned Leon around, so he was just sitting on D's lap and not cuddled into him so much. On the coffee table was the usual setting for tea. D picked up the one teacup and held it out for Leon. "I want you to drink this."

Leon took the cup trustingly. "What is it?"

"Something to help you sleep a little easier. Drink it all up, like a good little boy."

Leon took a sip and then looked at D with suddenly heavy lidded eyes. "Am I still a little boy? Am I a monster?"

D smiled. "Do you think Bombay is a monster?"

"Well," -yawn- "he kinda looked scary, but he wasn't a monster." Leon looked down at Bombay who now looked like the fluffy white cat he had been before.

"You see, you are no more a monster than Bombay or I." D shifted Leon to the couch and Leon drank the rest of the tea. "You should rest now." Leon, without arguing, gave the teacup to D and lay his head down on the soft velvet of the couch. "When you wake, life will seem much happier."

Leon was drifting away to sleep when the heavy doors of the petshop were thrown open and there stood Leon's enraged dad. Leon blinked, trying to wake himself up, but the tea D had made for him was making him to sleepy. He didn't even think he could move.

Leon's dad stepped into the petshop with the gun still in his hand and his eyes wide, almost insane looking.

"Good evening, Mr. Barns. How may I help you?"

"I want my pet back, Count." Leon's dad was staring at Leon and, at that moment, Leon wanted nothing more than to run. Hide. Just get away. "He's mine. I paid for him fair and square!"

"True," D calmly stroked Leon's hair, brushing it away from his forehead. "But, you broke the contract. Therefore, the pet is no longer yours and I take no responsibilities for the consequences."

"Consequences?" Leon's dad laughed and pulled back the hammer of his gun. "You mean the monster you sent after me tonight?"

D sounded mildly surprised. "Monster? I assure you, I have no dealings with monsters at all!"

"Whatever." Leon's dad took another step closer, and his eyes scanned the room, taking in Mrs. Lisa's still body on the sofa and Bombay who hissed and looked like he wanted to pounce on the man. Finally, his eyes went back to Leon on D's lap. "I followed them back here, I saw the creature carrying my brat and the bitch back here. Did you think I wouldn't follow them?" He raised his gun and aimed for D. "Bullets can stop anything, even your monster. Give me back my kid and you won't hear from me again."

D's smile widened as he reached over and picked up Bombay with one hand while the other hand was petting Leon's hair in a soothing manner. D placed Bombay on Leon's lap and stoked the white cat until he settled slightly. "I don't think I shall hear from you again, regardless."

Leon's eyes felt heavy and he was having a hard time focusing on what was going on around him. Didn't D see how dangerous this was? Why wasn't he afraid? He tried to speak, but it came out as a pitiful kind of groan, to which Bombay started licking Leon's face.

"You really should pay more attention to the contracts you sign, Mr. Barns."

"I warned you, Count. I don't care about a paper I signed more than four years ago."

BANG! The sound of a gun rang through the shop loudly.

"Shit!" Leon's dad dropped the gun and grabbed his hand. He turned and Leon saw, over his dad's shoulder, Pete wearing an icy expression.

Leon's dad swung at Pete with his one good hand, but Pete was faster and much stronger. One blow and Leon's dad was flat on his back and bleeding badly from his mouth. For a minute, Pete shook and snarled down at the unconscious man, looking like he wanted nothing better than to kill the man on the floor.

"Good evening." D stood up and set both Leon and Bombay down in his chair. When he did, Leon heard him whispered softly, "Sleep." And Leon obeyed, slipping into a deep, dreamless sleep. Before he fell do deeply, though, Leon realized one thing. He wanted to be a policeman someday.





Pete-





"It is nice to see you again, Officer Pete."

Pete nodded, his anger getting under control while the man spoke to him. Count D seemed to have that kind of a peaceful influence. "Count. I followed Mr. Barns here. How's everyone?" He immediately went to his wife and then looked at Leon. They both seemed fine, though there seemed to be a horrible amount of blood everywhere.

"They will both live."

Pete turned at the Count's sad tone. "I have to get them both back to the hospital, but is there anything more life threatening?" Leon did seem to be very deeply asleep. He didn't seem to have any more injuries than before, though.

"Leon only sleeps because I have him something to help him rest; he was in quite a bit of pain. He is certainly in danger, though. Poor child," Count D looked at Leon. "He's an orphan, they will take him away from his adoptive father, and I fear for him if he's to be put in the wrong environment again."

Pete thought about this while he handcuffed Barns and called for back up. If the state screwed up and put Leon in a home that was anything like where he'd just been, it could mean disaster for him. Leon needed a good home, somewhere the parents could be trusted to be strict and take care of him properly.

"Why, this time it ended well because he was in contact with a sympathetic teacher and you, Officer Pete. If his new home is far away, though. In another city or even another state, it will be impossible to ensure that he is given the love he needs." He looked at Pete out of the corner of his eyes and looked thoughtful. "Perhaps, I will take him myself."

"You?" Pete said sharply. The idea of the Count adopting Leon just hadn't occurred to him before.

Count D smiled cheerfully. "Why yes! I have no children of my own and it would be nice to have help in the shop. I have pressing business outside the country soon, but there's no reason Leon can't go with me..."

"I'll take him!" Pete said forcefully. Almost as a second thought, he looked down at his wife. "I'm sure Lisa will agree with me. We'll take Leon. Lisa loves him all ready and he sure is attached to her."

"And you?"

"What?"

"Do you love Leon?"

Pete didn't have to think about it and answered honestly. "I love him like he was my own flesh and blood, Count. I'd do anything for that kid." Pete turned back to Lisa, thankful that the head wound didn't appear to be bleeding anymore. It must not have been as bad as he'd thought.

Pete didn't see the Count's sly, pleased smile.

"How did they get here, anyway, Count? Lisa surely wasn't in any shape to carry him all this way."

"I'm really not sure. They were at my doorstep when I opened my front door." There was something about his tone that made Pete look at the Count a little closer. Like the Count wasn't telling him the whole truth.

The Count merely smiled serenely.






Bombay-






"I want to go with him." Bombay said firmly. "I want to protect Little Lion." Officer Pete was waiting for his wife to wake up before anything was firmly decided about Leon and they waited until the other police arrived. It seemed to be taking a terribly long time, for some reason.

D gave him a serious look while they walked a bit away from the humans so they could speak in private. "Do you understand, I won't be back here for a many years? I am taking everyone, everyone you consider your family, back to China. You may never see us again."

Bombay didn't look away from D's intense look. "Yes, master, I understand. I'm not needed here anymore, though. The young have you to protect them and to teach them. I'm old, master. I've lived so long I can't remember my parents. I don't know where I came from. There is nothing but this petshop in my memory. I don't know how long my kind live, but it must be near the end for me. My bones grow weary and I'm not as strong as I once was, that the human was able to injure me proves that. If anyone were to attack the petshop, it's better that you have one of the younger ones to protect everyone. Little Lion does need me. He doesn't need me to fight or protect. He just needs me."

D gave Bombay a true, rare smile. "Very well, as you wish. We will miss you, Bombay. There has never been a more faithful protector than you. I give Little Lion into your keeping until I return."

"You are coming back then?" Bombay asked.

"Not for many years, but one day I will return. If for no other reason, I will return for Leon." The master paused and looked over to Pete who was now sitting next to Leon. "The cub will remember nothing of me or your true form when he wakes, Bombay. Tom Barns ordered him to forget who and what he truly is. Because of his nature of loyalty, Leon will not remember unless Mr. Barns orders him to. I do not want him confused or unhappy because of these memories."

"We could make the human order Leon to remember." Bombay suggested, looking at the human male who was still on the floor. Bombay was more than willing to beat the human until he did as the master wished.

"No. Mr. Barns will be taken to prison in a short while." He gave Bombay a significant look. "You will ensure that he does not live to see his trial. As far as I am concerned, he had had his trial and it is time for his punishment. It is more important that Leon is completely safe from that man rather than have his memories at this point. Perhaps when he is older, I will find a way to bring back his memories."

Bombay smiled at the thought of carrying out the execution. "Yes, master." Oh, this would be fun.

"Not until tonight." Count D put a hand affectionately on Bombay's shoulder. "I do not wish him to live long enough to see the dawn."

"I won't fail you, master." Bombay knew this would be a simple task. The human would be locked in a small cage and he'd be able to take the male's life without difficulty. 'I'll have to think about how to do this carefully. He needs to suffer after what he's done to my Little Lion.'







Lisa-







"Why are you playing adoption agency?" Pete asked the Count suspiciously when the Count had presented them with the contract and a quill to sign with. The police, who'd finally shown up, had long since taken Mr. Barns, kicking and screaming, to jail. He had gone swearing revenge and spitting that he was going to kill them all. Lisa was cringing at the hate in his voice and wondered if they should move right away.

"I'm not playing anything, Officer." Count D answered, apparently not at all bothered by Mr. Barn's loud exit. "This is not an adoption contract, that would be quite illegal, I believe. This is simply an agreement that I will not object to your adopting Leon and I will not try to take Leon for myself."

"There are, naturally, stipulations you must follow." Count D told them when Lisa had finally woken up. Pete and Lisa sat on the sofa opposite of Count D and the coffee table between them had the contract on it. Lisa had, when she'd woke up, taken Leon, who was still asleep, into her lap immediately. She couldn't remember exactly what had happened, but there was no way she was letting him out of her sight any time soon.

Count D Listed of the rules of the contract.

1: Give him all the love he wants.
2: Never mention that you met me. Ever.
3: Take Bombay with you.

Count D lifted the cat up and handed him to Lisa. "Leon has become quite attached to him and I know they would be unhappy separated. I will not be held accountable if you do not follow the rules." The rules are simple enough, we should be able to follow them with no trouble, Lisa thought.

"Sir?" Lisa asked. "Why don't you want us to tell him about you? From what I've seen, you've been a good friend to him."

"I believe he has lost part of his memory due to the trauma he's gone through. I don't want him upset if you try to force his memories to come forward. It is best if you just let things lie."

Pete took the quill and, without further hesitation, Pete signed:


PETER ORCOT








To be continued...