Pokemon Fan Fiction / Fushigi Yuugi Fan Fiction ❯ Pokemon: The Mysterious Game ❯ Chapter 5

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I was suddenly hit by inspiration. Now that I can do the Seiryuu seishi side, it's a lot more fun!
 
Disclaimer: Pokemon belongs to Nintendo and Shogakukan Comics. This non-profit, non-copyright infringing fanfiction belongs to me under international copyright laws and taking it is plagiarism. Thank you. *Phantomness bows*
Notes: <> for telepathy, ** for thoughts, italics if a pokemon talks
Timeline: 3 days later
 
Chapter 4: Acceptance - Rising Dragon
 
Ashline still limped slightly as Lance supported her. They were walking through the tiled halls of Kutou palace, and the beauty took away her breath. The halls glittered with gold and blue mosaics, as brilliant tapestries covered the walls. The emperor loved beauty; it was rumored, in any form.
“A-ano, Lance, where are we going?” She whispered. “And why is everyone staring at us?”
“You'll see in a minute.” Lance replied. They soon stopped near a door, surmounted with roaring golden dragons.
“Go on.” Lance said. Ashline blinked, but took a few hesitant steps into the gaping maw. As she stepped in, she felt a wave of power and warmth flood her body. For the first time in her life, she was actually drowning in peace and contentment.
“What is this feeling?” She asked breathlessly.
Lance walked in and put an arm on her shoulder. “This is Seiryuu's shrine. And he has Chosen you to be his miko.”
Ash's eyes widened.
“If he had not, you would not be able to enter this shrine. He accepts you, as I do.” Lance knelt down and removed his helmet, letting his blonde hair fall around his shoulders as the blue symbol, `Kokoro', flickered to life on his forehead.
“I am Seiryuu no Shichiseishi, Nakago.”
Ashline hurriedly pulled him to his feet, blushing. “You don't need to bow to me, Lance! We're friends!”
“…Friends?”
“Of course! You didn't save me because of some duty as a shichiseishi.” Ashline said, partly to convince herself and partly speaking in truth. “I know that.”
“Friends.” Lance repeated, with a small smile on his face. “I suppose we are, Miko-sama.”
“Drop the -sama.” Ashline said in exasperation. “'Kay, Lance-chan?”
Lance raised his eyebrows, but didn't comment. “All right, Ashline.”
“See? Isn't that so much better?” She impulsively gave him a hug, still feeling euphoria from Seiryuu's power.
“I suppose so.”
 
Lance smiled as he escorted her to the library. They spent an afternoon playing chess quietly.
Ashline smiled as she watched Lance move a piece. * He's nice… not like Misty… why did she betray me? But then, maybe she just didn't know I was in trouble… *
“Did you say something?”
“Oh!” Ashline looked a little surprised. “No, I was just musing.”
“Thinking about your friend again, Ashline?”
“Hai… but I'm not really sure what to think. I mean, maybe she didn't know I was in trouble.”
“Perhaps.” Lance agreed, capturing one of her pieces. “But you never know how fickle someone is until they are tested. And it seems to me that she failed the test.”
“…Maybe…” Ashline said, still unsure.
Lance got to his feet, silver armor glinting slightly. “I'll get us something from the kitchens.”
Ashline nodded, glad that he had changed the subject. She studied the white pieces on the board, sighing.
“Was our friendship just a game for you, Misty? Was it?”
 
Lance returned, flanked by another maidservant, carrying two trays of food, and the two friends ate dinner quietly.
“Lance-chan?”
“Yes?”
“You're in the army, aren't you?” Ashline asked. “I mean, you're always wearing the silver dragon-scaled armor, and…”
“You are correct, my priestess.” Lance said. “I'm the second in command in Kutou. The Shogun.”
“But… why haven't you taken me to see the emperor? I mean, if I'm going to save this country, shouldn't I-.”
Lance cut her off with a wave of his hand. “That would be unwise.”
Ashline blinked.
 
“The Emperor is no better then those men on the streets. He would take you to bed as soon as he glimpsed your face. His personal pleasure comes before the well being of our country. That is why I have not taken you before him. This is also why we need you as the light of our country, miko-sama.”
Ashline gasped in mixed outrage and fear. “He!”
“Yes.” Lance said, taking her hand in his. “I am trying to protect you, Ashline.”
“I-I didn't know…”
“You had no way of knowing.” Lance said, as he stroked her hair gently.
Ashline closed her eyes, a few tears slipping out, as she remembered again what she had gone through, and what Misty had been unable to save her from.
Lance let her cry quietly, before he led her back to her room.
 
Meanwhile… it has only been 40 minutes in the real world.
 
Misty was flirting with Falkner, who was trying to ignore her advances. She was dressed in her tank top and shorts, having changed as soon as Jynx had teleported her home.
Falkner inwardly groaned. * I am so going to kill whoever set me up on this date… *
 
Back in the book world…
 
“Lance-chan?”
“Yes, Ashline?”
“Could you…” Ashline blushed. “I…I want to be able to protect myself. In case anything… happens again.”
“Teach you how to fight?”
Ashline nodded.
Lance considered. * Not a bad idea… *
“Very well. But it will be difficult training.”
Ashline's eyes hardened. “Sometimes, you just have to take what the world throws at you, and not let it walk all over you.”
Lance hid a smile as his own words were rephrased back at him. “You are correct, miko-sama. We shall begin tomorrow. Get a good night's rest.”
Ashline nodded and fell asleep soon after.
 
The next morning, after a light breakfast of tea and rolls, the two headed out to an abandoned courtyard. Ashline was dressed in a dark blue jacket and pants, as skirts would get caught if she wanted to fight in them.
“Exactly what did you want me to teach you?”
“Well…everything, I guess.”
“That's a tall order.” Lance said. “But let's start with the basics.” He took off his cape and helmet, and took a stance. “I'll teach you unarmed first. That way, if you are weaponless, you will still be able to defend yourself.”
Ashline nodded and copied his movements as he slowly went through the basics.
“You have a good stance. But put more power into your attacks. Otherwise, your opponent will just brush them off.”
“No! Get down lower!”
“If you do that you might break your fingers when you punch someone. Here, I'll show you.”
 
And a few weeks flew by as the two trained and practiced. Ashline sighed as she climbed into bed after a long, hot bath. It had been another long day of training, but at least she was occupying her free time instead of brooding like some overgrown chicken. And Lance said she was learning well.
“Sleep well, Ashline.” Lance said, closing the door to her room.
Ashline nodded as she drifted off to sleep. * He's my guardian angel… and he's my only friend here…not like Misty… I can't believe I believed she was my friend… *
 
Lance smiled as he walked down the hall to his room.
“Soon, we shall be ready.”
“Nakago-sama?”
“Yes?” Lance turned to look at the twin seishi. “What did you two want?” The two seishi were younger by several years, and quite jumpy and nervous. It was no coincidence that this was caused when the Emperor had tried to take one of them to bed, and only his hasty intervention had saved her. Amiboshi and Suboshi…
“We were wondering… can we go to the market tomorrow? We're not supposed to leave the palace grounds without permission.”
“Of course.” Lance said. “You have my permission, and if the emperor tries anything again…”
One of the seishi shivered, while the other comfortingly put his arms around his twin.
“Knock him out.”
“Hai, Nakago-sama.” Both chorused, before they left to their own quarters.
“Aniki?”
“Hai?”
“You'll always be here to protect me, right?”
“Of course, little sister.”
The younger twin hugged her brother tightly as she returned the embrace. “I won't leave you freely either…”
 
End Chapter!
Started 10/7/03
Completed 2/13/04
(Uh-oh, than the earlier ones were wrong…)