Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Orange League Primer ❯ Primer ( Chapter 1 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Orange League Primer
Version 1.2
by: bsmart aka Tiek Mo Shet

The Orange League is my property of bsmart. The Primer and the information contained there in are sole property of bsmart and any changes to it must be approved by him. This document is rated R for its subject matter. This document and this version there of supercedes any previous Orange League Primer.

=================================

12/15/299

Accessing historical and sociological databases…

Searching for "Orange Islands"…

5 Primary and 32 secondary references located…

Displaying primary references…

The Orange Islands

A Guide to the Places, People, State and History of the Islands

I. History

A. Post Great War (1-20 A.S.)

The pre-Sukebe country of Australia survived the Great War relatively intact. While the rest of the world had been devastated by the war the land of Australia was left nearly untouched by the ravaging hordes of pokegirls and destructive tendencies of the Legendaries. The local populace suffered under feral attacks like any other portion of the world, but the major directed assaults were aimed elsewhere. Several major cities such as Perth, Sydney, and Brisbane even managed to make it through the war nearly whole thanks to the efforts of the Australian military. Total casualty figures for the country were only 80%.

At the conclusion of the war the country was one of the only ones still whole enough to continue acting as a coherent entity and though they were trying to heal their own wounds the Australians managed to offer aid and shelter to many of the refugees from other areas. Many of these refugees even sought to nationalize either looking for stability or out of gratitude.

With lower than average casualties, a large population influx of refugees, and an infrastructure still capable of supporting the populace Australia looked to be in line to be a dominant power in the newly forming world.

B. Eva Advent

In P.S. 20 a tamer, whose name has been lost to time, was experimenting with evolving her Eva. The tamer was making use of a long range communication device at the time and was in contact with a fellow tamer in the Forest League. The unknown tamer reported that she was about to attempt to evolve her Eva using an Angel Stone. Several minutes later the link with the Orange continent tamer was lost and a massive explosion, more powerful then anything unleashed during Sukebe's war, lit up the sky to the south.

The resultant detonation scooped out a crater more then 1300 kilometers in diameter and fractured the crust of the earth beneath the Orange continent, resulting in the creation of an inland sea and the breaking up of the remainder of the continent into hundreds of islands both large and small in a ring around the crater.

The most peculiar effect of this accident was the fact that this explosion produced virtually no fallout, which saved the rest of the planet from a "nuclear" winter. The material removed from the crater, tens of thousands of cubic kilometers of rock, has never been located. To date scientists have yet to be able to reconcile the apparent violence of the explosion with the minor after effects. Intensive study continues to this day.

Casualties from the explosion were minimal in most areas outside the League and limited primarily to oceangoing vessels, deep sea and flying pokegirls. Obviously the residents of the Orange continent were not so lucky; the casualty rate was 96% overall. Most survivors were located in the northwest and west, behind the peninsular mountains which acted as a shield during the calamity. Other survivors were usually living along the coast behind a line of high hills or low mountains. Almost all vegetation in the exposed areas was destroyed as were many small landmarks.

It should be noted that not all vegetation and landmarks were destroyed in the blast zone however. Numerous pockets of surviving plant and animal life have been noted, several small islands within the blast crater itself have survived with all their vegetation. Exploring these areas however has met with limited success due to casualties among the research groups. These surviving areas have long been considered to be places best avoided by locals.

Following this calamity was a mass exodus away from the newly formed islands; most people emigrated to the Forest League though some did emigrate to the Scarlet League. At first both leagues were hesitant to accept the refuges as there was little concrete information on what had caused the devastation of the continent. Ultimately neither league had much of a choice as the flood of refugees simply overwhelmed their security forces and forced the issue. In the end the population of the Orange Islands dropped to a low of 178,000 humans, 271,000 tame pokegirls, and an estimated 500,000 feral pokegirls.

C. Dark Times (20-150 A.S.)

What Sukebe's war hadn't managed to do the Eva Advent finished. With the population almost wiped out, what little had survived of the infrastructure destroyed, and no nearby neighbors capable of providing aid the last remaining pre-Sukebe country collapsed.

The Advent and subsequent fracturing of the continent had severed long range communications across the league and cut all long distance travel routes. Those that had survived the Advent found themselves cut off from the rest of the country and world. Most small towns simply ceased to exist, either from feral attacks, mass emigration, or for reasons still not explained. The few people that remained lived mostly in the large coastal cities that had survived the war, but even those nearly became ghost towns as populations dropped.

In Sydney however a small group began trying to change things. Led by a former city councilman by the name of Charles Danford this group created The Provisional Government of Sydney (PGS). Assuming power in 26 A.S. the PGS quickly began to amass the support of the fledgling tamer population of the area. Though the profession had yet to be formalized there was a significant population of people who had dedicated themselves to pokegirl control. Backed by these tamers and the considerable muscle of their pokegirls Danford's group quickly gained control of all of Sydney and the surrounding countryside.

The PGS immediately began a series of projects aimed to secure as high a standard of living as possible for the remaining citizens of Sydney. A power-plant was brought on-line using natural gas from local wells, water purification plants were restored, and a police department was reinstated. By 33 A.S. the city of Sydney was once again functioning, though much smaller than before.

The PGS was not content with governing only Sydney however and they immediately began to incorporate other enclaves nearby, occasionally over the protests of the citizens. By 40 A.S. the PGS was in control of the whole of the island Sydney was located upon.

In 42 A.S. the PGS initiated an exploration mission to map the east coast of the islands and report back to them. As a direct result of this mission Sydney was able to establish contact with cities such as Tanbra, Blissen, Sackay, and Queenstown. The discovery of such a large surviving population was not a surprise to the survivors in Sydney, boats from other areas occasionally made port, but never before has such a comprehensive and detailed picture been assembled.

In 43 A.S. the PGS began to expand again, establishing close ties with similar provisional governments in Queenstown, Tangerine, and Sackay. Additionally the PGS assumed responsibility for the administration of several coastal fishing villages on Lewgong island. Blissen, lacking a strong governmental body almost immediately requested PGS assistance with setting up a more effective government. The PGS was happy to oblige. The government established with the PGS' help was much more effective, but also hand picked by the PGS. In 45 A.S. the PGS was ready to turn Blissen back over to the city's new ruling body only to be requested to stay. Blissen became the first major city to join the PGS. Publicly the PGS only sought closer ties with these cities for mutual benefit. Privately the PGS was securing support among the locals and their leadership. In 47 A.S. the population of Tangerine elected a new ruling council, five of the seven candidates elected were PGS supporters. By 49 A.S. control of Tangerine and the surrounding area was formally seceded to the PGS. During the period of 47 A.S. to 49 A.S. both Sackay and Queenstown also held elections and likewise elected a majority of PGS supporters. Queenstown officially joined the PGS in 52 A.S. and Sackay in 54 A.S.

All was not quiet however. The residents of Sackay soon began to voice their protests against the turn over of power to the PGS. Demonstrations in the city center soon became riots and riots became open revolution. The recently elected government officials were either run out of town or hung. In response to this escalating violence the PGS mobilized their newly created Defense Force for the first time. Made up of loyal tamers the PGSDF moved quickly to surround Sackay. Strike forces began to probe the city, targeting known leaders of the insurgency and eliminating them. Two months after the siege began the PGSDF moved into the city proper. The fighting lasted for two weeks as insurgency tamers tried to fight off the PGSDF but found themselves outnumbered and cornered. The next five years brought only martial law to Sackay as the PGS solidified its control of the city.

The next twenty years brought more of the same to the islands. The PGS continued to solidify control of the east coast, expanding outward from the cities under its control, assuming control and not always peacefully, from the local populace. As 100 A.S. approached the PGS found itself in possession of everything from Welltorn in the south to Neipa in the north and to the Sea of Dirac in the west. The majority of the east coast was under their control. With the centennial of the Great War's end approaching the PGS initiated a significant number of changes.

During the centennial celebration the PGS formally declared the name of the islands to be the Orange Islands, the color chosen because of the primarily orange flag of the PGS. The PGS also renamed itself the Orange Island's Provisional Government (OIPG). A series of building programs were also started.

The destruction of the islands transportation and communication structure had left much of the islands isolated from one another with the only reliable communication and transportation being by boat up and down the coast. While relatively reliable it was not fast and the OIPG was beginning to find their resources stretched with administering such a large area. Local magistrates had to be given tremendous leeway to manage their canton's as the central government had no way to quickly communicate with them.

The first large construction project was a series of radio stations and repeater stations up and down the coast. Some ham radio operators had been continuing to operate since the Great War and were often used by the government for rapid transmission of messages but these operators were amateurs operating on dilapidated sets. The OIPG needed something more concrete, reliable, interconnected, and under their control. The national radio system was established to give the OIPG a quick and secure method to communicate with their more far flung holdings that they would not have to share with other users. The radio system went up quickly, only taking four years to build all the needed radio stations and repeaters. In 103 A.S. the OIPG in Sydney began to have regular daily communication with Queenstown.

The second large construction project was highway 1. A simple two lane paved road, the highway was remarkable in that it did not end at the beaches, but instead a series of causeways were built to allow the highway to run uninterrupted from one end of OIPG territory to the other. Starting in Neipa, going through Queenstown, Sackay, crossing the straight of Yeppoon over to Lewgong island, down through Blissen to Tangerine and finally crossing the Canberra straight to end in Bendit. The causeways that connected the islands crossed the shallow straights of Yeppoon and Canberra by hopping from island to island as they made their way over the straights. Even though work on the highway was begun in 101 A.S. at multiple points, the entire run was not completed until 115 A.S. when the final causeway section over the Canberra straight was finished and opened.

Until 110 A.S. pokegirl management was one of the duties of the OIPG government proper. However in 110 A.S. the OIPG founded the National Pokegirl Management Agency or NPMA. Given authority over all issues relating to pokegirls the NPMA was swift to begin exercising its power. Working closely with the military the NPMA moved quickly to begin establishing formalized licensing and training of prospective tamers and pet owners. The first tamer training camp was established at Camp Blackstride in 111 A.S. One of the first significant actions of the NPMA was to assign retired tamers to patrol sections of highway 1 in their areas, securing the new transit route for peaceful use.

By 115 A.S. the OIPG had firmly established its grip over the eastern Orange Islands and began to cast its gaze to the west. Subsequent expeditions had confirmed that there was a substantial population living in the non-OIPG controlled portions of the Orange Islands.

By late 116 A.S. the OIPG began to focus its efforts on expanding its zone of control deeper into the central and western Orange Islands. Using many of the methods employed to secure control of the eastern islands the OIPG began forming alliances with the towns, villages, cities, and city-states that had cropped up throughout the islands. Through careful political manipulation, coercion, and occasionally outright force the OIPG was able to increase its border to encompass the northern arc of the Orange Islands as far west as Efferson and as far west in the southern arc as Wifella by 139 A.S.

In 139 A.S. the OIPG ran into the first significant resistance to its expansion since its formation over a hundred years earlier. In the south west was a city-state formed around the surviving city of Perth controlled the entire island of Kalbarri and in the north west was a coalition of cities based around the small city-state of Eve's Cleft.

Neither government was in need of the OIPG's help denying them a classic route of entry they had used with smaller, less capable groups. Using the stability and resources of the OIPG to entice these states into cooperation. Also, both governments were too large and well organized to respond to the OIPG's traditional bullying tactics where their diplomacy failed. The Perth city-state and the northern coalition did not see eye to eye on a great many issues and consequently gave one another a great deal of leeway, border wise, between them. Uluru Island was not officially claimed by either party, and in 142 A.S. the OIPG did claim it, establishing the city of Loverton on its northern shores only a few dozen kilometers from the souther border of the northern coalition.

The three parties in control of the remains of the continent settled into an uneasy, and unspoken truce. In the north the OIPG advanced as far as it could up to the shores of the Ayer's straight. The firm boundaries of the northern coalition extended up to the shores on the west side of the straight preventing the OIPG from gaining a foot hold there. In the south the OIPG and Perth city-state found themselves in a usually low key but intense struggle for the land of the Jackson Islands between the main island of Kalbarri and the OIPG territories around Wifella. The Perthan city-state had no formal claims to the land but did have defense treaties with some of the cities in the area as well as a system of forts. Where there were no forts or no treaty cities the OIPG moved in to fill the void, often bringing themselves into conflict with the Perthan forces nearby. For the next two decades most of the conflict between the two powers would be handled by overworked diplomats.

D. Conflict (160-170 A.S.)

On June 17th, 161 A.S. prospectors on Uluru island discovered what would become known as the Loverton seam. Located in the hills southeast of Loverton the seam is a area rich in fire stones, one of the richest and certainly the largest ever discovered. The OIPG appeared to attempt to keep the information secret but within a month it became general knowledge.

Almost immediately the Perthan city-state laid claim to the find, declaring that they had ownership of Uluru island due to the establishment of a small number of forts and a fishing village that had been abandoned just before the turn of the century. The OIPG naturally disputed this claim, announcing their intention to develop the island specifically for the exploitation of the evolution stone deposit. In response the Perthans declared that they would allow no such exploitation of what they considered to be their natural resources. When the OIPG pressed its claim and began to ship in miners and mining equipment the Perthans responded with a naval blockade of Uluru island in September of 161 A.S.

The OIPG's initial response to the blockade was uncharacteristically muted, aside from a strongly worded declaration that interference with OIPG activities on OIPG soil would not be tolerated little direct action was taken. The OIPG navy made a few half hearted attempts to run the blockade and deliver supplies but all were turned back. After several weeks of blockade the city of Loverton appealed to local delegates of the northern coalition, specifically ones from the city state of Karljini, for aid and medical supplies for the "suffering" population.

After several weeks of negotiation the city-state of Karljini decided to act, bypassing the blockade and landing several freighters of food and relief supplies on the coast in exchange for a load of fire stones from the Loverton seam. For a month this clandestine aid flowed until the Perthan fleet was tipped off to the blockade running. While officially the identity of the tipster is still unknown it is widely accepted by historical authorities that it was an OIPG tamer operating under official direction.

The Perthan fleet moved quickly, monitoring a group of cargo ships delivering their cargo, then intercepting them on their return trip and finding their fire stone pay off. Enraged by this discovery and unwilling to listen to pleas of neutrality on the part of the Karljini captains in light of the payment for "humanitarian" supplies the commander of the Perthan fleet moved quickly. He dispatched a squadron of ships to blockade the capital city of Karljini's port and then landed a contingent of Perthan marines to secure the city.

The Perthan commander's rash action precipitated a near total collapse of the northern coalition. Some of the members of the coalition supported the Perthans, others pressed for a diplomatic end to the confrontation, still others sided with Karljini and called for the coalition to immediately petition the OIPG for assistance. While debate still raged in the coalition's parliament a delegation from Karljini approached the OIPG for assistance in evicting the Perthan invaders.

It had been the opening the OIPG had been waiting for. Tamers and marines who had been secretly stationed on Uluru island months before the fire stone deposit discovery had been made public mobilized. A large contingent of OIPG vessels deployed from Seacleft and broke through the blockade. They picked up prepositioned forces from Uluru island and quickly landed them just outside of Karljini. In two quick days of fighting the OIPG forces had ousted the Perthans from the city.

The political after effects of the battle were far more severe than the fighting had ever been. Within a week of Perthan ousting the northern coalition completely collapsed. Members like Karljini and Marble in the east sided with the OIPG, some petitioning for immediate membership, others only requesting assistance. In the west cities like Tonsiley and Feliano sought alliances with the Perthans. The divide wasn't perfectly geographical however, in the east Meeka declared its support of Perth and in the west Nipson, a potential overseas port for fire stone exportation, extolled their support of the OIPG. Within a month the northern coalition was reduced to Eve's Cleft, Motora, Denvale, Randy and Hamme as the OIPG and Perthans moved quickly to incorporate any potential coalition supporters.

The collapse of the northern coalition only brought more Perthan and OIPG forces into direct contact with one another. It was inevitable that in this environment of political instability and high tensions that the two sides would eventually come to blows.

In March of 163 A.S. the city of Denvale was suffering under a political fracturing. The fragile understanding between opposing political parties was swept out in a general election. The newly elected leaders of the city came quickly to blows over many issues the main of which was the question of whether to stay with the flagging coalition or to join one of the other factions. Unbeknown to any of the three sides they all sent out envoys to their preferred sides in the conflict. Being closest to Denvale the OIPG was happy to send forces to Denvale to help secure it for the OIPG and to begin the process of bringing it into the fold. Perthan forces were not far behind, arriving three days later. OIPG forces were unwilling to leave the city, citing the various government officials of Denvale who had invited them in. The Perthan's likewise could produce their own invitations to the city. Only hours after the Perthan forces arrived in the area a diplomatic delegation from the northern coalition arrived. The northern coalition convoy arrived at a checkpoint outside the city and were stopped by OIPG forces. Just like the Perthans the envoys could produce evidence that they too had been invited. Not wanting to be left out of the discussion a Perthan contingent made their way to the checkpoint.

Tensions on all sides were high and to a degree it was inevitable that someone would jump the gun. It remains unclear as to who attacked first, but shortly after all three parties came together they were engaged in combat. The OIPG and Perthans had sent their militaries to Denvale, the coalition delegation had come with little more than a few personal bodyguards. The exchange between the OIPG and Perthan contingents left both battered, but it left the coalition diplomats decimated. The Perthans who had taken over the checkpoint tended their wounds and helped them to begin heading home. The next day the Perthans began an all out assault on the city. The fighting in Denvale dragged on for weeks as the Perthans pushed the OIPG out of over three quarters but were unable to dislodge them the last foothold in the city. Seeking to get some relief for their trapped forces the OIPG launched a spoiling attack on the city of Port Mosley, the source of the Denvale contingents supplies.

The attack on Port Mosley signaled the outbreak of full scale war between the two factions. An attack on a previously undisputed city opened the floodgates of war. In the north both sides launched themselves at one another, the fighting often spilling over into coalition territory with little regard. In the south things were much quieter as both sides had been focusing on the north. However as time went on and the war in the north showed little sign of resolution in spite of the OIPG's superior numbers and the OIPG prepared to open a second front with the hopes that with their attention split the Perthans would be unable to amass enough forces to repel them on two fronts at once.

In a shocking move the OIPG gathered a significant force in the south and launched an amphibious invasion of the city of Esper in July of 164 A.S. By passing the main southern line of resistance the strike unbalanced the Perthan forces completely. Coordinated with a simultaneous push on the previous southern front and in the north the OIPG offensive destabilized the Perthan military enough to begin to roll it back on all fronts. By February of 165 A.S. the Perthan forces had been forced back to the island of Kalbarri. On December 9th, 165 A.S. the OIPG marched into Perth and accepted the city-state's formal surrender.

What little remained of the northern coalition of independent city-states now found themselves sharing the Orange Islands with a militarized and aggressive OIPG. Political pressure began to be applied almost immediately by the OIPG. Finding themselves outnumbered and with no one to turn to what was left of the northern coalition began to dissolve, each independent city seceding and applying for membership in the OIPG until the last remnant, the city of Eve's Cleft, formally applied for membership in March of 167 A.S.

The entirety of the Orange Islands now belonged to the OIPG.

E. Renaissance (170-250 A.S.)

With the removal of potential threats from without the OIPG began to cast its gaze inward upon itself. In 170 A.S. the OIPG moved to create a unifying theme for their recently expanded country. Taking the name of the Islands the OIPG renamed itself the Orange League.

With the external threats to the Orange League (OL) dealt with for the moment the OL turned its attention inward. Since its formation the OL has invested heavily in the rebuilding and improvement of the league as a whole. One of the first major projects was to lengthen highway one, to create a road that would encircle the whole of the league. Patrolled regularly and well maintained it would allow travelers a safe land route to almost any point in the league. Work on this super highway, recently increased to four lanes along its original route, began in January of 171 A.S. and would continue on for the next thirty years.

The OL also expanded the radio network connecting the newly integrated western provinces to the remainder of the OL. The network continued to exist primarily for private government use though some public use began to open up.

Additionally the League began a program of school and college building, seeking to formalize the training of its best and brightest. To help ensure that the most worthy applicants made it to college the OL instituted a program to underwrite the full costs of attendance to these colleges for those graduating from grade school with high marks and who could maintain them in college. The League's first universities focus primarily upon medicine and engineering, a trend which has continued to this day with thirty five percent of the League's higher level schools focusing on medicine and forty five percent on engineering.

Numerous power projects were undertaken in this time. Many wind, solar, tidal and natural gas power plants were constructed in this time making electricity a common thing in the league with most towns have access to it almost seventy percent of the time and many of the major cities being able to keep the lights on all the time.

Numerous exploration and surveying missions were funded resulting in the most surprising finds, the fire stone deposits of Uluru island were not alone, numerous other rich seams of evolution stones were discovered across the islands. The discovery of numerous deposits in the early years of the second century A.S. initiated the so called "Stone Rush," as numerous prospectors from across the League and even other Leagues began to aggressively stake claims upon the seams.

For a time this rush flooded the markets of the Orange League with evolution stones, driving prices down. Privately funded prospectors from the Forest, Johto, Edo, and even Sunshine Leagues took advantage of this situation, buying out smaller outfits as the falling price of evolution stones plummeted and made their mining unprofitable, as well as buying up large numbers of stones on the open market. The bounty of their operation was sent off shore, exported back to other Leagues. Suspicions began to rise that these groups might have closer ties to their respective governments than was acknowledged though nothing was ever proven. This situation began to create a great deal of resentment as the exported stones commanded far greater prices than the local markets did and the large sums of money the other Leagues began to reap from the Orange League's natural bounty began to cause hard feelings. The foreign mining concerns began to find the locals far less amiable to their advances and buyout offers. By late 212 A.S. the foreign miners found themselves unable to purchase new mining areas and with local populations increasingly hostile to their presence.

In February of 213 A.S. the East Orange Trading Company, a Forest League funded mining operation, attempted to purchase a failing mining outfit that was operating in the Two Backs moon stone seam in the Ibren province near Koola. The mining camp refused to sell their claim to the EOTC, another in a long string of rebuffed offers for various local claims. The owners of the camp even went to the extreme of using their pokegirls to force the EOTC men off their property. That night the camp was attacked by unknown assailants resulting in the death of most of the men working at the camp though there were three survivors. Investigations by the local authorities were unable to uncover the culprits. With the owner of the claim dead and no immediate next of kin to claim his property ownership reverted to the OL and the local magistrate put the claim up for auction. The claim was purchased by the EOTC who easily outbid all other competition. Fueled by reports of the camp survivors that the EOTC had tried to purchase the claim the very day before the attack the local citizenry immediately began to protest the award of the claim but lacking any hard evidence there was nothing the magistrate could legally do.

Emboldened perhaps by the OL's preference to allow the citizenry to police themselves the locals began to take matters into their own hands. Shops began to refuse to sell to EOTC workers, businesses stopped working with them. This led to hardship on the EOTC's part which led to increased tensions between the miners and the locals. By the middle of April 213 A.S. the situation reached the boiling point. What began as a simple bar fight ended two days later with a quarter of the city of Koola in flames as foreign miners and locals turned a bar brawl into a riot and finally into an open battle.

The violence in Koola between foreign miners and locals quickly spread across the Orange League. Local law enforcement found itself increasingly strained to contain the violence and local tamers were often reluctant to intervene in the dangerous situations. With little other recourse the League began to issue bounties on the heads of local trouble makers on both sides of the fighting, emphasizing a desire to stabilize the situation through whatever means necessary by making the bounties "Dead or Alive."

Within a month much of the violence had settled out though occasional flare ups did break out and require attention. The short lived "Stone Wars," or "Stone Riots" as they were called had two long lasting effects on the Orange League.

The first was the establishment and mainstream introduction of the bounty system. Combined with the self policing policies of the OL, putting out bounties and using tamers or just motivated citizens to capture criminals proved to be a highly successful system for the Orange League. Since only the successful party had to be paid, and no payment was given out without a criminal in hand most police departments found it more economical to post bounties on wanted criminals rather than hunt them down themselves. In September of 215 A.S. the proliferation of bounties, and the burgeoning of professional bounty hunters led to these bounty hunters banding together into an informal association. Official recognition of this group soon followed and the Bounty Hunter's Guild has enjoyed a close working relationship with the OL government ever since.

Even more drastically the Stone Riots led the OL to take extreme measures in regards to the exploitation of these resources. On March 20th, 214 A.S. the Evolution Stone Mining Nationalization Act was voted into law over the very loud protests of both the foreign and domestic miners. The ESMNA provided for the involuntary buyout of all domestically claimed evolution stone mines in excess of five kilograms of production yearly. While the buyout prices were relatively reasonable the foreign miners were not treated as kindly. Given only a pittance for their property concerns like the EOTC were essentially thrown out of the Orange League, often without even being allowed to ship out their mining equipment.

After nationalizing the mines the Orange League began a program of leasing mining rights to the evolution stone deposits. Down payments on even small claims were in the hundreds of thousands of credits which helped to ensure that most claims were snapped up by large corporations or conglomerates, entities the OL government felt would be easier to monitor and control. The terms of the leases included provisions of maximum withdrawal rates, who the stones could be sold too, taxes on stone sales, and a multitude of other subjects including permanent OLG officials on site to monitor operations. In spite of how restrictive the leasing terms were and how costly the rights to a lease could be several large corporations formed almost overnight.

The West Orange Trading Company was formed by a conglomeration of smaller mine owners that were bought out in the initial nationalization. The Orange League Stone Corporation or O.L. Stone was financed almost entirely by the fortune of J.P. Carnegie who would control the company with an iron fist until his death in 253 A.S. Finally the DeBeers company was a privately financed venture. While numerous smaller companies also obtained leases and began mining operations the WOTC, O.L. Stone, and DeBeers controlled 75% of the evolution stone production in the Orange League.

There were some initial protests over the government taking such direct control of a private industry, especially the debt the government accrued in the buyout of the previous owners. Almost all protest stopped as the government quickly paid down all its debts with the proceeds of the initial lease purchases and then was able to eliminate all national and provincial income taxes over the next decade with the lucrative tax proceeds of the evolution stone business.

With large amounts of money accruing from the evolution stone mines the OL was able to fund dramatic increases in public works projects like roads and power plants along with an expansion of the education system to provide free basic public education as well as a well funded post graduate system of colleges and universities.

F. Modern Times (250 A.S.-Present)

The year 250 A.S. marked a turning point in the Orange League. Long a forgotten corner of the world the discovery of the evolution stone deposits thrust the League back onto the world stage. Long a rather reclusive nation more concerned with the happenings inside its borders than without the Orange League suddenly found itself beset on all sides by other Leagues seeking to engenders their favor. Additionally, the first hints of Mao's growing rebellion reached the Orange League prompting concern of its spread to the League. Overnight the Orange League became very concerned with the actions of neighboring leagues and desired to make some formal, permanent contact with them. The OL's long standing ally in the Scarlet League provided some guidance on how to handle the various Leagues and how best to negotiate with them.

The Orange League's diplomats proved to be quick studies and in 250 A.S. the first foreign ambassador in the League's history, Marcus Israel, began a two year long trip around the Pacific basin to establish consulates in the Leagues around the Pacific Rim. His trip proved more beneficial than any had anticipated and the establishment of consulates put the Orange League back in touch with the rest of the world on a regular basis. A little over two hundred years of semi-self imposed isolationism had left the rest of the world unsure of how to greet the Orange League's re-emergence onto the world stage.

Since that time the Orange League has begun to carefully improve relations with a select few other Leagues. The League avoids all but the most basic of diplomatic functions with others. Rather than approach everyone with open arms the League has not shaken its isolationist tendencies, avoiding becoming to embroiled with Leagues the OL believes to be courting dangerous paths both economically and politically.

Domestically the Orange League has been enjoying a period of peace and prosperity the likes of which it has never seen before. Buoyed by a constant stream of medical break throughs and the output of the evolution stone mines the Orange League's economy has grown steadily for over three decades. The average education of the population is on the rise and the average life span in the League exceeds most others.

All has not been well as the last three decades have also seen the rise of political division within the League. There is a strong movement rising in the populace for the Orange League to take what they see as its "rightful place" in the world as an economic and political leader. The desire is for the Orange League to use its economic muscle to influence the other governments of the Pacific Rim. There is also a strong backlash against this movement as well. The opposition seeking to limit contact with the other Leagues out of concern that their liberal tendencies could "infect" the League and that the OL could get sucked into events that it has no need to be involved in. Both sides have clashed regularly with neither being able to obtain any kind of meaningful majority.

In spite of this political unrest the Orange League has grown and improved itself greatly over the last three hundred years and the Orange League is poised to greet the third century A.S. with a strong and steady hand.

II. Geography/Climate

A. General

The Orange Islands are divided into five provinces.

In the north east and east is the Ibren province. Ibren is the third largest province by land area and the largest by population, the Sanctuary Mountains shielded many cities on the provinces east coast from the calamity. The capital of the province is Queenstown, located on the northern tip of the Sanctuary Mountains peninsula. The capital of the Orange League is also here, the pre-Sukebe city of Sydney. The province is covered primarily in deciduous forests to the east of the Sanctuary Mountains and grasslands to the west of them. Temperatures in the Ibren province range from thirty four degrees Celsius in the summer to ten degrees Celsius in the winter. Ibren is considered a wet province as it receives an average of sixty two inches of rain a year.

The Draaga province is located in the north. This is the second largest province in terms of both size and population. The provincial capital of Darwin is located on the central northern coast of the province's largest island. Also worth noting is the small town of Trella, home to one of the League's five universities. The primary vegetation of the province is tropical forests near the coasts and grasslands to the interior. Temperatures range from thirty five degrees in the summer to 12 degrees in the winter and annual rainfall averages thirty five inches.

The Khar-Toba province is the largest by land and occupies almost all of the western islands. In spite of its size the province is the second smallest by population owing to the level of destruction this area received in the Advent and the destructive unification war. The capital is Eve's Cleft and is located in the northwestern portion of the province. The primary vegetation of this province is savannah in the interior trending towards deciduous forests near the coast. Temperatures range from thirty seven degrees in the summer to 9 degrees in the winter with an average rainfall of twenty three inches.

Setta province is in the south and is the smallest by population. Setta is sparsely populated, both due to it's primarily desert environment and the fact that the population of the area was completely wiped out due to proximity to the blast. The capital of the province is Ceduna and is near the western border with Basa province. Temperatures range from thirty nine degrees in the summer to three degrees in the winter with an average rainfall of twelve inches, mostly along the coast.

Basa province is located in the southwest area of the islands. Third largest by population Basa is also the fastest growing province. The capital is the pre-Sukebe city of Perth and is located at the southwestern point of the islands. The coastline is primarily tropical forests trending towards grasslands in the interior. Temperatures range from 32 degrees in the summer to 15 degrees in the winter with an average rainfall of twenty six inches. Basa's milder climate is a significant factor in its growth.

The Sea of Dirac was the name given to the body of water formed from the 20 A.S. blast. The blast in 20 A.S. was sufficiently powerful that the crater it created exposed the Earth's mantle for a short time, stripping away kilometers of solid rock down to the plasticized mantle. The in rushing waters had met this exposed mantle and begun to cool it. Within a few days of the blast the nearly twenty kilometer deep crater had begun to fill, the upper exposed layers of the mantle hardening and cooling enough to let the waters not flash to steam. By the time the crater had finished filling, world sea levels had dropped twenty one centimeters.

Today the Sea of Dirac is a calm, almost placid body of water. Insulated from the storms of the sea by the Orange Islands, and warmed from below the Sea is at times both a reminder of destruction and a source of sustenance for the Islands.

Deep soundings by research crews have turned up some interesting details about the sea bed. The once twenty kilometer deep crater is today only nine kilometers deep, the planets mantle having built the crust back up under the sea. However the bottom of the sea is not solid rock. Rather it is a honeycomb of tunnels and caves plunging deep into through the crust. While it has been impossible to directly explore this warren due to the depths, it is a commonly held theory in the scientific community that this honeycombing extends down to within a few kilometers of the mantle, where the crust of the earth finally returns to a truly solid state. These tunnels give pathways for the tremendous heat of the planet's core to warm the Sea above.

The Sea of Dirac's most direct influence on the Orange Islands is as a heat sink. Due to being warmed from below the sea maintains a constant temperature all year round, moderating the climate of the islands. Orange League winters are mild, rarely dipping to the freezing point, and the summers stay pleasant. The sea itself teams with life in its upper layers and fishing is a common industry in the towns that surround it.

B. Cities

1. Ibren Province
a. Sydney - Population 466,000
The pre-Sukebe city of Sydney is the capital of the Orange League. Sitting on the southern tip of Brisbane island on the northern edge of Canberra straight the city is deeply tied to the sea. Following the Advent the population of Sydney was as low as 31,000 for a time but thanks to the efforts of Charles Danford and the PGS the city, and the Orange Islands were saved. Since those dark days the city has flourished, growing in population by over 1,000%. Sydney is famed for its pre-Sukebe architecture, preserved initially as a means of survival the buildings of the city have remained largely intact, renovated inside from time to time to better suit the needs of its current residents but kept much as they were prior to the Great War. The city is also dotted with museums, many showcasing treasures from before the Great War but with just as many displaying more modern works. The city has several parks including Hyde and Wynyard Parks from before the war and Danford park from after it. Located to the north of the city on a sandstone plateau is the Hills district, an upper-class neighborhood mostly populated by pure-blood politicians and others. While Sydney is a major port of call and fishing center most of these industries are located to the south of the city center and great care was taken to segregate them from the more metropolitan areas. In addition to being a seat of government and shipping Sydney is the banking capital of the Orange League. Sydney is home to three universities all pre-Sukebe institutions revitalized during the Orange League's expansion of the school system. The University of Sydney is primarily an architectural and engineering school with an average enrollment of 9,000 students. The University of Notre Dame Australia is a business and finance school with an average enrollment of 5,000 students. The University of Wollongong is a medical school with an average enrollment of 10,000 students.

b. Queenstown - Population 142,000
Queenstown was founded in 23 A.S. by a group of survivors of the Eva Advent. Established at the mouth of the Gilbert River in the Einasleigh delta Queenstown functioned as a hub between the north east portion of the Orange Islands and the rest of the world. The Gilbert river allowed for easy travel from the coast to the foot of the Sanctuary Mountains and farther south. This situation let to steady growth in the city and significant influence in the events of the area. When the PGS took over and began to expand Queenstown was named capital of the new Ibren province. Queenstown's economy was largely built upon trade until the discovery of the evolution stone mines. With its strategic position the city quickly established itself as the evolution stone capital of the league and to some degree the world. Over seventy percent of all the evolution stones leaving the league pass through the docks of Queenstown. The city is not without its flaws, its strategic position on the river delta leads to hot and extremely muggy summers and the soil along the river is not particularly fertile requiring the city to have large shipments of grain imported from other points in the league.

2. Draaga Province
a. Darwin - Population 101,000
The pre-Sukebe city of Darwin was nearly wiped out by feral attacks during the Great War and was almost deserted at the time of the Advent. While the land itself didn't fragment around Darwin it did shake as the Advent caused an estimated magnitude ten point seven earthquake to shake the city to its foundations. Darwin didn't stay dead long however as survivors of the Advent converged on it in the aftermath and used the rubble of the city to help rebuild. The most impressive aspect of this rebuilding was the wall constructed around the settlement. An average of fourteen meters high and six thick the wall was built to protect the city from feral attacks and did for quite some time, encircling the five square kilometer community and protecting it from harm. This wall still stands today and the area inside is referred to as old town, a primarily residential area with affluent residents. The wall itself is now considered to be an archaeological treasure as it was constructed entirely of the rubble of the destroyed city and is now studied intensely, often by students from Darwin College, a social studies and historical college with a typical enrollment of 2,000. Darwin has a bustling agricultural business as the surrounding grasslands make prime cropland. Several large livestock ranches also exist near Darwin, supplying the wealthy of the Orange League with real meat. The agricultural industry of the Draaga province and the city of Darwin were both prime lobbyists in the effort to have a rail system constructed for the league.

3. Khar-Toba Province
a. Eve's Cleft - Population 179,000
The final city-state to join the OIPG was built up around the city of Eve's Cleft. Founded by a group of high minded utopiasts seeing the Great War and then Advent as a cleaning to the slate and a chance to start over, Eve's Cleft is a far less metropolitan city than most. Built in an area of rolling hills overlooking Roebuck Bay the early city's ordnances prevented any major construction or buildings over three stories so the ever growing population was forced to expand outward. This outward expansion resulted in a fragmenting of the city into a network of boroughs, each one acting as its own city. Eve's Cleft's boroughs are each almost independent of one another, having their own commercial and residential areas, police forces, and even utilities. Most citizens of Eve's Cleft identify more with their home borough than with the city itself. The utopian ideals of the city's founders continued to influence its growth long after they had passed. In the mid third century a growing group of citizens began to push for a more centralized city, uniting the boroughs into a single more cohesive city. This movement has gained some strength but even with the backing of a like minded city government the individual boroughs have resisted. A burgeoning commercial sector built around the textile industry has helped to begin to develop a city center and an enlargement of the port but zoning laws still prohibit buildings larger than five stories or fifteen thousand square meters. Local laws prohibit the use of motorized vehicles outside of a few designated arteries in and out of the city and most locals move about by way of pokegirl power.

b. Chiurgeon - Population 75,000
Until 237 A.S. the city of Chiurgeon was a relatively small town on the west coast of the Orange League. Things began to change however when the city leadership sought to attract high tech businesses to the town and advertised a series of tax breaks. These tax breaks worked and the Pfizer company built a small research lab there. The city continued its tax breaks and began to agressively market itself. More high tech labratories for the medical industry began to crop up in the city and in 249 A.S. the Pfizer company built its new headquarters in the town. Since that time the city has boomed, drawing in more and more medical research facilities eager to take part in the developing brain trust. Today the city of Chiurgeon has one of the highest standards of living in the league. The city has a single college, the New England Medical Center. A combination college and hospital the NEMC has an average enrollment of 12,000 students.

4. Setta Province
a. Ceduna - Population 62,000
Ceduna owes its existence to the mineral rich lands of the southern Orange Islands. Iron, Aluminum, copper, titanium, germanium, and evolution stones are all commonly found in the Setta province and are the only reason the province is populated even as sparely as it is. Ceduna benefited from being situated on a deep water bay that made for an excellent port and having rich bauxite deposits only a few kilometers inland. This positioning led to rapid growth as the city was used as a staging point for many expeditions farther inland to explore the mineral rich lands as well as a transfer point for the military moving troops from the east to the southwest. Slowly various entertainment industries began to overtake the local bauxite mines as the primary focus of the city's economy. Keeping other miners happy, fed, and rested became the primary industry of the town. By 240 A.S. Ceduna was the largest city in Setta province. The entertainment industry has maintained a foothold in modern Ceduna but the exportaion of the provinces mineral wealth has once again become the city's biggest industry.

5. Basa Province
a. Perth - Population 293,000
Called by some to be the Sydney of the west, the city of Perth survived the Advent in much the same manner as Sydney. The government of Perth was almost as expansionist as the PGS was but more cautious resulting in their slower expansion and likely contributing to their eventual defeat. In August of 164 A.S. a raid by OIPG forces armed with fire type pokegirls resulted in a tremendous fire that consumed a large section of the southern portion of the city. While most of the area was rebuilt there are several land mark houses that were left in their burned condition, preserved as monuments to the war. While almost a century and a half of time has healed most old wounds it is still not uncommon to hear the phrase, "Damn Easties," spoken in Perth. Since the war the city of Perth has become one of the largest ports in the Orange League and the primary hub between the OL and the Scarlet League. This location makes the city a center of evolution stone trading and pokegirl importation leading to a thriving economy. The city has a single university, the University of Perth, located on the shoreline to the southeast of the city's main port. The college has a normal enrollment of 4,000 students and focuses on business primarily. The UoP has obtained a bit of a sordid reputation as a "party school," though the faculty and alumni insist that the education it provides is first rate.

b. Esper - Population 98,000
"Anything you want you can have in Esper, if you have the credits," or so goes one variation of the city's unoffical motto. Originally a fishing village founded around 56 A.S. the small town of Esper did not stay that way for long. Coastal traffic and the support of it found itself becoming the city's main industry but unlike Ceduna that flirted with its wild side for a half century the city of Esper has reveled in it. Under Perthan rule the city was the only city in the nation to allow legal gambling. The city leaders, really the heads of the seven pureblood families that owned most of Esper, went to great lengths to ensure gambling remained legal in Esper. Using gambling as a foundation these ruling familes began to build Esper up as a resort destination. Hotels, beach side resorts, and casinos began to grow up as the second centruy went on. Not even the war with the OIPG and Esper's invasion were able to dampen the city's spirits, at least until the end of the second century. As the city grew ever greater amounts of money were at stake with each hotel or casino. The pureblood houses that controled the city had managed to live for over a century in relative peace until 198 A.S. In that year several of the pureblood houses lost their patriachs and new leaders took over. Not as willing to share the power and wealth as their predecessors the houses began to fued. First with cut-throat business deals and eventually with their fists. By 202 A.S. they escalated to murder and extortion. A dark time had begun in Esper's history. For the next decade the houses waged war on one another. The bloodshed drew unseemly elements to the city like flies. Narcotics, organized crime, and corruption ran rampant. In 214 A.S. the federal govnerment took notice and assigned Marshal Nell Tiosl to investigate. Marshal Tiosl far exceeded her mandate however. Her investigation lasted less than a month before she declared marshal law and began to use the league's new bounty system to its fullest. Over the next year and a half the Marshall suffered several attacks on person but by 216 A.S. the city of Esper was peaceful. Once the dust settled the city could take stock of itself. Two ruling houses were wiped out and two more weakened to near inconsequentiality. The remaining three strong houses seemed to have grasped the point the Marshall was making and found ways to return to purely business competition. Officially Marshall Tiosl recieved commendations, a promotion, and praise for her deft handling of the situations but in private she was severly chastised for overstepping her bounds in almost every way imaginable. To day Esper is a much quieter place trying hard to leave behind a negative image. Family friendly hotels and resorts are the norm today but they almost all still contain casinos. The city also has a large redlight district and while city ordinances keep most of it closed before 8:00 PM after that it comes alive. Esper has a well deserved reputation for being able to satisfy any urge her visitors may have, no matter how outlandish it might be.

III.Government

A. National
The Orange League national government is broken into two portions, an executive and legislative branch.

The executive branch is the Orange League ruling council. The council is comprised of one councilor from each of the five provinces as well as a prime minister. In most affairs the council seeks consensus but when that is not a possibility things can be put to a vote. Each of the councilors has one vote and the prime minister has two. The prime minister is responsible for acting as a leader of the council and setting policy objectives.

The legislative branch is made up representatives from each province organized in a congress. The 100 representatives are apportioned out among the provinces according to population. The congress' responsibility is to act as a check upon the ruling council's authority by approving or disapproving the measures passed by them. If a measure is passed by a two thirds majority vote it becomes law. If it is voted down by a two thirds majority it does not. Measures that do not receive at least a two thirds yay or nay vote will be delayed an appropriate amount of time for reconsideration as to be determined by the head of congress but not for a time to exceed one month. A measure that is voted down by congress may be reintroduced by the ruling council after a one month probationary period. If a bill is voted down a second time by the congress the ruling council may force the measure into law with a unanimous vote on their part and a simple majority of congress' approval.

Both councilors and representatives of each province are elected by a simple majority in a popular vote. The Prime Minister is chosen by a simple majority of the ruling council. Each councilor and representative is elected for a term of five years and all provincial elections are held during the month of September. The Prime Minister is selected or confirmed with each change of provincial councilors.

Each province has a regional commander who reports to the provincial councilor. The regional commander is responsible for the administration of all the local depots in his province and the tamers that might be present at any time. If a situation arises that threatens the entire province the regional commander has the authority to authorize the call up of all tamers in the province.

Part of the Prime Minister's duties is to appoint a national commander from the ranks of the regional commanders if needed. National commanders serve until they die or retire from the post. The national commander is in charge of all tamers and tamer activities in the League and has the authority to mobilize all tamers in the League if need be.

The primary focus of the Orange League government is to ensure the security of the league and to promote the welfare of its inhabitants. The national government of the league has long held that the best way to ensure the welfare of the inhabitants is to minimize the intrusion of the government into their lives. Towards this goal the league imposes few laws and minimizes the areas of its citizens lives that it intrudes upon, including taxes. The League supports itself primarily through tariffs on exports and taxes imposed upon the evolution stone mines.

The Orange League's flag is the same one that Charles Danford used for the PGS, the flag of the pre-Sukebe nation Australia but with an Orange field instead of blue.

1. Political Parties
Torrey Party - The Torrey party is the newest political party of the Orange Islands. Technically a split off wing of the Whig party the Torrey party was officially incorporated in 274 A.S. The Torrey party has built upon a platform of tighter controls on all levels of Orange League life and an improvement in the treatment of pokegirls. The party has championed numerous attempts to increase local law enforcement numbers and the enforcement of standing laws as well as attempts to turn away from reliance upon the military and its tamers to enforce laws via the bounty system. They advocate improved oversight at all levels of the Orange League government. Pokegirl rights has been a significant secondary issue in the Torrey party. The party has gone to great lengths to increase enforcement of pokegirl protection laws as well as put forward legislation to dramatically increase oversight on the breeder system. The Torrey party's power base is largely in local and provincial governments of the Basa and Khar-Toba provinces. There have been only three Torrey provincial representatives, two from Basa and one from Khar-Toba, and no prime ministers since the party's formal conception.

Danford Party - The Danford party is the oldest political party in the Orange League and is named after its founder, Charles Danford who led the provisional government of the city of Sydney immediately following the 20 A.S. blast and who is credited with founding the government that would eventually grow to become the Orange League. The Danford party is built upon a strong conservative movement with a very hands off approach to local governance. The Danford party has long opposed attempts to increase the government's direct control of the citizens lives, believing that local communities can better govern themselves than can the national government. The party has opposed attempts to foster better relations with Leagues considered to be too 'radical' in their social stances, particularly on pokegirl rights. Officially the Danford party has no stance on pokegirl rights though voting records indicate that historically the party has focused on maintaining the status quo with few new laws enacted. The Danford party is strong in all levels of government with Ibren and Draaga provinces being significantly Danford. Since the split of the Whig party the Danford party's historic control of almost sixty percent of the electorate has enabled them to rule almost unopposed at a national level.

Whig Party - The Whig party was the second official political party of the Orange Islands. The Whig party has long championed a far stronger stance for the national government, with local and provincial governments having little emphasis in Whig plans, believing that solidarity of state was far more important than local variances in the law. The Whig party was until the middle of the second century A.S. very in line with the Danford party's stance on pokegirl rights. However beginning around 250 A.S. far more liberal members of the party began to crop up. Pushing for a normalization of relations with more liberal leagues and ever greater rights for pokegirls. This increasing liberalization of the party led to a significant split in the party in 272 A.S., with the more conservative portions of the party splitting off into the Torrey party. Since the split the Whig party has suffered a severe reversal of fortunes and where they once held sway over more than forty percent of the electorate. The Whig party's focus on the national government has cost it dearly as the Torrey party has managed to oust many Whig politicians from canton and provincial governments. The only firmly Whig province in the Orange League is Setta and even this province has begun to show the dissolution of Whig control at lower levels of government with Torrey and Danford representatives taking over. The Whig party shows signs of further collapse as increasing number of Whig voters begin to vote regularly for Torrey and Danford representatives. There is a movement within the party to return to their liberal, but no dangerously so, roots while others advocate even further excesses.

2. Current Provincial Councilors
Prime Minister - Katherine Kursawi, age 66, Danford Party. Prime Minister Kursawi is the first woman to assume the role of Orange League Prime Minister. Formerly a Councilor from the Basa Province, Prime Minister Kursawi has remained a popular figure in that province even as the Torrey party has begun to take it over. Prime Minister Kursawi is currently serving her second term in the position after two terms as a Councilor. Prime Minister Kursawi is a consummate Danford believing in the preservation of the League and its way of life above all else. Under her leadership of the council ties with allies such as the Scarlet League have been strengthened while cooling relationships with Leagues taking what she considers to be too liberal or reckless as she describes them.

Ibren Province - Derrick Morata, age 49, Danford Party. Councilman Morata inherited his position after the previous councilman, Borak Nursam, from Ibren died of natural causes at the age of seventy one. Representative Morata was well known for his opposition to councilor Nursam's more liberal policies however upon assumption of the councilorship Councilor Morata pledged to follow Councilman Nursam's lead in his policies. The new councilor was quoted as saying, "The voters chose Councilman Nursam's policies and agendas, not mine. It would be a tremendous betrayal of the people to push my own agenda." This show of solidarity with the deceased predecessor bought councilman Morata a tremendous amount of good will in his province, enough that he began to put referendums to the voters at every opportunity, using their results to often justify a more hard-line conservative stance on subjects such as taxes, foreign trade, and the role of the federal government. Oddly enough councilman Morata has proven to be councilwoman Walker's first choice for support when dealing with issues of pokegirl rights.

Draaga Province - Bruce Jorgens, age 54, Danford Party. Councilman Jorgens is a first term councilor after serving two terms as a congressional representative. Councilman Jorgens represents the extreme conservative side of the Danford party, advocating measures such as a cessation of all ties with what he describes as "liberal" leagues, a significant reduction in the role of the national government, and severe curtailing of all pokegirl rights. In recent years councilman Jorgens' views have progressively grown more extreme and has begun to alienate members of his own party. His reelection prospects are dim.

Khar-Toba Province - Hiro Ngyuen, age 61, Danford Party. Described unflatteringly as having "Policies as bland as his personality," councilman Ngyuen has led a political life of near anonymity. His centrist policies have done little to raise the ire of the Danford party's opponents but likewise done little to endear him to his own party. Support for him in his home province has never been overwhelming but he has managed to win election consistently throughout his political life. His lack of fervent commitment in any direction has led to an interesting position for the councilman, as the pivot around which the ruling council often swings. His lack of political commitments has left him uniquely in a position to swing his vote from side to side on issues, making his vote crucial to secure for any bill to pass. This position has led to the Khar-Toba province receiving quite favorable terms on most legislation passed by the ruling council.

Basa Province - Michelle Walker, age 37, Torrey Party. Michelle Walker is the youngest Provincial Councilor and only third Torrey to yet sit on the ruling council of the Orange League. Well known for her liberal stances on pokegirl rights, Councilor Walker has long used them as a smoke screen, drawing her opponents into ever more extreme idealogical debates while outflanking them on other issues while they rail against pokegirl rights. Despite these tactics Councilor Walker has made strides in realizing her agenda of stricter enforcement of pokegirl protection laws as well as increasing the strength of the national government. Curiously she has opposed a normalization of relations with more liberal leagues at every turn. Councilor Walker has often come at cross purposes with some members of her party with her regular coalition building attempts with members of the Danford party. Rarely lasting for more than a single piece of legislation the coalitions have little lasting consequence but Ms. Walker has formed a lasting understanding with Prime Minister Kursawi.

Setta Province - Neeman Osterman, age 66, Whig Party. Councilman Osterman has been largely lampooned in the national media, portrayed as Nero to the Whig party's burning. Councilman Osterman's pleas for his party to reconcile have largely fallen on deaf ears as the various remaining factions in the party continue to stress the fragile alliance ever further. Councilman Osterman has had little influence on national politics during his term, his difficulties within his party leaving with him no governing mandate and his closest ideological companion on the council, Councilor Walker, looking to build coalitions elsewhere.

3. Foreign Relations and Trade
The Orange League strongly believes that international relations and trade are inseparable sides of the same coin. This belief has created at times a contentious relationship between the Orange League and other leagues. The OL regularly imposes tariffs on goods exported from the league and the severity of these tariffs is the best indicator of the Orange League's general feelings towards these leagues. Historically the Scarlet League, long a strong ally of the Orange League, has enjoyed tariff free trade with the Orange League where as newly formed Silver League and members of the WAPL suffer under tariffs that on some medical technology or high grade evolution stones can exceed the worth of the item.

Until 250 A.S. the Orange League had little official contact with other Leagues. Large oceans, both physically and emotionally, separated the Orange League from the rest of the world. Only in the wake of Mao's Rebellion did the Orange League see any benefit in establishing official, permanent contact with other leagues; if only to keep a close watch on them.

The Orange League has likewise joined the Planetary League Council. The Orange League has refused to allow any representative of the PLC any authority within the Orange League however. This refusal has limited the Orange Leagues involvement in the PLC to a rather loud but non-voting voice.

In spite of this semi-isolationism the Orange League is happy to entertain envoys from other Leagues and wishes a cordial relationship with their neighbors though this should not be taken as a sign of weakness or a relaxation of their policies.

B. Local
Each province of the Orange League is subdivided further into a series of cantons. These cantons are centered around larger cities and encompass the other nearby lands and smaller cities and towns. Cantons have no set size. Some cantons cover only individual cities if those cities are large enough, aside from Ceduna all the regional capitals and Sydney are their own cantons. Other cantons can cover vast territories if the population is low enough. Broken-In in the Setta province is the capital of a canton that covers the whole of the island it is located on.

Each canton is administered by a local magistrate. Administration of the Orange League's various laws are handled by these officials who are elected to five year terms. These magistrates are responsible for enforcement of the law and protection of the local populace. The magistrates are given a large amount of leeway in how they administer their areas. Most magistrates adopt more hands off attitudes towards their cantons allowing the local populace to police themselves for the most part.

Operating under the local magistrates are the police and local depot commanders. Compared to other Leagues the Orange League's police force is rather small. The harsh penalties enforced for law breaking, and extensive use of bounties in order to bring in criminals has pushed many law enforcement duties off onto local tamers or the local populace themselves.

The local depot commanders are responsible for managing tamers that may be present in the canton they are assigned to and calling them up if need be. The depot commanders are chosen by the military, typically from the ranks of long term and highly successful tamers. Local depot commanders work closely with magistrates but are not subordinate to them.

C. Tamers
Due to the exceedingly low ratio of pokegirls to humans, 4.12 to 1 at the present time with best estimates, the Orange League does not have sufficient resources to warrant a large number to tamers as some other leagues do. In order to restrict the number of tamers to a manageable quantity and ensure that the tamers that are licenced are of the highest quality the Orange League has instituted a strict regimen of testing and training for their prospective tamers.

The path to becoming a tamer begins with a testing session held once every four months at all local pokecenters. This test is an all day affair consisting of multiple choice, essay sections, and a psychological screening with a psychiatrist and psychic type pokegirl. The pass rate of this test varies but is usually between five and eight percent of candidates. Those candidates who fail to pass the test will be either given a pet owner's licence, if they meet the qualifications, or nothing at all. Prospective tamers can only take this test three times.

If a prospective tamer can pass this test they will be shipped to the local training center for their province. Camp Walker in the Draaga province, Camp Blackstride in Ibren, Camp Wordsworth in Setta, Camp Holmes in Basa, or Camp Teal in Khar-Toba. These camps put the prospects through a nine week training programming that is broken into a trio of three week periods. The first focusing on physical training and ensuring that the tamers have sufficient book learning for their work. The second semester focuses on the care and maintenance of pokegirls and how to manage them. The final semester focuses almost entirely on hands on experience working with pokegirls. Following the second semester all the recruits are issued their first pokegirl in order to facilitate training in the third semester. The final exam for gradation is that the recruits are set out into the area around the camp with the requirement to return within one week with at least one newly captured and tamed pokegirl. The training at these camps is intense and on average a third of each class fails to complete it, however most of these failures occur within the first two semesters. Tamers who fail out during the third semester or during the final exam are typically given the opportunity to repeat the training camp in the next class that comes through.

Following their graduation from training Orange League tamers enter into the Orange League guard. Where as in other leagues tamers may form an unofficial militia and operate as police auxiliaries in the Orange League these functions are both official and tightly enforced.

Some of the requirement for an Orange League tamer to keep their license are:
-The tamer must keep local officials appraised of their locations. When leaving a canton to enter a new one the tamer must notify both the canton they are leaving and the one they are entering of their movements.
-Tamers are required to respond immediately, at all hours, to any summons by either the local magistrate or depot commander.
-Tamers must make their services available to local law enforcement if requested.
-Tamers must capture, tame, and either induct into their harem's or sell to a local rancher at least two pokegirls per month.
-Tamers must report any untoward activity witnessed or suspected.

If tamers fail to follow these directives they will face punishments up to loss of license, loss of pokegirls, or even possible jail time for especially egregious offenses. So long as tamers follow these guidelines and remain in good standing the League will provide them with unlimited access to the local depots located in most major towns. At the depots tamers can seek medical treatment for themselves or their pokegirls, nightly accommodations, taming rooms stocked for more exotic pokegirl needs, basic supplies free of charge, and training areas.

D. Licenses
Pet Owner - The most basic license available. This license still requires a written and psychological test before being issued. Most tamers will fail their initial exams and be given such a license as the requisite testing will be far exceeded by their tamer's exam. Those requesting such a license without taking the tamer's entrance exam must be tested separately. This license allows the possessor to purchase and own up to two (2) pokegirls or pokewomen of stage zero, one, or two. If in their possession a pokegirl evolves to stage three or greater the Pet Owner must immediately report to the local depot for additional psychological screening. If the Pet owner passes this screening their continued ownership of the pokegirl will be approved and their license amended with the exception. If the Pet Owner fails the testing the pokegirl is confiscated and the owner given fair market value for her. Pet owners may only purchase Grade F or D evolution stones. If a pet owner is found attempting to evolve one of his pokegirls past stage 2 they face immediate loss of license, pokegirls, fines and potentially jail time. If the owner of a Pet Owner license passes additional screening their license may be amended to allow for a third pokegirl to be owned, pending evidence of ability to care for the pokegirl. A petowner's license allows the pet owner access to the facilities of local, state run, pokecenters.

Tamer - If a prospective tamer can pass the entrance exam and then complete training camp they will be issued a tamer's license. This license allows the possessor to purchase, own, sell, and trade pokegirls of up to a stage five evolution level. If a pokegirl in possession of the tamer evolves past stage five, or a pokegirl of stage 6 or greater is captured and the tamer wishes to keep them the tamer must submit to additional psychological evaluation. Pending the outcome of this evaluation the tamer's license may be amended to allow for ownership of the pokegirl. Tamers may purchase evolution stones up to grade A, stones up to grade AAA maybe purchased but can only be used under direct league supervision. Tamers may freely evolve their pokegirls up to stage 5 but not beyond. Any tamer found to be attempting to evolve a stage 5 pokegirl without authorization can face severe penalties. Tamers in good standing with the League may use any local depot or pokecenter's facilities free of charge. Tamers may retain any funds they receive for the sale of captured feral pokegirls to approved League ranches. At retirement a tamer in good standing will have his license amended to a Tamer's (retired) license. This license will allow him to retain ownership of up to six pokegirls currently registered to him after retirement. No new pokegirls may be purchased or registered to them until they apply for a Pet Owners license and they are able to purchase new pokegirls under Pet Owner guidelines.

Master Tamer - Master Tamer licenses are awarded to Orange League tamers who have proven themselves to be exceptionally gifted at their work at the discretion of a provincial regional commander. Master Tamers have all the benefits of regular Tamers but may have harems of up to nine pokegirls, but no more than eight combatant pokegirls and a single non-combatant at the maximum. Master Tamer licenses may be retained without limitations even after retirement.

Rancher - Ranching licenses are tightly controlled in the Orange League. Ranchers act as the primary control of the supply side of the pokegirl distribution in the League. Requirements for Ranching licenses consist of possession of a taming license and active work as a tamer for a minimum of five years. Proof of funds and available land for the ranch. Proof of permits for construction, a demonstrable need for a ranch in the location desired and an approved business and management plan for the ranch. If a license is obtained the rancher must follow all league guidelines in regards to the handling of pokegirls. If a rancher wishes to be able to sell the various restricted type pokegirls and not only confiscate appropriate psychological testing must be done for an amended license. Rancher licenses are divided into three categories. Category C Rancher Licenses allow a rancher to have an on hand stock of fifty pokegirls at any one time and a single physical location for the ranch. Category B Rancher Licenses allow a rancher to have an on hand stock of up to one hundred pokegirls and a maximum of one main physical location and two satellite branches within ten miles of the main structure. Class A Rancher Licenses allow an on hand stock of up to five hundred pokegirls an up to four satellite branches. To maintain their license ranchers must submit to yearly audits of all their records, both financial and inventory, personal and business. Also random inspections can be called for at any time. Failure to comply with these inspections is grounds for immediate loss of license.

Breeder - Breeder licenses are the most tightly controlled in the OL aside from a researcher's license. Breeders help to improve the OL's supply of pokegirls by breeding new ones, most often through parthenogenesis. To obtain a license the prospective breeder must have a rancher's license of class B or higher, have ownership of a ranch suitable for breeding, and prove capable of handling feral pokegirls. Breeders must work closely with the National Pokegirl Management Agency and all breeding must be authorized by the NPMA before it takes place. The NPMA requires that all breeders prove that the type of pokegirls to be bred will be beneficial to the Orange League in an industrial or military manner. If they are the breeding is authorized but closely monitored to ensure that the pokegirls and their kits are well cared for. The NPMA tightly controls to whom these newly created pokegirls can be sold to in order to ensure they are the greatest benefit to the OL. Breeders must submit to yearly audits of their records and inspections of their facilities. Random inspections may also be called for at any time and must be complied with. If a breeder violates the terms of their license it will be revoked and depending upon the severity of their violation it can result in demotion or even loss of their rancher's license as well.

Researcher - Researcher licences are the most difficult to obtain in the OL as they are the most regulated. To obtain a researcher license the perspective researcher must be able to demonstrate a goal in their research and why they must carry this research out on live pokegirls. They must also be able to demonstrate that their research will not inflict undue harm on the pokegirl and that they can provide adequate shelter and taming for the pokegirl as well as possession of at least a pet owner's license and any additional applicable licensing requirements. They must submit to a battery of psychological testing. Researchers must operate in a control and supervised environment and must submit to monthly inspections of their laboratory/work space, notes, pokegirl conditions, and progress. They must also submit to quarterly updates on their progress before a board of public regulators made up of their supervisors, peer scientists, and government agents. Finally they must submit to yearly peer reviews of their work and reapply for the researcher's license. A minimum of six unannounced inspections will be carried out during the year. If a researcher violates the terms of their license the license will be revoked and the researcher may face additional loss of licenses, fines, or jail time if appropriate. Upon the end of their research project, either through success, failure, or termination by the review panel a researcher's license is rescinded but may be reapplied for.

Work - A work license is granted for those who wish to primarily employ pokegirls in the workforce and maintain personal control of them rather than through their tamers. These licenses are typically granted to companies that will do most of the work requiring pokegirls far from towns and cities where it would be difficult to transport the workers to and from the job site. Application for a license requires that the company be able to demonstrate a need for the license as well have made provision for the pokegirls. If a license is issued the holder of the license may own up to six pokegirls of stages zero, one, or two. Attempts to evolve pokegirls past stage two may result in loss of license, loss of pokegirls, fines and possible jail time. To maintain their license the owner must submit to yearly inspections of work and living conditions of the pokegirls. Also random inspections may be called for at any time. Failure to comply with these inspections is grounds for immediate loss of license.

Psychic - Anyone wishing to make use of a psychic type pokegirl, or one possessing psychic type powers must apply for a special psychic license authorizing it. In order to obtain a psychic license the person requesting it must demonstrate a significant need for such a pokegirl as well as submit to a rigorous screening process. If the need exists and the person demonstrates a capability to both resist the psychic's power and avoid abuse of said powers a license may be granted. Possessors of a psychic license must submit to both yearly scheduled, and random unscheduled rescreenings of both their pokegirls and themselves. Failure to comply with these rescreenings is grounds for immediate loss of not only the psychic license but all other licenses as well and forfeiture of all pokegirls.

Celestial - Anyone wishing to make use of a celestial type pokegirl must apply for a special celestial license authorizing it. In order to obtain a celestial license the person requesting it must demonstrate a significant need for such a pokegirl as well as submit to a rigorous screening process. If the need exists and the person demonstrates a capability to both resist the celestial's power and avoid abuse of said powers a license may be granted. Possessors of a celestial license must submit to both yearly scheduled, and random unscheduled rescreenings of both their pokegirls and themselves. Failure to comply with these rescreenings is grounds for immediate loss of not only the celestial license but all other licenses as well and forfeiture of all pokegirls.

Dangerous - A dangerous pokegirls license does not entitle the bearer to own any pokegirls in and of itself. A dangerous pokegirls license is a supplemental license to other licenses. A dangerous pokegirl license authorizes the bearer to own pokegirl breeds identified by the Orange League to be particularly dangerous to either the public or their tamers either due to negligence on the tamer's part or direct action. All tamers receive this supplemental license on completion of training. All other parties wishing to own such pokegirls must pass additional testing and screening as well as demonstrate a need to possess the dangerous breed. Ownership of a dangerous breed without possessing a dangerous pokegirls license is cause for immediate forfeiture of all licenses, the pokegirl in question, fines, and possible jail time.

E. Law Enforcement
One surprise to many people visiting the Orange League for the first time is the almost complete lack of visible law enforcement personnel. The police force of most cities is less than a tenth the size of comparable cities in other leagues. The reason for this is that the local populace is trusted with dealing with crime on their own. Most misdemeanor level crimes and some felonies such as burglary are dealt with, locating, capturing, and punishing, purely by civilians. The local sheriffs are notified typically and might oversee if they decide it is needed. Punishment for these low level crimes is typically restitution to the harmed party and lashes in the public square.

This system has relieved a tremendous burden from police departments and the court systems and it has resulted in a very low crime rate, one of the lowest in the world. Criminals are usually caught and convicted in short order and the punishments are severe and quickly handed out.

Serious felonies such as murder, rape, or grand theft are the only crimes the police departments take an active interest in. These crimes are actively and vigorously investigated. If a criminal leaves the canton where the crime is committed a bounty is usually placed on their heads.

Bounties are a serious matter in the Orange League as almost seventy percent of them are issued with the stipulation, "Dead or Alive," with equal cash rewards for dead or live returns. The simple act of having one of these bounties placed on their heads has led to many criminals turning themselves in as Orange League bounty hunters have a well deserved reputation for expediency.

Criminals that are captured and tried officially will stand for a jury trial. Appeals are limited and rarely granted. If a case is denied for appeal twice it is considered shut. Appeals can be placed before any judicial level but the odds of higher level courts accepting appeals is low causing most appeals to be kept to a local level. There are canton, province, and national level courts.

Located on the northwest tip of the Setta province on Alcar island is Fort Eva. Originally a military outpost built during the military build up prior to the start of the unification war Fort Eva was built on a high cliff face to allow it to overlook a portion of the Sea of Dirac. The waters around the island proved extremely hazardous as they are infested with various breeds of shark and predatory water type pokegirls that feed upon the large seal population that has taken up residence along the shore line. It served as a lookout post and point of resistance should either the Perthans or Northern Coalition have felt militarily adventurous. Following the war the Fort had little use as the island it was located on was a parched and empty desert. Abandoned in 173 A.S. the Fort was reoccupied only fifteen years later in 188 A.S. Construction crews swarmed over the old fortress converting it from a military outpost into a maximum security prison. In 190 A.S. Fort Eva was reopened and began receiving guests. Since that time Fort Eva has been used to house law breaking tamers and the worst criminals of the civilian world, sixty percent of the inmates have life sentences without the possibility of parole. To date there have been no confirmed surviving escapees.

F. Laws
-Ownership of an unevolved stage 1 Eva is prohibited. Under no circumstances will an unevolved Eva be allowed to be owned by any private entity in the Orange League. If an unevolved stage 1 Eva is discovered, either feral or threshold they will be turned into the nearest ranch, pokecenter, or depot. Anyone attempting to enter the Orange League will forfeit any unevolved stage 1 Evas in their possession upon arrival and they will be returned upon exit or if the owner allows the storage period of 30 days to lapse without extension. Anyone found in possession of an unevolved stage 1 Eva will face forfeiture of any licenses, confiscation of the Eva and all other pokegirls, fines of up to 500,000 credits, and up to 25 years in prison.

-Ownership of an "Angel" evolution stone of any grade is prohibited. Under no circumstances will an "Angel" evolution stone be owned by a private entity in the Orange League. If an "Angel" evolution stone is discovered it must be immediately turned in to the nearest ranch, pokecenter, or depot. Anyone attempting to enter the Orange League will forfeit any "Angel" evolution stones in their possession upon arrival and they will be returned upon exit or if the owner allows the storage period of thirty days to lapse without extension. Anyone found in possession of an "Angel" evolution stone will face forfeiture of any licenses, confiscation of the evolution stone in question, confiscation of all pokegirls, fines of up to 500,000 credits, and up to 25 years in prison.

-Attempting to evolve an unevolved stage 1 Eva is prohibited. Anyone attempting to evolve an unevolved stage 1 Eva outside of League control and without League permission will face forfeiture of any licenses, confiscation of the Eva and all other pokegirls, fines of up to 500,000 credits, and up to 25 years in prison.

-Ownership of an unlicensed psychic type pokegirl, or pokegirl with telepathic ability, is prohibited. Upon discovery all feral or threshold psychic types, or types with telepathic ability, will be immediately turned into the nearest ranch, pokecenter, or depot. Anyone found in possession of a psychic type pokegirl, or type with telepathic power will face forfeiture of any licenses, confiscation of the pokegirl and all other pokegirls, fines of up to 250,000 credits, and up to 10 years in prison.

-Ownership of an unlicensed Celestial type pokegirl is prohibited. Upon discovery all feral or threshold celestial types pokegirls will be immediately turned into the nearest ranch, pokecenter, or depot. Anyone in possession of a pokegirl who evolves into a celestial type will report to the nearest depot within three days for reevaluation of their license or forfeiture of the pokegirl. Anyone found in possession of a celestial type pokegirl without the proper license will face forfeiture of any licenses, confiscation of the pokegirl and all other pokegirls, fines of up to 250,000 credits, and up to 10 years in prison.

-Ownership of an unlicensed Infernal type pokegirl is prohibited. Upon discovery all feral or threshold infernal types pokegirls will be immediately turned into the nearest ranch, pokecenter, or depot. Anyone in possession of a pokegirl who evolves into an infernal type will report to the nearest depot within three days for reevaluation of their license or forfeiture of the pokegirl. Anyone found in possession of an infernal type pokegirl without the proper license will face forfeiture of any licenses, confiscation of the pokegirl and all other pokegirls, fines of up to 250,000 credits, and up to 10 years in prison.

-Ownership of an unlicensed pokegirl capable of movement through solid matter is prohibited. Upon discovery all feral or threshold pokegirls with this capability will be immediately turned into the nearest ranch, pokecenter, or depot. Anyone in possession of a pokegirl who evolves and gains such an ability will report to the nearest depot within three days for reevaluation of their license or forfeiture of the pokegirl. Anyone found in possession of a pokegirl with this capability without the proper license will face forfeiture of any licenses, confiscation of the pokegirl and all other pokegirls, fines of up to 250,000 credits, and up to 10 years in prison.

-Attempting to evolve a pokegirl past stage 2 is prohibited for anyone with a Pet Owner's license. Any pet owner found to be attempting such an evolution will face forfeiture of license, confiscation of the pokegirl attempting to be evolved and all other pokegirls in their possession, fines of up to 100,000 credits and up to 5 years in jail.

-Attempting to evolve a pokegirl past level 5 without official permission is prohibited for anyone with a Tamer's license. Any Tamer found to be attempting such an evolution will face forfeiture of license, confiscation of the pokegirl attempting to be evolved and all other pokegirls in their possession, fines of up to 100,000 credits and up to 5 years in jail.

-Attempting to engage in sexual relations with a pokegirl without her tamer's constent is prohibited. If consent cannot be proven it is assumed to not be given. Any person found to be attempting such relations will face fines of up to 50,000 credits and up to twenty lashes.

G. Military

1. Army
The Orange League Army maintains only a small dedicated central officer corps that is full time and sized appropriately for a full scale military call up. The average ground troops however are not full time. The Orange League Army maintains two levels of tamers. The National Guard is made up of all active tamers and all retired tamers under the age of thirty five years old. In times of emergency these tamers can be activated for military service immediately. The Reserves are made up of all tamers and former tamers between 35 and 50 years old. Like the National Guard they can be called up in times of national emergency but typically are not unless the league is in dire straights. There are some full time military units, approximately four division of full time regular troops and their pokegirls along with several more divisions of specialized troops. The Army is responsible for maintaining the depot system.

2. Navy
The Orange League Navy is a full time institution unlike the Army. The Orange League Navy has been a coastal force for most of its life, focusing on small PT boat and corvette sized ships most appropriate for patrolling the Orange Islands vast collection of water ways. In the last twenty years however the Orange League Navy has begun to work on the construction of large ocean going warships in an effort to expand from a purely brown water navy to one with significant blue water capability.

IV. Economy

A. Labor Force
The Orange League has had one serious roadblock in its rebuilding and growth efforts, a lack of pokegirls. While some leagues enjoyed a pokegirl to human ratio of twenty or even thirty to one the Orange League has only recently achieved a slightly more than four to one ratio. The Orange League has also had to deal with the pokegirls that they do have typically being more common pet types instead of the more industrial or militaristic types due to most immigrants bringing their pets but few tamers being interested in the denuded island.

Without the endless reserves of free labor at their finger tips public works projects and industrial efforts that normally would be handled by brute force in other leagues required more finesse. Where as other leagues were able to indulge the anti-technology impulses of their citizens the Orange League made a concerted effort to preserve as much technology as they could.

Since the mid second century the Orange League has placed a high priority on increasing pokegirl numbers in the Islands for the benefit of the economy.

B. Medical Technology
The establishment of a large number of secondary schools has proven to be a wise investment in the long run for the Orange League. The schools established in the second century have helped to raise the general level of education throughout the islands. The early emphasis on the medical sciences has continued to this day. As a result medical technology in the Orange League has progressed rapidly and to a point where it has become an exportable commodity.

Publicly funded medical research is spread across the league in the various colleges and universities but privately funded research is concentrated around the New England Medical Center, a privately owned and operated university/hospital. Located in the city of Chiurgeon on the western coast of the Khar-Toba province Chiurgeon was a small town until the Pfizer pharmaceutical company established their headquarters there. Seeking to start their own research center, so as to profit from both licensing and selling of any breakthroughs and not only manufacturing products, the company began construction of the New England Medical Center in 261 A.S. Within a decade the center was attracting some of the best and brightest medical minds in the league. Eager to benefit from the brain trust developing in the city other companies started research facilities in the city.

The Orange League has encouraged the development of this booming industry through a series of tax breaks and grants. However while one hand offers them benefits the other keeps a firm control on the industry. Any new breakthroughs are immediately classified as non-exportable and until the government has time to evaluate the breakthrough. Depending on the applications the league will either authorize the sale of the technology overseas, domestically only, or in rare cases classify the breakthrough and prevent discussion of it outside of government labs.

What Chiurgeon is to medical research Merck is to medicine production. Located directly south of Darwin the city of Merck has become a center of medicinal production in the Orange League. Numerous factories produce everything from stamina drinks to aspirin to cough syrup. Supported by a booming chemical industry in the area the city has benefited from the medical boom and products produced there can be found in any pokecenter on the Pacific Rim.

C. Mining
The discovery and subsequent nationalization of the evolution stone mines has resulted in a tremendous economic boom for the Orange League. Taxes on the mines and tariffs on the exportation of stones has resulted in low tax rates for the population. These low taxes and a continuous stream of foreign money coming into the League has kept the economy in steady growth for over half a century.

Perhaps the most surprising aspect of the evolution stone deposits are their extent and variety. The deposits often cover hundreds of square kilometers and in some of the largest fields it is impossible to see a portion of the surroundings that is not covered in mining operations. Virtually every type of stone is represented in the islands bounty save one, angel stones.

The Ibren province is home to the Luna seam of moon stones in the northern sanctuary mountains. Draaga province has the Amazon seam of leaf stones on Ayer's island. The Khar-Toba province has the first discovered evolution stone deposits, the Loverton seam of fire stones on Uluru island. Alcar island in the Setta province has the Inmate seam of thunder stones. Kalgoorlie island in the Basa province is ringed with water stone rich reefs. Smaller deposits of other types of stones are scattered through the islands and the surrounding seas.

V. Social

A. Populace
The Orange League is a nation of immigrants. With the total population of the Orange Islands reduced below 200,000 people by the Great War and the Advent most of the league's current citizens trace their ancestries back to immigrants rather than natives of the islands.

Most of the immigrants to the islands were hardy folk looking for freedom from their league's rule or for new frontiers to colonize. Many saw the potential to make it big by resettling in the land and hopefully cashing in as it grew. Whatever the reason they came might have been immigrants did come. Starting in the late first century and becoming a flood towards the end of the second. The flow of immigration has lessened in modern times but there is still a steady stream of immigrants.

Due to the immigration the populace of the Orange League is a cross section of the world. All nationalities, races, and creeds can be found in some proportion. The most numerous race is Caucasian due to the pre-Sukebe population but they are by no means the majority. The current racial cross section is: 32% Caucasian, 23% Asian, 19% Hispanic, 14% black, and 12% other.

The advances made in the field of medicine have extended the average life span in the Orange League to slightly below pre-Sukebe norms with 68 years for males and 75 years for females. Medical treatment is readily available and Orange League laws prevent doctors from refusing to treat immediately life threatening injuries and conditions. Most of the populace has medical insurance though some chose to pay as they go either due to personal beliefs or situations.

The education system of the Orange League has grown since its institution in the second century following the war. Attendance is not mandatory but it is recommended. The Orange League has a system of state run schools that will accept any applicant and a thriving network of private schools provide more specialized or intense schooling if parents should choose to send their children there. Enrollment in a private school entitles the family to a tax credit for the portion of their taxes that would typically support the public schools. The typical school schedule is six hours per day in the morning for five days a week. The school year typically starts in March and lasts until November with various other holidays off. Schooling typically begins at 5 years old in state run schools and continues on until the students are eighteen. There is a system of secondary schools, colleges and universities, set up in much the same manner as the primary school system. The public colleges and universities are not free however and neither are they required to accept any applicant. As an alternative to the secondary schools there is a system of trade schools in place to provide advanced training for various careers.

While a plethora of languages are spoken in the Orange League due to the immigrant population standard English is the common language of the league. All citizens are required to learn it and all immigrants must be able to speak it in order to gain citizenship.

Isolation from the remainder of the world has insulated the Orange League in many ways. Where as many other areas embraced the Church of a Thousand Faiths the CoaTF is largely unknown in the Orange League. Pre-Sukebe religions like Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Taoism, Buddhism, Hinduism and many many others are still common and practiced in much the same way they were over 300 years ago. Less than 1% of the population identifies themselves as members of the CoaTF.

B. Pokegirls
The Orange League has long suffered from what most people would consider a blessing, a lack of pokegirls. Due to the conditions of the Great War and the subsequent Advent the Orange League has always had a low pokegirl to human ratio. The Eva Advent caused the most destruction to the interior of the continent, the least human populated and most heavily feral pokegirl populated area. Where as some leagues have as many as twenty five feral pokegirls to ever human, in the Orange League post Advent the proportion was barely a tenth that. Since the advent the feral population has made some rebounds but the numbers of pokegirls still lag far behind that of other leagues. The Orange League's immigrant population did little to improve the situation as many people were simply pet owners who brought with them only two or three pokegirls and usually more domestic types than industrial or militarily valuable types.

The pokegirl population in the Orange League is heavily skewed towards water type pokegirls. The nature of the newly formed Orange Islands made the post Advent league attractive to water types. Numerous islands, waterways and marshes made ideal habitats for water type pokegirls and they propagated rapidly. Its rare for an Orange League tamer to not have at least one water type pokegirl in their harem.

The lack of pokegirls has led to the Orange League taking a firm stance in their protection. Prospective tamers and pet owners must all undergo psychological evaluation and any propensities that could lead to mistreatment of a pokegirl in the future are grounds for rejection. Stiff fines and even jail time are common punishments for pokegirl owners who mistreat their pokegirls. Denying them medical care, physical abuse, and putting pokegirls into unnecessarily dangerous situations can all be grounds for punishment or the loss of a license. These laws are enforced to varying degrees however as they are largely left up to local law enforcement to deal with. Most local departments take a very dim view of such abuse however as the state-run network of low cost pokecenters makes medical care of their pokegirls available for even the most impoverished pet owner.

The lack of pokegirls has also led to a strong growth in the breeding industry. The league controls the breeders tightly however, ensuring that industrially and militarily useful pokegirls are bred primarily rather than "wasting" their efforts on pokegirls more for entertainment than public benefit.

A select few organizations have managed to loosen these reigns slightly and have gained authorization to produce what are becoming known as "designer" pokegirls. Specializing in specific traits these breeders focus in on selective breeding of the PGs to encourage the proper traits to come to the forefront.

VI. Organizations

The organizations listed in the following section do not represent the only ones of their kind in the Orange League but are instead among the most notable.

A. Pokegirl Placement Partners
The Pokegirl Placement Partners, or PPP is a nonprofit organization that specializes in finding homes for pokegirls. The specialize in thresholder and domestic pokekit placement. Established in 189 A.S. the PPP has focused on offering parents the chance to place their thresholded daughters or maturing pokekits into loving and appreciative homes rather than turning them over to a local ranch. The PPP maintains a listing, in various formats, of pokegirls being put up for adoption and a second list of prospective pet owners looking for pokegirls. The PPP maintains strict guidelines on who can adopt through them, requiring that all adopters have valid pet owner licenses, proof of employment and residence, and a clean criminal record. The PPP will not allow tamers or commercial concerns to adopt from their listings. Parties putting pokegirls up for adoption must be able to prove ownership of the girl.

If someone putting their pokegirl up for adoption finds a tamer that interests them, or vice versa the PPP will ensure mutual interest from both parties and then arrange a face to face meeting. If both parties agree to an exchange the PPP will take care of the paperwork to transfer ownership. The adopter pays a small fee to cover operations costs but that is all. The PPP does not allow commercial transactions to be arranged through its service.

The PPP was started as a charitable organization to help parents of thresholders find homes for their daughters. Since 189 A.S. they have branched out, adding pokekits to their services in 206 A.S., pokegirls being released by retiring tamers in 234 A.S. and finally pokewomen in 278 A.S.

The PPP maintains its headquarters in Sydney. Regional offices are maintained in each of the provincial capitals and local offices are set up in most major towns. The PPP is a tax exempt charitable organization.

B. Professional Bounty Hunters Association
With the increased reliance on a bounty system for law enforcement an ever growing number of bounty hunters began to appear in the league. Initially these bounty hunters operated independently and a great deal of friction occurred between the hunters, the police, and the local citizens. Seeking to smooth relations between all parties involved groups of bounty hunters began to band together to form professional organizations. The organizations began focusing on working with, not against local law enforcement, enacting their own codes to help prevent private property damage, and some even compensating private citizens should their property be damaged in a pursuit. As the number of these organizations grew they began to join together.

The Professional Bounty Hunters Guild, the PBHG, was founded in September of 215 A.S when the three remaining organizations in the Draaga province agreed to merge. The PBHG proved to be highly successful on many fronts. The PBHG showed a great willingness to work with local law enforcement, providing muscle when needed and responding quickly and professionally to even the smallest bounty. The PBHG was able to lobby the provincial government to secure official recognition of their guild and some special dispensations in the laws to allow them to do their work more effectively. The PBHG established a reconciliation fund, from which funds could be drawn to compensate private citizens who had their property damaged in pursuit of a bounty. They started several insurance plans, both for the guild members and for anyone who may be injured in pursuit of a bounty.

The PBHG was so successful that many smaller organizations quickly began to apply for membership. Pressure from local groups also drove the various bounty hunter groups to the PBHG as some cantons began to disallow any bounty hunters but official guild bounty hunters. By 241 A.S. almost ninety percent of the bounty hunters operating in the Orange League were PBHG members.

Today the PBHG is a well established organization within the Orange League. The PBHG expends a great deal of effort in maintaining their good image with the people. The PBHG reconciliation fund is in full force and the guild enacts its own harsh punishments against members who cause too many disruptive situations. In order to ensure that the guild's high standards are met all new members undergo a three year apprenticeship with an established guild member. During this time the apprentice is entitled to 25% of the bounties collected and their mentor is responsible for their actions. If at any time the mentor judges the apprentice to not have the necessary skills and restraint to be a guild member their apprenticeship will be immediately terminated. All guild members pay a guild fee of 10% of all bounties. This money is used to support the guild, the reconciliation fund, and the guild supplied insurance for all members.

The PBHG maintains a central office in the city of Darwin. Most of the guild's day to day business is handled through small offices located throughout the league in larger cities.

C. Pokegirl Rights Organizations

1. Coalition for the Advancement of Pokegirl Relations
Founded in 195 A.S. as the Pokewoman Relations Society the CAPR was begun by a group of people less concerned with pokegirl rights and more about numbers. Through the mid 230's the PRS was focused almost exclusively on encouraging humans to settle down with their pokewomen and start making babies, hoping to increase the pokegirl population the old fashioned way. It was during the 230's that a number of groups advocating for better treatment of pokegirls began to crop up. By this time the Society had become a large and well funded organization, many of these smaller groups sought help from the Society and it gave it. After all a happy pokewoman is a horny one, and horny ones have a better chance of making pokekits.

The number of organizations under the Society's umbrella continued to grow and by 260 A.S. the Society was partners with over two hundred organizations of various sizes. At this point the Society felt that the aims of the group could best be served by pooling resources and focusing their attentions. In August 260 A.S. the Society renamed itself the Coalition for the Advancement of Pokegirl Relations and invited its former partners to join and almost four fifths of them did.

The CAPR's stance has remained conservative throughout the years, focusing more upon improving the conditions pokegirls lived and worked in and improving their treatment more than seeking new rights for them. This stance has made the CAPR an attractive and influential organization that has mainstream acceptance in the population of the Orange League. The CAPR has studiously avoided any potential entanglement with the more proactive or even violent pokegirl rights organizations in the league.

The CAPR has continued the strategy of the PRS. Rather than staging protests and demonstrations the CAPR focuses primarily on education, working with local pokecenters to encourage and educate pet owners to take care of their pokegirls better, motivating their members to petition their elected officials on pokegirl issues, and encouraging their members to vote for candidates sympathetic to their positions. While the CAPR and PRS before it have never donated a single credit to any political campaign many prospective politicians eagerly court the CAPR hoping to win their endorsement and the significant boost this can give their campaign.

The current most prominent member of the CAPR is Councilor Michelle Walker. A CAPR member in good standing Councilor Walker was on the board of directors of the CAPR prior to joining the league council. Since her election her seat on the board has remained open with the understanding that she can resume her activities with the CAPR after her term in office is over.

2. Orange League Violence Center
The Orange League Violence Center or OLVC was originally a small research group that partnered with the CAPR in the 270's. They initially focused of studying excessive violence against pokegirls, the causes, effects, and searching for possible solutions. The OLVC soon left these goals behind and in 276 A.S. they began to immediate action, even violent action, to put a stop to what they described as brutal and inhumane treatment. The OLVC began to sponsor a series of protests focused on various establishments they deemed to be inhumane. This action led to the CAPR immediately severing ties with the OLVC.

Throughout the 280's the OLVC continued to sponsor protests, demonstrations, and boycotts throughout the Orange League. By the mid 280's these demonstrations had a reputation as rowdy and confrontational, by 290 A.S. the OLVC's protests began to become violent. Ranches, pokecenters, and breeding facilities have been common targets for these "protests" that often devolve into vandalism and even looting with several going so far as to burn down the facility in question.

While the OLVC has been under intense scrutiny for over fifteen years no serious charges have yet to be filed against them as they continue to maintain that these instances of violence are not at their behest and represent the actions of a few desperate individuals. While investigations into the OLVC as a whole have yet to yield fruit several regional offices have been indicted on charges of fraud or conspiracy and shut down.

Today the OLVC sits firmly in the Orange League Justice Department's watch list, a situation that has made many supporters of the organization nervous and led to most contributions being made anonymously.

3. Parity Now
Parity Now was formed in 268 A.S. in the University of Trella. Formed by a group of liberal students Parity Now was initially little more than a club aimed at spreading the message of pokegirl rights and ending the nearly three century old tradition of slavery. Unfortunately Parity Now did not stay so benign. The group began to attract new members, both teachers and students, and it started to become more radical. Some of their first public actions on the campus were to randomly assault pet owning students, occasionally with mace in public during the day, or physical assaults under the cover of darkness. They often made grandiose claims after these assaults that they had punished overly abusive humans though little evidence was found to back their claims. By late 270 A.S. Parity Now had achieved significant notoriety on campus, enough that the national government sent investigators to the campus to find the members of Parity Now and arrest them. This action has been pinpointed as the tipping point in Parity Now's downfall.

Three days after investigators arrived on campus a bomb exploded in the campus police headquarters. Four local officers and three national investigators were killed and twenty two others were injured in the blast. Parity Now had become a terrorist organization.

Two days later a car bomb exploded outside the campus pokecenter. Five humans and nine pokegirls were killed with fifteen more wounded. Three days after that a bomb went off in a campus dormitory killing eleven humans and twenty pokegirls. The campus was immediately locked down. The subsequent manhunt was one of the largest in Orange League history with almost a thousand local and national law enforcement officials combing the school of eleven thousand. Two days later a group of six students and one teacher were captured in the basement of the campus bookstore, preparing two more bombs for attacks the authorities believed to be scheduled for later in the day. While the media hailed this as the end of the terrorist organization authorities discovered that this was far from the truth. Following the campus lock-down the organization had fragmented, adopting a cell like structure. No one in the captured cell knew what had become of the other cells or the where abouts of the "cabal" as they called it, Parity Now's leadership. Three of the captured terrorists, including the teacher, were executed and the remaining four imprisoned in Fort Eva for life.

Following the University of Trella incident Parity Now began a campaign of bombings throughout the Orange League. On average every six weeks another attack would take place, car bombs, mail bombs, shootings, different cells had different preferences for their attacks. Every attack was accompanied with media releases making various demands and protesting various "social ills." For eighteen months these attacks took place until in 272 A.S. the Cabal, was tracked down and rounded up along with five cells located through investigation of the Cabal's movements. The Cabal was comprised of twenty one members, sixteen of whom were captured alive and five dead, and the cells totaled another thirty eight members, all of whom were captured. After months of interrogation every member of the cabal as well as the leaders and second in commands of all the cells were executed and the remainder of the cell members were given life sentences in Fort Eva.

This action appeared to break the back of Parity Now, attacks immediately dropped in frequency with the final attack, the car bombing of a pokecenter occurring in 278 A.S. For ten years it appeared that Parity Now had been finished off until a mail bomb killed the administrator of a Draaga pokecenter in July of 288 A.S. Since that time an increasing number of attacks have occurred claiming to be actions on behalf of Parity Now. The authorities aggressively prosecute each attack but at this time it is still not clear if Parity Now has returned as a cohesive organization or if these attacks are merely the work of lone madmen looking to integrate their violence into a larger social context.

What is known is that the Orange League has returned Parity Now and its members to its priorities and League wide bounties for persons with information have been reissued. Parity Now has been labeled a terrorist organization and its members are wanted, dead or alive.

D. Pokegirl Fighting Organizations

1. Ultimate Cage Fighting (UCF)
Referred to in its marketing as, "The Show." UCF is the most popular of the fixed format professional fighting leagues. UCF is a one on one only contest that takes place in a fifteen meter octagon. Flight and leaving the octagon are prohibited in all cases. Attacks that could result in death or permanent injury are banned in all cases and the ring judge may at any time end a fight if he feels the rules have been violated or one pokegirl cannot continue to fight. Fights are made up of three five minute rounds for conventional bouts, five five minute rounds for championship fights. Each round is scored by a panel of three judges with the winner of a round being awarded ten points and the loser zero to nine based off their performance. Winning a fight is worth fifty points, losing is worth nothing. A point multiplier, between one point five and zero point five is assessed for each fighter in a fight based off the degree of difficulty of the fight. If a low ranked fighter holds their own in a fight with a clear favorite their points can be increased by up to fifty percent while the favorites can be reduced by just as much. Final award of the modifier is left solely up to the scoring judges. A victor is determined in a fight either by knock out, submission, or judges decision if the fight lasts the full length of time. Fighters are broken up into classes based off their degree of evolution. Bouts are arranged by the fighter's representatives with a great deal of strategy going towards trying to achieve the best chance of victory while still retaining a good point modifier. The UCF season lasts eight months with each fighter being required to compete in at least one bout a month and twenty total for the season. At the end of the season the top quarter of the fighters in each weight class advance to a double elimination championship tournament that lasts two months with the final victor in each class being crowned that class' champion.

UCF has attained a high level of popularity, eating into the market share of the open format organizations due to its perceived fairness and clear cut champions and the lack their of in the open format organizations. UCF has also broadcast their bouts for free and kept tickets to events relatively inexpensive. UCF has still not attained the popularity of the Open Tournament however and is not expected to due to its fixed format and general preference towards close physical combat pokegirls.

2. Prize Fighting League (PPFL)
The PFL is the leader among the open format fighting leagues. Unlike the UCF and other's the PFL has no set format or ranking system. Tamers negotiate fights between their pokegirls debating things like venue, allowable abilities, purse split, victory conditions, and whether or not a title can be up for grabs. This system typically results in fairly balanced fights but is also quite expensive. The PPL has a large number of arenas that fights can take place in but nothing prevents fighters from agreeing to a new venue and the PPFL must adjust. All PFL bouts are pay-to-view and tickets to live bouts can be very expensive for big name fights. The PFL has significant issues facing it however, with no set championship tournament the titles are passed from fighter to fighter based off victory in a fight, however during the pre-bout bidding the champion can negotiate for a non-title fight, or put extreme conditions on winning it. This can make it difficult at times to win a championship. Additionally, the PFL divides fighters into forty three groups based off evolution level, abilities, and size. This mishmash of classes and the resultant forty three separate champions at any one time has made the PFL quite confusing even for dedicated fans. The PFL has also suffered through recent judging scandals with many accusations of ringside judges fixing fights.

While the PFL has lost significant market share to the UCF they have not yet seen serious financial loses. Tickets to popular bouts still sell for significant sums to the wealthy and the most popular fights still draw large viewing audiences. The PFL is popular among pokegirl owners looking to make it into the sport of fighting because the winning purses for popular bouts can be several million credits, however he low level PFL fighting is not very popular and purses are small. Attrition rate for low level PFL fighters is very high.

3. Grand Tournament (GT)
The Grand Tournament is an open format tournament and the only one of its kind in the Orange League. This exclusivity is due to the Grand Tournament's all encompassing nature and wide acceptance, the winner of the Grand Tournament is unofficially considered to be the "League Champion." The GT is a ten month long even that starts in February and continues on until November. The tournament starts as small local events. Cantons, cities, towns all request authorization from the GT to hold preliminary bouts in their area. These events are all structured similarly. A representative is appointed to act on behalf of the GT. The representative is responsible for organizing the event, establishing prizes, and designating fighting areas. Anyone who wants to try can register for these local events. A single elimination tournament then begins. Each fight takes place in a random battle area, forest, swamp, river, gym, etc. The contestants will not know where they are fighting until half an hour before the bout begins. Depending on the size of the local event only the winner of the tournament or the top four or even eight fighters will continue on to the next level of competition, usually a regional tournament. Regional tournaments follow the same format though the larger area they cover allows for more varied terrain to fight in. Regional tournaments follow the same format as local tournaments and the winner or top group will then move onto the provincial tournaments. In the provincial tournaments the formats change. They are now double elimination tournaments and each girl fights one bout per week. Fighters are notified of the venue two days prior to the fight. At the end of the provincial tournament the top one hundred and twenty eight girls from across all five provinces, apportioned according to population, compete in the League tournament. Double elimination weekly fights in random venues. Due to the size of the contest at this point most of the fighting venues are purposely constructed just for the Grand Tournament and include stadium seating and extensive broadcast facilities. The venues are highly randomized and a bout to be held in a forest arena could have the additional complication of fighting in a down pour, during a blizzard, in sweltering heat, or even with simulated earthquakes. The championship must be taken in combat, in the event of disqualification of a fighter or simultaneous knockouts or any other extreme situation an eliminated pokegirl can be reinstated in the tournament to provide a final match.

The Grand Tournament's popularity is unmatched in the Orange League. The tournaments receive broadcast coverage from the local to the national level allowing people to follow their local pokegirls from the most basic tournament all the way up to the finals. The open nature of the tournament keeps new blood circulating in the tournament constantly. The tournament has some detractors, claiming that the random nature of the venues give some pokegirls insurmountable odds and that the champion is picked more by luck than skill. Tournament officials have stated that given the length of the tournament and how many bouts each girl must fight, usually between forty and sixty, every champion has faced several venues that give their opponents big advantages and still won. They contend the random nature assures that the absolute best fighter wins the tournament. Analysis of the more than one hundred and twenty GT winners indicates a fairly even spread between ranged fighters and physical fighters and among the various types of pokegirls.

4. National Team Cage Fighting Federation (NTCFF)
The National Team Cage Fighting Federation spun off of Ultimate Cage Fighting in 275 A.S. The NTCFF utilizes much of the UCF's format and rules but instead of one on one matches the NTCFF focuses on team fighting. The NTCFF has three seperate divisions for two, three, and five pokegirl teams. In the NTCFF a match does not end until all the girls on a team have been eliminated. The ocatagon the NTCFF uses is significantly larger than the UCF's at forty five meters across. This enlarged ring allows for more girls to occupy it at once and makes it more viable to use ranged attacking pokegirls unlike the physical combat dominated UCF. The NTCFF's season starts in July, a month before the regular season of the UCF ends. To date the NTCFF has not achieved the same level of popularity that the UCF has with the most common complaint being that its too hard to keep up with so many girls in such a small space. In the last two seasons this has led the NTCFF to experiment with allowing managers to also negotiate venue in certain matches, allowing for larger areas to fight in on more varied terrain than a simple octagon. This change has been well recieved by both fighters and fans and it is rumored that within the next few seasons the NTCFF will change formats in an attempt to garner more market share.

5. Amateur Fighting Leagues
The Orange League officially takes a dim view on non-organized pokegirl fighting. As such most cities or cantons maintain their own amateur fighting leagues with rules and prizes decided on locally. The backyard brawl type of pokegirl fighting is frowned upon by law enforcement and even banned in some areas.

E. Orange League Wreckball

Wreckball was introduced to the Orange League early in its history, sometime in the early second century A.S. However sparodic contact with the outside world led to the game taking on its own special Orange League flavor. Orange League wreckball rules will be presented in an appendix. Wreckball in the Orange League is as popular as it is in other leagues and attracts its own kind of fans. Orange League wreckball games are well known for the violence both on and off the field as bosterious crowds sometimes carry their teams rivalries a bit too far. Wreckball leagues are common in the OL, with cities and cantons organizing their own leagues and many colleges maintaining student teams. There is one single League wide organization however, the National Wreckball League. The NWL has set up teams throughout the league, thirty six in total to date with negotiations going on with several cities with an eye to making it forty teams. Professional wreckball stadiums in the largest cities can contain up to seventy thousand fans and NWL games are televised every week.

The NWL season is broken up into a twenty four game regular season and a post season. The regular season starts in the last week of June and continues on until the end of Janurary, each team recieving two bye weeks with no game. One game a week is played with most happening on Sunday though a few are played throughout the week. At the end of the season the top sixteen teams move onto a single elimination playoffs with the league champion team being crowned in mid March.

The NWL maintains a minor league division for scouting prospects.

Some of the NWL teams include:

The Darwin Timberwolves
The Sydney Jade Falcons
The Ceduna Nova Cats
The Eve's Cleft Smoke Jaguars
The Queenstown Warhammers
The Nipson Crusaders
The Perth Bucaneers

F. Ornico Breeding
The Ornico Breeding Corporation is a large conglomerate with its head office in Eve's Cleft. Founded in 254 A.S. the corporation has grown slowly but steadily over the years, acquiring independent ranches and breeders that had what they were looking for and recently branching out into purchasing intellectual properties for their own use. Their stable, steady growth has made them a top pick among Orange League investors for over two decades. Today the corporation owns a hundred and fifty nine ranches and twenty two breeding ranches making them the largest ranching conglomerate in the league.

The OBC is broken up into several divisions based off the special service they offer.

1. Ornico Purebreds
Ornico Purebreds is the designer pokegirls division of OBC. OP provides specially bred pokegirls for the pet owner, tamer, and commercial markets. The pet side of OP focuses on breeding highly desirable pokegirls for recreational use, selecting them for their exceptional beauty, unique physical abilities, and specialty traits such as fur colors and patterns. The tamers side focuses on producing pokegirls prized for their fighting abilities and that take their breed's abilities to the limit. The industrial portion of OP breeds rare or hard to find pokegirls of industrial value. While OP utilizes parthenogenesis at times to maintain stock levels, all divisions of OP pride themselves on using selective breeding techniques in their pursuit of improving their bloodlines.

2. Ornico Learning Centers
Ornico Learning Centers are the places most often associated with the Ornico name. Most Ornico owned ranches and breeders don't advertise the ownership. These Centers specialize in the training of pokegirls for different tasks their owners might need them to perform. This training will allow a common pet type pokegirl to perform more effectively in various roles. The more popular training programs the OLC offers include personal defense, housekeeping, and sexual techniques. A new program gaining popularity is the companion training program. Intended for caregivers of teenage children the program prepares a pokewoman to encourage their young charge in developing into a healthy responsible adult. Currently the OLC maintains a series of learning centers in most major cities which include dormitories if pokegirls will have to be shipped to the center from out of town for their lessons. Most ranches affiliated with the Ornico Breeding Corporation offer to have any pokegirl sold from them trained in any of the center's programs prior to purchase for a small additional charge.

3. Ornico Specials Products
The OSP division of Ornico Breeding is the newest division of the conglomerate. The OSP focuses on procuring rare and new pokegirl breeds for distribution as well as bringing to market new technologies for the care of pokegirls. They have cultivated numerous alliances with the medical companies of the Orange League seeking to gain an inside track for obtaining the latest pokegirl technology. Tamers working for the OSP have turned up in many leagues hunting down new breeds of pokegirls for Ornico Breeding.

4. Ornico Ranching
Ornico Ranching is the largest division of Ornico Breeding but also the one that takes the most pains to stay out of the public eye. Managing the ranches owned by Ornico Breeding Ornico Ranching gives those affiliated with the company the support they need to succeed. Ornico Ranching is the main distribution point of the products of the other divisions.

==================================
Author's Notes

1) First off thanks to Lighthawk for being a continual sounding board for every crazy idea I have.
2) Second thanks to Finalmax for some excellent ideas for the OL.
3) This Primer is written in the style of an encyclopedia entry. Frivolous things like "Notable Tamers," are not included and never will be.
4) I attempted to be as exhaustive as I could and cover all the important points. I'm sure I'll run into something I forgot eventually and have to add it.
5) This is not the entire Orange League Primer. The total official primer will be at least 4 parts. This is the main body of the primer. The second portion will be the "Top Secret" section of the primer which will contain information on a few of the things the OL is involved in but would not be public knowledge. The third portion will be the rules for Orange League Wreckball. The final portion will be a series of vignettes that will highlight certain portions of the information from the primer.
6) I encourage anyone who wants to write for the Orange League to do so. I ask that any such works conform to this primer however. I'm considering making a fifth section of the primer that will contain links to the "Official" Orange League stories.
7) Questions, comments, general bitching, contact me at bsmartfanfic@yahoo.com I am typically fairly good at responding, I am not a people person however so check your feelings at the inbox.

Version Changes
1.0 Initial Orange League Primer as included in the story "On the Run."
1.1 Initial Publication of revised primer on pokegirl.org
1.2 Added header and footer.
Clarified the existence of state run, civilian only pokecenters.
Added the Ornico Breeding Organization to the organizations section.
Publication on yahoo groups and mediaminer.