Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Orange League Primer ❯ Orange League Primer - Orange League Wreckball Rules ( Chapter 3 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Orange League Primer - Orange League Wreckball Rules
Version 1.0
by: Lighthawk
Edited by: bsmart aka Tiek Mo Shet

The Orange League is my property of bsmart. The Primer and the information contained there in are sole property of bsmart and any changes to it must be approved by him. This document is rated R for its subject matter. This document and this version there of supersedes any previous Orange League Primer.

=================================

Wreckball, Orange League rules

Wreckball is a Pokegirl played sport that is more like a fast paced, highly mobile battle then traditional human sports. The basic concept of the game is to score points by getting the ball into the opposing team's goal, and with a few exceptions, any means may be used to accomplish this task.

I. The Field

Wreckball is played on an oval shaped field, 600 yards long and 300 yards wide. The Goals are placed at either end of the field, and are 6 yards wide by 3 yards tall. The first 100 yards at either end of the field are the Scoring Zones, and the middle 400 yards are the Playing Zone. A clear protective barrier must be in place in front of the stands and be able to stop any errant attacks from harming the crowd.

II. Equipment

A. The Wreckball: The ball is a sphere 1 foot in diameter and weighing 5 pounds. It is constructed from an ultra hard ceramic and coated with an impact and temperature resistant rubber that is textured for easy handling. It is traditionally orange, though there is no official rules covering the coloration. While there are no rules prohibiting it, and its weight and size would make it a decent weapon, the ball is rarely used to attack other players.

B. Goals: The Goals are constructed in a roughly half dome shape, using two half circular frames that meet at a 90 degree angle, with a net stretched between them at the back to stop the ball. The frames are constructed of high grade steel and the net of Kevlar or steel cable. The Goals are only staked down onto the field, allowing them to come loose rather then breaking in case of a hard collision, and also allowing the entire Goal to be removed and replaced quickly if it is damaged. Play is suspended any time a goal needs to be replaced.

C. Uniforms: The Uniforms are made of spun Kevlar and consist of a tank top and shorts with the team colors. A player's name and number are printed on the back of the top and the team logo is printed across the front. Shoes, gloves, knee and elbow pads are all optional. No other protective gear is allowed.

III. Participants: A Wreckball game is made up of almost entirely Pokegirls, with only two humans, the coaches, having any direct say in the game at all.

A. Neutral parties

1. Referees: There are five Referees in a game of Wreckball. The Score Refs are located just behind the Goals. The Side Refs are located on either side of the width of the field. The Over Ref is located above the field, which places the special qualification that the Over Ref must be able to fly or hover for an extended period of time. The Over Ref can over ride any of the other Refs, though any three of the other Refs can over ride the Over Ref.

2. Guardians: The Guardians are a group of Pokegirls whose duty is to ensure the safety of the crowd. The number of Guardians varies with the size of the stadium, though 6 is the average. The Guardians are made up of Pokegirls with the ability to generate and maintain protective fields/screens/barriers, and are used to make quick patches to any damage to the protective barrier between the field and the stands.

3. Enforcers: While rarely found in amateur or semi-pro games, all professional games are required to have at least 10 enforcers, whose job it is to physically restore order if it becomes necessary. Play is suspended at any point that the intervention of the Enforcers becomes necessary, and can result in a forfeit for the team that made such intervention necessary.

4. Deliberator: All Enforcer groups are required to have at least one Deliberator, which is a psychic type Pokegirl who is used to sort out conflicting issues if it is unclear just who necessitated the intervention of the Enforcers, as well as determining intent in the 2 Extreme Fouls.

B. Teams: Each Wreckball team has 11 players, 1 coach, and 1 Shield

1. Players

a. Goalie: The Goalie defends her team's goal. She is restricted to the 100 yard area of her team's Scoring Zone and may not leave this area. She may not attack the opposing team or be attacked herself, but is free to use any powers and abilities to stop the ball itself, with the exception of creating any barriers, screens, or force shields that take up an area bigger than the Goalie herself does and that is not projected directly in front of the Goalie. There is no general type of Pokegirl that seems to be preferred for this position.

b. Defensive Line: The DL is made up of 3 Pokegirls whose job it is to stop the other team from getting into position to score a goal. Like the Goalie, they are restricted to the 100 yards of their team's Scoring Zone. However unlike the Goalie, they are free to attack any of the opposing team members, but only once they have entered the Scoring Zone. They are free to use any power or ability to accomplish this. Given the relatively little running they must do, and that they are the only players aside from the Striker who may used ranged attacks, the DL is often made up of Caster type Pokegirls

c. Midfielders: The MF is made up of 3 Pokegirls who attempt to control the Playing Zone. They may not enter either Scoring Zones or interact with any opposing team players outside of the Playing Zone. They are free to attack any opposing team players in the Playing Zone, but may not do so with any ranged powers or abilities. There is no general type of Pokegirl that seems to be preferred for this position.

d. Offensive line: The OL is made up of 3 Pokegirls whose job is to score points by taking the ball into the opposing team's Scoring Zone and making a goal. The OL may not enter their own team's Scoring Zone, or interact with any opposing team members within their team's Scoring Zone. They are free however to be in either the Playing Zone or opposing team's Scoring Zone, and may attack any opposing team members there, but may not do so with any ranged powers or abilities. Give the large area they play in, and the fact that they will bear the brunt of the opposing team's defense, the OL is typically made up of high stamina, high durability, or high speed Pokegirls.

e. Striker: The Striker is usually the team's best player, and is the team's Alpha. She has the unique ability to be anywhere on the field and attack any member of the opposing team, except the Goalie. When within her own team's Scoring Zone she may use ranged powers or abilities, but not when she is in the Playing Zone or opposing team's Scoring Zone. In effect, the Striker can play any position, and is subject to the special rules of whichever position she is filling at the time.

2. Coach: The only human on the team, the Coach must remain outside the boundaries of the field at all times during play. The Coach manages the team, giving advice and putting together plays for the team. He/she is also the only person who may call for a time out, which each team gets 2 of per half. The Coach is also the only person who may recall an injured player for healing, using the injured player's pokeball. Given the relatively short range of a pokeball's capture beam, this can lead to a Coach doing nearly as much running as the Players, which is why there are few middle aged Coaches, and no fat ones.

3. Shield: The Shield's job is to protect the Coach, as he/she is within the protective barrier, often times right up at the edge of the field itself. As the Coach is always human, and thus much less durable then the players, the Shield is necessary to prevent to Coach from being accidentally taken out of the game by injury or death. Note that any deliberate attack against a Coach by a player will not only result in the player's immediate expulsion from the game, a life time ban on ever playing again, and possibly criminal charges. However, accidents do happen, and the Shield is there to prevent these accidents from harming the Coach. Shields are almost always Pokegirls who can created energy barriers/force fields, and most start their careers as Guardians.

IV. Game Play

The game begins with a coin toss by the Over Ref, with the home team's Striker making the call. The team winning the toss chooses which side will receive the ball first.

Play starts with each team on their side of the field, with the Striker, Offensive line, and Midfielders lined up on the edge of their Scoring Zone. Whichever team is to receive the ball has it kicked or passed to them by the opposing team's Striker. The ball may not be kicked or passed outside of the Playing field during this opening play, if it is, then play is suspended and the offensive team may begin positioned at midfield with the ball already in their possession, while the defensive team must restart at the edge of their Scoring Zone. Until the offensive team has possession of the ball first, the defensive team may not touch it or attack the offensive team, and the offensive team may not attack the defensive team.

Play centers around the offensive team's OL or Striker attempting to take the ball out of the Playing Zone and into the opposing team's Scoring Zone and making a goal. The offensive team's MF attempt to assist the OL and Striker, while the opposing team's MF, OL, and Striker attempt to stop them and gain possession of the ball. If they manage to take the ball into the Scoring Zone, then the opposing team's Defensive line and Striker must attempt to keep them from the goal while trying to gain possession of the ball. If they manage to get to the goal, then the last line of defense is the Goalie, who may only interact with the ball. Note that while the Goalie may not be directly attacked herself, it is acceptable to use powers or abilities to empower a shot so that the Goalie can not stop it, and if she is injured in this way it is a legal play. In short, the ball itself may be used as a weapon against the Goalie. On a successful goal, the Goalie collects the ball and passes it to any of her team mates. Each goal is worth a point.

Play does not stop due to injuries, and most players will continue to play as long as they are physical able to. The Coach may at any time recall a player on his/her team with the pokegirl's pokeball, as long as he/she can do so without stepping onto the field. The Coach and his/her shield are free to move about the edge of the field, and may not interfere with the opposing team's Coach or Shield. Each team is provided a healing machine, and may only use their own. The machines have been altered so that they will only remove injuries, not fatigue. A typical cycle can last from a few seconds to a few minutes depending on the injury.

All players must remain within the boundaries of the field. Any player purposely leaving the field will cause a foul, but being forced off the field will not, as long as the player returns to the field as soon as she is able to. If the ball leaves the field, either on its on or in the possession of a player, play will stop and the ball will switch side, with the Striker of the team receiving control throwing the ball back into play from the sideline.

The game lasts for 4 quarters which are 15 minutes long. There is a 5 minute rest period after the first and third quarters, and a 30 minute half time after the second quarter. Each team has 2 time outs per half, each of which is 2 minutes long. In the event of a tie, the game will go into overtime, with the first team to score winning.

V. Additional rules and fouls

Teleportation, Incorporealness, Flight, Borrowing, or entirely mental psychic attacks are illegal.

Attacking the Goalie or any player outside of a zone that a player is allowed to play in is illegal.

Ranged attacks made by a player who is not permitted to do so is illegal.

Attacking the ball, the field, or the goals is illegal, with the exception of the Goalie being able to attack the ball to prevent it from scoring. However the Goalie may not deliberately attempt to destroy the ball, merely divert it.

Any player that is not on her feet is considered out of play. While out of play, the player may not be attacked, nor can she attack the opposing team. She may not interact with the ball, nor deliberately attempt to interfere with play. She may not move about the field, and is required to stand back upright as soon as possible. If she is too injured to get up, she is allowed to move about the field, but only for the purpose of making it easier for her coach to recall her for healing.

Any player committing a foul will score a point for the opposing team.

Extreme Fouls

Purposely attacking a Coach or the audience will result in the immediate and permanent expulsion of the offending player from the sport, as well as potential criminal charges. If a player appears to break this rule, play will be immediately suspended and the Deliberator will be summoned to determine if the attack was intentional. Note that a mock attack, an attack against the Coach or audience that the player knows will not make it through the protective barriers, will still be considered a full and purposeful attack, and punished as such.

Attacking another player with the intent to cause them permanent injury or kill them will result in the immediate and permanent expulsion of the offending player from the sport, as well as potential criminal charges. If a player appears to break this rule, play will be immediately suspended and the Deliberator will be summoned to determine if the attack was intentional.

==================================
Editor's Notes

1) These rules are entirely the property of Lighthawk.
2) These are a variation on the traditional wreckball rules. Just like there are different versions of football or rugby depending on where you are in the world this is a variation of wreckball.
3) I encourage anyone who wants to write for the Orange League to do so. I ask that any such works conform to this primer.
4) Questions, comments, general bitching, contact me at bsmartfanfic@yahoo.com I am typically fairly good at responding, I am not a people person however so check your feelings at the inbox.

Version Changes
1.0 Initial Version