Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction / Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Dragon Ball Legacy ❯ Part 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Dragon Ball: Legacy


The plane dropped lower and lover over the snow plane still moving at excess of two hundred miles an hour, it's engines screaming in protest as they faltered and failed. It's belly began to light scrape the larger drift crests as it passed over the ground blasting the fine powder about like dust in a tornado, the plane rocking and shaking violently in the air. Then suddenly it was over as the nose dipped beyond recovery ploughing into the largest drift. The planes own momentum pivoted the whole machine up and over twisting and contorting the metal into unnatural shapes before finally in a burst of fire and sound it snapped once, twice then finally a thousand pieces blasted in all directions each varying in size, some where thrown into the sky to rain down like tiny meteors others were plunged deep into the snow and further into the perma-frost beneath and the rest scattered across the now tarnished snow cast with an unearthly orange light by the still burning wreckage.

For a moment all seemed still save the flicker of flames over the gentle mountainside but something was moving for among the burning wreckage, a large brown furry creature walking on it's hind legs stood surveying the carnage. Two keen black eyes took in the scene then turned to stare up the mountain in anticipation of something and there reflecting the moon light, the snow seemed to glimmer and shine as it began to move, slowly at first but the creature knew that little movement would soon become a tidal wave that would sweep away everything in it's path without mercy. It turned to leave but a tiny sound caught its attention. A small muffled crying. The figure threw back the hood of it's massive coat and lifted his ears to the air as he walked quickly among the debris.

The man had oriental features but was tall and muscular so the animal fur coat gripped him like a second skin. He stopped as he saw a small section of seating still intact a short way off and clearly the source of the crying. Incredulously he ran forwards a quick glance up the mountain telling him his time was short. It was only two rows of seating, three chairs abreast from the centre isle but somehow they had survived and between them, apparently, so had something else. Between the two rows, a baby cot had been jammed and clothing piled all round. A shirt had been used to tie the baby in the cot, and scarves the cot to the seat struts and amazingly snuggled in his den among the destruction the baby was alive.

The fur coated man could feel the mountain vibrate beneath him now as the vast wall of snow closed in behind him but he knew he could not leave the infant there, what person could? So pulling the child from the cot he pulled it close to his fur coat and began to run across the snow. After a few steps he jumped launching himself into the air and the figure shot through the sky high above the snow field. Looking down as he hovered in the air he saw the snow rush over the wreckage washing the slope clean leaving fresh, white, pure powder where only a half second before there had been death and destruction. With a grave face he turned and drifted towards a steep outcrop of rock several miles away then as he'd almost reached it, arching his trajectory downwards, disappearing into the shadows under the overhang.


// 16 years later //


Three Ford Explorers moved slowly over the snow field in single file, the blue 4x4's a stark contrast against the brilliant whiteness around. Suddenly the lead jeep listed downward on its front wheels the grill dipping into the snow before it pulled to a halt. The following vehicles pulled up along side and their engines died. James Winters flung open his door and jumped from the injured 4x4 cursing as the snow rose above his knees. He was medium build, in his mid forties with once black hair now streaked with grey and dressed in the most expensive winter gear you could buy. He cursed again as he scrapped the snow away from the deflated left tyre.

You got a problem James? A second man wearing equally expensive winter clothes but slighter and bald jumped from the third jeep and approached slowly.

Yeah, puncture. I need to change it out, James stood, and walked to the back of the jeep to fetch the jack. Can you help me get the spear off Alec?

Sure. The second man said slightly puzzled as he joined his friend. Behind them two other men, each wearing brightly coloured ski cloths with mountain search written across the back, were talking with the two women, who like their husbands were dressed in the best winter clothing.

You know Mrs Winters, after sixteen years it's unlikely we'll find anything. I mean they never found anything at the time. The man turned to his friend for backup.

I'm afraid it's true. Any wreckage will have been buried by each years fresh snow. Lucy Winters, a tall natural blond who in her youth would have been truly beautiful turned from gazing at the endless ice plains and frowned.

I am aware but we finally have the co-ordinates from the airline and we can at least come to pay our respects. My brother and sister in law were on that plane as was my nephew, I need to do this." Her friend put an arm round her and gave a sympathetic sigh as the two mountain rescue men shared a look. As silly as it seemed to them, they were being paid good money to be here so they wouldn't complain.

Meanwhile the two men had removed the damaged wheel and were screwing in the last of the nuts to hold the new one in place.

Ok, that should do it. Lower it down. Alec turned the crank on the jack until it moved free, then removed the large steel plate used to rest it against in the snow. Alec turned to his friend, as he put the jack back in the trunk finally able to voice his confusion..

So what punctured it up here? I mean it's not like you'll find a loose nail left carelessly about. James pulled the wheel upright and rotated it as best he could till a large and jagged shard of metal sticking through the tires inner wall was visible. James turned pale.

Oh my God.

What is it? Alec said running to his friend, stopping when he saw what had so shocked him. Oh shit. James recovered first and looked over at the small group of people by the second jeep as he tried to find his voice.

I think you should see this. The group, curious, approached the two men crouching over a flat tire in the middle of nowhere. Before they even reached them, James had darted up and begun scrambling around in the snow digging every so often then moving to a new location. The second woman, Judy Burns looked first at her husband, her face a mask of confusion and surprise.

So we've found it Alec. She looked back at the metal shard, printed down the side in small letters was, Fasten seatbelts duri The rest was too blackened with soot to be read. From behind them James let out a sudden cry and drew his hand from the snow. A few drops of blood fell onto the snow staining it red as he cradled his figures in a tissue. But at the bottom of the small hole he'd dug was another, larger piece of metal, just as scorched and jagged but reaching deeper into the ground. in a second all four men were digging and scrapping the snow away, their jackets now wrapped round their hands for protection and after a few minutes hard work a shape became clear. It was an engine, with the flight number clearly visible down it's side.

So this is it. The crash site. Alec looked around. James stared at the horizon.

Yeah." James replied, his voice distant and thoughtful. "I guess that settles it. No one could have survived. No one could live up here for long. There was a long pause. Then the blond woman spoke up. Her voice was full of surprise and shock.

What about them. She pointed into the distance. The sun had moved and now shone between two mountain peaks creating a narrow stream of light that illuminated an area beneath a large overhang of rocks a few miles away that previously had been hidden in shadow and people were clearly moving about there. One of the guides turned to look where the woman was pointing, instantly he felt a strange chill run down his back.

What the hell! I didn't think there was anyone supposed to be living up here? His friend turned to and his mouth dropped open.

It can only be a few miles. Maybe they might know if anyone survived. Lucy piped up, the others looked at her not knowing what to say.

It's worth a try. Alec said finally clapping his friend on the back. So with a new vigour after the sad shock of discovering the wreckage, they hurried back to the vehicles and within a minute the procession had started off again but this time heading for the strange building hidden on the mountain side as a thousand possibilities and a thousand more questions raced through each persons mind.

***

It had been a strange, almost surreal journey across the snow plain and down into the hidden valley and each member of the party was full of questions and hope but their curiosity only seemed to lengthen the trip. Finally the group reached the base of the cliff and the three Explorers pulled to a halt in front of what appeared to be a strange temple built into the side of the cliff. The entrance itself although almost Incan or Mayan in design was carved from the rock face and seemed ancient though well preserved and clearly purposefully maintained. More shocking still were the small gardens of flourishing flowers, vegetables and herbs of types that would never normally grow in such an inhospitable environment. The people they'd seen earlier however had disappeared except for one old man who stood on the step by the huge ornate doors like a host awaiting his guests. The old man leaned on a long wooden staff smiled as the stunned group of people stepped from the vehicles and stared in wonder at the beautiful temple and gardens, without a word for they were too shocked and awed at the size and strangeness of it all. Looking up James noticed how far back from the cliff edge the base actually sat and realised that no satellite pictures would ever pick this up. He doubted even if the place could ever be seen at all except for in that one moment when the light shone between the twin peaks on the horizon, the tiny v in an otherwise impenetrable wall of rock, soil and ice. It all seemed so alien to him. At that moment he was startled by the voice of the old man which seemed surprising strong as it reverberated around them.

We've been waiting for you. They all looked at the man too confused to question his statement.

You speak English? Alec said after a pause. The mans smile widened showing perfect teeth, then he spoke again.

I speak all languages. Please follow me. Ah not you two. The stranger said pointing at the mountain rescue men then with the same finger beckoned at the others and turned to enter the building. As he turned James was almost positive he's seen the mans brown fur belt unfurl slightly and tighten itself again but shook the idea out of his head and then, seeing no alternative lead the others inside the temple.

Inside, they found themselves in an enormous chamber carved out of the rock with great pillars of uncut rock rising into the distant sealing. Their footsteps echoed as the trudged slowly through what seemed like a dream invented construction till finally they reached the far end where a single man, looking far more ancient than any man any of them had ever seen sat cross-legged on the floor, his eyes closed as if in sleep yet his body moving just noticeably as he breathed.

I think he's asleep. Lucy whispered to her James as she pressed closer to him. She'd grabbed his hand the moment they'd entered the temple, for James she knew it was like his younger days, when he, Alec and Mark, her lost brother, had gone adventuring across the world. From the deep jungles of Peru to the deserts of Africa while the wives had visited health clubs and had their kind of fun. But even so she knew James was nervous for he squeezed her hand as hard as she squeezed his for no one had seen such a site in thousands of years.

I am not asleep, I am meditating. At least I was. He looked up, opening his eyes. Two crystal blue pools stared at them. His body may have appeared ancient, but his eyes looked as young as the new fallen snow outside. So you finally came for him. The ancient man smiled to reveal, like the other man a set of immaculate teeth and a disarmingly friendly smile. James took half a step forward almost bowing as he did.

Come for who? We've been looking The old man cut him off.

The plane crash, I know. As for who. Your nephew of course. The man chuckled quietly. The others seemed stunned into silence again.

You mean, there were survivors!? Judy asked timidly.

Just one. A small child. Your nephew. The fates work in mysterious ways, Kami knows why but now you're here to take him home, just as it was meant to be.

Um, who's Kami and how do you know he's our nephew. He could be anyone. The old man, raised his hand and motioned. From the darkness behind him, a boy emerged. He was tall and muscular. His face was kind, yet had the look of one who has faced much hardship both mental and physical. His black hair reached down past his shoulders except for one long dyed red streak of hair which ran from his left temple almost to his waist where it tapered off. He looked at the strangers with no emotion but Lucy couldn't help but let out a little squeak as she gripped James' hand until her knuckles were white.

James his face, he's the spitting image of Mark when he was a boy.

Yes. James looked shocked. He remembered her brother well, even though it had been sixteen years they had grown up together James, Mark, Alec, Lucy and Maria and as they'd grown they grew closer. It was almost like a fairy tail but James fell in love with Mark's sister Lucy and so Mark had fallen for Maria, James' own sister. They'd even had a double wedding with Alec as their best man then returning the favour when Alec had married Judy several years later.

But now no one knew what to do or think. After sixteen years they'd finally come to settle the ghosts of the past only to have one spring back to life in front of them.

Maxwell. The last time I saw you, you were just a baby. You've grown so much. James finally managed to say, rather feebly he knew but it was all he could say. So he smiled and tried to look as friendly as possible but the boy just looked at the old man.

Are they talking to me?

Yes my boy. That would be the name your parents gave you. The old man spoke not like a father to a boy but more like a teacher imparting an important fact to a student. The boy looked at the strangers who seemed so familiar with the missing part of his life, the part he'd never known.

I'm James Winters, and this is Lucy my wife. We're your uncle and aunt. We've been looking for you the last sixteen years. The boy looked more closely at the two people, the tall blond woman who seemed kindly if a lightly haughty in her stance, and the man who seemed wise in a way the boy hadn't encountered before. Someone who knew his past and knew of the world outside the temple but in his heart he had no idea who these people were and felt afraid of what was to come. The old man turned to him.

It's okay my boy. They speak the truth. They are here to take you home at last. The boys head snapped round to face the old man.

But I don't wish to leave.

You've always know this day would come. You've lived here long enough. Your training is complete. It's time for you to return to your real life.

But master

NO! It has been settled, as it was since I first brought you here. The boy hung his head. Now go, prepare your belongings and say farewell to your brothers and sisters.

Yes master. The boy turned and left with a resolute air James' had never seen demonstrated by someone so young. It was the look of someone walking willingly to their death because they knew it was time.

Brothers. Sisters? There are more? Alec stepped forward looking confused. Everything was going to fast for him. He and his wife, had agreed to help their friends, but now strange things were happening and far to quickly to understand.

I refer to the other members of the Z.

The what?

The Z. We are an order descended from the first Z. The strongest fighters in the world that existed in the first age. This was before the Earth shifted orbit. Most of civilisation was destroyed, what remained had to rebuild it's self over thousands of years. Can you imagine one day an advanced culture, greater even then the one you know today, the next a semi prehistoric race left to survive on their wits and muscles. Yet some survived and carried on just as humans always have and slowly they rebuilt and rediscovered what they had forgotten, so we have waited for all these millennia for the day the world is ready to accept us again. I am Prince of the Z. Last descendant of Prince Vegita.

So who's king? Judy said looking round as if she expected a great royal figure to emerge from the walls around her.

There is no king. Prince is simply the term applied to the most powerful person. It is all part of our history. The boy reappeared, carrying a small bag made of animal skin, he looked truly miserable.

Hey there, you should be happy. You get to come with us now. We live in a big house in California. You'll love it there. Lots of land to play, and we're very well off, so you'll be able to have anything you want. Lucy looked at him, and smiled, not sure if she should try to hug him yet or not.

Now boy, have you said your fair wells?

All but one master. The old man stood. He was surprisingly well built, and appeared far more healthy when standing. He stood opposite the boy, and bowed. Thank you for your years of teaching master. I will miss you greatly. They straitened.

I think we'll see each other again sometime you know. And remember to always practice what you've learned here. But remember the world isn't really ready for it yet. So keep it to yourself. The old man winked at the boy, who smiled back. His face lighting up for a moment.

Good bye. He turned to the group of people, and took a deep breath. Ok, shall we go. He headed down the hall, followed by his new family. On the step, he took a last look at the temple that had been his home, nearly all his life. He'd never know anything else. It was going to be really strange. He turned and got into the lead jeep after James had opened the door for him, before they climbed in themselves.

The two mountain rescue men noticed the strange extra member of the party and turned to Alec as he passed.

"Who's the kid?" One of them asked.

"You won't believe it. But he's their Nephew, the kid was rescued apparently. It's just unbelievable."

"Wow. There never going to believe this at the base." The two men then got into their 4x4 as Alec and Judy headed for theirs and soon the party was rolling again but now they were heading back to the village below the mountain before they headed for the airport and then home, though they new for the boy it was going to be a new and strange experience. Lucy turned in her chair to face him.

So what would you like us to call you. He looked at her puzzled.

What did you say my name was?

Maxwell. Maxwell Winters. He smiled.

Max is fine. She smiled.

Ok Max. I think you'll enjoy living with us you know. She turned in her seat again as the Ford Explorer fought its way out of the valley and back across the ice planes.

***

Max awoke to find himself in unfamiliar surroundings staring at a ceiling he didn't know, until the last couple of days came flooding back. The journey across a country he'd lived in all the life he'd known but never seen beyond the temple mountain range, Nepal James had called it. He remembered the airport vividly bustling with a thousand people acting like nothing he'd seen before and then the flight home on the enormous Aeroplane. His new guardians had been worried about how he'd react but he didn't care. Though he couldn't tell them he'd flown hundreds of times under the instruction of his trainers. Of course he hadn't been in a plane when doing it but under his own power but it made little difference to him for he knew now that whatever happened, he could cope with it. Then he remembered the awe he'd felt seeing his new home for the first time. The enormous house, with it's ground spreading out so far around and off in the distance the sea just visible but it had been late and they'd travelled all day and now he was missing the temple so he'd simple gone to bed.

Max sat up slowly and unsure but there was no one around so he moved into his meditation position and closed his eyes. He concentrated on his ki letting it lift his body into the air and holding there floating on nothing a few feet above the bed. It was only a few minutes till he sensed someone coming and let his body drift back to the bed. A young woman entered carrying a breakfast tray.

Oh good, your awake. I'm Natasha, one of the maids here. It's nice to meet you. She smiled kindly at him.

It's nice to met you to. He said inclining his head a little. She set the breakfast tray down on a small table.

Just a little something. I thought you'd probably be hungry. I hope you like it. I don't know what your used to eating. When your done. Just give a ring. The tailors coming at twelve to fit you for your new clothes.

The who?

The tailor dummy. She laughed. He'll take your measurements and then make you some nice new clothes. She smiled at him again, and left the room. Enjoy. She called back to him. He went to examine the food. Sausages were the only thing he recognised, but it all smelt good, and tasted even better.

Maybe it won't so bad. He said to him self.

What won't? He spun round to see a young girl of about seventeen in the door. She was already dressed in some brightly colour clothes made of material Max didn't recognise.

Oh nothing. Who are you? Max said round a mouthful of black pudding.

Rebecca, though everyone calls me Becky, I'm your cousin. She grinned. Mom and Dad are out doing, well parents stuff but I'm just going down to the gym. Feel free to come and join me when you done. It's in the building across the courtyard, you must have seen it when you came in last night. She turned and left. Max shook his head in bewilderment as he dug into his breakfast again wondering briefly what a jim was.

***

Max, now dressed in the trousers and shirt his Uncle and Aunt had bought him at the Airport sat on a bench in the extravagantly stocked gym and watched his cousin vent her anger. She was punching the hell out of a large leather bag, sweat poring off her. She ended her vent of anger with a final kick to the bag, and then stood back to get her breath back. She looked at him.

You want a go? She panted.

No thanks. I'd probably break it. Max replied indifferently and Becky frowned.

Huh? You don't look that strong little cousin. Besides, they can always be replaced. She laughed. He sighed and stood up. He approached the bag, and took up a stance in front of it. Hey, don't you want the gloves?

No thanks. His left fist shot out faster than Becky could see and the punch bag exploded in a cloud of stuffing. Max pulled his hand back through the hole he'd made. See. Becky's eyes almost popped out of her head.

How? How did you do that? That's not possible.

Sixteen years of the most gruelling physical and mental training a human body can take and you'd be surprised what a person can do. Like I said, I'm way to strong to use this stuff. He reached out and gripped one of the weight lifting machines and picked it up of the floor. He knew he was showing off a bit and that could be dangerous but there was something about this girl, he felt he could trust her.

Wow. There gonna love you on the baseball team. He dropped the machine. It crashed to the floor, denting the concrete.

Baseball team?

Yeah. Well if your gonna go to school, surly you'll want to join the sports clubs.

SCHOOL! He sounded almost panicked. I can't go to school. There'll be loads of people.

So?

But, I'm I'm not ready.

Sure you are. I'll be their. Common, the tailor will be here in a minute and if I let Mom n Pops pick out your clothes you really won't be able to go to school and I've got to have a shower first."

What should I do?

Go have a look round. Go check out the pool, the games room. Whatever. Just don't get lost.

What do you mean, pool? Becky stopped and looked at him.

You don't know what a swimming pool is. Max shook his head. A swimming pool. It's like a big pond of water, you can swim in.

Oh, like a bath?

Yeah, sort of. But bigger. Look, I'll tell you what I'll just take you to the lounge, then I'll show you round later. Ok?"

Thanks.

***