Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction / Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Dragon Ball Legacy ❯ Part 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Max stood in front of the class. He was dressed in black baggies and a white t-shirt under a leather and swade sports jacket. His cousin had picked most of his clothes when the tailor had arrived, then taken him shopping afterwards for some more casual wear and to introduce him to California which had blown him away. He snapped back to reality as the teacher addressed the class.

"Ok, this is Maxwell Winters."

"Max." He corrected. The teacher looked a little annoyed.

"Max Winters. He's a new student starting here. Why don't you tell everyone about yourself Max."

"Well. When I was less than a year old, the plain I an my parents were on, crashed in the Himalayas. I was the only survivor. Luckily I was found by a man, who belonged to an order of monks called the Z. Since then I was raised as one of them in their ways. Though I was always told someone would come for me one day. So here I am." The room was quite. Some whisperings broke out. Most discussing whether his story was true. One girl in the back row giggled, and prodded the guy next to her.

"Ok. If you would like to take a seat. We'll begin with maths." Max nodded at the teacher and looked for an empty place. The girl who'd giggled waved a hand, and pointed to an empty seat next to her. He shrugged and went to the seat.

"Thanks."

"No problem. I'm Jemma. Your Becky's cousin aren't you? She said you'd be coming here and asked me to keep an eye on you."

"Huh?"

"Oh don't worry. This is Tim." She flicked her thumb over he shoulder pointing to a guy with brown, untidy hair who was rubbing his arm where she'd poked it. He waved. Max smiled back.

"You can talk after classes." The teacher looked at them as he passed out a maths test. "As your new, you don't need to worry about this Max. But I'd like you to do it, so I can judge your academic ability." He finished passing out the tests. "Ok begin." Max eyes scanned over the test, he laughed and began filling in all the answers. Jemma looked at him with astonishment. He was on the fourth page after a minute. She went back to her test. Chewing her pen lid as she tried to work out the first problem.

After a few minutes, Max put down his pen and leant back in his chair. The teacher looked up at him annoyed.

"Mr Winters, I would like you to attempt the test please, even if the marks aren't important."

"I've finished it." Max relied holding the sheaf of papers up for the teacher to see. Everyone stopped and turned to look at him. He looked at their faces confused. Most weren't passed the second page.

"Nonsense. " The teacher came over and looked at his paper. He ran his pen down the pages. "My God. Their all right too." Whispers went round the class. Nerd got mentioned a few times. Max just sat looking indifferent. "Ok, come with me, I want to see just how good you are." He lead Max to the front of the class, and drew a box of papers from a draw. The rest of the class went back to their tests, except for Jemma, who watched Max with interest. "Ok, try this one. It's a top level test for senior students." Max scanned the test and began filling it in. Question after question. The teacher just boggled at him.

"There you go." He handed over the completed test. The teacher checked it.

"All right. Wow. Ok, so your good with numbers, what about other things. Languages."

"I am fluent in over thirty world dialects." People were starting to abandon their tests, to watch the show.

"Science?"

"Ah, there, I'm not too sure. I am aware of most of the theory, but no practical work." He grinned to himself, knowing he that he could do things that made physics, biology and chemistry take a flying leap.

"Hmm. Well maybe there's still something we can teach you then. You can go back to your seat now." Max got up, and returned to his seat. Followed by all the eyes in the room.

***

Once the classes were over, Max followed Jemma and Tim out of the room. Tim turned to Max.

"So what are you, a genius or something."

"No. I just find that all very easy after the intense tutoring I used to get." Max said shrugging. A deep voice came from behind Max.

"You didn't impress anyone you know." Max turned. A tall, muscular boy in a football team jacket stood behind him, flanked by two friends.

"Oh no, go away Jay." Tim looked annoyed at the boy.

"Shut up, I want to have a talk with my friend here." Jay approached Max. He was a good head taller than Max who was almost six foot himself. "Don't go trying to get to cosy around here my man. This is my school."

"Your school!" Max laughed loudly, causing everyone to look at him. "Don't be stupid." Jay put a hand on Max's shoulder.

"You trying to make a fool out of me. Cos if you are. Your gonna be in trouble." Jemma could see where this was going, reached out to Max. He brushed her away.

"You couldn't make trouble if you tried so get your hand off me." Jay's smile disappeared.

"You should have listened to your friend. He suddenly pushed hard against Max's shoulder to force him against the lockers. Max didn't budge. Jay looked at him with surprise. The next thing he new, Max had lifted him off his feet and was holding him high in the air with his right arm. At this moment, Becky walked round the corner and saw the mass of stunned people staring up at Jay Sullivan, the king of the school hoisted up high by an arm just visible above the crowd of heads. She knew at once who's arm it was.

"Oh shit. Max put him down." She ran threw the frozen people and reached Max as he dropped Jay to the ground. He looked at him squarely leaving Jay looking like a dear caught in headlights.

"You want to mess with me again. Go ahead and try." Max whispered, then turned and walked off down the corridor. Jay grabbed a rolled up ball of paper laying on the floor and hurled it straight for the centre of Max' head. Without turning, he reached back and caught it before it hit his head and dropped it in a waste bin as he passed it. Once out the door. The halls exploded with noise, as people talked about what they'd just seen. Jemma turned to Becky.

"He's amazing." Becky looked at Jemma grinning and blushing slightly from ear to ear.

"He's certainly something else." She agreed. "Hey, you and Tim wanna come round this afternoon? Phil's already coming."

"Sure." Both Tim and Jemma chorused.

"He's single, right?" Jemma said biting her lower lip coyly.

"Not yet Jemma. he's only just got here." Becky scowled.

***

Becky, Jemma, Tim and Phil, a dark haired, intense eyed boy, sat by the pool. Phil looked at Tim.

"And he actually lifted him of the ground?" He was saying.

"Yeah, like he didn't weigh anything."

"You should see what he did to the punch bag in the gym. He put his fist through it when I dared him to hit it. Then he lifted of one the machines one handed. Fuck knows how strong he his. He could probable knock the house down in one blow."

"Probably." A cheery voice called from behind them. Max entered wearing oversized swimming trunks. "Wow the, err, pool, is huge." Becky looked at him. Something was different. It tweaked.

"What have you done to your hair."

"I had it cut." It now very short and all spiked up. He dropped the towel he was carrying on a chair and walked to the edge of the pool. Except he didn't stop. "Oh well, might as well give them a surprise." He muttered. He walked out over the pool. His feet brushing the waters surface. He looked at Becky and her friends. They'd turned white. He laughed. The water below him seemed to be pushed out slightly forming a crater, he released his ki and dropped below the pool surface.

His head broke the surface again followed by his chest and legs locked in the lotus position, his body sat on the waters surface a stupid grin on his face. Jemma fainted only caught at the last minute by Phil who laid her on one of the deck chairs. Max' face changed to one of concern, he stood up and walked off the pool to Jemma's side.

"Is she ok, I didn't mean to frighten her like that." Max scanned the shocked faces of the others. A small moan from Jemma indicated she was coming round, and their attention all returned to her. Jemma's eyes flicked opened and locked with Max's. Her voice was quite.

"That was so cool." Tim, Phil, Max and Becky's faces froze for a second in embarrassed unbelieving shock.

"You really can be a fool sometimes Jemma". Tim said. She sat up.

"Yeah. Hey!." She gave Tim a poke in the ribs, then turned to look at Max, who was smirking at Tim who was clearly trying to hid the true amount of pain he was actually in. "It was cool though. How the hell did you do that."

"That, that was nothing. If I turn up the power a bit I can lift off the ground completely."

"You mean, you can fly?" Phil made a motion with his hand to illustrate the point.

"Yes. It's actually really quite easy to do, if you know how. Though you do need higher than average Ki, otherwise, you just don't have the energy to control your movement."

"Ki?" Jemma gave a confused glance at Becky.

"You could call it Spirit energy. Oriental legends speak of a power that resides in every living thing, and which can be used to grant a person super human abilities. It's a martial arts thing." Becky raised an eyebrow at Max as she spoke.

"I'm impressed. You know of Ki." Max smiled at Becky.

"I did a project on ancient civilisations last year. I didn't think any of it was true though."

"Oh, it's true alright. Ki exists, and in measurable quantities too. Most people, only have a level of about four or five, sometimes less, sometimes a little more. Martial artist and elite athletes usually have a range up towards nine. I think the strongest man in the world, in you're world I mean has a ki of about eleven or twelve. I say strongest, that's compared to regular people. People like me the Ki enhanced as we call ourselves, basically have an unlimited level to which we can rise, but it takes time and training. Mine is about six, maybe seven hundred. If I really get angry and push it, I can hit nine hundred. The prince of the Z has a level in the ten to twelve thousand range though it's said our ancestors levels reach the hundreds of millions. The could have destroyed the planet just by clearing their throat."

"Can you teach us, to do that?" Phil looked hopefully at Max, who frowned.

"I, don't know. Maybe. Your levels are way to low at the moment. If you really want to learn, I'd have to put you on a training routine. I doubt you'd be able to take it. You kind of have to be raised on it, then you don't realise how tough it is." The others all looked shocked at him. Tim finally cleared his throat.

"Well, can you at least, give us a try out. See if we can?" Max sighed and looked at the others.

"Alright, have your swim today and we'll start tomorrow." The others looked happy but apprehensive. For the rest of the afternoon, they splashed about in the pool and just hung out, Max enjoying their carefree company. He wondered if they could really take the kind of training necessary. He'd already decided only to give them the light work out only just to see if they could take it. As they all parted for the evening he told them to be round at the house by six am, in light easy to move in clothes, luckily it would be a Saturday otherwise Becky thought her friends would have managed to `forget' about school.

*

Six o clock and Max surveyed the four people, the boys dressed in sweat pants and muscle shirts, the girls in shorts and a tees, both with their hair tied in pony tails standing in the middle of the open field out the back of his new home. He and Becky had been up late sharing stories of growing up, comparing their different worlds. She had been shocked as she heard his story and began to get an idea of the sort of treatment he'd really be exposed to, but she was determined to make him show her the secrets. The possibilities it would open were endless. Max felt like he was back at the temple, yet now he was the teacher and it helped calm the homesickness, he wondered if that's why he was being so irresponsible but he doubted if they'd ever manage to last the day let alone reach a level where they could actually exercise their energy. He felt sad for a moment, thinking of his friends at the temple, his brothers and sisters. He was glad he was getting on with Becky, he'd been worried how he'd fit in to this new world but it seemed it would be ok.

"Ok, it's quite simple, today I'm just going to strain you as far as possible. This toughens you up. Now once you've all stretched, properly, I want you to drop and do as many push ups as you can." He grinned as he saw the disappointed looks on their faces. "What did you expect?" They all made grumbling noises but did as they were told.

Max watched them for a bit, Becky was already in pretty good shape as was Phil and were soon passing fifty, Tim was a little slower but seemed to be going strong but Jemma had only reached twenty and was already tired though Max was impressed she was still trying to push on. He left them too it while he put in a quick five hundred push ups with his left hand before switching to his right. When he'd finished he looked back at the others. Becky and Phil were still going but the strain was evident though Max could clearly see neither was going to give up first, Tim and Jemma however was struggling much more and finally collapsed. Tim tried to push himself up again but couldn't/

"It's no good. I've got none left."

"That's ok. Now you get up and run. Keep lapping the field till you can't do anymore." Max said helping them to their feet.

"What?" Jemma squeaked.

"You heard. Now get going, this is what you have to do if you want to learn to fly."

"Ok" she sigh and began jogging slowly off round the field, Tim at her heals.

"I said run!" Max shouted. He saw them pick up the pace but only just. He wondered if he was being to hard but he knew they had to really push if they wanted to increase their ki.

"Three hundred and three. No that's it, I'm out. You win Becky." Phil mumbled, his face pressed into the ground his breathing laboured. Becky lay beside him and shook her head, wishing she hadn't as the pulsing blood pounded round even harder.

"I'm out to." Max approached them.

"Up you get, and start running." They groaned as he pulled them to their feet. Becky's arms felt like lead and hurt more than anything she'd ever experienced.

"Come on, your turn to run." He said as he chided them forward. They both groaned but started moving, mustering all their remaining energy into their legs.

"This is too much like P.E." Phil panted. Becky was to tired to respond. Max jogged lightly beside them before running ahead to Tim then Jemma to check up on them and give a few encouraging words. He could remember how unpleasant this exercise was, it was the first one he'd been exposed to he could remember and he'd been three but it was the best way.

Max was beside Tim when he saw Jemma ahead collapse. He was by her side before she'd reached the ground and caught her just in time. Scooping her up in his arms he carried her to the nearby bench and laid her down on it, then he pulled a small glass bottle from his pocket that contained a clear liquid and unscrewing the top, put it to her lips. Unconsciously she accepted a tiny drop of the liquid that splashed over her lips. Instantly her eyes bolted open and she coughed out a long breath.


"Whoa, that's refreshing." She sat up on the bench and moved her arms and legs slowly. "They barely hurt, I feel total rejuvenated." Max heard the others approach from behind and he turned to look at them. All were flushed and panting heavily and each appeared ready to collapse.

"Ok you did good. You can rest now for a minute. Each have a small sip of this." He passed the bottle round to them. Like Jemma they all instantly felt refreshed, most of the pain leaving their bodies and their energy returning.

"What's in that stuff?" Tim asked.

"It's liquidised sensu bean. It has great rejenative properties. It'll cure most wounds save limb loss and really peps you're energy up. I haven't got much though but when you start out it helps." Max explained. Becky nodded.

"You did this everyday?"

"Oh no. This is just kiddie stuff. My normal routine is far more intense. I'll do it later. As for you guys you now have a choice. If you're serious about learning to fly and the other things raising you ki provides then when ever you can, i.e. in every spare moment you have to work out and train like this. Pushing your body as far as it will go and keeping it there till you can go further. As I said I only have a limited supply of this stuff." He help up the glass bottle again for them. "So unless it's necessary you won't be able to use it. That means once I've finished talking we're going down to the gym to really push you. However if you don't think you can take it, then give up now." Max looked round at them all.

"I don't know if I can keep this up." Jemma said nervously.

"Wait Jemma." Phil said. "Think of what it would mean."

"Don't push her, if she can't do it, she can't." Max said with a sly grin.

"No, I can do it. I will do it." Jemma said with determination. "I'll show you I can."

"Good. Shall we go then?" They all nodded.

"I hope were not going to regret this." Becky said.

*

It was three months before Max decided they were ready for the next step. Three months of the same gruelling exercising everyday increased just a little more, plus a strict diet and a medative ritual morning and evening. They weren't complaining however, Max had managed to dilute some of the sensu juice out so it may not have been as potent but it stopped them walking round like croquette hoops after their workouts and they were in peak physical shape and could have easily kicked the ass of any one even in the school. They could easily complete a thousand push ups and five hundred laps of the field plus a variety of other aerobic activities and still have energy to spare. Jay Sullivan hadn't approached Max since his first day but now he just avoid the whole group.

It was a calm sunny Saturday that Max announced they were ready to try the next step. They all sat out on the field as he had them concentrate on their inner selves as they had done in their meditation ritual, then he asked them to focus on the centre point and search for the little spark. Jemma was the first to find hers though it didn't surprise Max. A slow starter she had quickly caught up with the others and even surpassed them in the running. It was clear to Max she would be faster than the others though not as strong. The others soon found theirs, and then Max instructed them in how to draw it out. Soon all four sat with a shimmering white aura expanding round them, the tips of their figures tingling with energy, a wind blowing about them, the grass, clothes and hair blowing about when everything else was still. As they relaxed, their auras faded back into their bodies and the mysterious wind disappeared. They all sighed, tired but happy.

"Wow. That was cool. So what happens next. How do we turn that into vertical movement." Max smirked at Phil, as impatient as always.

"That's the easy part. Just draw that energy into your body and slowly force through your feet. Then it's just a matter of keeping a balance and forcing the energy in the opposite direction to they way you want to go. You'll wanna be standing up." Dutifully they all stood and watched Max as his aura, a dark green in comparison to their white aura flared briefly. He didn't need to do it, but it showed the others what they should do at this early stage. Then he slowly lifted off from the ground floating gracefully upwards as if gravity had just given him a sabbatical. Then let himself drift forwards, then back again. He demonstrated flying to them properly several times over the previous months but that was different from the simple levitating they had to start with.

It took the others a while but eventually they all got to lift a small way off, and Phil and Becky even managed to cover a small distance before loosing their concentration and flopping face first to the ground. However it took them a further two weeks before they learnt to turn their levitation into proper flying and of course a successful landing but once they had it, perfecting it was easy. Max was willing to let them fly to school provided they kept out of sight and he came to pick them up first, they'd all quickly realised the danger of being caught. They'd never be left alone again and the military would probably be after them for 'experimental purposes' as Tim had put it. So they'd agreed, the first flight outside the Winters Estate would be the next mourning then they'd disbanded and headed for their homes.

*


As Max lay on his bed, Becky slowly floated through his door on her back.

"Oh very clever."

"Thanks. I can't wait for tomorrow."

"You know you've got to be careful. Apart from not going to high cos you could fall. You'll show up on radar. Also we have to stay out of sight. This world isn't really ready for five flying high school students." Becky laughed.

"Yeah, I know. And to think I bothered my parents for a motorbike for all those years. This is way better. Max?"

"Yes."

"What's my power level now."

"I don't know exactly, but you've got to be around twenty."

"Is that all? I was hoping it was more." She said disappointed" "Um, how fast can you fly, I reckon I can get up to about fifty miles per hour but I'm not sure."

"Oh, I can break the sound barrier, though I wouldn't not round here anyway, it makes to much noise."

"Fair enough." She drifted down landing at the foot of Max' bed. "You happy here, aren't you?"

"Sure."

"But you miss your old home. That temple."

"Of course I do. Everything I knew is back there."

"Is that why you agreed to teach us. So you'd have something to remind you of it?" She asked but Max stayed silent.

"But you are glad my parents found you."

"Oh yeah. It's been lots of fun meeting you and your friends, even if they are nuts."

"Yeah, well they're flying nuts now, so we'd better keep an eye on them."

"Um Becky. Are you glad I'm here?"

"Yeah. I always thought it would be cool to have a little brother, and then you showed up, even if you are my cousin and not my real brother. You're interesting to be around. Besides, I've got a feeling things are about to get a lot more interesting." Becky climbed up the bed and snuggled next to Max, who for a moment was unsure what to do. Resigned to do nothing he smiled.

"Thanks." Together the fell off to sleep, Becky dreaming of soaring among the clouds and playing practical jokes by dropping things on people and Max dreamt of his days at the Temple, though something in the back of his mind started to nag at him. Something he should be remembering but couldn't.

***