Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction / Initial D Fan Fiction ❯ Initial D: Anything Goes Drift Racing ❯ Mt Furinken's Secret ( Prologue )

[ A - All Readers ]

Initial Drift: Mt Furinken, Anything Goes Drift Racing.

I don't own Ranma or Initial D. But I wish I did. lol.

Timelines of Ranma and Initial D slightly realigned here so Season 7 of Ranma ends just as Takumi starts racing people on Akina.

Prologue: Mt Furinken's Secret

The cool night air played lightly on Ranma's face roughling his hair slightly and soothing the burning skin where Akane's fist had struck. No matter how hard he tried, Ranma just couldn't understand that girl. Why did she have to be so enthusiastically violent with everything? You just couldn't be like that with cooking but every time he tried to tell her she took it as a personal insult and erupted into Mallet Girl.

So Ranma had taken his leave for the evening and gone for a walk hoping to clear his head a little but as usual it hadn't worked. He sat heavily on a rock and looked round, he'd spent so much time thinking he hadn't taken much notice of where he was going. He could see the town below him and he knew he'd started off going south which could only mean he was on Mount Furinken. Ranma was surprised by how far he'd walked and it meant it was going to be a long walk back so he decided to get going, before Akane started getting angry that he was out so late.

It was then a new sound met his ears. A strange squealing screech that seemed to vibrate round the whole mountain, then the sound repeated but a tone lower and then the first squeal again quickly followed by the second again and then silence.

-"What was that?" He said allowed. He strained his ears to hear anything and there faint at first but growing loader each second was a distinct growl, no two distinct growls punctuated by the squealing every so often. All thoughts of home were gone from Ranma's mind now as he began to climb, up the mountain side towards the approaching sounds. Suddenly pushing through the undergrowth he appeared beside a road which to his left trailed of down the mountain and then bent away sharply and to his right bent in a hairpin back up the mountain and instantly his mind made the connection, but he was confused, what could people be doing to make a car sound like that.

His question was answered at the moment as the engine roars crescendod and two cars slewed sideways round the corner and whizzed past the young martial artist in the blink of an eye. Ranma watched as the two cars, one green and one red was all he could tell with his limited knowledge, approached the next corner and with only a slight tap to the breaks threw their back ends outwards as then skidded squealing out of sight.

Ranma sat transfixed, unable to move as he digested what had just happened as the squealing tyres slowly fading into the distance again. Finally he found his voice. -"What the hell was that?" He almost shouted and finding his throat surprisingly dry. Ranma didn't know much about cars and he knew it but he was sure they couldn't turn a corner like that. He walked slowly up the road to the tight right-handed hairpin and examined the rubber marks burned onto the tarmac.

In his curiosity bubbled inside him he failed to notice the third car coming rapidly up behind him till it was almost to late but as the engine scream boar down on him he realised his peril and jump clear to the side of the road.

A white, low slung car skidded to a halt beside him and the driver's window wound down letting a cheery by slightly annoyed female face poke out. -"HEY, what do you think you're doing standing in the middle of the road. Are you TRYING to get run down?" The young woman berated. Ranma's mouth moved up and down but no sound came out. -"Is this your first time watching the battles?" She asked.

Ranma frowned. -"Battles? You mean fighting." The girl blinked at him nonplussed. -"I was talking about the races, do you even know what's going on here?" Ranma just shook his head. -"Not really. I saw two cars come flying round this corner sideways. I didn't think cars could do that. I didn't know there'd be anyone else coming down." Ranma babbled. The young woman frowned at Ranma and opened her mouth to speak when a strange muffled and crackled voice spoke from somewhere. The girl picked up her walkie talkie from the dash board and spoke into it.

-"Yeah sorry Neji, there was someone in the road. Give me a moment." She looked back at Ranma. -"Look why don't you get in and I'll give you a lift to the bottom, there getting ready to start the next battle, er race." Ranma was hesitant but curious beyond anything he'd recently felt so he nodded and walked round to the passenger door. The girl spoke into her radio again before addressing Ranma again. -"Ok Neji, start whenever, I'll be at the bottom before they reach me. Ok, er. What's you name?" -Ranma, Ranma Soatome of the…" She cut him off. -"Nice to meat you Ranma, I'm Sakura Utsukushii, now put your belt on and I'll show you how those cars went round the corners like that."

Ranma sat in his room in the Tendo's house. He's knees were still shaking slightly but he couldn't tell if it was from fear or excitement. The moment she'd started, he'd understood why the cars seats where so deep and body hugging, bucket seats as Sakura called them. The g force as the car cornered pulled you this way and that, without the seats you be thrown around like peas in a can. But the rest of the journey had been the most exhilarating experience of his life, it had felt so strange to feel the car move sideways and see the mountain cliff or the guard rail slide by in front but so amazing and freeing and as he'd watched her he began to see how it was done. At first it had been confusing but slowly he'd seen how all her limbs worked together operating pedals, steering and the gear stick. It reminded Ranma of some of his training exercises and thinking about it like that had helped him understand what was going on but now Ranma had a problem. Because every fibre in his body ached to feel that strange sensation of drifting again but not with someone else but by his own ability. He wanted to see if he could do it and whether he could do it as well as Sakura or the half dozen other racers he'd seen that night.

Well there were obstacles in his way and he knew it, big ones but like all things he'd faced before they would have to be overcome. Firstly his age, well it was his birthday in a fortnight and he'd be old enough to drive on is own so that one would sort itself out but there were two bigger problems. One he needed to actually pass the test and second, he needed a car and how was he going to get one of those and even more so, run it.

At that moment a sleepy looking Nabiki walked past his door with an empty glass and a thought struck him. If anyone knew about spending money on anything it was Nabiki but could she help, would she help and would anyone object to his new dream. Well maybe they didn't have to know, not just yet. Anyway, he still needed his licence.