Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction / Initial D Fan Fiction ❯ Initial D: Anything Goes Drift Racing ❯ Going Sidways ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Initial D: Mt Furinken. Anything Goes Drift Racing.

Chapter 1: Going sideways.

Ranma's eyes ached and his mind bulged almost to insanity with new information but there was just too much he still had to learn. He stared longingly at the bottom of the two foot pile of books left still to read, sitting innocently beside him on Akane's desk before returning his attention back to the Nissan tuning manual he had already laying open.

Akane herself was standing in the doorway of her room at that moment, once again trying to understand Ranma's sudden interest in cars. When he'd asked to use her desk to do some studying she'd never expected the enormous pile of books he'd brought in, half of which were now strewn across her floor making her eye twitch. But this seemed important to Ranma for some reason so she stayed quite, she could always find someway to punish him later.

It had been three days since his encounter with Sakura but already Ranma's knowledge of cars and drifting was at least a hundred times greater. He'd started simply, identifying makes and finding their strengths and weaknesses just like he would when assessing any opponent he would fight and then progressed onto the more challenging, the mechanics both of cars and driving. However everything was taken from books, he had no practical experience but that would have to wait.

Importantly he now knew the details of drifting, not just the trivial stiff like terminology and how the races were organised but also all eleven drift techniques explicitly and he was confident once he got a chance to put his learning to practice that he would progress quickly but then that was his natural talent, one of the few useful things his father had ever taught him, quick learning and adaptability.


Ranma finished his current book and dropped it beside his chair. He needed a brake, in fact he needed an accelerator, clutch and the rest of a car too and that was a problem that was going to require all his resolve. His chat with Nabiki had been helpful and surprising but also it left him with a major decision to make.

*flashback*

-"So you saw the drift battles on Mt Furinken then." Nabiki said sitting back on her bed. Ranma arched an eyebrow. -"You know about the drift races?" He said sitting beside her. -"Well yes, from Kuno baby actually." She smiled slightly. -"Kuno? What does he know?" Ranma asked. -"Well he races. When he's not on about his Kendo club, Akane or the pigtailed girl, he's yakking on about his latest race." Nabiki paused to watch Ranma clench his fists at the mention of Akane and the pigtailed girl before continuing.

-"Of course he's not very good but you know Kuno he'll never believe anything is his fault. So every time he looses he blames the car and gets a new one. He's got a garage full of some really beautiful cars that he won't drive. Although he hasn't lost in a while so he must be getting better." Nabiki stopped again as Ranma opened his mouth. -"I see but how can I get a car, I mean it's not like I've got that kind of money. You don't have any ideas do you."

-"You know it's funny you should mention it but there's once thing. How badly do you want a car and when I say that, I mean one that, with some practice and skill, could compete on the hill?" She asked smirking. Ranma wasn't sure why but he already knew his answer. -"I'll do anything." -"Then Ranma, I suggest a certain pigtailed redhead should pay Kuno baby a visit and providing you play your cards right…" Ranma interrupted Nabiki suddenly. -"Whoa, I said anything but." This time Nabiki cut Ranma off. -"It's the only way, otherwise you'll be in your mid twenties before you get your wish." Ranma sighed. He knew she was right, even if he got a job he'd never earn enough money anytime soon. But if he could persuade Kuno to give him or rather her one of his old cars, wouldn't he always have to race as a girl. Maybe with some body modifications and a new plate Kuno might not notice if Male Ranma drove a similar car but… He decided to think about it.

*flashback end*

-"Well I've thought about it and there really is no other way." Ranma said to himself, upending his half drunk glass of water over his head. -"Ooh boy, I hate doing this but here goes." Female Ranma sighed, then opened the garden gates and headed out into the streets and off towards the family home of Tatiwake Kuno and his mental sister Kodachi, the black daffodil or whatever she called herself.

It wasn't long before he reached the other wall of the Kuno estate over which she quickly vaulted before making her way cautiously, for she remembered some of their more unpleasant anti intruder contraptions located here and there, towards the house. However before she could reach the main porch the door was flung open and Kuno's figure appeared in the doorway. -"Pigtailed girl, oh joy you've come to me at last." He dashed forward with his arms out stretched but before Ranma could prepare to defend herself a load explosion blew Kuno though the air and dumped him unceremoniously at Ranma's feet.

-"Idiot. Caught in his own trap. Oh well time for my performance I guess." Kneeling beside Kuno's limp and blackened form Ranma began in her most sweet and innocent voice. -"Oh Kuno dearest, I heard a strange rumour. A boy in town said you're a street race. Is it true because I just love street racers, there so daring and brave?" In a flash Kuno was up again and shaking the dust from his body. -"Why yes my darling, it is true. I am a great street racer, they call me the Blue Thunder of Furinken Mountain. Now my sweet, shall we go inside and we can plan our wedding." He said shifting as close as possible to Ranma. -"Oh silly not yet." She said punching Ranma playfully but very hard on the arm. -"Why don't you show me your cars, I'd love to see them they must be so cool." Kuno sighed but smiled. -"Very well my dear follow me, the garage is this way."

Ranma stared round in amazement and the enormous garage, tools of every kind hung on the walls while several sets of spare tires sat in a corner, there was even a hydraulic jack for raising the car to work on the underside. But the really amazing thing were the ten large blue tarpaulins covering what Ranma knew must be expensive race tuned cars arranged in a semi circle at one end of the garage and with a click of a button the blue plastic was lifted into the air and the machines were revealed. She scanned the row of cars noting their makes and drinking in their beauty. An R33 GTR, an Integra type R, an RX7fc, a Silvia S15, an Accord type R, a Honda 2000, an MR2, an RX5 and finally an a Subaru WRX each painted in dark midnight blue with flecks of silver and everyone heavily customised to give a unique appearance and one that screamed power. There was also a black EVO VI with white viper stripes but similarly customised to the others except for the large Rose design on the bonnet.

-"Kuno they're so beautiful." Ranma whispered in awe. -"Well I only drive the WRX, the others are unlucky to me and the EVO there is my cursed sisters." -"Kodatchi races?" Ranma asked surprised. -"Of course, it's only natural she would try to emulate me, her older more skilful brother but I see it only as a complement." Ranma sighed mentally, he knew it was the moment of truth and he moved closer to Kuno. -"There so beautiful, I wish I had one." She said in a quite and sad voice, while pursing her lips slightly. She saw Kuno's eyes flash for a moment as he shifted nervously. -"Then my darling, I shall give you one, anyone you want save my beloved WRX and of course my sisters EVO." Inside Ranma was praising Nabiki and dancing for joy but he had an unpleasant feeling there was another bit to come. -"And all I ask in return is one kiss."

Ranma froze though he'd expected it or worse but she'd already made up her mind about what she had to do and which car she wanted. -"Close your eyes Kuno." Ranma said shakily. Kuno closed his eyes. -"Ok, here goes." Ranma leaned slowly forward but stopped inches from Kuno's face. Could she really do it, it wouldn't be her first kiss with another guy but none of them had been willing and definitely not enjoyed he told himself. Suddenly the decision was out of her hands for Kuno's arms wrapped round her and his lips met hers.

It took Ranma a good two seconds to recover and strike as hard as she could down on Kuno's head. -"Hey you pervert. You should wait for when a girls ready." But the dazed Kuno pressed into the ground didn't hear her. -"Oh my love, your kiss is so sweet your lips the very lips of heavens angels themselves. The keys are in the ignitions, take which ever you please. Ranma's heart did summersaults, it may have been a horrid experience but it had been worth it. Cautiously she took her first few steps towards her new car, the Nissan Silvia S15. It was sleek and beautiful and powerful, sitting incredibly low on it's suspension over multi spoked polished chrome alloys, the six inch twin tailpipes almost dragging the ground. She gently pulled the door handle and climbed inside, getting comfortable in the black leather lined bucket seat before pulling the racing belts over her head and locking them shut. Then she started the engine and listened as the beast came to life purring like a huge contented jungle cat. -"Time to see if you can really drive this thing." She said to herself. In front of her Kuno had opened the garage doors and a new world awaited her just perfect to be explored.

She shifted into first dropped the e-brake and spinning the wheels a little too much shot forward and out of the garage, down the little lane to the road and out back onto the streets. She checked all the dials and gauges constantly, letting all the knowledge she inhaled surface and feeling the power as she went slowly adapting her technique, eliminating her weaknesses and mistakes and wondering what the others would say when she arrived back at the Tendo's in the magnificent machine. But she could worry about that later, first she decided to head down to the docks area by the riverside. She knew it was wear the other racers went to practice and warm up before the races and at this time of day would be relatively empty leaving plenty of space for her to practice some basic drift techniques where no one would mind. Of course she had to hope she didn't get spotted and pulled over by the police. After all Ranma still didn't have a license or insurance but those would just have to be taken care of next. In the meantime, he wasn't going to let anything get in the way of having a little sideways fun.