Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction / Initial D Fan Fiction ❯ Initial D: Anything Goes Drift Racing ❯ Gathering at the mountain ( Chapter 2 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Initial D: Mt Furinken. Anything goes drift racing.

Chapter 2. Gathering on the mountain. Ranma's first mountain run.

Ranma was tired but happy, he'd spent a week tinkering with the car. It may have been in prime condition but it hadn't been driven in a while and the engine needed a clean and fluid change. Then with Sakura's help he had acquired some paint, a rather intense almost florescent green but which seemed to strangely suit the car. Then a few more cheap accessories to truly make the car unique and it was almost done, there was one thing left.

Ranma peeled back the backing plastic to reveal the personalised graphic sun strip, dark red with his name in raised black. He looked across at Sakura who was putting her various tools back into the boot of her car, which he now knew was a Mitsubishi FTO gpR. An unusual choice for a drift racer as it was a FF set up, meaning the engine was in the front and it was front wheel driven as opposed to the usual FR setup where the rear wheels give the power. The FR setup made it easier to drift a car as you could spin the wheels with a little extra clutch but it wasn't a necessary component to be a fast race. What's more her FTO was incredibly fast and also very light which meant she could beat most people off the line and then simply block them all the way to the finish, that was if they could keep up.

She finished packing the tools and looked over at Ranma. -"So, you gonna come to the races tonight. Even if you don't race yet, you can't let a beautiful machine like that go un-admired." She said running her hands over the bodywork in a manner Ranma found strangely sensual. He shook his head to chase those thoughts away when he noticed Akane approaching. -"Um, maybe. Depends if anything is planned for tonight." He said carefully watching the approaching time bomb. Sakura looked over her shoulder and noticed Akane. -"Huh. Well if you decide to come, we're gathering at about eleven at the viewing platform. If you come I'll introduce you to my team mates and maybe you could do a practice run." She finished as Akane reached them at who she flashed a nervous smile before climbing into her car. -"Later Ran." She said before squealing her tires and leaving as fast as she could. Ranma knew Sakura didn't like Akane much and vice versa but didn't know why. Sakura knew however that it was because Akane scared her far more than any near miss with the guard rail ever did, she had an air of violent jealousy around her always and though Sakura had said she was involved with someone, she was sure that the Akane girl was convinced she was after Ranma. -"Well, glad I don't have to live with her." She said aloud to herself.

Akane meanwhile was giving Ranma the third degree about his afternoon's activity and was rapidly growing tired of it. He'd already decided to go to the races that night but he knew Akane was cooking the meal and as much as he didn't want to eat her food, he knew how offended she got. Well hopefully she wouldn't take too long and if he didn't eat much his stomach shouldn't hurt too much.

-"Are you even listening to me Ranma!?" Akane suddenly yelled at him. -"Yeah yeah, dinner at nine thirty." He sighed. Akane just stomped her feet and stormed off. -"That girl needs to cool off her aggression, she's such a tomboy." A moment later Ranma pole axed to the floor as a frying pan made contact with his head.

Meanwhile outside the Tendo gate a weary traveller had set up camp for the evening while he consulted several maps and his pocket GPS. -"Where is that dojo. Maybe it was a left at Albuquerque?" Ryoga finally threw down the maps in disgust and was about to begin his dinner when a familiar voice began screaming insults. -"Akane?" Ryoga said looking around for the source of shouting, it was coming from behind his tent. He pulled it aside to find the Tendo Dojo sign nailed to the front gates. -"What do you know, I'm here. It must be love guiding me." He said forcing the gates open and running to his beloved's `rescue'. What he found was Ranma passed out beside a large green car, his eyes bulged as he looked over every inch of the shiny machine and drooled.

Ranma found himself shaken awake and opened his eyes to see, -"Ryoga. What do you want now? I'm in no mood to fight." He said groggily. Ryoga's shaking had done nothing for the headache growing in his brain. -"Whose car is this?" Ryoga asked shaking Ranma again. -"It's mine. Please let me go." Ryoga let go of Ranma dropping him min the dirt. -"Don't lie Ranma, how could you own such a nice car." He growled. -"It's is mine Ryoga. I'm training to be a street racer." Ryoga stared at Ranma open mouthed. -"Curse you Ranma, you're always one step ahead of me. But how could you afford such a car." He scowled. -"I got it off Kuno." Ranma said quietly hoping Ryoga wasn't smart enough to make the connection unfortunately Ryoga knew Ranma too well by now. -"You changed into a girl didn't you. Shame on you, you call yourself a man. You'd sell your body if you had the chance wouldn't you?" This remark struck home like a rusty nail but Ryoga was right, he basically had. He had kissed Kuno for this car and the thought horrified him. -"Shut up P-Chan." Was all the comeback he could come up with?

-"Fine then, if that is how it is. I too will train to become a street racer, then I will battle you and prove to Akane I am the greatest, then she'll forget all about you Ranma and be mine." Ryoga laughed to himself for some time, by the time he'd stopped Ranma had disappeared to find some Aspirin. -"Fine, I will see you soon Ranma but know this. My cousin was once the greatest street racer in the Gunma district. With his help I will surpass you." He laughed wildly again to himself as he packed up his stuff and headed, hopefully, for home though after he passed the Tendo gates for a sixth time he began to suspect it would take longer then he expected.

Ranma felt the engine growl under the bonnet as he made his way up Mt Furinken trying to get a feel for the tarmac. So far he'd made one run on the mountain the day after he'd got the car but only to see what the course was like he hadn't attempted to drift any of the corners but tonight, tonight he would tackle the mountain. He pulled out of the final turn and made his way along the short straight that served as the launch strip and pulled into the car park. There were already seven or eight cars parked here and he'd seen a couple more parked in a lay-by about half way up.

Before he'd turned the engine off a crowd was forming round his car, people pressing forward eagerly to see this machine new to their eyes and find out who drove such a car. There was no shortage of amazement when Ranma stepped out. -"He's so young." Was said several times and, -"Isn't he that kid at Furinken High who always gets into strange fights." Ranma ignored them however for at that moment three cars pulled into the car park, the third of which was Sakura's FTO.

She emerged from her car and waved at Ranma and gestured him over. He studied the other two cars as he approached. The first was possible the meanest car Ranma had ever seen. A dark blue Honda NSX type R with a one off self made body kit that gave it the appearance of pure speed. Even compare to his own car he couldn't help thinking this car was the most beautiful thing on the planet. The second car was a blood red 86 Supra TwinTurboR, it didn't have a body kit or other modifications other than the up rated muffler and alloys. Sakura introduced him to the two drivers. The NSX driver was in his early twenties Ranma judged and was fairly good looking with his hair dyed the same colour as his car though he seemed friendly enough. -"This is Ebi Pan." Sakura said as the two shook hands. Ranma looked at him trying not to laugh. -"Prawn bread? That's a strange name." -"Yes I know, I prefer to go by the name Edy." Ranma shrugged. -"Ok Edy, nice to meet you." The other driver was a litter shorter and skinnier than Edy an also appeared to be younger, probably about nineteen. -"This is Neji Futsukayoi." Sakura introduced. -"Edy, Neji, this is Ranma Soatome, and that's his car." She said pointing at the green S15.

The two boys wandered over to give the car a once over. -"It's a nice machine. Be careful though, it's very powerful and Sakura said you've only just started racing. Take it easy you're first few runs." Edy cautioned. -"I know. Actually I was planning on trying my first drift run tonight, once the main races are over. Do you know who's up tonight?" Neji looked up from inspecting the tyres. -"Yeah, it's a big one tonight, someone challenged Mitzuki." -"Who's Mitzuki?" Ranma asked curious. -"Mitzuki Hayai, generally acknowledged to be the fastest on Mt Furinken. He drives an RX7 but it's not surprising he's semi pro. He does a lot of autocross and track events, and most people reckon he'll go full pro by the end of the year. You'll recognise his car when you see it, it's covered in sponsorships. The only reason the rest of his team ride with him is cos they're hoping to follow him to the pros." Edy said a little scornfully. Ranma looked at Edy's car. -"How fast are you, compared to him." Neji snorted. -"I don't know. I've never raced him." Edy said. -"He's faster but they've got some age old grudge thing so they never race." Neji said sounding almost annoyed. -"You should put him in his place Edy. Stop him lording it over al the other drivers." Sakura added.

Ranma nodded, more to himself than anything. He didn't really understand the grudge thing, for him a grudge meant you always had to fight someone not avoid them. At that moment however the sound of well tuned engines appeared coming up the mountain and cheers from the gathering spectators whose number had rapidly grown from nowhere signalled it was someone important. Ranma, Sakura, Neji and Edy walked to the guard rail to look. Seven cars sat parked, four on once side of the road, three on the other. -The two teams racing tonight." Sakura explained. It wasn't hard to spot Mitzuki's dark red RX7 as Edy had said and behind it were parked a yellow Evo III, a yellow Toyota MR2 and sky blue Honda Accord type R, they were team Perfect Edge. On the other side of the road was a Red 92GTO twinturbo and two identical black S14's, they were team Dark Stars. Ranma also noticed that Kuno's blue WRX and Kodatchi's black and white Evo had pulled into the car park at some point and hoped that neither of them spotted him or recognised the car. He may have been able to defeat Kuno in combat but on the streets he was just a beginner and Kuno would surely beat him. He needed experience first.

Ranma tried to stay unnoticed but soon forgot about the Kuno's as he watched the two opposing teams exchange challenges and not so witty banter. Finally when all the posturing was over the two team leaders, Mitzuki and the GTO's owner a man in his late twenties Sakura said was named Baile climbed into their cars and lined up ready for the start while the remaining cars shuffled into the car park. Then a quite hush fell over the crowd leaving only the sound of two finally tuned engines ticking over in the night air. The starter raised his arms and the two engines began roaring and hissing as they revved repeatedly and the turbo's dump valves released the extra air. Then the countdown. -"5,4,3,2,1, GO!" The starter dropped his arms and the two cars blasted off the start line with wheels screeching on the tarmac and then they were round the first corner and gone, leaving only the sound of their engines and tyre squeals.

-"Mitzuki was in front, I think that Baile held back. I hope he won't regret that." Edy said. Ranma looked at him confused. -"Why would he hold back?" -"Well Baile's car is faster on the straights so you'd expect him to take the lead so he must have held back to let Mitzuki lead. I guess he's planning to make his move going through the tunnel, he won't take him on the corner but of course he's got to keep up, but if he does it, it'll seal his victory as being faster." Edy explained. -"You think he'll do it?" Ranma asked. Neji shook his head. -"Nope. Baile tried to go pro and failed, he wasn't fast enough, he's just not as good on the corners. Even if he overtakes on the tunnel straight Mitzuki would probably recover before the finish. The tunnels only three quarters the way down. If Baile keeps up, it's only cos Mit is toying with him. He's just trying to look better than he is." -"Yeah, that's why he'll loose." Sakura added.

For the next couple of minutes Ranma listened to the crackle over the portable radios the marshals carried as the race progressed. As Neji had suspected Baile was keeping up but only just and the gap proved to wide to close at the tunnel straight. From there on the gap widened and when Mitzuki crossed the line in 3:04, it took sixteen more seconds for Baile to finish. There were two other races between some of the less skilled racers, those who didn't bother with teams but race on their own to improve their skills. Finally at about two o clock the mountain began to clear as people tired and headed for home. Soon Ranma and the members of Team Myst were the only ones left in the car park. Ranma was relieved he hadn't had to deal with Kuno that evening but he knew he would sooner or later. He just hoped he could gain the skill he needed before they met because he knew, Kuno would issue a challenge straight out and Ranma couldn't loose to him or he'd never leave Akane or his girl side alone again.

Edy approached Ranma to speak. -"Ok, the mountain will be clear now. So here's what I suggest. You can get a couple of runs in tonight so do your first. I'll go down the bottom and time you with Sakura here at the top and Neji will follow you down and watch how you drive so he can give you pointers. Not too close Neji ok?" Neji nodded. -"Well I've been practising round the docks how hard can this be." He laughed nervously. Edy got in his car and set off down the mountain. While they waited Ranma and Neji lined up on the launch strip. By the time Ranma was in place and psyched up ready he heard Sakura's radio crackle. -"Ok whenever Sakura." Sakura stood between the two cars and raised her arms. Ranma knew it was just for show but never the less he felt the adrenalin start to flow. This would be simple all he had to do was remember his practices and all his training. His senses and judgment were tuned over normal like his car was tuned above regular cars.

Sakura dropped her arms and Ranma launched the car as he'd practices so many times racing the trains that passed by so close to the docks. He was at the first corner sooner than he expected and for moment he thought he was going to loose it already but his training had been too vigorous over the years and he rounded it smoothly and was soon heading towards the first heavy left hander. Turn in, clutch, shift, counter steer heal n toe while balancing the steering wheel, feeling the back sliding out and following him round and then through the Apex and out of the corner. Ranma's mind buzzed with joy, excitement, fear, wonder, love and a thousand other emotions all mixed with more adrenalin than he'd ever experienced, this was nothing like the open docks, this was real, a confined mountain road. A cliff one side a sheer drop the other and it was the most wonderful thing in the world. He punched the accelerator to the floor and felt the turbo really kick in as he rapidly gained speed.

The next corner was coming up this one a right hander and his speed had dramatically picked up but somehow he could feel it, feel the grip of the road, the brakes bite and as he shifted and balanced the car flicking the handbrake briefly to align the backend in compensation for the extra speed as he exited he knew he still wasn't pushing his limits. And so it continued with each corner he felt more and more familiar with his techniques and the less he had to use the handbrake to compensate and the longer he could hold the drifts. The tunnel walls flashed past briefly and then were gone in his rear view. He looked up briefly to see Neji's headlights a little way back. He was surprised to fell a little annoyed at this but it was to be expected. A few more corners and suddenly he was round the final corner and past the crossing lights that signalled the course finish where Edy stood. Ranma brought the car round and drove back to Edy who was talking to Neji though Ranma could hear what they were saying.

-"Shit he's fast for a first timer." Neji said. -"He was all over the place for the first four or five corners but just kept getting better. He gave me a scare on the first two corners though. He almost lost it then recovered in what was in fact a beautiful drift then jammed the accelerator and almost doubled his speed for the next one, I thought he'd kill himself. But if he drives like he was doing at the end on the next run." Neji paused for a second. "I might not keep up." Edy raised an eyebrow and looked at the stopwatch. -"3:41 is fast for a beginner I'll give you that but you'll do it in 3:20. He can't be that fast yet." -"Maybe, maybe not but the last few corners he started to pull away from me." -"Hmm, well I'll have Sakura follow him down then if you really think that. This kid could have potential."

Edy fell silent as Ranma pulled up. -"How was that?" Brilliant for a first run. Neji says you had a good technique there by the end. Do another and I'll have Sakura follow you down but don't push yourself too hard just yet ok. I don't want to see you killed. Now get back up there. Ranma nodded and took off for the top of the mountain, Neji turned round and followed after him two seconds later. However as he rounded the fourth corner on the way back up, the first of three s curves, Ranma's car had disappeared. He could just hear a squeal but it sounded as though Ranma had exited the last of the hairpins. Neji shook his head. -"How the hell is this guy so fast already. Did he lie to us?"

Ranma was amazed at how easily his martial arts training transferred to driving. It was all learn and adapt, every corner he took he spotted another flaw and eradicated it on the next turn and every time he made a mistake that helped somehow it was incorporated into his style. When he arrived at the launch he turned his car round for the second run and waited for Neji. He was surprised when he didn't appear for a good fifteen seconds.

Sakura was already waiting on the launch and as soon as Neji had parked and radioed Edy they were off. As Edy started the stopwatch he listened to Neji's account of the uphill run. -"He really beat you back?" Edy asked surprised. "Yeah and he was already turned round and on the line which meant he'd been there at least five ten seconds. I know I'm not so fast uphill but come on. I'm wondering if this guy has more experience than he's letting on." -A pro working the area for a bit of cash you mean. It's possible but it seems unlikely doesn't it. He just appears to be naturally skilled. If we train him…" Neji cut him off. -"Do you really want to drag him into your feud with Mitzuki?" -"If this guy has half the potential I'm beginning to suspect he has, he'll blow Mitzuki away. -"Hmm. Well let's see first shall we. Let see it's been 2:37. If he's gonna beat me, he'll be exiting the tunnel." There was a pause then Edy spoke again. -"I hear engines."

Edy watched the stopwatch flicking through the seconds as the two sets of headlights came closer and closer and suddenly they were past in a gush of wind that blew his hair all over and almost knocked him from his feet. He checked the timer split. 3:15. Edy's mouth was dry as he lifted the radio to his mouth. -"Neji, he just did it in 3:15, he really did beat you." -"Yeah. In fact that's only four seconds off Sakura's best time." -"You'd better come down now, his tyres will be too worn if we do another now." -"Alright see you shortly." Neji replied then the radio was silent.

Edy approached Ranma and Sakura who was shaking Ranma's and dancing round him talking too fast. -"Edy Edy Edy, did you see him. I was driving almost at my limit to keep up. He's incredible, this guy is just like you." Sakura said in a burble only just recognisable as speech. Edy ignored her. Ranma, that was incredible that has to be the fastest second run anyone here has done. You are very gifted unless you lied about your experience." Sakura fell silent and looked shocked at Ranma then Edy. -"What?" She said. -"I never lied. This is m first night ever racing on a mountain, up till now I only practiced at the docks." Ranma protested. Edy was silent as he thought.

-"Well then you have an incredible natural talent. With the right coaching, you could become the fastest on this mountain." -"You think so?" Ranma asked. He saw Neji's car pull up behind them and Neji get out and walk over. Edy shared a glance with him and Sakura. -"After what I've seen tonight, I know so. You could challenge any of the normal drift kiddies here and even a few of the teams with your current skill and you'd probably win but you let me train you and you'll blow them all away. Even Mitzuki." Ranma was quiet for a minute. -"I'm that good?" The others nodded. -"This could be the best training I've ever done."

-"Training?" Sakura asked. -"Martial arts. Born and raised on it thanks to my pop. Probably why I am so fast already, I just have great senses and reactions." The others looked at each other confused but interested by this information. -"Well come next weekend, you should be ready for a proper race. What do you think?" Edy stated. -"I think I'm going to enjoy next weekend."