Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction / Initial D Fan Fiction ❯ Initial D: Anything Goes Drift Racing ❯ Stage 3: Chapter 1: The White Supra ( Chapter 20 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Initial D: Mt Furinken. Anything Goes Drift Racing.
 
Stage 3: Chapter 1: The White Supra.
 
The rumble of a powerful engine drifted down the mountainside but at three o'clock on a Sunday morning there was no one but the driver awake to hear it, or so he thought.
 
As the blue Subaru Impreza slide around the final long turn up the mountain onto the launch strip straight, Kuno saw a strange car he didn't recognise pulled up on the starting line. Sheer white, he recognised the car as a Toyota Supra 2001 modal and there was nothing stock about it, clearly recognisable as a drifter's car. Aside from the vicious body kit and oversized carbon fibre spoiler, he could see the front wheels had been angled outwards at the base by several degrees to increase the front tyre grip during a drift.
 
Kuno slowed as he passed the other car and tried to catch a glimpse of the driver but the windows were all too heavily mirror tinted to for him to see more than a silhouette. Once he had enough clear space he pulled a tight 180 handbrake turn and brought the car to rest beside the Supra. Instantly the Toyotas engine leapt to life with a mighty growl the driver revving the engine in a clear challenge.
 
Kuno scowled, he was never one to back down from a challenge and revved his engine in return. A mysterious challenger here on his mountain, he laughed to himself. `He has no chance.' The air was suddenly full of smoke and the sound of screeching rubber on tarmac as both cars left the line and rocketed down the straight toward the first corner.
 
It seemed the Supra had the power advantage though as it took the lead into the first corner initiating it's slide with apparent ease however the 4x4 style drift of the Impreza in Kuno's hands quickly gained the last distance and they exited nose to tail. A cautious smirk crept onto Kuno's face, the Supra was clearly considerably more powerful than the Subaru, even as they left the corner it began to pull away again but at the second corner Kuno closed the gap to nothing again.
 
It seemed like this would be a simple victory after all, on the upcoming long wide left hander he could pass in time to leave the challenger standing as they entered the first of the hairpins. Even so he wasn't counting his chickens just yet, he'd underestimated a racer twice before and lost.
 
However before he could spend longer thinking about it the entrance to the corner was on them, Kuno pulled into the outside lane and watched as the distance rapidly closed to nothing before initiating his drift. For a moment Kuno thought it was going to be as easy as he'd hoped as he watched the white supra appear to slide backwards beside him.
 
Then an instant later there was a flash and Kuno's world went as white as the Toyotas paint. Blinded Kuno could only hit the brakes and hope the damage wouldn't be too bad, he felt the controlled drift change into an uncontrolled skid towards a crash barrier then a hard bang as something collided into the car, then he felt the tyres go and finally the bone jarring crunch as the car slid rear first through the barrier and flipping over onto it's roof as it slide down a short slope and out onto the road further down the mountain.
 
As Kuno's consciousness faded in and out he heard the sound of a car pulling up and a door opening. The footsteps echoed strangely loudly over the dying engine of the Subaru as the mysterious driver approached but all he could see was the driver's feet. A pair of black plimsolls and the hem of a white over shirt with a simple design along the edge, and then he lost consciousness completely.
 
*
 
Kuno awoke to find himself in a strange room a familiar face staring wide eyed over him.
 
“Soatome, when did you get back?” He groaned.
 
“Phew you're awake. You had us worried Kuno, we got back last night and Nabiki told us you'd had a crash on the mountain.”
 
“A crash, I was run off the road by some crazy cheating idiot in a Supra, he set of some blinding light as was about to pass him.”
 
“Huh, why race if you have to cheat. Did you see the driver?”
 
“Only his feet, he wore plimsolls, black ones.”
 
“Plimsolls while driving? Although there's something familiar about that.”
 
“I thought so. How is my car?” Kuno sounded more genuinely concerned asking this than Ranma had ever heard him.
 
“I'm sorry, it's a write off Kuno. Looks like it took a real beating, there are some huge puncture marks down the sides let alone the damage flipping over did it, the axels bent and the engines torn apart.”
 
“Damn it, that swine.” Kuno clenched his fists. He turned to look at Ranma from his bed. “Soatome, if you see this white Supra on the mountain don't accept a race against him, he's dangerous and more importantly he's mine first. He could have killed me that night and for what, because he was going to loose. That is someone physiologically damaged and who isn't very attached to reality.”
 
“Hmm, we'll keep an eye out for him and make some enquiries. I already checked on Ryoga but he's still safely locked up at the clinic in Tokyo. Besides you don't need to worry, you'll be all fixed up by the time our new cars are ready.”
 
“I hope so because we still have a score to settle too, don't we.”
 
“Indeed, I'll see you later Kuno.” Ranma turned and left, outwardly he looked calm but inside he could feel a tinge of fear beginning to take hold. He and Akane had just arrived back from their honey moon with Edy and Sakura, the memories of Ryoga's insane rampage of revenge still a common nightmare of Ranma's and now it looked like another nut case was about and he couldn't bare the thought of Akane being hurt again.
 
He loved drifting, it had feed him from the insanity that had controlled most of his life but now it seemed that insanity was starting to seep into his new life. For the one thing he loved more than drifting, Akane, he wondered if it was worth going back on the mountain. But he already knew that that would never happen. Still there was the problem of the cost of four new cars to contend with too and the fact that now he and Akane were married they would be expected to begin running the Tendo Dojo again.

Ranma sighed, it seemed like a whole new set of problems was just beginning.