Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction / Initial D Fan Fiction ❯ Initial D: Anything Goes Drift Racing ❯ Stage 3: Chapter 5: Hidden Weapons ( Chapter 24 )

[ A - All Readers ]
Initial D: Mt Furinken. Anything Goes Drift Racing.


Stage 3: Chapter 5: Hidden Weapons


Tyres screamed in the night as they lost the battle for grip to the tarmac and left rubber trails and smoke in the wake of the speeding cars.


Ranma was on edge as his eyes darted about over every inch of the white Supra in front. He constantly expected the unhinged Chinese duck boy to unleash some oversized ridiculously oversized weapon to smash Ranma’s car from the road but so far it had been a traditional race.


Ranma had let Mousse take the lead early thinking that an enemy he could keep a constant watch on was better than one he had to keep checking his mirrors for but over halfway down the course nothing out of the ordinary had happened.


In fact a part of Ranma’s brain was getting impatient, Mousse could drift but he was not an expert and was way below the speed Ranma could attain on the downhill he knew so well. In fact had he taken the lead he would have been crossing the finish line any moment.


A sudden thought crossed Ranma’s mind. Perhaps Mousse had anticipated this strategy. Knowing he didn’t have the speed he had laid a classic drifters trap. Rather than try and win with speed he had relied on Ranma letting him in front and so he could set the pace. A tactic that would usually only be used on narrow roads where one driver would start in front and try and escape the other in turns until someone was declared the winner.


But could Mousse really be that smart, Ranma wondered. Normally the master of hidden weapons just charged blindly in and asked questions later. Either way at this rate Ranma was going to lose the race. It was time to make a pass and finish this battle.


He had to be careful but there was still time to win this race, Ranma dropped a gear and attacked. So far Mousse had shown poor skills at defending lines in corners so Ranma’s plan was simple, pull alongside before the entrance to the corner and take the high line round the outside and drop the Supra in his wake on the exit like a bad habit.


As he pulled along side he risked a full look across at the White Supra, though he was making sure it was always on the edge of his vision. He could see Mousse at the wheel and for a moment their eyes met or at least they would have if Mousse hadn’t been wearing his round dark spectacles, dark glasses at night, and Ranma knew he had made a mistake.


This was what Mousse had been waiting for. Thinking back to past fights with Mousse he had always been weakest when his opponent attacked form behind. His style combined with his poor vision meant he was limited to striking an area in front and this would be no different. He saw the Supra’s nose dip as it braked hard letting Ranma’s Altezza slip by.


Instinct kicked in as Ranma initiated his drift, feet and hands flying in perfect timing to hit the now clear apex but his eyes were locked expectantly on the Supra for the onslaught he knew was coming.


*


Akane felt her heart leap into her throat as she watched events unfold. Following the race down the mountain in her own car she too had noticed their slow progress. Had seen the faces of the watchers by the side of the road as they too puzzled over what they saw. Those that had seen Ranma and co race before had expected better and told tails to the newcomers that had raised hopes of a truly epic battle.


When Ranma decided to overtake she could almost sense his intention even as the back of his car dipped under acceleration to pass the Supra. The next moment Akane watched the white car break sharply and drop back to line up on its target. She saw Ranma begin his drift and then things went white.


The Supra let out a burst of light that hurt the eyes even from Akane’s position behind the car, she slammed on the breaks unable to see the road, the crash barriers or anything.


Time seemed slow and Akane found herself wondering whose car had the better breaks, her own or Edy behind her.


It seemed like hours passed though it was only seconds when she carefully opened her eyes, dark spots swam before her eyes and seemed to dance across the windscreen as she tried to work out what had happened.


Finally through the haze and stinging pain she could see the crash barrier, she had skidded to a stop with less than an inch between her bumper and the rail. She exhaled as her head slumped forward relief flooding over her. She was aware of a cramping in her leg and became suddenly aware her foot was still stamped hard down on the break. Akane even thought she might have dented the floor beneath the peddles her foot was down so hard. She relaxed her leg and began looking about to see where everyone else was.


Edy’s 350Z was stopped a little way back up the road, facing the other way. There was no sign of Ranma or Mousse. Akane grabbed her radio.


“What the hell happened?” She yelled into the mic. Static fizzled then she heard Edy speak.


“I think he set off some sort of flash bang.”


“But what happened to Ranma? Can anyone see anything?”


“Sakura here, not sure what happened to Ranma but we can see the Supra’s still heading down the mountain and almost at the bottom, that light must be visible for miles.”


“But where is Ranma? He would have got that blast full in the face?” Said Akane the panic rising in her voice.


The radio was silent and Akane could only stare at it on horror then it cracked to life again.


“Finish line here, Ranma just flew by. He must be o, look out!” There was a rattle and thump over the radio before the now rather shaken voice returned. “My eyes, that idiot almost hit us. Looks like he isn’t hanging around.”


Another voice came over the radio, “Affirmative, he’s not stopping but he is swaying all over the place, who is that guy?”


By now Akane had climbed from her car and was standing at the guard rail looking down the mountain through the trees. She could see the bright white glow as it raced away from the drift run and the mountain back towards town and then the light was gone and the world was bathed in darkness again.


“I guess Ranma won.” Said Edy cheerily turning to Akane, I’d like to know how. We’d better get down there.”


*


Ranma leant against his car breathing hard. He could feel the bile in his stomach bubble, never had he been so scared. He wondered what would happen now.  He heard the distinctive sound of Akane’s Evo pull up and the engine die then her racing footsteps.


“Ranma you’re ok.” She sounded so relieved as she wrapped her arms round him and leant her head against his chest. “How did you manage that?”


“I’m just glad you’re ok Akane.” He planted a kiss on her forehead.


Akane felt her hart skip a beat and she pushed back to look at him, something was wrong as she looked him over. He seemed ok but then she noticed how his gaze into the distance was unfocused. He wasn’t looking at her, at anything.


“Ranma, look at me.” She tipped her body to the left from the waste, Ranma’s head turned to face where her own had been when she spoke.


“Yes Akane.”


“Oh Ranma, you’re blind.” She felt tears in her eyes then began misting her own vision. He didn’t respond.


“Is it true? You can’t see?” Edy said waiving a hand across Ranma’s eyes. “You drove the course from memory?”


“Practice makes perfect.” Ranma replied trying to sound cheerful.

“We need to get you to Doctor Tofu now.” Akane said taking Ranma by the hand and leading him towards her car.


“What happened to Mousse, I expected him to try and finish me off.”


“He’s gone. I guess he thought he had failed when you didn’t crash and beat him in a race. Hopefully we have some time.” Akane couldn’t keep the venom from her voice.


“I’ll get your car back to the Garage Ranma.” Said Edy.


“No!” Ranma snapped loudly causing shocked looks from Edy and the gathered crowd who wanted to see the man who could win a race blind. “No one must drive it, Mousse might be lying in wait somewhere for another chance to attack. He doesn’t stop to check he’s going for the right person. Get Sakura somewhere safe tonight, stay with Kuno. As dangerous as he is in that car, he is far more dangerous out of it and completely mad. I don’t think this is a battle that can be won with drifting.”


“Right. What will you do?”


“Firstly I need my sight back, then I need to go see an old friend.” Ranma smirked at his own joke.


Edy watched Akane drive off with Ranma as his mind began wondering what kind if trouble they were really in. ‘So much for getting back to drifting.’ He muttered.


*


Far away across the city Mousse passed back and forwards in front of his car. The weapon had failed but that only meant one thing. He needed more weapons. It was time to make some more modifications. Then finally, he would have his revenge. He thumped his fist into the car’s bonnet.
Converting /tmp/php4Uvas7 to /dev/stdout