Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Waterfalls of Blood ❯ Echo of the Past ( Chapter 2 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Title: Waterfalls of Blood
Chapter 2: Echos of the Past
Disclaimer: I don't own the characters so don't sue.


Ranma stood balanced on a rock near a swiftly flowing river, watching the pounding of the water against the shore. Beyond that was a shadowed valley where long poles could be see rising into the air. That vague reminder of Jusenkyo made Ranma shiver even in his dreams. He moved his hand and watched the resistance in the air as he pulled it through. Little ripples moved around his fingers as he clenched them into a fist. Shoving a leg upwards into a spiral kick, the power pushed out of it in a rush that left him laughing. Beginning a kata, fire began to move along his fists and feet like bright snakes. He sent it spiraling outwards with just a thought, watching the flames lick at the forest's edge. Everything was burning...And Ranma was laughing, laughing as he burned with it...

-----

Bolting up on his futon, Ranma awoke in a cold sweat, still able to feel the flames moving across and through his body. It wasn't the heat that caused the fear, it was the rush of pleasure he felt during it, the jolt sent to his groin that made him instantly and uncomfortably hard. The lack of control scared him...And made him groan in overwhelming need. |The power...the sheer power was incrediable. It was Saffron muliplied a million times and soaked in darkness. What a wierd dream...| Ranma thought to himself as he got up and changed into his regular chinese pants and shirt. |And that one last night took the cake! What a wierd thought, me, Prince of Darkness. And what is Ryouga? My freakin' general?| Ranma laughed and brushed aside the whole thing, ignoring a familiar tingle at Ryouga's name as he went running down the stairs when Kasumi called up.

"Ranma, Uncle Saotome! Breakfast!"

"Coming Kasumi-chan!" A fat white blur rushed past Ranma and caused him to trip down the steps, luckily managing to land on his feet.

"Pops! Don't be an ass, watch where you're going!" Ranma yelled as he walked in and sat at the table. Kasumi came in and put the food out, making sure everyone was served. Ranma took one look at the typically delicous spread in front of him...and turned green. "Ummm, Kasumi?"

"Yes, Ranma-kun?" Came the sweet voice that sent shivers up his spine from the pure morning cheerfulness in it.

"Do we have anything...uh...well...thicker? Maybe meat? I have an odd craving for it this morning..."

"Well, there is some left-over sukiyaki from last night...I suppose I can put it in a bento for you."

"Thanks Kasumi." Ranma grinned, though today it seemed to lack the usual personality behind it.

"Say, Ranma...Where did you get the nice little bauble around your neck?" Ranma looked and sighed. Nabiki sat there with her usual predatory grin. |Yep, Nabiki came to breakfast. Probably wants to know where I got the money for it. Waitaminute, neck?!| Ranma felt a surge of panic run through him and jumped up from the table, running towards the hallway to look in a mirror. He barely registered the voices behind him.

"Nabiki! What did you say to him?"

"Cool it, Akane. I didn't say anything I don't usually."

Stopping in front of the mirror, Ranma steeled himself to what he would see. |Oh Kami-sama!| A thin band of gold, resembling a collar, wrapped around his neck. A large ruby with dark fire snapping in it sat in the middle. Thin carvings were heavy on the edges, tiny chunks of some dark metal were set into the designs. "Please, no..." Ranma almost sobbed. It was all real. He was a reincarnated Prince of Darkness who had drank undead blood...He giggled almost hysterically at the thought of him as a vampire. |I know no fear...I will allow it to wash through me and out me as I rise above it...| He kept repeating, trying to bring himself under control. Ranma took another tentative glance to the mirror, trying to find other tell-tale signs of a change. All he saw was normal blue eyes gazing back at him, cold as ice even though he was sick inside. |A martial artist experiences no fear...| He slowly walked back into the dining area.

"Nabiki, what does it look like?" Ranma asked, having a theory already of what she would say.

"It's a gold chain with a stone that looks like a ruby. Where did you get the money for that one Ranma? If I remember correctly, you still owe me quite a hefty sum."

"It was...something I picked up in China. I just found it again recently." He mumbled, looking down. "I have to leave for school." He stood up and nodded towards Kasumi. "Thanks for the breakfast, Kasumi." He called, even though his bowl remained untouched. He was about to walk out the door when she called.

"Hold on a minute, Ranma-kun, and let me make your bento up." Kasumi shuffled into the kitchen and retuned a minute later with a small box in her hands. "Have fun at school."

"Arigatou Kasumi, and I will." Ranma gave her a formal bow before heading out, ignoring Akane as she called for him to stop.

------

"Ranma, wait up!" Akane yelled as he sped ahead, a red blur all she saw. |Stupid jerk!| She thought as she cursed him under her breath. |...cute though...| Akane blushed and quickly ground that thought into the ground, replacing the warm feelings with anger.

"Ranma no BAKA" And Akane felt the rage run through her mind in a hot wave, not noticing as she increased her speed to run after him. She got in the gates right as the late bell rang, wincing when Principle Kunou told her to report to his office. As she followed him, she looked up at her class window to see Ranma leaning out with a malicious smirk on his face.

------

|Hmmm...She's going to become a problem, I can see it now. I don't want to dispose of her, I still have something akin to tenderness for her...nah...just protective instinct to an object that belongs to me. Best not turn her either, waste of energy as she's not strong enough to be of much use to me...| Ranma ignored the strange lower level of thoughts running below his regular musings of sleep and martial arts. He unknowingly expanded his senses and found Akane's location by the steady flame of anger radiating from her delicate body. He wetted his lips and began to unconciously siphon off bits of her energy. He began to tune in a little more to the teacher as he felt strangely energized. |Must be the meditation I've been doing lately.| He mused.

"...and you must have a squared formula to correctly interpert the parabola..."

On second thought, maybe he would be better off sleeping. Ranma lay his head down and soon drifted off into a place of forgotten memories.

------

"WHY HAVE YOU TURNED TRAITOR TO ME, MY SON?" the voice rumbled like soft thunder through the demon-filled cavern. Standing before him, Ranma, known then as Lord Chaos, betrayed no tremble to show his slight increase in fear at confronting the only father figure he had known.

"I have not betrayed you, Master...father. I only want to stay with Urd. I think I feel...love for her."

"IT CANNOT BE. A DEMON, ESPECIALLY A LORD OF DARKNESS, DOES NOT KNOW LOVE. YOU SIMPLY LUST FOR HER. I WILL FORGIVE YOU OF YOUR ERRORS IF YOU COME BACK TO ME, MY SON. BESIDES, YOUR GENERAL WOULD KNOW NO END TO HIS OWN PERSONAL HELL IF YOU LEFT HIM. YOU ARE THE ONE WHO SUSTAINS HIM IN THE BALANCE." The figure on the throne sat forward slightly, bringing his visage into view of the gray light. A slightly narrow face with smoky quartz eyes and black hair stared into the near-replica of himself. He stepped off his ebony throne and strode towards his adopted son. "DO YOU REALLY WANT TO LEAVE YOUR HOME?" He asked as he made a sweeping gesture around the room, various demons that had helped raise him, including the sometimes wife of Satan, Belial, watching him intently. Belial rose from the smaller throne and walked towards Chaos.

"Will you leave me? Leave your brothers and sisters? Leave your beloved? He is your mate...and the pure blood mate for all eternity...My Lord-husband will not let you back through Hell's gates if you go. One cannot toe the line between the sides and escape unscathed." She asked in a soft voice, one black eye and one green eye focusing on his strained face.

"Why can't I be the area between?"

"Because...Because my son, there is no gray in this world..." Her tone fell as the scene faded from Ranma's mind. Her last words echoed in his head. "...there is no gray..."

------

Ranma woke stragely calm when the bell rang, pulling him out of memory-dreams that had plagued him since the vision of darkness had come to him in his room. Slowly, Ranma was beginning to remember things as they were absorbed back into his conciousness. The idea of being the son of Satan was no longer frightning. In fact, some of him memories brought an almost home-sick like feel to him. Looking at the empty room and his teacher staring at him strangely, Ranma leapt out the open window and moved with the wind to the bridge, hoping to try and sort stuff out.

He sat near the edge of the water wearily. The one thing he had yet to figure out was why he was in a mortal body to begin with, and what happened at the end of his days as Lord Chaos. |Urd...who was she? Why did I leave my mate for her? And for that matter, who was my mate?!| Settling back, Ranma tried to enter the deep reaches of those blocked off sections of his psyche. He heard the distant yowl of a cat and felt a vague sense of vertigo as he snapped back to himself...curled up in Ryouga's lap.

------
TBC...