Romance Fan Fiction / Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ White Angel ❯ New Beginnings ( Chapter 1 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

New Beginnings
Moving day has to be one of the most unpredictable days in a child's life. Especially if you happen to be four years old and unable to fully comprehend what change really means. My parents decided one day that they needed a change in scenery, at least that's how they put it. The also said that our town was to old fashion and didn't know how to accept differences in people. All I knew at the time was that I didn't have to see mean Bobby anymore at the park; so I was happy to play along with this change.
The move itself went pretty well, at least only a few glasses had to be replaced. I know my parents wanted to feel like this new place would be more accepting than our home town, but as the days went by our family still seemed to get those odd glances from the locals. When it comes to people growing up with the mindset that different equals bad, change is nonexistent.
The reason that my family was always gawked at was because I was diseased. At least that's what the mothers of the kids on the playground use to say. They would whisper things like “Don't play with her; she has a disorder” or “Best stay away from her she is sick with a disease.” Of course they didn't do such a good job at whispering since I heard every word. I even remember going home one day and asking my mom for medicine. She just looked at me funny and asked if I didn't feel good. Of course I felt fine and then I told her what the people from the park were saying. She gave me such a serious look that I almost thought she was mad at me, but then she smiled.
“You don't have a disease or a disorder sweetie. You are mommy's special girl. Her white angel.” She then rubbed the top of my head and sent me off with some cookies.
My mother always called me her white angel, due to the fact that my hair is as white as snow and my skin is just as pale. Unfortunately at age four I couldn't comprehend the idea that I was an albino, so my mother would just brush away my differences and called me her special girl. She knew I wouldn't understand if she told me that I was born with the disorder albinism and it would have just made me feel even worse. I probably would have asked her if there was medicine to fix me.
My parents were very loving and understanding about my differences. I loved them both dearly. My mother was my best friend. She was an artist, even though my dad just called her a stay at home mom. I didn't mind because I always knew that when I got home from school she would always be there. My father, on the other hand, was a lawyer and spent a lot of time at work, but when he was home he would spend as much time with me as possible; at least in the beginning.
It only took about a couple of weeks for our family to finish unpacking. It was our mission to finish before I started kindergarten. I was excited since I would get to meet new kids to play with. While unpacking, I wasn't really able to get to the parks and playgrounds so I really didn't know anyone. I couldn't wait for my first day.
“Come on Allison or you will be late for your first day of school!” yelled my mother from downstairs. I just couldn't decide which stuffed animal to bring with me so I decided to bring two instead. After I grabbed everything I needed I hurried downstairs where breakfast waited on the table.
“Are you excited for your first day?” my mother asked as she sat across from me at the table. Her face glowed as she smiled.
“Of course, Mommy.” I smiled as I took a bite of my cereal. I then paused and looked up at her with concern. “Do you think the other kids will like me?”
“And why wouldn't they like you? You are one of the sweetest girls I know.” she smiled.
I smiled and hurried to finish my cereal. I rushed around and got completely ready and stood in front of my mother, looking up at her. She just smiled at me and placed a hat on my head.
“Now don't forget to wear your hat if you go outside. We don't need a rosy pink girl coming home,” she laughed.
“Ok Mommy.” I replied and soon we were both out of the house and off to school.
When I first stepped into the classroom I felt how a goldfish must feel its entire life. All the children turned and stared at me. It made me feel extremely nervous. Thankfully the teacher approached me with a half smile and told me where to put my things. By the time I was seated at my desk, none of the other kids would even glance at me. They all were busy talking to others who they either knew or just met. I just sat there and watched, feeling quite alone. Soon the teacher spoke and all was quiet as she talked about our first year of school.
During recess time, none of the kids would even approach me. I was glanced at, however, by the older kids from first and second grade, but still they would quickly look away and go back to playing. One time I got the courage to go up to a couple of girls, but they just looked at me nervously and ran off to go play a round of tag in the field. I hoped that they didn't think I was sick like those other parents back at home. Maybe since I'm new they are nervous and shy. Maybe it will just take a little bit for them to get to know me, I thought to myself. For the rest of break I just played in the sandbox with my two friends I brought from home.
Once break was over we all went back to class for a brief wrap up and to wait for our parents to come get us. Seeing my mother walk through the door made me feel so much better. I ran and hugged her as hard as I could.
“Oh I missed you too sweetie,” she said as she glanced around the classroom. Her smile soon diminished into a more serious look as she picked up my things. I noticed that the kids were back to staring at both my mother and I.
My mother soon got my attention by taking my hand in hers. “Lets go home angel. Daddy is waiting with lunch.”
The next day of school seemed to be the same as the first, minus the kids staring at me when I first went through the door. They just merely ignored me entirely. I soon put my things away and went to sit at my seat. Class began and it was soon recess time. All the other kids rejoiced but I was indifferent. It really didn't matter what we were doing since I felt like I didn't quite belong.
I followed my classmates outside and was suddenly pushed to the ground. I really didn't understand what had just happened as I sat on the ground trying to get my bearings. Once my head stopped spinning I looked up to figure out what had happened. I didn't expect to see a couple of first graders loaming over; smiling and laughing at me.
“My mother said that we shouldn't touch you cause you are a freak, a freak of nature,” one of the boys said while pointing at me.
“Why don't you and your family go back to your home planet alien Allison!” the girl of the group laughed and soon the other two boys started to laugh.
“Alien Allison, alien Allison, alien Allison,” the kids started to chant through their fits of laughter.
I could feel the tears start to form in my eyes. I didn't understand why they were saying such things. I'm not different from them. Just because I don't look the same doesn't mean I'm not a kid just like them. I…I'm just a bit special. I was soon taken away from my teary thoughts when one of the boys took my hat.
“Why wear a hat? It's not raining outside weirdo,” he said as he waved it in front of me. I hurried to stand up and tried to get it back. I knew that mommy always said that I have to wear a hat when going outside and that was the only thing going through my mind.
“Give it back. My mommy says I have to wear it. Please give it back,” I begged as I kept reaching for it. Each time the boy would pull it away just out of my grasp. The girl soon took it and put it on her head.
“You know I think this hat fits me much better than this alien freak. I think I'll keep it,” she smiled and laughed at me.
“Please, my mother gave me that. I need it.” I could feel the tears start to run down my cheek and I soon dropped to the ground burying my face in my hands.
“Oh look! Alien Allison is going to cry,” the second boy laughed. Soon the rest of the group began to laugh as well.
They continued to laugh until I heard the girl yell out “Hey!” I happened to look up and saw another boy who was a bit taller than the three first graders. He was holding my hat and looking down at me with a soft smile. He then looked away and leered at the three first graders. All three of them looked frightened.
“Oh, hey. We were just fooling around with the new girl. We didn't mean any harm. Just don't rat on us ok and we wont bother her anymore,” the leader boy spoke with a nervous laugh.
“If I catch you bothering her again I will make sure my buddies and I take care of you three in our own way,” the boy holding my hat spoke with a serious tone. “You three should know better than to pick on the kindergartners. Now scram!” With that the three quickly left but I noticed the girl looked back at me and smirked.
I didn't know what to think. I just stared up at this boy before me with my tear stained cheeks. He looked down at me and smiled that same soft smile as before. He then knelt down and gently placed the hat on top of my head and helped me to my feet while introducing himself.
That was the first time I ever spoke to Max. The only person to ever really see past my outside appearance and look at me as if I were normal.