Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ Sorrow's Light ❯ Prologue ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Once again! This is the part where I tell you what I do and don't own, so yea!
 
Alright, here is the prologue to my next story! I hope you all like it, and will tell me what you think about it! Look forward to it! This time, I'm trying to head for a little more emotion then last time, since remember, it is supposed to be that way! Anyways, here is the sequel to At A Glance. Enjoy!
 
Sorrow's Light
 
Prologue
 
 
 
Amazing, truly amazing. It's been a month since the time of the death of Lena's family. It's hard to imagine what it must be like, but then again, I can definitely sympathize. After all, I did loose my grandfather in a similar fashion…through the tools of war.
 
The trick had been low down, dirty to the point. Tricking us by hiding their presence, letting us have a good time on “vacation” as they led Kayura around in circles, trying to hide their tracks. Then, when we come back, they arrive in full vengeance, the death of innocents upon their retched hands. None of us can forgive it, none of us really will.
 
Lena's birthday passed, but she had no real joy in turning seventeen. It merely reminded all of us how alone she was outside of all of us, and that the dreams she had of sharing the time with her true family were torn apart on he fates of wind and fed to the wolves of terror.
 
I find that it is my job to write about these things, the ways they transpired. After all, this is what I have done since I met the Ronins, since I was apart of the war with Talpa. Nothing has ever been easy, but then again, why do we expect it to be at times.
 
It's roughly a week before Christmas, and the skirmishes between the Demons and us are rather small. Brief skirmishes, and each have been nothing to do with the actual front of the enemy that we are fighting. For some reason, we've only ran into the ones that are out for themselves. Sure, Kayura explained to us that there are demons that have helped us, but the majority fall under Lethias's rule since he hadn't shunned them as others had…as the Ancient's had. The problem became that the enemy was where they had found acceptance. A few saw it our way, but it wasn't to entirely be.
 
Kayura. Now there is something that I find interesting. Kayura is the one who has led us since the old Ancient died. On the day that she had apologized to us for not warning us about the Demons, she made the promise to keep us informed about anything else to do with the demons in this battle. True to her word, she comes by twice a week if she can, sometimes more to make sure that we know about what is going on. I think it is because she still feels guilty in some way for what had happened, and by all means, I can understand. It just impresses me to think that Kayura could be susceptible to something such as guilt like that. I don't think Lena even notices anymore.
 
The rest is left to be determined, I believe. After all, I'm left with the impression that something big is about to happen. Taiki is in control, or so I take it, instead of his revenge lusting father, yet he waits like he was stalking fore his prey. It wears us thin, but then again, I think we all can understand the need for patience.
 
However, the spirit of our group has taken the feel of the disheartened. None of us like the scene that had taken place. The psychological effects are begging to show, no doubt what Taiki wanted. Each person feared for their family, despite the fact that as soon as they had gotten there, they had each seen their families alive and well, as Lena reinforced protections for each of them.
 
No demons would get to them the way that they had Lena. I watched her face, and for the first time in the month, during that, I saw a spark of her former fire. Her eyes, still spiritless, had a determination. She refused to let the monsters kill the other's hearts and homes. The amazing thing is that each of the families, Sage's, Kento's and Cye's…each had heard of what had happened to the girl out in the USA, though as a slightly modified version.
 
What astounded me, though shouldn't have, was the fact that each of them took up her case in their own ways. The other guys were like family to them, so why couldn't this girl be the same way? Each of them began to look after the girl I now have responsibility for, and for that, I think, I'm grateful. It goes a long way, though we can't see what it does for us now.
 
Something, though, just something tells me that we don't have to worry for too long though. For some reason, I can tell that it will be alright. Something will come to help us, and then, we will be the team we once were. I have to believe in that…the demons are too close not to have hope in something.
 
 
Mia put her pen down, blinking slightly as she rubbed her eyes. Glancing at the clock from the swing on her balcony, she spied the time. Five `o' clock. Just five in the afternoon, and already tired. Then again, it could have been the winter. Christmas was coming up, and sure, she put up all the decorations, but at the same time, little can be said for cheer.
 
Shaking her head, she stood, heading down the stairs to where Cye was cooking dinner. Shaking her head, she watched the auburn haired boy cook. Surely, he took joy in the work, but the times were taking a toll on the poor Ronin of Torrent. Signs of exhaustion and worry laid their marks upon the boy's face. The poor guy was obviously too in tune with how others felt, and as such, trusting them to be alright was making the sitation at hand more difficult.
 
He glanced up at her, smiling softly in his own gentle way, which she returned. But she took notice that the smile looked strained, as if his worries about his friends left him with nothing else to do. She sighed inwardly, knowing that his friends were the cause of his worry.
 
Turning, she spotted Kento outside, thrashing out a rather complicated training exercise in the snow in an effort to occupy himself before dinner and work out his troubles together. He had always been like that, working his troubles out in sheer force. She recalled what he had been asking her for a month. Why was Lena always down? It didn't make sense to him, since he usually whirled around and beat his anger out. Even now, she saw the vestiges of his temper flaring in the way that only Kento's could as he tried to bear and understand what it was that kept drawing his newly found sis away from the group in a fashion he couldn't appreciate. His straight forward ways, however, had left him inept at trying to help the girl as he wanted to, leaving him the way he was now and unable to respond to the others who delt with hardship in their own ways.
 
Leaving the kitchen and the windows, she turned into the living room and blinked gently. There sat Rowen, appearing immersed within the volume before him. Focusing on something seemed to be his own quiet way of thinking, as if that book that he hardly was paying attention to would ward the world away from him as he pretended to search it's words for something that could change what was going on around them. The strain upon the Warrior of Strata wasn't as obvious, but he had become more reclusive, trying to focus on the thinking parts, when in reality, just feeling would have helped him so much more.
 
Walking up the stairs in search of the others, she glanced into the room that Sage and Rowen both shared. There sat Sage, silent as he meditated. Perhaps this was Sage's way of dealing. Personally, she had never seen him so quiet, refusing to respond even to the girls who were focused his way. To others, he seemed to have gone cold, but his close friends knew better. This time, it wasn't that. He was searching within himself to try to find the answer…to make his friends feel better the way Lena had cleared his mind by listening to him that one night at the Cabin. Unfortunately, seeing those deaths before him had sent him into a relapse of that state of mind, since he was forced to relieve what he had originally thought before during the week of their return. He, of them all, was furthest along in getting out of the depression, since he saw it objectively and the ways to defeat it. He wasn't about to let it win, it just wasn't his nature to even think about such a blasphemy of terms. This time, he wanted to make sure that he could heal the others like he always had.
 
Moving to the next room, Mia paused, spying Ryo sitting in the window of his room. His ever silent gaze stared unseeing out along the white expanse that encompassed the outside. His lips pursed into a line told Mia more then she ever thought she would need to know about what was going on here. Despite being surrounded by his friends, forgetting the tiger that slept at his feet, he was feeling the grief and guilt of the things that had happened a month ago. He felt that the whole thing was his fault, since it was he that had taken out Lethias last time, but somehow left him alive. He hadn't thought it possible, but here was living proof. To him, he had failed Lena badly…and the rest of his friends.
 
Mia knew otherwise. He hadn't failed any of them in any fashion, but she knew as well that Ryo wouldn't listen until the guys and Lena began to pull from their states of lethargy long enough to stop the moods of depression. Turning to head back downstairs, she sighed. This whole gloom thing wasn't working for her. She was just glad that Yulie hadn't seen any of which had happened, and was safely at home with his parents as he should be.
 
Stepping into the hallway, she opened into her library at her house. There sat Lena, sleeping for what seemed soundly for the first time in possibly days. A book was falling from her hands to the ground as she slouched down, unaware. Mia sighed. This was the toughest case in the house, due to the girl's withdrawing and trying to hide what was going on. A fatal flaw, as far as Mia was concerned, since it meant that the girl had to hide everything that she felt as if it was the only way out of a bad situation. Shaking her head, she was merely glad that her charge was sleeping. She doubted that Lena would keep on like this, but then again, she knew it would take time.
 
Turning once more to grab a blanket to cover Lena, she shook her head from side to side as she covered the girl, wishing that something would happen that would break them all from the lethargy that they had sunken into. There was an easier way…had to be. Lena didn't have to worry about taking care of anything at all as it was, meaning that she could focus on the important. Either way, something had to happen.
 
The silence was killing her, the time of doing nothing. The demons weren't focusing on them right now, they weren't attacking, and they hadn't been much trouble since they had all gotten here…but then again, who had possibly noticed it before?
 
That was when Mia heard it, the slamming of the front door as well as Rowen's startled voice. Yulie was here…strangely enough, and his voice sounded like he was crying. Mia gasped to herself, praying that it wasn't more bad news as she rushed to the door, needing to know what was going on.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
 
Author's note: Well, there ya go! The start of my next story. I know, a little dull, but I wanted to show what had gone on at this point, since it was nearing Christmas in this story, so I figured that it should go on like that. Anyways, I hope that the story work our well beyond this chapter! Till then!
 
Hikaru