Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ Tears of the Immortal ❯ To Return to the Beginnig ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Tears of the Immortal
 
“To Return to the Beginning”
 
He weaved through the crowd, bag slung over his shoulder. The smell of asphalt, sweat and men's room antiseptic filled the air. Gods he hated airports. Whatever possessed him to do this? Running his fingers through his shaggy red hair in frustration he growled in annoyance. Damn! He still had Customs to go through.
 
The Customs officer checked over his passport and asked him the usual series of questions. The language was one he had not spoken for decades, but he was still able to answer each question to the satisfaction of the officer. Shifting his bag to a more comfortable position he walked into a country he had left behind a long time ago. Looking around for a familiar face he frowned in annoyance when nothing but a sea of blank faces met him.
 
“Ryo?!” At the surprised exclamation he turned and came face to face with a very surprised Cye.
 
“Hey.” Ryo said softly a wry grin making its way onto his face.
 
“What did you do to your hair?” Ryo spun a couple of the fiery strands through his fingers and smirked.
 
“Oh this?” He shrugged nonchalantly, “I felt like a change. It's not permanent or anything.” Then mumbling softly to himself, “Nothing really is.”
 
“It matches your temper.” A new voice called out from the side. Ryo turned to face the newcomer and was greeted by the sight of Sage and Rowen, the duo grinning widely at him.
 
“Hey guys what's up?”
 
“Sage's Net Value.”
 
Ryo cocked an eyebrow at that statement, and Sage rolled his eyes in good-humored frustration.
 
“Jeeze Ro, it's not that fascinating.”
 
“I think it's hilarious.”
 
Ryo looked to Sage silently asking for an explanation. Catching his look Sage responded.
“Those investments I made 40 years ago are really paying off, that's all.”
 
“There's an understatement, he's a freakin' billionaire now!” Rowen chimed in laughingly, “Isn't that right, Date-dono?” Sage shot Rowen an evil look and Ryo's mouth twitched in amusement.
 
“Date-dono?” Ryo asked softly, arching an eyebrow at Sage's expression. Sage shoved Rowen playfully.
 
“It's just something my accountants started calling me. Rowen caught it one day and thought it was amusing. Now he won't just let it die.”
 
“Have they ever seen you?” Ryo asked softly, a strange echo in his voice. Sage's smile twinged slightly and a shadow passed over his eyes so quickly it was nearly impossible to catch before he answered brightly.
 
“Yes, but I was posing as my son, so everything is well.”
 
Ryo nodded slightly then looked around the crowded airport terminal.
 
“Where's Kento?”
 
Cye cocked a smile in amusement.
 
“Need you ask?” He responded, “He complained that the wait was making him hungry. So he went to grab some food at the food court.”
 
Ryo sighed and ran his finger through his hair again.
 
“Let's get Blaze out of storage first, he gets antsy when he's cooped up too long.”
 
When Ryo was 14, he had created a major riot in downtown Shinjiku walking down the street with Whiteblaze at his side. Now, over 100 years later, not a single person screamed in terror or even batted an eye as he released the 900lb White Siberian Tiger from his cage and gave him a good scratch in greetings.
There had been no tigers in the wild for nearly 50 years, one of the many species of animals that had lost the battle of survival against humanity. However, thanks to genetic engineering most species survived in Zoos or as personal pets. Thus it was not uncommon to come across a timber wolf or giraffe in the backyard, or see someone taking the family bear out for a walk.
Whiteblaze gave his front paw a brief lick, and twitched his tail in anticipation. Ryo could tell the feline was excited to be back home in Japan. The tiger had never really been happy in the various cities and towns they had live in while in America. The lush forests surrounding Mia's old home would be a very welcome sight to the repressed Tiger.
Slinking gracefully through the crowds of people the Ancient Tiger followed his master as he had for over a century, while softly reaffirming his companionship with the human men by his side.
 
They found Kento in the food court, working his way through a large ham and pineapple pizza with a side of cheese fries.
 
“Hey Ryo! Nice hair.” The cheerful Chinese boy called out in greeting, taking a brief break from his meal.
 
“You haven't changed a bit Kento.” Ryo smiled ruefully, sitting down at the table across from the grinning boy.
 
“Hey, I can't help it if I've got a fast metabolism. It's not as if age is going to slow me down.”
 
Ryo flinched and looked away, while the others laughed.
 
“So how was life in America?” Cye asked slipping into a chair and sitting back.
 
Ryo sighed, leaned back and crossed his arms over his chest. Frowning thoughtfully at the ceiling he replied slowly.
 
“If you stare at a bright light for too long your vision becomes overwhelmed and you begin to get a headache. Even if you manage to block some of the light it's still there and the pain does not diminish.” He shifted and faced Cye, “I've had a headache for the past five years.”
 
“Soooo…. Did you have fun?” Kento asked.
 
“Yeah, I had fun.” Ryo answered softly not really sounding like he meant it. Looking up suddenly at the group around him he queried, “Where is everyone else?”
 
“They're all at the house, they felt it wasn't their place to come, and they didn't want to get in the way.” Rowen responded, picking at the cheese fries in front of him.
 
“They wouldn't have… `sigh' never mind, it'll be nice to see everyone again.”
 
“It's nice to see you too Ryo.” Sage replied.
 
He watched as Whiteblaze raced alongside the van, easily keeping up with the speeding vehicle. Japan had changed a great deal in the past twenty years. Thanks mostly to the efforts of ZPG (zero population growth) the overcrowded cities of the past had largely disappeared. The overall human population of the world had decreased by 14% since the late 20th century and the positive effects of this could easily be seen. Traffic flowed easily along the wide streets and since less room was needed for residences more trees and parks decorated the city.
With an effort Ryo pulled his mind out of his own thoughts and back to Sage, who had been talking for a while.
 
“… Don't realize I have no intention of selling them.”
 
“What?” Ryo asked somewhat blearily.
 
“Have you been paying attention to anything I've said?” Sage questioned slightly peeved.
 
“No.” Ryo said point blank.
 
Breaking in before Sage could get angry Cye spoke up.
 
“Give him a break Sage, he's had a long flight, and it's 2am back in the States right now.” Turning back to Ryo Cye continued, “Sage was just discussing some of the problems we've been having regarding Mia's property.”
 
“Problems?”
 
“Basically there are a lot of groups interested in the Koji land due to the old growth forest.” Rowen supplied.
 
“Yeah, those trees are older than us.” Kento exclaimed.
 
“Several construction companies want to cut down the trees to make houses.” Cye continued.
 
“While the environmental groups are calling for their protection and want to make the forest into a national Park.” Rowen finished.
 
“Both groups can just back off!” Sage exclaimed angrily, “The forest stays just the way it is!”
 
“It reminds me of Mia and Yulie.” Ryo's quiet voice floated softly around the car. The others quieted and the rest of the car ride was done in silence, each human caught up in his own thoughts.
 
 
Mia's house had hardly changed at all since he last saw it. Even though the mansion was well over 100 years old it looked well cared for and sturdy. Whiteblaze gave a roar of approval and bounded towards the forest at a breakneck pace. Ryo smiled softly and went to grab his bag from the back. He looked up as the front door swung open and a familiar voice called out.
 
“Well Wildfire welcome home.”
 
 
 
And I shall end it here. No I am not evil, each chapter has a certain theme to it and this particular was done. If you want the next chapter up soon I require 5 reviews at least. If I get more I might put up the next chapter faster. Now to answer reviews.
 
Queen Diamond- I hope I have met with your approval, this story is trying to relay a message and I hope I am doing it well.
 
Silver-Kalan- Thank you so much, that is exactly what I was aiming for.
 
Hashiba42- Thank you for your kind words, With as many fan writers as there are out there, one is hard pressed to come up with an original idea.
 
Fae- Thank you so very much
 
Mistress jade- I hadn't thought of it that way, but I guess in a way you are correct. Please continue reading
 
FirecatRekka- I'm glad you're hooked I will continue as long as there is interest.
 
DarrkKatt- I do not respond to threats.
 
Catgirl Serenity- I am glad you are enjoying all my work, I refuse to let any of my stuff die so though the updates will be far between they will happen.
 
Stormy_Rose- As you wish.