Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ Warrior Call ❯ To Unbind a Tortured Soul ( Chapter 22 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Ronin Warriors

Warrior Call

By Janime

Part Twenty-two - To Unbind a Tortured Soul

Some people believe that when night falls, the peacefulness of sleep protects you from any unpleasantries. And there are those who know of the secrets hidden in the calm darkness.

Those who do know better currently reside in a light tan colored mansion overlooking a beautiful lake that was a short walking distance away. They slumbered fitfully with the occasional movement, mumble or light snore.

Despite the serene state the nine house inhabitants endured, deep within their minds, their thoughts went to a certain three--a leader, a friend, and a pet tiger--who were in another place very different from their own.

Jessie had been unable to fall asleep. Something deep inside was gnawing at her, keeping her from reaching the bliss of relaxation. Ryo and White Blaze had long since nodded off and Jessie envied them of their contentment.

I want to fall asleep! Jessie thought miserably. Is that too much to ask? Quietly she stood up and left the room. What is wrong with me? Jessie frowned as she walked along the pathway.

Three days had come and gone since Onikisu was released, and Jessie still wore the Mystic Armor. She hadn't seen anyone else's memories during that time period. Kayura had said it might be a good sign; that the Mystic Armor would come off. And after ten days of wearing it, Jessie was more than happy to be free of it.

I can only hope, she thought. Wait a minute… how'd I get here so fast? Jessie stared at the building she had discovered a few days earlier, the one with the sealed door underneath. Why here? The door!

Jessie ran inside and down the staircase; she could just about see the door with the light that was permitted in the dim room. She reached out to the seal; hesitated, remembering what happened the last time she touched it.

I don't care! Jessie grabbed the seal and pulled. The pain flew through her body, like sharp icicles scrapping the inside of her skin. Jessie screamed; every nerve was on fire, but she held on. Finally, the seal ripped off the lock. Jessie fell backwards and hit the ground hard. She tried to move but her body felt like lead. Jessie heard a low clicking noise above her ragged breathing. Without a doubt, she knew it was the door lock.

Kayura… Jessie thought as her eyes slowly closed. It's open…

The sharp pain surging through every nerve brought Ryo to full alert. When the pain subsided, another feeling came--something fading, like a candle ready to burn out. Ryo turned his head to the left, only to discover a vacant area.

Oh no! Ryo jumped up. "White Blaze!" he yelled. The tiger immediately awoke. When the beast saw that Jessie wasn't in the room, he followed Ryo as the Wildfire Ronin sprinted down to Dayus and Kayura's room.

"Kayura!" Ryo pounded his fists on the door. "Jessie's gone!"

Moments later, the door flew open. Kayura stood in her night robe and Dayus was tying his belt. At any other given day, Ryo would have said something, but now was not the time for jokes.

"How long has she been missing?" Kayura asked.

"I don't know!" said Ryo. "I was sleeping! A sharp pain woke me and that's when I noticed!"

"What's going on?" Sekhmet demanded, poking his head through the doorway to his room.

"Enough with the shouting already," Cale said as he opened his room door.

"Jessie's missing," Dayus told them.

"That's it," said Sekhmet, "she's going on a leash."

"Any idea where she went?" Cale asked, adjusting the belt of his robe as he walked towards Ryo.

"You don't think she went to the armory again, do you?" Sekhmet asked, worried.

"No, she's not at the armory," the Ronin leader said. "I can feel her; Jessie's not far but…" Ryo shut his eyes and focused. In his mind, Ryo saw Jessie lying on the ground. Behind her was a staircase with light at the top of the steps.

That better not be the stairway to Heaven, he thought. "There's a staircase behind her," Ryo said, opening his eyes. "I think she's underground."

"The door," said Dayus. "I know where she is." The Illusion Warlord quickly led the others to the crumbled building and ran down the steps.

Ryo and Sekhmet went to Jessie and they moved her to a sitting position. Ryo let Jessie lean against him as Sekhmet held Jessie's head up to allow her to breathe easier. "Jessie, what did you do?" Sekhmet asked.

"The…door…" Jessie managed to say.

Kayura, Dayus, and Cale looked at the door. Cale bent down and picked up a piece of the shattered seal. "How did you break it?" he asked.

"We had a contest of wills," Jessie grinned wearily.

Kayura walked over to the door. She knew something was behind it, and it felt familiar. Kayura reached out and turned the lever, which had been hidden by the seal, one-quarter clockwise. The thick wooden beam slid into the wall, and the door creaked open towards them. Kayura made the Staff appear. "Dayus," she said.

Her husband walked to the door and pushed it open. The door hit the wall with a dull thud and remained still. Kayura walked inside the dark room. The Staff glowed, lighting up a small area around her. She had only taken a few steps into the room when her right foot hit something on the floor. Kayura lowered the Staff to reveal a raised floor tile with a small hole in the center.

The Staff could fit into that, Kayura thought. To test her theory, Kayura held the Staff upright and moved it so that the pole end was above the hole. Carefully, she lowered the Staff. A low click echoed through the room. Kayura released the Staff; it started to rotate clockwise slowly. When it completed a complete circle, the tile sank until it was flush with the rest of the floor.

The Staff's light grew brighter, the rings clanged loud and rapidly. The glow from the Staff seemed to melt into the floor. The floor tiles began to glow, and it spread to the walls and even to the ceiling, lighting the entire room.

Kayura gasped as the sight before her. The room she was standing in was actually a short hallway leading into a much larger room, twice the size of the first and second floor combined of the Koji mansion. Inside the room, from floor to ceiling, were rows upon rows of bookshelves, housing numerous scrolls and books. All of them marked with a blue colored wax seal bearing the Ancient Staff.

"Daddy, what are you doing?"

"I'm reading a scroll."

"What's a scroll?"

"It's a long sheet of paper that you write on," he smiled and lifted his daughter to his lap. "See, it has the history of our Clan written here."

"Can I read the scroll?" his daughter looked at him with bright eyes.

"Someday you will, Kayura."

"Kayura?" Dayus called. "Are you all right?"

"Yes," she answered, staggering a little from the memory. "Father…" Kayura whispered.

A hand touched her shoulder, making Kayura jump. She turned quickly and faced Dayus. He looked at his wife with concern. "What is it?"

"The scrolls… an-and the books…" Kayura kept switching her gaze between the articles and her husband.

"All of them are from your Clan," said Jessie.

Kayura took the Staff and walked with Dayus out of the room. "You knew?" Kayura asked.

Jessie nodded. She was sitting on her own now, but Sekhmet and Ryo remained beside her. "I saw the memory after I pulled the seal off," Jessie said. "Every piece of knowledge that was written down by your Clan is inside that room. If not all of it, then I'd say at least ninety-five percent. Talpa couldn't let all of that be destroyed."

"And that's why he kept me alive," Kayura surmised, looking back at the scrolls. "I don't know what to say, Jessie."

"It's my gift to you," Jessie said. "Happy Birthday, Kayura."

"If I knew when it was."

"Actually, I should say 'belated' since today is the seventeenth. Your birthday was on the twelfth."

"My birthday is December twelfth?" Kayura asked excitedly.

"Yup," Jessie confirmed, "five days ago. And as for you three, as soon as I figure out your birthdays, I'll let you know."

"Our birthdays can wait," said Sekhmet. "The Armor comes off first."

"Believe me, I cannot wait for the d-" Jessie inhaled sharply and her head went back.

Ryo immediately put his arms tightly around Jessie. Something was terribly wrong. It felt as if Jessie was slipping away. She mumbled something.

"What is it, Jessie?" Ryo asked.

"Fifteen…fourteen…fourteen…thirteen…five&he llip;" Jessie rasped out. "Fourteen no longer alive…" She started shaking violently.

"Her spirit!" said Ryo. "I can barely feel her!"

Kayura ran to Jessie, placing her hand on the girl's forehead. "The ceremonial room," said Kayura. "We have to get the Armor off now or we'll lose her. Cale, get the other Ronins. We'll meet you there."

"Right," Cale said and ran up the stairs.

Ryo lifted Jessie into his arms as he stood up. "You'll be all right, Jess," he reassured her.

{Just to be safe,} she sent to him, weakly, {I think one of you better get me a robe or something.}

Cale appeared in the middle of the four Ronins' bedroom. Sage was to his right. "Wake up!" Cale grabbed the Halo Ronin and shook him.

"Hmmm…?" Sage blinked a few times. When his eyes finally focused, he saw the Warlord of Corruption looming over him. Sage yelled and swung his left arm. Cale quickly jumped back, and the momentum from Sage's action sent the blonde tumbling to the floor. The pale turquoise carpet did absolutely nothing to soften his painful landing, and the commotion woke the other Ronins.

Cye turned on his lamp. "Cale," he said, blinking his eyes, "what are you doing here?"

"He's trying to kill me!" Sage yelled as he stood up.

"You're not worth the time or the energy," Cale said, which received him a deadly glare from the blonde.

"What's with the racket?" Casey asked as she walked into the room, wearing a light amber-colored negligee that just about covered her and left little for the imagination. The five men quickly covered their eyes. Cale, however, tried peeking between his fingers, not caring if his nose started bleeding or not.

"Casey," Joana ran in with the other girl's bathrobe, "you're not in your apartment. There are other people living here."

"I know!" Casey grabbed her robe and put it on.

"Why the late night visit, Cale?" Twyla yawned, standing at the door with Gwen and Mia.

"It's Jessie," the Warlord said. "Kayura said that the Armor has to come off now."

"What happened?" Rowen asked.

"Never mind that!" said Sage. "Let's go!"

"And we're coming," Gwen said. "Don't even try arguing with us."

"Fine," said Cale, pulling out a Gate Orb. Once the door opened, everyone sprinted through it, racing towards the ceremonial room.

"Wait outside," Kayura said to the girls.

"Kayura," Gwen spoke, "there has to be a way for us to help. We wore the Armors; maybe we have a link, too."

The Ancient turned her head and looked at Jessie. She was curled up on the floor in the center of the nine-pointed star, wearing a white robe as she had requested over the Mystic Armor. Ryo knelt beside her, running his hand lightly along her left arm.

Jessie needs all the help she can get, Kayura thought. "All right," she said. "Stand with them."

Mia watched from the door with White Blaze as everyone took their places. She looked at Ryo; his eyes telling her that he was afraid to lose Jessie--this time could be permanent.

Each Armor wearer spoke their kanji then Kayura recited the chant. The Mystic Armor began to glow. Jessie began to rise from the floor, her hair flying upwards as if a strong whirlwind had surrounded her, leaving the others in the room untouched.

Jessie floated up about three feet into the air. She started to spin clockwise, slowly at first then faster and faster until she was nothing more than a blur of brown, white, and dark gray.

"Kayura…" said Sage, eyes wide as he watched Jessie spin ferociously like a toy top.

Before the Ancient could say a word, the nine-pointed star on the floor started to glow. A column of pure white light shot up from the middle of the insignia, enveloping Jessie.

It was warm, and that made her feel safe. But there was something there with her; it bothered her yet she knew it would be all right.

"Jessie," a calm voice called gently. "Jessie."

Slowly, Jessie opened her eyes. "Anubis?" she asked as she sat up and looked at her surroundings. Jagged rocks, smooth slopes of green grass, and mists hovering beautiful waterfalls decorated the landscape. Animals of all kinds--real, extinct, and mythical walked around. "What is this place?" Jessie asked.

"We're in the deepest recesses of your mind," Anubis told her, helping Jessie to her feet.

"The ceremony," Jessie said and placed her right hand over her heart. Her fingers brushed against something metallic. She looked down; a dark gray chain encircling her neck, and from the chain hung a shiny oval stone, a shade darker than the chain. "The Mystic Armor," Jessie whispered.

"Yes," said Anubis. "In the subconscious, this is what the Armor looks like."

"How do I get it off?"

"I can't help you with that, Jessie. But he can."

She looked in the direction Anubis gestured to. Another man dressed in monk's clothing was sitting lotus position on the ground.

"Kaosu will help you," Anubis told her, gently pushing her towards the Ancient One. "You'll be all right." He watched Jessie walk slowly towards the other monk. As he started to fade back to the Spirit Realm, Anubis saw a dark shadow move from the right. What the… he started, and vanished from Jessie's mind.

Jessie stood before the Ancient One, her hands lightly gripping the stone at her neck. The monk raised his head. "I know that you are afraid, child," he said. "You have a strong spirit--that has helped you to make it this far. I am sorry that I did not tell you everything during your coma."

"I understand, Ancient One," Jessie said. "The Mystic Armor… how do I remove it and divide it back to the nine Armors?"

Kaosu rose to his feet; walking closer to Jessie, he placed his hands on her shoulders. "I will be honest; dividing the Mystic Armor will be easier than separating it from you. There are always risks involved."

Jessie nodded. "What do I have to do?"

He moved behind her, entwining his hands with hers. Jessie shifted nervously.

"Relax, child," the Ancient whispered. He stretched their hands out forward, and started to recite the chant he used over a thousand years ago.

Jessie closed her eyes and joined Kaosu's voice in the chant. A warm feeling surrounded her neck and she felt something pulling away from her, and it tried desperately to hold on. The warm feeling soon faded, and Jessie opened her eyes. Floating between her hands was a glowing silver orb.

Kaosu moved in front of Jessie, keeping his hands touching hers. "Virtue," they said as one. "Justice, Trust, Wisdom, Life, Loyalty, Piety, Obedience, Serenity."

As each kanji was spoken, the orb gave off a small pulse of light. Then a nine-pointed star within a circle appeared around the orb. The orb itself began to separate slowly, pulling towards each of the nine points, stretching like taffy until the orb split into nine.

"Cruelty," Jessie said quietly. "Venom, Corruption, Illusion, Strata, Halo, Torrent, Hardrock," she looked at the Ancient One. "And Wildfire."

"They will always be a part of you," Kaosu said. "They will protect you, and when the time comes you will protect them. And so shall your friends."

Jessie blinked at the Ancient One's words. Before she could ask what he meant, Kaosu disappeared. Jessie looked at the nine orbs hovering before her. The star vanished and the Armor Spheres floated to her and rested in Jessie's cupped hands.

"Protection," Jessie whispered. She closed her hands together and held the Armors over her heart. "We will protect each other."

But who will protect you from yourself, Dragon Child?

"What the hell is happening?!" yelled Sage, looking at the pillar of light in awe and fear.

You're asking me? Kayura thought.

The brightness of the pillar faded a bit, revealing Jessie, wearing only the white robe, her hands over her heart.

Ryo sighed inwardly as he saw that Jessie no longer had the Mystic Armor on her body. Slowly, Jessie floated down; the light disappeared the moment her bare feet touched the floor. She opened her hands; the nine Armor Spheres rose above her head and began to spin.

Jessie gracefully raised her left hand as if she was in a dream, to the middle of the circle. A water-like ripple started from her fingers. When it touched the Spheres, they flew out to their wearers. Each of the nine warriors caught their Armor Sphere, and felt the missing part of them return as their kanji glowed briefly on their brows.

Jessie lowered her hand and started to fall. Sage ran to her immediately, catching her and held her tightly. Kayura was soon beside them, and checked Jessie.

"Is she okay?" Sage asked quietly.

Kayura nodded with a smile. "She'll be just fine."

"She can come home now, right?" Joana asked hopefully.

"I'd like to keep her in the Dynasty--only for a couple days," Kayura said at the look on Sage's face. He nodded slightly as if approving. Sage gently picked Jessie up and carried her back to her room.

"What a night," Kento yawned as he collapsed onto his bed. "Don't wake me up for another twenty hours."

"Here, here," said Rowen, plopping himself on his own bed.

"Well, I guess I won't have any problems making breakfast," said Cye.

"What are you going to make?" Kento asked.

"I'll figure it out when I get to the kitchen," Cye grinned. He looked over at Sage; the Halo Ronin had a serious look on his face as he rolled his Armor Sphere between his fingers. "Sage, is something wrong?"

"I don't know," the blonde replied. "I have my Armor back--I can feel it but… it still feels like something is missing yet I'm glad that it's gone. I'm just imagining it, right?"

"Yes," the other three answered quickly.

Sage put his Armor Sphere away and turned off his lamp. "Night, guys," he said.

"Good night." Cye, Kento, and Rowen settled down to sleep. They hadn't meant to brush off Sage's theory, for they too felt glad that whatever was missing was gone. Right now wasn't the time to dwell on it. They already had enough worries.

"I hope Kayura was right about sending me home," Ryo said. He was in the study with Mia, trying to understand why the Ancient had sent him back to the mansion.

"Jessie will be fine," Mia said, leaning back in her desk chair and looked at Ryo leaning against the wall. "You worry too much. The Mystic Armor is off, now. I think the Warlords can handle her, and White Blaze is still there, too."

"I know," Ryo sighed. In truth, he was far beyond worried. Ryo's concern increased after he received his Armor and felt glad that something was gone. He hoped that the Warlords would also notice and keep a closer eye on Jessie. "What did you find out about Callisto and the Dragon Child?" Ryo asked, not to just change the subject but to see what information could be used to help them understand Jessie's power and importance.

Mia picked up her notepad. "In Greek mythology, Callisto was a huntress and in the hunting party of the goddess Artemis. Zeus, the father of Artemis and king of Olympus, became enamored with Callisto. Zeus then magically changed himself to look like Artemis and slept with Callisto."

"Kinky," Ryo grinned.

Mia chuckled lightly and continued. "Callisto conceived a son and gave birth. When Artemis found out, she killed them both. Then Zeus had Callisto and her son set as the constellations Ursa Major and Ursa Minor."

"The Big and Little Dipper," Ryo said. "What about the Dragon Child?"

"Hardly anything; the only information I found was a small piece from a Druid legend. 'A union between human and dragon will bring forth the Chosen to redeem the land with eternal flame.' And it is stated that the Dragon Child is definitely female."

"Well, if we go by what the Nether Realm says, that part of the legend is right. Is there any connection between the Dragon Child and Callisto?"

"Afraid not," Mia sighed. "We know there is, but there's nothing else in my grandfather's files about it."

"What about the 'eternal flame' in the legend?" Ryo asked.

"I ran a check on that as well," said Mia. "The closet thing I could get was the phoenix, and everyone knows that story."

"Yeah, every one hundred years the phoenix builds itself pyre, spontaneously combusts and it's reborn from the flames." Ryo grunted, and shifted uncomfortably. "Now that you think about it, it is kind of scary."

"Agreed," Mia nodded. "I think we better get back to sleep. It's one, thirty-seven already."

"I hope that Jessie makes it through the night," Ryo stretched, and noticed the slight jealous look in Mia's eyes. He walked over to her and kissed her. "You shouldn't be jealous. I think of Jessie as nothing more than a sister. And you know what I think of you, and what I'd love to do with you."

"Pig," Mia slapped his arm playfully.

"Come on," Ryo knelt beside the chair. "You of all people should understand. But if you want me to get all mushy over you, I will."

Mia leaned over and lightly brushed her lips against his. "One of these days we will," she whispered.

Ryo smiled. "Better get some sleep," he said. "We have a long day tomorrow."

"Oh yes," Mia said, "the last minute Christmas Shopping."

"I wish the guys weren't so hard to shop for," said Ryo.

_______________

April 30, 2002

FINALLY! YES! I DID IT! FINISHED! ::collapses on keyboard:: Please forgive me for being extremely late. Almost eight months late. So much has been going on. Sorry, I'm not getting into details--most likely, it's longer than my fic.

Yes, I confess that I lied in my last note about Jade, Nat, Elisa, and Leon coming to Japan (they'll be arriving in Part 24). This got so long I had TO make two parts out of one. Unfortunately, instead of typing up what I had already written after the dividing, I kept on writing. Again, my apologies.

I'm also sorry for this being shorter than my previous chapters. But several emails prompted me to get back on the writing bandwagon. And if I decide to, I'll edit this and add more to it.

Domo arigato to Swiftgold for helping me with the title.

And this part has christened my fifth notebook.

~Janime

~Coming Soon: Part Twenty-four - Holiday Interlude~ It was Christmas when I was writing it. I was in the holiday spirit. It's Christmas Time at the Koji mansion with a couple interesting situations. Get your minds out of the gutter, you hentai!