Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ Warrior Call ❯ Holiday Interlude ( Chapter 23 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Ronin Warriors

Warrior Call

Part Twenty-three -- Holiday Interlude

~Christmas Eve~

"It feels so good to be home," Jessie said, touching the painted wall of the bedroom that she shared with Ryo. White Blaze purred and licked Jessie's hand, letting her know that he was happy that they were back at the mansion.

"Better get ready," said Sekhmet. "Everyone will want to see you."

"The four of you out," Kayura shooed the other Warlords and tiger from the room, and shut the door.

Jessie rummaged through her dresser, pulling out fresh clothes. "Did you mean it when you said I can come back here?" she asked.

Kayura nodded. "Yes, you can. I already told Ryo if your emotions become unstable to call me."

"Always taking precautions, aren't you?" Jessie pushed the drawer closed and walked into the bathroom.

Can you really blame me? Kayura sat on the chair as Jessie changed. The Ancient let out a sigh. The last few days had been rather rough. Jessie had become an emotional rollercoaster. One moment, Jessie would be all talk without any sign of stopping; the next moment she would hardly say a word.

I just hope that she doesn't lash out like she did three days ago, Kayura thought. She had been at the mansion when Jessie attacked Sekhmet with a small knife taken from the armory, slicing the Warlord's sleeve and barely missing his arm. Cale and Dayus quickly pinned Jessie down and Sekhmet drugged her. The effect didn't kick in until twenty minutes later.

Maybe now that she'll be home, Kayura thought, she'll be alright.

A few minutes later, the bathroom door opened and Jessie stepped out. She was wearing a dark blue sweater with hollies knitted all over, black slacks, and a red hair band.

"That's a very nice outfit," Kayura said.

"Thanks," Jessie smiled. "I like yours, too."

Kayura looked at herself--a blue-green long-sleeved top, knee high denim skirt and dark stockings. "Thank you," she said, rising from the chair. "Well, now we have to give everyone their Christmas present."

"No, they're not here yet," Ryo said into the kitchen phone. "Don't worry, I will. Merry Christmas to you too, Yuli." He hung up the phone and picked up the vegetable platter, carrying it into the dining room. "Where to?" he asked Mia.

"Put it next to the eggnog bowl," she said, arranging the dishes. Casey followed with napkins, Twyla followed with the silverware, and Rowen followed with the glasses.

"How come Kento and Sage are loafing around in the living room while the rest of us are slaving away?" Casey grunted, slapping the rose-colored napkin beside the plate.

"Because if Kento gets into the kitchen he'll inhale everything," said Twyla.

"Not everything," said Rowen, "at least eighty percent."

"Don't worry about Kento," Ryo said. "Sage will keep him out of the kitchen."

"GET OUT OF HERE, KENTO!" Cye's voice bellowed through the kitchen door.

Ryo grimaced. "Then again…"

Kento flew into the dining room, clutching a bowl full of something in his hands. Cye was in hot pursuit with a rolling pin held high and threatening as he chased his best friend around the long, rectangular table. Finally, the two stopped at the opposite ends.

"Nice apron, Cye," Kento said as if trying to ease the tension seething from the Torrent Ronin. Only then did the rest notice Cye's apron, which had a little Santa Claus on the front with 'HO! HO! HO!' written above. However, due to the look on Cye's face, the words should have been 'KILL! KILL! KILL!'

"Give back the potatoes, Kento," Cye ordered.

"But I'm hungry," his best friend whimpered.

Sage ran into the dining room.

"Why weren't you keeping an eye on him?" Mia asked.

"I had to go to the bathroom," the blonde Ronin said.

"Why didn't you ask one of us to watch him?" Rowen asked.

"Sorry, I thought I could leave him alone for two minutes."

"Kento!" yelled Twyla. "Take the spoon out of your mouth!"

Everyone glared at Kento. Slowly, he pulled the silver utensil from his mouth and swallowed. "I only took one spoonful," Kento said, holding the spoon in his right hand above his head. "And I did not put it back into the garlic mashed potatoes."

Gwen and Joana entered the dining room. "The turkey is almost ready," Gwen announced.

Kento placed the potato bowl on the table, gave the spoon to Ryo, and walked back into the living room. Sage just shook his head as he followed.

"It's not like I ate the whole bowl," Kento grunted; he plopped himself on the couch, propping his head up with his left hand.

"You should know better than to go into the kitchen when Cye is cooking," said Sage. "You can't use on him what you use on Gwen."

Kento was about to say something, but the footsteps coming down the stairs prevented him. "We're here!" said Cale.

And the rat has arrived, Sage thought bitterly.

Ryo came out of the dining room. "Merry Christmas," he greeted the Warlords, shaking their hands.

"Where is everyone?" asked Sekhmet.

"They're almost finished setting up," said Ryo.

"Call them over," Dayus said. "We brought your Christmas present."

"You're early," said Kento. "We're not supposed to open presents until tomorrow."

Sage raised his visible eyebrow. "Like that's ever stopped you."

"We didn't wrap it," said Kayura. "Bring everyone over, please."

"Come on out," Ryo called towards the dining room. "The Warlords have our Christmas present."

Everyone gathered by the stairs, curious as to what the four immortals brought for them. "This better be good," said Sage.

"Believe us," Cale said, "you'll like it." Especially you, Halo, he added to himself. Cale put his right thumb and forefinger to his lips and whistled. White Blaze came down the stairs with Jessie right behind him.

"Sis!" Joana cried happily and hugged Jessie.

"Merry Christmas," said Jessie as she hugged her friend back. They moved apart and Jessie looked at the others. "To all of you."

"Welcome home, Jess," said Twyla, and gave her a hug.

"She can stay," Kayura said.

"Seriously?" Casey asked.

"Yes," Sekhmet answered. "Jessie is our Christmas present to you."

Sage looked at Ryo. "You knew."

"Maybe, maybe not," Ryo grinned.

"He knew," said Mia. "I know that look."

"Okay," Kento said, clapping his hands together. "May we eat now, please?"

"Yes," said Ryo, "we're all here."

The food was placed on the table and everyone sat down. Ryo sat at the head of the table. To his right sat Mia, Joana, Cye, Kento, Gwen, Kayura and Dayus. To his left sat Jessie, Sage, Casey, Rowen, Twyla, Sekhmet, and Cale. White Blaze sat on the floor between Ryo and Jessie.

"Professor Kudo is teaching physics at night next semester," Rowen said once everyone was served.

"I don't like him," said Twyla. "He only talks to girls when they wear skirts."

"What makes you say that?" asked Ryo.

"Casey and I tested the theory. One day, Casey wore a skirt and I wore jeans. Kudo talked to Casey and ignored me. Next day, I wore a skirt and Casey had worn jeans. Kudo talked to me, not Casey. When we both wore skirts, Kudo talked to both of us. But when we both wore pants, he didn't." Twyla put a piece of turkey in her mouth, chewed and swallowed. "If that doesn't say something," she concluded, "I don't know what does."

"So he has a fetish about girls wearing skirts," Kento said.

"Why?" asked Cale.

"My guess," said Jessie, "easy access."

"Jessie!" Gwen exclaimed.

The other girl merely shrugged and picked up the bowl in front of her plate, staring at its contents. "Okay," Jessie said, "I'm guessing that this is a seafood dish, but what is it?"

"Eel," Cye answered in a flat tone.

"I've only seen it raw--never cooked."

"Try it, Jess," said Sekhmet. "It's delicious, and could you pass it down when you're done?"

Jessie scooped out a little onto her plate and passed the bowl to her left. She took a small piece with her fork and placed it into her mouth. "Not bad," said Jessie after she swallowed; then she began to chuckle lightly.

"What are you laughing at?" asked Sage.

"Eel," giggled Jessie.

"Jess, I don't think you should bring up any comparisons like that at the dinner table," Casey said.

"Look who's talking of all people!" Jessie waved her hand at the blonde girl. "I wasn't even near there, but thank you for reminding me of another eel story. I was, however, thinking of one of the most patience thinning eel story I've ever heard." She moved her gaze. "Joana."

"What?" she asked.

"You know, Joana," Jessie said between giggles. "The story your father tells."

Joana started to chuckle. "That poor clerk."

Some of the others exchanged puzzled glances.

"Tell the story," Jessie instructed, choking on laughter.

"You have a few of your own," Joana reminded her. "But, okay. For those of you who don't know, my grandmother spent half of her childhood in Italy and the other half in a 'little Italy' style neighborhood, so when she raised my father, she taught him the old ways."

"What does that have to do with eels?" asked Sekhmet.

"She's getting to that," shushed Jessie.

"Anyway, Non--that's what I call my grandmother--sent Dad to the fish market a few days before Christmas to get more of the makings for a 'traditional Neapolitan Christmas Eve dinner.' All he wanted was a half a pound of shrimp, but the powers that be had other ideas."

Jessie chuckled again and Joana shot her a look. "He stood in line for about twenty minutes, without a service tag--the market didn't use that system then--and just as he reached the counter, a pushy, little old Italian woman shoved in front of him and started talking to the clerk."

"Why didn't they use service tags?" asked Kento. The glares that he received from the rest of the table caused him to quickly add, "Never mind."

"First," Joana continued, "she wanted to know about the octopus that was on sale, so the clerk brought her this huge gray brick. Daddy couldn't even recognize it as anything-"

"They freeze octopus and other things for shipping and storage," Jessie supplied. "They last for six months that way."

"Would you like to tell this story?"

"No, I wouldn't be able to make it through without laughing."

"Alright then. And the clerk weighed it and the woman said, 'How much is that? I won't pay full price for that! All of the weight is water!' So the clerk went back and put it away, thinking, I imagine, that she would leave."

"We haven't gotten to the eels yet, so we know that can't be the case," Rowen said stiffly.

"Okay, maybe Daddy tells the story better but let me get there, please?" Joana looked at him. "So then she pulled out the sales circular and pointed to the sale price of eels, and asked to see them. The clerk rummaged around again, and produced not blocks of ice, but stick-like sections. 'How do I know that they are fresh?' she asked. 'You have to take our word for it,' the clerk answered. That wasn't good enough, and she asked if they had any fresh eels, which they did. So the clerk went to get a huge mallet. By now, Dad is panicking. He has no clue what the mallet is for-"

"He could have hit her over the head with it!" Jessie gasped, laughing out loud again. "I've had a few customers I wanted to smack!"

Joana sighed. "And he has now been in line for about half an hour, just for one item. The clerk disappears with the mallet and returns with a limp, wet, snake-like thing in his hands."

"Poor thing," Sekhmet murmured.

"Daddy realized with a shock that the clerk had gone to knock the eel over the head with the mallet to get it out of a tank in the back room," Joana said. "The woman seems satisfied, but then hears the price and goes bananas. Finally she says to the clerk, 'But it's an eel! Why can't you give it to me for the sale price?' 'Because, ma'am,' the clerk replies, 'that price is for the eels that are already dead.' The woman points to the mass on the scale with a jerk of her wrist. 'So, why don't you finish killing that one and then it would be dead!' "

Cye turned an odd shade of gray for a moment. Jessie had her head on the table, her arms covering her face and shaking with silent laughter.

"The clerk was more appalled and frustrated than before and said, "But I can't do that!' 'Why not?' she asks. By now, Daddy has been in line for the better part of an hour, and is fuming."

"I don't blame him!" Mia chuckled. "Where did they find her?"

"So what happened?" Cale asked. "Did she ever leave?"

"Yes," Joana nodded, "but not until after she had argued with that poor man for another five minutes and then walked away without buying anything. Daddy always says that he felt absolutely horrible having to be a real stickler about the shrimp after that, but he was so mad at the time that he must have been a horrible customer." Joana surrendered to a case of the giggles at the memory of her father standing, holding the bag of shrimp out at arms length in the kitchen, fuming at anyone who would listen about the "crazy woman" he had encountered at the store. Not everyone at the table was laughing. "It's a lot funnier when Daddy mimes it out," she managed.

"I can vouch for that!" Jessie finally sat upright, still wracked with giggling.

Rowen scowled. "Wait a minute. You said that you made this eel because it's tradition, but you just said that your father was sent out to get shrimp because that was tradition."

Joana bit her lip and looked guilty. "Well, Casey has a problem with shellfish so I couldn't do that, but I wanted something without too fishy a taste… I didn't make the full traditional dish."

"Full traditional dish?" Kento asked, looking genuinely interested.

"Um, yeah," Joana squirmed a bit. "You're supposed to cook seven different kinds of seafood."

Cye looked absolutely stricken and looked at her with an expression that was only partially readable.

"Sorry, sweetheart," she said, trying to placate him, "But many of the people of that region fish for most of their food. Italy is a peninsula--you live on an island. You should understand!"

"If it's any consolation, Joana," Sekhmet spoke up, "since it appears that Cye cannot accept your family's traditional meal, I do understand because my family and clan were fishermen."

"What?" Cye glared at him.

"Here we go," Ryo whispered; Mia patted his hand.

The Venom Warlord pushed a piece of eel around his plate. "We used to catch a lot of fish," he said, "I knew how to cook when I was six." Sekhmet picked up the eel with his fork and popped it into his mouth and grinned wickedly, knowing that he was making Cye cringe.

"Cye, please put down the knife," Joana said politely, trying to sooth the fuming Ronin.

"So what's your eel story, Jess?" asked Kento.

"I'll save it for after dinner," she answered.

"Quitting while you're ahead?" Sage asked.

"No," Jessie shook her head, "I don't want anyone to choke."

Dayus rolled his eyes as he stood from his chair, taking his glass with him as he walked to the eggnog bowl. He cast a small illusion around the bowl so that no one could see him empty the flask he had, which was filled with sake. Dayus stirred the serving ladle around a few times and dropped the illusion. He poured the now spiked eggnog into his glass and took a sip, smiling at the taste as he returned to his seat.

Kento stood up and he too, went to the eggnog bowl with his glass, filled it, and sat down. Kento took a sip. "This tastes…" he said, "very different."

"I couldn't get the usual brand," Mia explained. "The store ran out so I grabbed another one."

"Would you like some, Joana?" Cye asked with his glass in hand.

"No thanks," she answered, "I'll wait until dessert."

When dinner was finished, the leftovers wrapped and put away, everyone sat in the living room to let their stomachs digest the wonderful meal. The phone kept ringing off the hook as everyone's families called to send their holiday blessings.

"They'll call, Jess," said Casey.

"No, they won't."

"Oh, come on," Gwen said. "It's Christmas and-"

"Don't give me the famous holiday speech," Jessie interrupted. "I've heard it every year as far back as I can remember--which at this point isn't very far--and even if she did call, it'll be a repeat of Thanksgiving."

"Your mom can be an understanding person," said Twyla.

{Only when it's to her benefit,} Jessie thought, {and when dad isn't driving her to insanity.}

{That bad?} Ryo asked mentally. {Sorry, I didn't mean-}

{It's okay, Ryo,} Jessie sent. {I just have to watch myself on what you should and shouldn't hear.}

"Jess, Roxy wants to talk to you," said Sage; he handed her the phone.

As Sage watched Jessie talk to his little sister, he reached into his left pocket and felt the small leather box. Now if he could just be alone with Jessie for a few minutes…

"Sage, your mother wants to talk with you." Jessie gave him the phone.

"Hi, Mom."

"I'm glad to hear that Jessie is feeling better," said June.

"Me too," Sage smiled.

"And you'll bring her over after the New Year-"

"Mother..."

"-Depending on how she feels," June finished. "Okay?"

"Okay," said Sage. "Tell Dad and everyone I said Merry Christmas."

"I will. I love you."

"You too. Bye, Mom." Sage hung up the phone and sat on the armrest next to Jessie. "So, Jess, what is your eel story?"

Jessie grinned and let out a slightly evil chuckle. "If you insist. Please no one eat or drink anything while I tell this tale." She straightened her posture and cleared her throat. "My boss told me this," Jessie began. "A few years before I started working in the fish department, there was a man named George that worked there and he was a nut ball. One Christmas, my boss was working with George; after they received the unfrozen yet dead eels, George took one and went through the double doors to the Produce back room." Jessie's grinned widened. "Then George stood behind the window and stuck the eel between the two doors, so that it was hanging at a certain level by its tail."

"I don't get it," said Kento.

"Think about it for a moment."

Ryo immediately began to laugh. "He had the eel hanging at a certain man level."

"Yup," Jessie nodded. "George made the eel look like he had a really long-"

"We get the picture!" Joana interrupted. "Unfortunately."

The phone rang and Sekhmet answered it. "Moshi, moshi."

"Jessie there?" a woman said slowly; Sekhmet guessed that she was doing her best to pronounce Japanese.

"Yes, who's speaking?"

"Rita. Am mother to Jessie."

"Hold on." Sekhmet placed his hand over the phone. "Jessie… I think it's your mother."

The room instantly became quiet except for Jingle Bell Rock playing on the stereo. Jessie could feel everyone looking at her as she rose from the couch.

"I'll get it in the kitchen," she said. Jessie walked through the swinging door and placed her hand on the phone. Taking a deep breath, Jessie picked up the receiver. "Okay, Sekhmet!" she called then placed the receiver to her ear. When she heard the click, Jessie spoke into the phone. "Hello?"

"Hi, honey."

"Hi, Mom, how are you?"

"I'm alright, and you?"

"I'm okay." Jessie leaned against the counter for support. "Merry Christmas."

"Merry Christmas to you, too. And your friends."

"Tell Hank I said Happy Birthday."

"I will; he'd definitely appreciate that."

"How's he doing?"

"A lot better than he was a few days ago," Rita sighed.

"What happened?" Jessie asked, concern growing for her older sibling.

"Sue gave him back the ring," said Rita. "She found someone with a rather large bank account."

"Bitch."

"That's what I said to her when she called wanting the antique oak frame she gave Hank."

"And the frame?"

"Hock-It-To-Me Pawn Shop."

Jessie started to laugh; it felt good talking to her mother like they used to.

"Sweetie," Rita said, "we have to talk."

"Mom, please," Jessie felt the tension return. "I don't want a repeat of Thanksgiving."

"No, that's not what I was going to say," her mother reassured. "I'm sorry for what I said. I know I should've realized that you've grown up a long time ago-"

"Why didn't you?" Jessie interrupted.

Rita sighed. "Ever since you fell off your brother's bike when you were five and had to get stitches… ever since that day, I always had this dreadful fear that I would lose you. A couple weeks ago, I felt that I had."

You almost did, Jessie thought, placing her hand on her chest where the scar was. "But I'm okay," she said. "I wasn't feeling well for a little while, but I'm fine now."

"I want to believe you," Rita said, "but there's something that won't let me."

"It's your extremely paranoid maternal instincts."

"Well, you're my baby. I have to worry about you and your brother."

"What about his royal highness?"

"Your father is sleeping on the couch; he's going with his buddies for an all-nighter at the casino."

"Are Dad and Hank talking yet?" Jessie asked, doubting of any peace between the two.

"Not unless you want to count them saying 'hello' to each other this morning," Rita sighed. "I don't know what to do."

"Hang in there, Mom. You'll be alright."

"You were smart getting out of here. I wish I could do the same. I better let you go before your father waked up and finds out I'm talking to you."

"What does he say about me being here?" Jessie couldn't help asking.

"He says he can't understand why you have to be in another country for education."

"Were those his exact words?"

"No," Rita said, "that's my editing."

"Why am I not surprised?" said Jessie.

"You be careful," Rita said.

"I will. I love you, Mom."

"I love you too, baby."

Jessie solemnly hung up the phone. She stood in the kitchen for a few moments then headed to the back door. After putting her snow boots on, Jessie stepped outside. The cold air made her shiver and she rubbed her arms, wishing that she had put on her coat, but she wasn't going to be outside very long, and doubted that she would catch a cold.

Jessie looked at the snow covered ground; she raised her right hand a few inches above her ear. Like the snow hid the earth, Jessie's red-brown hair hid the scar from her childhood accident. Jessie laughed a little, remembering how calm she had been while the doctor stitched her wound, and poor Hank crying, because he'd thought he almost killed his baby sister.

Lowering her hand, Jessie wrapped her arm around herself and sighed, watching the puff of air escape from her mouth. Something was placed on her shoulders, making her jump and look behind her. "Sage."

He smiled, placing the fleece blanket more securely around her. "I was getting a little worried when you didn't come out of the kitchen," Sage explained," so I came looking for you. It's a little cold out here without something to keep you warm."

"I know."

"I don't want you to freeze."

Would you warm me up? Jessie thought. "I just needed to do some thinking."

"How did it go with your mom?" Sage asked.

"Pretty good," Jessie answered. "We're on better terms. And she explained why she was always trying to keep me from going anywhere."

"Really?"

Jessie nodded. "I told you about the stitches I had when I was five. Basically, ever since then she's been paranoid that I would die if she let me out of her sight."

"Seems that her intuition was right," said Sage.

"Don't remind me."

"I have something for you." Sage reached into his left pocket. "I was going to give it to you tomorrow but I figured you needed something to cheer you up." He took Jessie's hands with his right hand and placed the small leather box in hers.

Jessie stared at the box, turning her gaze to the Halo Ronin briefly, and then opened the box. "Oh Sage," Jessie breathed. "It's beautiful."

"I'm glad you like it."

"You didn't have to get me this."

"I wanted to," Sage smiled at her.

Jessie touched the gold star pendant that held a small green gem in the center. "I don't know what to say besides 'thank you'."

"That's all I need to hear." Sage removed the necklace from the box and undid the clasp. Jessie turned around, moving her long hair so that Sage could place the chain around her neck. His fingers lightly brushed her skin; she blushed, grateful that she could blame the rosy coloring of her cheeks on the cold. "All set," Sage told her.

Jessie turned to face him. "How does it look?"

"Beautiful," Sage smiled. "Merry Christmas, Jessie."

"Merry Christmas to you, too," Jessie said and hugged Sage.

"You don't have to worry about getting me anything," he said.

"Actually, I already did," Jessie laughed and lightened her hold on the blonde, yet they kept their arms around each other. "I did all my holiday shopping before Thanksgiving; it's a little habit I developed a couple years ago and I try to keep myself ahead. I hate running around at the last minute."

"So how did you manage to hide all the gifts?" Sage couldn't help asking.

"The girls' and Warlords' gifts I gave to Ryo," said Jessie. "Your presents I gave to Joana--I labeled who was to get what."

"I'm sure that they were wrapped and labeled properly," Sage laughed.

"Joana, I'm not worried about," Jessie leaned her forehead against Sage's. "Ryo has a hard time matching his socks."

"Isn't it hard to believe that someone who is the Ronin Warrior leader and helped saved the world from destruction takes fifteen minutes to mate one pair of socks?" Sage grinned. Jessie laughed and looked into Sage's eyes. Slowly, he moved his lips closer to hers.

The back door flew open making the two jump, and scowled a little for the interruption.

"The Batmobile lost a wheel," Kento sang off-key as he stumbled out the door, "and the Joker got away!" He collapsed on the porch, landing on his back and laughing like a madman. "The snow is falling upwards," he said, pointing to the white flakes.

Sage and Jessie blinked at Kento as the Hardrock Ronin held his hands up and looked as though he was seeing them for the first time. "My nails are short," said Kento; he held out his right hand to Jessie and Sage. "Do they look short?"

Before either could answer, Gwen stepped outside. "What has gotten into you?" she gaped at Kento.

"Into me?" he blinked. "Into me?"

"Come on, Kento," Sage took his friend by the arm and hauled him to his feet. "Let's get inside before you get sick."

"I can't get sick!" Kento held his other hand up. "I am Kento of Hardrock!"

"Nice to meet you," Jessie said as she put her hands on Kento's shoulder and gently pushed him through the doorway.

Gwen led Kento into the living room while Sage and Jessie removed their boots. When they walked into the living room, they stopped short. White Blaze was lying in front of the loveseat. Ryo and Mia were sitting on the loveseat with Ryo's head in Mia's lap. Kento was next to White Blaze and snoring. Dayus, Kayura, and Twyla were sitting on the large couch. Casey was sitting in the chair and giggling. Rowen, Cale, and Sekhmet were sitting on the floor, leaning against the wall. Cye and Joana were not in the room.

Rowen stood up, which turned out to be a mistake for he lost his balance and landed in Twyla's lap, his head bumping her chest as he went. "Are you a B or a C?" Rowen asked as he poked Twyla's breast. "If you're not a C, I'd say that you're a B+."

Twyla's face turned red and she shoved Rowen off her lap. He crashed onto the floor, narrowly missing the coffee table.

"Did I miss something?" Jessie asked.

"I think we both did," said Sage.

Joana walked into the living room. "Mia," she said, "I'm sorry but Cye didn't make it to the bathroom."

Mia groaned and shut her eyes.

"He promises to pay for the carpet cleaning," Joana informed.

"What is going on?" asked Jessie.

"If I didn't know any better," Sage said, "I'd say that they're drunk."

"We didn't have any alcohol," said Ryo as he slowly managed to sit upright. "All we had was the eggnog."

Now that Ryo mentioned it, the only people who did have eggnog at supper were Casey, Rowen, Kento, Cye, Ryo, Cale, Dayus, and Sekhmet. Gwen and Twyla didn't like eggnog, and the remaining four girls and Sage decided to wait until dessert.

Jessie walked over to the eggnog bowl. She picked up the ladle, letting a few drops land on her palm, and then licked the eggnog. "Alright," said Jessie, placing the ladle back into the bowl, "who spiked the eggnog?"

"What?" asked the sober people.

Jessie turned around. "There's sake in the eggnog."

"Who would do such a thing?" Gwen asked.

Kayura turned her head to Dayus. "You didn't." Her husband tired to give her an innocent look but the grin he had didn't help. Kayura reached into Dayus' back pocket and pulled out the flask. "I wondered where this went," she said.

"It needed flavoring," said Dayus.

"Warn somebody when you do that," Ryo groaned.

Casey stood up from the chair, humming and giggling. She tripped over Cale and landed in his lap; she looked up at him, smiling. "Hi there, blue boy."

Cale seemed to freeze. Mia quickly got up and removed Casey from the Warlord's lap, much to Casey's dismay. "Come on, Casey," said Mia, guiding the blonde girl towards the hallway. "Let's go to bed."

"I don't wanna go to bed with you!" Casey whined. Mia rolled her eyes as she led the intoxicated girl upstairs.

"I guess this means that dessert is postponed," said Twyla.

"Please don't mention food," Cye said, walking into the living room. Joana quickly went to his side and helped him over to the vacant spot on the loveseat. She sat on the armrest, and Cye put his head in her lap. "Why do I get the feeling that I'm going to have a hangover in the morning?" Cye asked.

"Because you're drunk," said Joana.

"Dayus spiked the eggnog," Ryo told him.

Mia came into the room. "Casey is sleeping," she said and then looked at Rowen and Kento. "I believe all non-sober people should follow suit."

"I'm glad that Mia asked you to stay here for the night," Jessie said.

"So am I," said Kayura.

It was almost midnight and the two women were the only ones awake in the mansion. Jessie and Kayura were sitting at the dining table, which had long since been cleared of the day's feast. White Blaze was sleeping in the living room next to the Christmas Tree, and keeping guard of the presents that rested underneath. Sekhmet and Cale were each sleeping in one of the spare bedrooms upstairs. Dayus and Kayura were staying in the downstairs guestroom. Even though drunk, Dayus still managed to charm Kayura enough to let him sleep on the bed then the floor.

"Today was nothing," Kayura said. "You have never seen the three of them drunk together."

"Not from my point of view," Jessie said and they laughed. "Did you ever celebrate Christmas before?" Jessie asked. "I mean, within the last six years?"

Kayura smiled. "We've celebrated Christmas since the first one after Talpa was defeated," she said. "The other Ronins and Mia were going to stay with their families for Christmas. Ryo visited his grandmother but he couldn't stay with her."

"Yeah, she's in the nursing home," said Jessie.

Kayura nodded. "Mia asked me if Ryo could stay with us in the Dynasty. We let him and he was very happy."

"That is so sweet."

"So were the gifts he brought for us."

Jessie chuckled lightly. "I bet that's your favorite part of the tradition."

"Especially to a certain three," said Kayura. "Who shall remain nameless."

"And you're married to one of them."

"Dayus can be a pain, but I love him--flaws and all."

"I bet he has quite a few," Jessie said.

"Oh, several," Kayura rolled her eyes and laughed lightly. "You better get some sleep since you're going out tomorrow morning."

"I'm sleeping on the couch tonight."

"Guarding the presents with White Blaze or do you plan to open yours early?" Kayura asked.

"Neither," Jessie replied and grinned sheepishly. "I finished the pepperoni that was in the fridge."

"Jessie."

"Well," the American girl shrugged, "I like it."

Kayura shook her head. "I'm going to bed," said the Ancient as she rose to her feet. "Good night, Jessie."

"Good night, Kayura." Jessie remained at the table until she heard Kayura shut the guestroom door. Jessie stood up, pushed her chair under the table and walked into the living room. White Blaze was fast asleep besides the presents under the tree. Jessie couldn't help smiling as she rearranged the pillows on the couch. Then she lay down and threw the blankets over herself, tucking the ends under her feet. Once settled, Jessie closed her eyes.

She walked through the long corridor of the Dynasty Castle, the Nether Soldiers oblivious to her presence. Jessie couldn't help wondering why they didn't notice her as she walked not of her will to the throne room.

Talpa sat upon his throne; someone was kneeling before him. Jessie continued to walk forward then stopped halfway between Talpa and the person. The kneeler was a woman with long aqua hair and light green eyes, wearing a tan-colored kimono. She gazed at Talpa with utter devotion.

A little girl, around six, stood in front of the woman, wearing a pink kimono. The child's hair and eyes were a shade darker than the woman's. Was the little girl the woman's daughter? And more importantly, what were they doing in the Dynasty, kneeling before Talpa?

The woman said something to the child, but Jessie didn't hear the words. The little girl timidly walked towards Talpa. The Netherworld Emperor reached out and picked her up, sitting the girl on his lap.

Jessie blinked when she looked at Talpa. His hair was not gray-white but a dark blue-green color, and she could see the mouth and chin of a human head.

The little girl smiled up at Talpa, and he returned it. Then the child turned her head, looking straight at Jessie. Her smile had become too dark, too evil for one so young. The little girl spoke.

"Dragon Child."

Jessie's eyes flew open and she stared at the ceiling. "Just a dream," she whispered to herself, taking deep breaths to calm her speeding heart and to prevent herself from screaming at the top of her lungs. "It was only a dream." She turned her head and looked at White Blaze, still asleep. Sighing, Jessie settled down again.

I gotta lay off the pepperoni, she thought and fell asleep, this time with peaceful dreams.

For now they will be, Dragon Child. Only for now…

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

January 31, 2003

Ah, finished at last. My apologies for the extremely long delay; I will be honest, I wrote this chapter CHRISTMAS 2001! Yes, I'm lazy. I will admit it. There isn't an excuse for my lack of production. However, with the holiday season over now and I'm free of the wretched flu virus I managed to catch two days before Christmas (does anyone know what it's like to be in bed for the entire holiday?), I'll be back on my writing in no time.

As for the eel stories, they are true. The first eel story happened to Squeaky's father, and yes it is a lot funnier when he mimes it. The second one, my boss did tell me and I am waiting for one of my co-workers to pull the same stunt.

I decided to take a break from school this year. And I'm still working two jobs.

~Janime

~Coming Soon (HEAVEN WILLING): Part 24~ Now Jade, Nat and Elisa are coming to Japan in this chapter. Too bad the new girls didn't have a chance to warn who's coming with them.

P.S. Okay, fess up! How many people thought Sage was going to give Jessie a ring?