Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ Warrior Call ❯ Broken Brazier ( Chapter 24 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Ronin Warriors
 
Warrior Call
 
By Janime
 
Part Twenty-four -- Broken Brazier
 
January 1, 2002
 
"Ugh, my head," Kento groaned, head leaned back against the loveseat, covering his eyes with his left hand.
"Well, that's your own fault," said Gwen. "Unlike Christmas, you knew what you were drinking last night."
Kento peeked at her between his fingers. "I didn't hear you complaining when we kissed at midnight."
"Enough about smooching," Twyla said, "which one are you picking?"
"I say Dayus," Gwen said.
"Sekhmet," Kento sat upright. "She seems to be compatible with the scaly-type people."
"If you want to use that to describe Casey's ex-husband," Jessie chuckled.
"I still can't believe she got married right after high school," Mia shook her head.
"Please, I told you about her brother."
"I remember."
"Forget about Jeremy," said Twyla, "Mia, which Warlord do you pick?"
"I'm staying out of this," the other girl answered and went into the kitchen to make lunch.
Jessie smirked. "It's a good thing Casey's still sleeping off her hangover," she said, "if she knew you were taking bets on which of the three she likes, you'd be dead."
"Well, if somebody would let us know who it is," Rowen spoke up, "we would have never let it come down to gambling."
"Well, Casey should have hid her journal better."
"That also goes for your two couch mates."
"It's not my fault I can hear her thoughts," Ryo said.
"Nor is it my fault that Halo let me see some of Casey's memories," said Sage.
"Yeah, I got it in writing," Jessie smiled at him. "You got the visual."
"I saw more than I wanted to," Sage grunted.
Mia walked into the living room. "Cale's here," she announced and the Warlord entered.
"Ah, contestant number two," Twyla smirked.
"Pardon?" Cale looked at her.
"Don't mind her, Cale," Ryo said. "What's up?"
"I have to talk to you," the Warlord said, giving a quick look at the others in the room; Ryo stood up and followed Cale out to the front hall. "Kayura wants you and Jessie to come to the Dynasty tonight."
"Ceremony?" Ryo asked.
"Partially," said Cale. "Kayura also wants to know how much of an effect the ceremony will have on Jessie, concerning all the recent events."
"Yeah, I know," the Wildfire Ronin leaned against the wall. "By the way, how's your head?"
"Fortunately, not pounding as much as it did this morning," Cale sighed. "Remind me to never let Sekhmet goad me into a drinking contest with him again."
"Unlike Cye, you guys made it to the toilet."
"I bet Mia was relieved."
Ryo nodded, smiling. "I'll let Jessie know later; tell Kayura we'll be there as soon as everyone falls asleep."
"Right." Cale walked out and closed the front door. Murmuring a few words, he began to levitate above the ground. After Cale had entered the kitchen, he casually asked Mia how everyone was after the New Year Party from the previous night. Cale flew to the second floor, around to the back of the house, and landed on the balcony to the spare guestroom. He peeked through the window and saw that Mia was correct.
Casey was asleep on the large bed.
Smiling and heart racing slightly, Cale knocked on the door. Casey moved a little but didn't rise. He knocked again. She pulled the pillow over her head.
"Come on, wake up," Cale knocked harder. This finally made Casey raise her head and look at the balcony door. She blinked a few times, finally focused on who it was that disturbed her from sleep.
Casey climbed out of bed, staggering to the door and opened it. "Cale, what are you doing out there?" she asked hoarsely. "Its winter time and you're not wearing a jacket."
"Didn't get a new one for Christmas," the Warlord smiled as he walked inside. "Although, I am grateful for Jessie and Mia giving me new jeans and shirts--I needed them."
"I'll bet," Casey shut the door. "What were you doing out there?"
"I had to talk to Ryo."
"He's downstairs."
"'Had', Casey; I already talked to him. I came up here to see you."
She looked at him. "Really?"
"Yeah," Cale nodded. "I want to talk."
"Okay," Casey sat down on the bed. "About what?"
He stopped, looked at her. She was wearing the same cranberry-colored shimmery top from last night but a different pair of pants. Her hair was sticking out in a few places due to the pillow she had placed on her head. "This is hard for me to talk about," Cale started, "I don't know what to say. I'm from a completely different era-"
"You want to know more about me," Casey spoke.
"Yes."
"I kind of guessed from those little conversations we had in the Dynasty. Where would you like me to begin?"
"Anyplace, I guess."
"Well, I did have a lot of boyfriends." And he doesn't know what to say? Casey thought, and continued. "The big thing I should tell you is that I was married."
Cale looked at her in shock. "You were married?"
"Just less than three years. I'm divorced now. It was finalized about a month and a half before I came to Japan."
"To the trucker Jessie mentioned in the caves?" Cale asked.
"You remembered? Yeah, he was my husband. I was happy with him… or so I thought. We'd been going out for a long time. I was stupid. Jessie said to me when I was planning the wedding if I had any little feeling that I wasn't sure about, I should wait a little longer. I wished I had listened to her."
"That shows how much she cares."
"She's a good friend," Casey smiled. "All of them are." She looked up at him. "Anything else?"
Cale was quiet for a few moments. "I like you a lot," he finally said. "I guess since the moment Anubis tossed you to me." He smiled and laughed slightly, looked out the window. "I don't know how to explain it; it's just-" Cale froze as Casey wrapped her arms around his waist. He looked down at her and she smiled.
"I like you a lot too, Cale. It's just so damn hard to find the time to say anything."
Cale smiled and put his arms around Casey; she was right after all. The two had become rather close when Casey visited Jessie in the Dynasty. When Jessie had been asleep or not in a good mood (which had been most of the time) Casey spent the time with Cale. He showed her around the Dynasty and soon they began to feel at ease with each other. They never really had the chance to express their affection for each other; until now.
Cale lowered his head and brushed his lips against Casey's. She responded by slipping her tongue into his mouth. Somehow during the kiss, Casey maneuvered Cale to the bed. He broke the kiss when he felt the back of his legs touch the bed.
"There's something I have to tell you," he said.
"Showing is better then telling," Casey smiled.
"About that," said Cale
"What?" she asked.
Cale whispered in her ear.
"That's it?" Casey asked; he nodded. "Cale, that's nothing to be embarrassed about."
"There's a reason behind it, but I don't want to talk about it right now… as long as you understand."
"Don't worry."
Cale sighed. "I'm glad, because after all this time-" he was cut off when Casey shoved him onto the bed and climbed on top of him.
"Relax," she said, "just leave everything to me."
Cale opened his mouth to protest but Casey silenced him with a kiss.
 
"Come on, Jess," Kento nettled, "spill it."
"I said wait."
"You said wait until after lunch and that was two hours ago."
"Okay, this movie is almost over," Jessie said. "I'll give you a hint who it's not, and then I'll tell you who it is after the movie. Fair?"
"Deal," said Rowen.
"Alright then," Jessie smiled. "The one she likes, it is not he, the one whose soul is Serenity."
"So it's not Dayus," Cye said.
"Nope," Sage and Ryo said.
"There goes my money," Gwen sighed.
"Don't worry," said Kento, "I'll split my winnings with you."
"Thank you, sweetie," Gwen kissed him.
Mia walked by the room carrying a bowl of soup. "So who is it?"
"I thought you weren't interested," said Rowen.
"I'm not interested in gambling," Mia corrected, "that doesn't mean I'm not curious."
"It's not Dayus," Joana told her.
"Good," Mia laughed lightly, "because if you heard what Kayura told me what she'd do to Casey if she did like Dayus…"
"We know," everyone said.
"What's with the soup?" asked Cye.
"Since Casey hasn't come down yet, I decided to bring this to her." Mia started towards the stairs. "She shouldn't go all day without eating something."
 
Cale stretched and wrapped his arms around Casey, looking down at her resting on his chest. She gazed up at him with a smile. "Well?"
"…Wow…"
"That's all?"
"That's all I can think of right now," Cale said. "I'm still recovering."
Casey grinned, pointing over to the balcony doors where their clothes had landed. "All in one spot."
"That's good, isn't it?"
"It's very good," said Casey as she moved up closer to his face. She reached out and gently touched the scar on his left eye. "What you were talking about before… does it have to do with this?"
Cale nodded. "A great deal… I really don't want to talk about it right now."
"Well, considering what we've been doing the last two hours," Casey smiled.
"True," Cale grinned. "So, was I good?"
"Oh God, you were great."
"Keep looking at me like that and you'll be in trouble."
Casey giggled and narrowed her eyes. "I don't mind being in trouble with you." She leaned closer, bridging the distance between their lips.
Cale held her close and moved so that she was beneath him; the sheets moving with the couple. They didn't hear the door open.
"Casey," Mia said as she walked into the room, "I brought you-" Mia gasped and dropped the bowl, hands flying to cover her mouth.
Cale smiled and slowly waved.
"Hi, Mia," said Casey cheerfully.
Mia bolted from the room and down the stairs, screaming all the way until she ran into the living room. "Oh my God! Oh my God! Oh my God!" Mia's face was red as a tomato and her eyes very wide.
"What happened?!" Ryo grabbed her upper arms. "Mia! Calm down. Tell me what happened."
"I…" Mia panted. "I went into the room to give Casey the soup and… she wasn't alone."
"What do you mean she wasn't alone?" Rowen asked.
"She… had company…"
"Company?" Kento raised an eyebrow.
"Cale was in bed with her!" Mia yelped.
Rowen, Twyla, Kento, Gwen, Joana and Cye turned to Jessie.
"And I quote," she said, "straight from Casey's diary, 'He is so handsome. I especially love his scar'." Jessie ran her index finger over her left eye.
"Yes!" Joana and Twyla cheered and gave a high-five.
"She moves pretty quick," said Sage. "Now if you'll excuse me," he stood up, "there's a Warlord I'd love to humiliate." And he ran for the stairs.
"Not without us!" Kento shouted and followed.
 
"Stupid! Stupid!" Cale hissed as he dressed himself hurriedly. "Not you, Casey. Me. But believe me, I really did enjoy it and I hope we can do it again soon-"
"They're coming up the stairs!" Casey whispered, standing by the door, fully clothed.
"Shit!" Cale quickly grabbed his shoes from the floor. Casey ran to him and gave him a quick kiss. "I love you," he said.
Casey stared at him. "What did you say?"
"I think I just said what Dayus says to Kayura."
"I love you, too, Cale."
He looked at her; they smiled and hugged. The banging on the door interrupted the moment.
"Cale! We know you're in there!" Kento's voice boomed through the locked door.
"Open up!" Rowen yelled. "We want to have a word with you!"
"Yeah, you sneaky, sex-starved devil!" Cye laughed, followed by the girls telling them to leave the couple alone.
"Get out of here!" Casey said and rushed over to the door.
Cale vanished from the room and appeared in the Dynasty. He put his shoes on, straightened his clothes, and ran his hands through his hair a couple times.
Alright, he thought and took a deep breath. Everything's alright. He walked towards his room. I'll just get a few things and disappear for a while. I'll get Casey later to join me and-
"Cale."
He nearly jumped out of his skin. Spinning around, he found himself looking at Kayura.
"Are you alright?" she asked, concern growing on her face.
"I'm fine," Cale said, still a little jumpy. "Uh… I did tell Ryo for him and Jessie to come to the Dynasty tonight."
"Thank you," Kayura said. "You were there for over two hours. What were you doing?"
Cale felt his face redden a little as he struggled to make up an answer. The familiar sound of a Gate opening then made the coloring retreat. "Kayura," he said, "you haven't seen me." Cale ran off.
Kayura just watched in confusion as he fled. She turned as the Ronins and Casey ran up to her.
"Where is he?" Sage asked, making Kayura shrink back a little because of the look on his face.
"'He' who?" the Ancient asked.
"Just leave him alone!" Casey yelled at the five young men.
"Who are you talking about?" Kayura asked.
"Cale," said Rowen.
"What about him? And what was he doing at the house for two hours."
Kento pointed to Casey. "Who he was doing, Kayura," he corrected her, which only earned him a punch in his left bicep.
Kayura's eyes widened as she looked at Casey. "You and Cale…?"
"We're consenting adults," Casey gritted through her teeth. "We don't need anyone's permission."
"But you don't need to do it when there are ten people downstairs," said Rowen. He turned to Kayura. "Mia walked in on them."
"So where is he?" Cye asked.
"I honestly don't know," Kayura said.
"You won't mind if we go on a little manhunt, do you?" Ryo asked.
"Do what you want."
"Kayura! Don't let them do it!" protested Casey.
"I'm staying out of this, Casey," Kayura said. "Come on, let's get out of here." She took the blonde girl's arm and led her away from the Ronins.
Sage looked at his friends. "His room?"
"Best place to start," said Rowen. The five Ronins raced down to Cale's room. Ryo opened the door and they cautiously walked in.
"I say that he skipped," Kento said.
Sekhmet and Dayus ran into Cale's room, startling the Ronins. "Kayura just told us," said Sekhmet. "So did they? All the way?"
"Yup," the five answered.
Sekhmet laughed and turned to Dayus. The Illusion Warlord narrowed his eye.
"You two made a bet," said Cye.
"He has to do my laundry for a month," the Venom Warlord said. "How'd your betting go?"
"Sage and I stayed out," Ryo told him, "Joana and Twyla won. Gwen betted on Dayus and everyone else bet on you, Sekhmet."
"Cye, you actually betted on Sekhmet?" Dayus asked.
"Should I feel honored or insulted?" asked Sekhmet.
"Feel honored."
"Alright."
"Come on!' Kento yelled. "Let's find him already!"
They left Cale's room and searched every place that they could think of with no luck. Finally, all seven stood at the walkway overlooking the water.
"You think he left the Dynasty?" asked Sage.
Dayus shook his head. "We would have sensed the Gate open. He's still here."
"But where?" Rowen asked. "We've searched this place top to bottom; unless he went inside the palace."
"I doubt it," said Sekhmet. "None of us wants to go in there." Had enough trouble being inside it the last time when we went in with Jessie. He shuddered a little at the memory.
Ryo leaned back against the rail and closed his eyes. An image of Cale appeared in his mind. He was sitting on the support joint right underneath the walkway they were standing on. Ryo opened his eyes; he motioned to the others and then pointed over the railing, gesturing down to the water. The other Ronins and the two Warlords walked over to the edge and everyone knelt down side by side.
Cale was sitting on the angled support beam wearing his sub-armor, praying that everyone above had left so that he could sneak back to his room.
"Gotcha!" the five Ronins shouted.
Cale yelped, almost falling off the beam. Grabbing the other beam, he regained his balance and looked at the seven faces staring at him upside-down.
"So, as they say in these modern days, Cale, you got lucky," Sekhmet grinned.
Cale forced a smile. "Luckier than you, Sekhmet." he jumped off the beam and dove into the water.
"I'll be right back." Sekhmet made his sub-armor appear and he jumped over the rail into water.
Dayus and the Ronins sat up, all of them smiling.
"Let's go after them!" said Sage.
"Don't bother," said Dayus. "Sekhmet can get Cale back to the surface without any trouble."
"What makes you so sure?" Cye asked.
"Because Sekhmet can hold his breath for half an hour. If he really wants to, he can hold it for almost an hour."
"Wow," Kento blinked.
"I hope he doesn't drown Cale," said Rowen.
 
It wasn't too hard to catch up with Cale. Sekhmet was an excellent swimmer--one of the very few if not the only thing he had in common with Cye. Once Sekhmet was close enough, he reached out and grabbed Cale's ankle. Cale tried to kick Sekhmet with his other foot but the Venom Warlord moved like a true snake in water. Sekhmet grabbed Cale from behind, hooking his arms under the other Warlord's shoulders and place his hands behind Cale's head.
Cale tried to struggle free but that only succeeded in him letting out some of his air. His lungs began to burn and his throat was beginning to feel constrained. Cale raised his hands letting Sekhmet know he surrendered.
Grinning, Sekhmet swam to the surface. Cale inhaled the sweet air several times with Sekhmet still holding on to him. "You can let go of me now, Sekhmet," Cale snapped.
"Not just yet," the green-haired man said. "Start swimming."
Cale looked at the edge of the water, seeing Dayus and the Ronins waiting expectantly. Cale wanted to sink. "Oh no…"
"Swim," Sekhmet ordered.
Groaning, the Corruption Warlord began to swim.
 
"I am never speaking to them again."
"Casey, please calm down."
"And you!" Casey glared at Jessie. "If you ever read my diary again-"
"I'm sorry," Jessie apologized. "Now you know why I write mine in code."
"I should invent my own code."
"It works; no one else would understand it. Except maybe Rowen."
"Thanks, Jess, that made me feel a whole lot better." Casey sighed and stood up from the chair. She walked over to the window and looked at the falling snow. "How's Cale? Did you see him?"
"Only for a moment," Jessie answered. "I didn't ask what the others said to him but I do believe Dayus will be catching hell from Kayura tonight." She shook her head and laughed. "All Cale did tell me was to give you this." Jessie held out her hand.
Casey turned around and took the item. "A Gate Orb?"
"And he also said to pack an overnight bag." Jessie smiled. "Fortunately, everyone else is still eating supper. If I were you, I'd start packing."
"You swear you won't tell anyone?" Casey looked at the other woman. "Because I will definitely kill you, Jessie."
"I swear." Jessie held up her right hand. "I know nothing."
"Good; I still think you suck at this moment, but good."
"Thank you," said Jessie. "I feel loved. Now get going."
Casey ran into her room and packed her necessary items into her carryon bag. Then she took the Gate Orb into her hand. "Okay, how does this thing work? Open sesame?"
Nothing happened.
"Oh, come on. I want to see Cale. Is that too much to ask?" Casey held the orb up and then a small flash of light emitted from the orb and then a Gate appeared against the wall.
Feeling excited and butterflies in her stomach, Casey pushed the door open. She walked into a room with wooden walls and floor. There was a fire burning in the fireplace and blankets set on the floor before it but not too close to catch the flames.
Casey heard the Gate and she watched it close, and then disappear. The wall showed a painted picture of a white tiger standing on a rock. Casey recognized it as the picture Mia had given to Ryo for Christmas. "The cabin by the lake," she said with a smile.
"Where else would you like to be?"
Casey looked to her left and saw Cale sitting on the couch. His arms were crossed over his chest and his legs were stretched out.
"I never knew you had a romantic side," said Casey as she put down her carryon bag.
Cale stood up and walked over to her. "Well, I wanted us to be in a place where we would definitely not be disturbed," he said, putting his arms around her waist. "If that's alright with you."
Casey put her hands behind his neck. "It's just fine." They kissed.
 
"I do not know where they are."
"Are you absolutely sure?" Joana asked, staring directly into Jessie's face.
"Yes, can I blink now?" Jessie pleaded; her eyes felt so dry.
"Go ahead."
Jessie blinked her eyes several times, and then pinched the bridge of her nose.
"Either you're getting good," Joana said, "or I'm losing my touch."
"Believe me," Jessie looked at her, "you are not losing your touch. I have no idea where they went and besides, they have every right to have their privacy."
"That's a nice phrase coming from someone who read Casey's diary," said Cye.
"I said 'their privacy'. I didn't say 'her privacy'."
"Anyway," Mia said quickly, "they're not here. Wherever they are, I hope they're okay."
"No doubt they're enjoying themselves," Kento snickered. He quieted when Gwen looked at him.
 
In the cabin by the lake, two lovers were in a wonderful state of happiness.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~
 
~January 6th~
 
"So what time is their plane landing?" Casey asked.
"Around three o'clock this afternoon," answered Gwen, looking at the paper she held in her left hand. "If Elisa got the time right."
"Oh, the joy of time zones," Twyla said. "When are we leaving to pick them up?"
"I'd say we better leave around one," Joana answered. "This way won't have to worry about the traffic."
"Yeah, the traffic will have to worry about Kento," Gwen couldn't help laughing.
"Good thing Cye knows an alternate route," said Joana. "That reminds me, who's going to tell Jessie that she's not coming?"
"Twyla is," Casey said.
"You said that you told her last night," Twyla glared at her friend.
"I did… when she was asleep."
"Casey," the others groaned.
"Well I didn't want her to hit me!" the blonde girl protested. "With the way she's been acting ever since the Armor was removed, I'm afraid to be alone in the same room with her."
"It's not her fault, Casey," said Joana.
"I know that."
"Where is Jessie?" Gwen asked.
"I saw her go downstairs to the kitchen," Twyla said, "I think she's making breakfast."
"I'd watch what she serves us," said Casey.
Joana sighed, shaking her head as she left the room and went downstairs to the kitchen. Cye and Sage were at the table, spoons to their right, while Jessie was at the stove.
"Morning, Joana," said Sage.
"Good morning, sunshine," Cye greeted her with a smile.
"Morning, guys," Joana said and gave Cye a kiss on his right cheek. "Morning, sis."
Jessie responded with a wave of her hand. She turned off the burner. "Jest let that sit for a minute," Jessie told them. "I'll be right back." She left the kitchen.
Joana walked over to the stove, peering into the pot and recognized the contents. "Oatmeal…?"
"You-know-who is still sleeping," said Cye. "I'll be fine."
"Alright," Joana said as she sat in the chair next to him.
Jessie walked back into the kitchen a few minutes later. She scooped out the oatmeal with a ladle and poured it into four bowls then sprinkled a little sugar and cinnamon on top. Jessie served her friends first, then herself and sat beside Sage.
When they were halfway through their breakfast, Rowen walked into the kitchen. "Morning, everyone," he said.
Cye almost gagged on the spoonful of oatmeal in his mouth. With great effort, he somehow managed to swallow and not choke. Cye politely excused himself and quickly left the kitchen. Rowen didn't even notice Cye's hasty exit as he filled his bowl, and then carried his breakfast into the living room.
"I'll go check on Cye," Sage got up from his chair and left the kitchen.
Joana turned her attention back to her breakfast; she glanced at Jessie, noticing the grin on the other girl's face. "You didn't," Joana said.
Jessie nodded her head and started to laugh. Now it made sense why Jessie had left the kitchen. She had done it on purpose to wake up Rowen.
"That was extremely rude," Joana scolded.
"I know," giggled Jessie.
"You are very cruel."
"Thank you."
Joana rolled her eyes and went back to her oatmeal.
"So what time are we leaving to pick them up?" Jessie asked.
"Them?" Joana looked at her, caught off guard by the question.
"Elisa, Jade, and Nat--whatever their names are," said Jessie.
"Um… their plane should be landing around three o'clock. We'll be leaving around one."
"That's not too bad."
"Hopefully Elisa was right about the time difference," Joana said. She quickly finished the rest of her oatmeal, placed the bowl and spoon in the dishpan, and left the kitchen.
Not good, not good, Joana thought as she jogged up the stairs and into the girls' bedroom.
"How are we supposed to leave her home?" Twyla asked after Joana told them what had happened in the kitchen.
"Maybe if ask nicely and explain why," Gwen said, "she'll listen to reason."
"Fat chance," said Casey; she let out a long sigh, and then a large grin crept across her face. "I know how we can keep her home." She whispered her idea.
"Are you crazy?!" Gwen looked at her.
"Do you have any better suggestions?"
"Casey," said Joana, "that's a bit extreme for a last resort."
"I hate to say it," Twyla spoke, "but I'm with Casey on this one. Desperate times call for desperate measures."
"Of all the mornings for him to wake up early," Cye's groaning voice reached the girls' ears as he walked by their door.
"Well, at least you made it to the toilet this time," said Sage.
"Stop trying to comfort me."
"Is Mia in the study?" Joana asked after the two boys walked by.
"I think so," said Twyla.
Joana stood up and left the room.
 
Jessie was lying on her bed reading a book, still in her pajamas. She glanced at the clock. Almost noon, she thought, plenty of time.
Someone knocked on the door. "Come in," Jessie said, and looked at her friends in surprise. "You're dressed already?"
"We decided to get an early start," Joana shrugged her shoulders, hands behind her back.
"Okay," said Jessie. "Just give me fifteen minutes and-"
"You're not going," Casey said.
Jessie slowly closed her book, placing it on the night table as she sat up. "Excuse me?"
"You're not going," Casey repeated.
"Says who?"
"Says Kayura," Gwen spoke.
"Kayura schmyra," Jessie huffed. "They happen to be my friends too, and nothing you can say or do will stop me from going."
"You know, I hate to tell you this, Jessie," Twyla said, "but that's what you think."
Casey and Twyla pounce on Jessie, pinning the taller girl to the bed. Joana took the rope she had been hiding behind her back and with Gwen's help, tied Jessie's legs, left arm, and right shoulder to the bed frame; making sure that the knots were out of reach.
"You can't do this to me!" Jessie yelled, flailing her right arm at her friends.
"Sorry, Jess," said Gwen.
"But what am I going to do when I have to go to the bathroom?!"
"Ask one of the guys to bring you the bedpan from the garage," said Casey.
"My, my," Twyla said, looking at her watch. "How time does fly… and so must we!"
"We'll be back in a few hours, sis," Joana said.
"Come on, guys!" Jessie pleaded. "Don't leave me like this!"
"Bye!" her friends said cheerfully as the door closed.
"I'm going to get you when you get home," Jessie hissed quietly then let her head sink onto the pillow.
A few moments later, the door creaked open. Jessie raised her head as White Blaze trotted into the room and looked at Jessie.
"I don't suppose there's a way to convince you to untie me," Jessie said; White Blaze settled down on the rug. "That's what I thought," Jessie sighed and picked up her book from the night table.
 
"Was it really necessary to tie her to the bed?" Kento asked.
"It was extreme, we know," said Gwen. "But Kayura said that she has to stay home until her emotions are stable."
"Imagine what would happen here if some jerk pissed her off," Casey said, watching the people walk around the airport. "How long have we been waiting here?"
"Almost an hour and a half," said Joana. "Their plane should be landing soon."
"Anxious to get back to the wolf man?" Twyla smirked.
"Shut up," Casey hissed through her teeth, not bothering to turn her head.
"I have to admit I'm impressed," Twyla went on, "you two didn't even go out for dinner."
The other four literally saw the proverbial dark cloud form around Casey as Twyla continued to nettle her.
"Attention please," a female voice echoed over the crowds of people. "Flight three-seven-one from New York will be arriving at Gate Nine in twenty minutes."
"I can't wait to see them again," Gwen sighed.
"Me too," said Joana. "It'll be just like old times--with a few changes."
"It's going to be tough trying to hide everything we've been through," Twyla said.
Soon the doors opened and the passengers began filing into the airport.
"I don't see them," said Casey, rising on tiptoe to see over the heads of people.
"Maybe they'll wait till near the end like we did," Gwen said. Someone jumped in the walking mass. "Wait a minute." The person jumped again. "I think I saw Nat."
"Let me see," Joana stood on the chair and looked over the crowd. Again the person jumped and Joana was able to make out the purple hair and mocha skin. "It's Nat." Joana waved as the herd of people made their way through the terminal. Nat jumped again, smiling and waving frantically.
"Jade and Elisa shouldn't be too far behind then," said Twyla.
Once the crowd had thinned, Twyla's assumption proved true. The newly arrived trio just about sprinted over.
"Joana!" Nat cried joyously.
"Welcome to Japa-AN!" Joana squawked as the taller girl grabbed her in a bear hug and spun her around a few times. "I missed you, too…" Joana managed to gasp out.
"Okay, Nat," said Elisa. "Give the poor girl some air."
"Sorry, Joana," Nat released her.
"How was the flight?" asked Twyla.
"Decent food, good movies," Jade said, pushing her short black ponytail over her shoulder. "And about twenty minutes of turbulence."
"Oh, come on, Jade," said Elisa. "It wasn't that bad."
"And who do we have here?" Nat looked at Cye and Kento. "Two of your housemates you guys mentioned in your emails?"
"Yup," Gwen smiled, "this is Kento and Cye."
"Pleasure to meet you," Cye bowed.
"Likewise," Kento repeated Cye's action.
"Ditto," said Nat. "Okay, let's get to the baggage claim."
"Hold on," Jade stopped her. "Aren't you forgetting someone?"
"Oh yeah…" Nat grinned sheepishly. "Whoops!"
"Who else came with you?" Casey asked.
Elisa turned around and pointed to the small group of people that were the last ones off the plane. Among them was a young man in his early twenties, wearing preppy clothes--as Kento would state it--walking towards the group. He looked at Joana and smiled.
"Leon!" Joana cried and ran to him.
Cye felt his left eye begin to twitch. Joana had told him about Leon; the two lived on the same street and were very good friends. But now Leon was in Japan…
"If I didn't know any better," Kento murmured to his best friend, "I'd say you're turning six different shades of green of envy."
"I trust her, alright," Cye gritted.
"Why didn't you tell us that Leon was coming?" Gwen asked; her eyes were very wide.
"He decided to come along at the last minute," Elisa explained. "We didn't have a chance to email you guys with all the running around we did."
"Oh man," Casey shut her eyes, looking as though she was in pain. "Not good."
"What's wrong?" Kento asked.
"Jessie and Leon don't get along very well," said Gwen.
"How come?" Cye asked.
"Remember when we told you Jessie went to a different high school than ours," Twyla started, "Leon was in the same school as Jessie. Well, um… let's just say that it involved fiddling with someone's locker and leaving an unwanted gift."
"Leon did that to Jessie?" Kento blinked.
"No," said Gwen. "Jessie did that to Leon."
"And what was the gift?" Cye asked, smiling a little in hopes to know what Jessie had given to Leon. For future reference.
"We never found out," Jade answered. "Jessie did apologize but Leon didn't accept it. Joana convinced him to be civil towards Jessie up until graduation."
"I'm still surprised that Joana even bothered to still talk to him," said Nat.
"That was seven years ago," Elisa said defensively.
"I don't care if it was," Nat turned to the strawberry blonde. "Where did he get the authority to tell Joana to stop being friends with Jessie? And she did apologize for the prank."
Elisa sighed; she knew that the conversation was going nowhere--it never did.
"Sorry, everyone," Joana said as she and Leon walked over. "Did a little catching up. Leon, this is Kento and Cye."
"Pleasure to meet you," Leon held out his right hand.
"Welcome," Cye shook the other boy's hand, adding a little pressure that made Leon wince.
"Good grip," Leon commented, flexing his fingers.
Cye just smiled.
"Okay, let's get our bags," said Nat.
"How come Jessie didn't come with you?" Jade asked.
"She's a bit tied up at the moment," Twyla smirked.
 
Sekhmet gave Jessie a glass filled with orange juice. Carefully, she took it and drank the contents. "This is getting ridiculous," Jessie grumbled.
"Sorry, Jess," Sekhmet took the empty glass from her hand. "As much as I would feel obligated to release you-"
"I know, I know."
"Twyla called from the airport half an hour ago; they'll be home shortly."
"I have to go to the bathroom," Jessie stated.
"Nice try."
"I'm serious."
The Warlord sighed. "Can you make it?"
"Yeah, I'll live," said Jessie. "You better get out of here so they don't see you."
"Right," Sekhmet nodded. "I'll see you later."
"I'll be here; hopefully untied by then."
Grinning, Sekhmet took the glass and left the room, closing the door. He stopped in the hallway, looking at the glass in hands for a moment then headed downstairs.
"How's Jessie?" Mia asked Sekhmet when he walked into the kitchen.
"She's calm," he replied, placing the glass in the dishpan. "However, I would keep an eye on her when the girls arrive."
"They should be here in a few minutes," said Ryo.
"I'll go untie Jessie." Sage walked to the kitchen door.
"She's gonna be mad at you for doing it sooner," Rowen said. "She might even break a couple bones."
"I'll just tell her that you guys kept me from coming to her rescue." Sage left the kitchen.
Sekhmet just shook his head. The horn from Kento's van announced their return.
"Okay, guys," Ryo stood up from the table, and nodded to Sekhmet. "See you later."
The Warlord nodded in return, watching the Ronins and Mia head to the living room. Sekhmet was about to go back to the Dynasty, but his curiosity of seeing Jessie's other friends got the better of him. Creeping over to the door leading to the living room, Sekhmet pushed it open just a crack.
Kento, Gwen, Cye, Joana, Twyla, and Casey walked into the living room first helping the new arrivals with their luggage. Following the small group were three girls and one boy.
They didn't mention a boy coming, Sekhmet thought. I wonder who he is…
The four were within the same age range as the Ronins. The boy, whose name was Leon, was about Jessie's height; he had crew cut dark brown hair bordering black, and medium brown eyes. The outfit he wore was similar to a picture that he had seen when Jessie had been on the Internet, and went browsing through what she called was an online catalog stationed back in the States… whatever that meant. The Venom Warlord had asked about the outfit, and Jessie said that "preppy people" tended to wear them. Light colored sweater over a dress shirt, tan slacks and brown shoes.
The girl with the red tinted blonde hair, called Elisa, stood close Leon. She was a little shorter than him, and her pale blue eyes kept wandering over to Leon nearly every moment she had a chance. Sekhmet couldn't help grinning a little at her actions. Elisa's outfit was average, plain long-sleeve dark red-purpled shirt, blue jeans and white sneakers. Her hair went to the middle of her back, which was held together in a braid.
The other two girls could almost pass as relatives. They were the same height as Twyla, and both had mocha colored skin but there were many differences between them. The girl called Jade had chocolate eyes and black hair that went just passed her shoulders as she pulled out the tie that held it back from her face. She was rather skinny and didn't seem very talkative, smiling mostly and tried to avoid being the center of attention. Like Elisa, she wore plain clothes of very dark colors.
Natalie, or Nat as she had asked to be called, was very outspoken and hyper. Her facial features were rounded, dark brown eyes and very long deep rich purple hair, extending almost to the middle of her thighs. Her clothes were also dark in color, mainly different shades of purple and indigo with odd design patterns. On her writs were several beaded bracelets, and both were sporting a watch.
Sekhmet continued to watch the group and listen to their conversation as everyone then sat on the couch. A feeling that something was familiar crept into his mind and try as he might, the Warlord couldn't shake it.
 
Sage paused outside Jessie's room for a moment then knocked.
"Come in."
He pushed the door open, trying to hide his smile as he looked at Jessie. "You're in a rather interesting position."
"Ha ha."
"Do you promise to be a good girl?"
She looked at him.
"If you don't," Sage told her, "I can't untie you."
"Can't or won't?"
"Both."
"I promise," Jessie sighed.
Sage untied the rope and helped Jessie stand up. After all, being tied to a bed for an extended period of time does tend to make one's body stiff. Jessie stretched her arms and legs then went into the bathroom. Sage left to give Jessie some privacy. As he stood in the hallway, the Halo Ronin heard the front door open and the girls' voices along with three other female voices and a male voice.
Jessie came out of the room, disturbing Sage's thoughts on who the boy was. He blinked at Jessie's clothes. She was dressed entirely in black--even her socks. It wasn't like he hadn't seen her dress like this before, but for some reason her outfit made her seem demonic in a way.
"What?" she asked.
"Nothing," Sage quickly answered. Maybe we should have asked Kayura to give her something to keep her calm, he though as they went downstairs.
"Hey, Jess!" Nat greeted when the two walked into the living room.
Before Jessie could respond, her eyes fixated on the one person she would have never expected to see in Japan. "Leon."
"Hello, Jessie. How are you?"
"Fine. Welcome to Japan."
Leon nodded. "Thank you."
Jessie walked over to the kitchen door, violently shoving it open. Joana immediately flew into the kitchen.
"Sis, I swear I didn't know that he… Sekhmet, I thought you left already," Joana said. "Why are you leaning over the sink?"
The Warlord turned a little to look at Joana and removed the cloth he was holding against his face. A slow trickle of blood came from his nose.
"The door hit him in the face," said Jessie. "Sorry about that."
"Not the first time this happened," said Sekhmet. "Don't worry about it."
"Should I get Twyla?" Joana asked.
"No," Sekhmet shook his head. "I'm going back to the Dynasty; Kayura can help me. We'll see you tonight, Jess." She nodded and Sekhmet vanished.
"What was he talking about?" Joana asked.
"Kayura wants to try a new spell to help my emotions," Jessie explained. "Sekhmet told me about it when I was… indisposed."
"I'm sorry we did that to you, but Jessie, it was for your own good."
"Afraid I'd decapitate Leon?"
"I swear I had no idea he was coming. None of us did until we saw him at the airport. He decided to come along at the last minute and there wasn't enough time to email us." Joana looked at her. "Don't you think I would have warned you if I knew Leon was coming?"
"I guess so," Jessie answered then smiled. "To be honest I'm quite impressed. Leon actually took the locks off his wallet."
"Please, sis," Joana hugged the taller girl, "please, please, please, pleeeease, don't fight with Leon. I don't think I'd be able to handle it."
"Okay," Jessie sighed, "no fighting. Now would you please let me go?"
"You don't like me anymore?"
"I still like you but Leon just walked into the kitchen."
Joana released her best friend and turned around. Sure enough, Leon stood in front of the kitchen door with a slight grin on his face.
"It's a good thing I know you two," Leon's smirk grew wider. "Anybody else would have raised their eyebrows."
Not like they haven't been raised at you, Jessie thought. "Can we help you with something?"
"I would like to talk to you privately," said Leon. "Would you excuse us, Joana?"
"No, not at all," Joana smiled nervously as she slowly walked to the swinging door. "I'll be helping the others settle in…" She kept her eye on Jessie, standing too close to the knife drawer than Joana would have liked. "I'm going now…" Joana walked out.
"Yes, Leon?" Jessie folded her arms over her chest and leaned against the counter.
Leon crossed the room until he was an arms length distance. "Can we be civil to each other?"
"Oh, now you want to be civil?" Jessie asked sarcastically. "Despite that I had apologize years ago for breaking into your locker and putting-"
"Okay, I was behaving like an ass," Leon admitted. "I was wrong for the way I acted."
Jessie walked over to the telephone and opened the number directory book. Leon was puzzled. "What are you doing?"
"I'm looking for the number for BBC World News."
"Jessie."
She closed the book and turned to face him. "Well?"
Leon sighed. "I forgive you for the prank," he said, "and I'm sorry for telling Joana to stop being friends with you."
"Okay," Jessie held out her right hand; Leon accepted it and they shook. "See, Leon, pride isn't such a bitter pill after all."
Leon jerked his hand away, scowling at Jessie as he left the kitchen. Jessie couldn't help smirking; she knew she would hear it from Joana later on but the small victory was a perfect end to her war with Leon. However, keeping herself from saying any wisecracks was a new challenge. Jessie left the kitchen to join her friends.
It was going to be a long night.
 
"She hit you with the kitchen door?" Cale asked.
"She didn't know I was behind it," said Sekhmet, head tilted back as Kayura focused on healing him. Finished, she removed the cloth. "Thank you." Sekhmet straightened and breathed deeply through his nose.
"What were you doing behind the door anyway?" Kayura asked, tossing the cloth into the linen basket.
"I was curious to see their friends," the Venom Warlord admitted. "Jade, Nat, Elisa and Leon."
"Who's Leon?" asked Dayus.
"Jessie went to school with him a few years ago. Apparently nobody knew he was coming to Japan because when Joana came into the kitchen, she swore that she didn't know." Sekhmet looked at them. "Jessie and Leon do not get along very well."
"Uh oh," Cale said.
"Do you think we should bring Jessie back into the Dynasty?" Dayus looked at Kayura.
"We can't," his wife answered, "how will Ryo and the others explain Jessie's disappearance?"
"She decided to go back to America?" Cale suggested.
"What if her mother calls?" asked Sekhmet. "Jessie told me that they've cleared up their misunderstandings."
"Snag, as Casey would say," said Cale.
"And how is Casey?" Dayus asked with a smirk. "Looks like she's not going to be spending the night here for a while."
"Dayus," Kayura scolded.
"Sorry, I couldn't help it," her husband said. "When should we go get Jessie?"
"Not until late tonight," said Kayura, "when their friends are asleep."
"Do you think this new spell will help her?"
"I hope so."
 
"It's alright, Jessie."
"No, it's not."
"Cye and Rowen will forgive you. It may take a while but they know you're having trouble with your emotions."
"Sage, I called Rowen an airhead and I slapped Cye--they are never going to speak to me again."
Sage just shook his head as he guided Jessie upstairs. He opened the door; Jessie walked through in a zombie-like state and went into the bathroom. After a few minutes, she came out wearing grey cotton pajamas. Sage pulled the covers back on her bed and Jessie lay down.
"Don't worry about it," said Sage, as he put the covers over her.
"My best friend's boyfriend hates me," Jessie said.
Sage walked to the door. "And your boyfriend's best friend hates you."
"My boyfriend's best friend hate-huh?" Jessie sat up but Sage quickly left the room, shutting the door. Jessie gave a meek laugh, and then collapse on the bed.
 
What were you thinking?! Sage mentally yelled at himself, standing in the hallway, feeling like a complete idiot. You only had a couple dates with her! Why did you say boyfriend?!
Because you're in love with her, Sage answered himself. I am… I've never felt this way before. Sighing, the Halo Ronin went downstairs.
"-Tied her to the bed?!" Jade's shocked voice reached Sage.
"What the hell did you do that for?!" Nat exclaimed.
"She just got over pneumonia," said Gwen. "We didn't want her to get sick again."
"Maybe you should've kept her tied down," Leon said.
"Be nice," Elisa glared at him, "or I'll hit you."
"You wouldn't."
"I would but you'd probably enjoy it."
"Not." Leon kissed her.
"Did I just see that?" Casey asked.
"They've been dating since the beginning of October," Nat informed.
YES! Cye's mind screamed and smiled a little.
"Congratulations," said Twyla; she looked up as Sage walked entered the room. "How's Jessie?"
"She went to bed," he answered.
"Too bad Dr. Fuji didn't give her any sedatives," Rowen snorted.
Ryo began to cough. "I need water," he managed to say. Rising from the couch, Ryo went into the kitchen.
Mia followed. "What's wrong?"
"I'm not sure," Ryo rubbed the center of his chest.
 
Dayus and Kayura watched from the doorway as the Staff danced madly around their room, the rings clanging rapidly.
"What's wrong with it?" Dayus asked.
Kayura just shook her head.
 
"Thanks for your help, Anubis."
"Anytime, Michael. Everything back in place?"
"Yes, it is," the Cavern Watcher sat down behind his large stone desk, sighing with relief. "Paper documents in order, walls fixed, and statues repaired; we're just about back to norm-"
The sound of glass shattering pierced the air. Anubis and Michael ran down the hall into a room with twenty different colored large windowpanes, which floated above the slate floor.
Michael stared at the golden pane, now cracked and darkened. "Oh no…"
 
Almost… I can…
No!
I will!
It's not yours!
It is now!
 
Her eyes flew open, gasping, stared at the ceiling. Raising her left hand, she touched the wall. Slowly, she sat up then swung her legs over the side of the bed. Standing up, she took slow steps across the room. It had been so long since she had done simple movements. Smiling, looked at her hands, felt the power deep inside.
Voices came from beneath her. The tiger was in the Dynasty, she remember them talking earlier.
Walking over to the balcony doors, she opened them and stepped outside. The winter's night welcomed her with its cold embrace. Shivering her new eyes surveyed the snow-covered scenery. A figure stepped from the shadows. He raised his whip and then bowed.
She smiled. "Kuriyami."
 
"Are you sure you're alright?" Mia asked.
Ryo nodded. "Yeah, it stopped."
"Maybe you should call Kayura just to be safe."
"Good idea."
"Who the hell are you?!" Nat's exclamation reached the couple's ears. They quickly ran back into the living room."
"Where's Jessie?" Kayura demanded; the worried look on her face and the tone of her voice began to disturb everyone.
"Upstairs, sleeping," Ryo told her.
"Joana went to bring her some tea," said Sage. "What's wrong?"
Screaming came from upstairs. Sage, Ryo, and Kayura ran from the living room. They raced up the steps into Ryo's and Jessie's room.
The balcony doors were wide open, the curtains flapping madly from the wind. Joana was sitting on the floor, her back pressed against the wall and her eyes wide, staring at the open doors. The teacup had rolled over to the night table with a dark stain trailing behind it.
"Joana," Sage knelt beside her. Putting his hands on Joana's shoulders, the Halo Ronin made her look at him. "What happened? Where's Jessie?"
"…H-he…" Joana stuttered. "He took her…"
"Who?" asked Ryo.
"…Kuriyami…"
Laughter, dark and full of malice, drifted into the room. Ryo and Kayura ran out onto the balcony. Kuriyami floated not far away from the mansion. His metallic mask seemed to have a sadistic glee to it.
"Lose something?" he asked with a mock tone. "I thought that you would have kept better watch over the Dragon Child by now."
"Now, now, Kuriyami," a dark, silvery woman's voice spoke. "No need to tease them."
"As you say, your highness," Kuriyami floated backwards to the trees.
"Show yourself!" Kayura shouted.
"You forgot to say 'please'," the female voice said, "but I'll be a good sport and humor you."
A pair of glowing red eyes appeared in front of Ryo and Kayura, followed by a hooded cloak, which covered her face and body.
"My name is Yurei," she said, "I am the Princess of the Netherworld."
"Where's Jessie?" Ryo growled.
"The Dragon Child is in my care, Wildfire," said Yurei. "You want her, you'll have to fight for her."
"It would be wise to bring the other Warlords along," Kuriyami said, "it wouldn't be fair to them if you left them out."
"When I get my hands on you," Kayura hissed, "you'll wish you had the same fate as Badamon."
"That remains to be seen," said Yurei. "I'm going on ahead, Kuriyami. Make sure they don't get lost."
"Yes, your highness," Kuriyami bowed, and Yurei vanished. Kuriyami looked at Ryo and Kayura. "Whenever you're ready."
"We have been," said Dayus as he dropped his illusion. He stood on top of the roof with Cale and Sekhmet.
Kuriyami looked up at the Warlords. "Were you planning to stand there all night?" he asked. "How long have you been up there?"
"Long enough," said Cale. "Where's Jessie?"
So you didn't see what happened, Kuriyami thought. Good, this will be a little more interesting.
"Answer, Kuriyami!" Sekhmet yelled.
"Do you really want to know? I'm not certain if I should tell you--it might be a little too much for all of you to take in." Kuriyami floated upwards. "I will say that the Dragon Child is with Princess Yurei but that is all that I am going to tell you. Anything else, you can find out afterwards." He looked down, seeing the other Ronins standing on the patio in their sub-armors. "Ah, you're all here. Wonderful, now we can go."
"Where's Jessie?" Sage yelled. "You didn't answer that question properly."
"She's where you received the shock of you life," Kuriyami raised his left hand, "and believe me, you're going to have another one."
A bright purplish light emitted from his hand, blinding everyone. Inside the house, the girls and Leon looked away from the window. When the light faded, they opened their eyes and the Ronins were gone.
"I see that there are a few things you neglected to mention in your emails," Nat finally broke the long silence.
"Yeah," Joana said, having come downstairs with Sage when the Warlords were yelling at Kuriyami. "I guess we do have some explaining to do."
"This better be a good one," said Leon.
"Oh, it is," said Casey.
"It started when we got here," Gwen said.
"Jessie went out for a walk," Twyla began, "while we stayed at the hotel to sleep off the jetlag…"
 
"Does this place look familiar?" Kento asked. "Or is it just me?"
"It's the parking lot where we fought Kuriyami," said Cye. "Why here?"
"Because this place is sentimental to me," Yurei spoke as she materialized on top of a light pole. Her cloak was pushed back, revealing the black skin-tight suit, dark metal arm and leg guards and chest plate, with a sword at her left hip. Yet the hood still covered Yurei's face.
"This is where it all began." She held out gloved hand, "but you never realized it."
"What have you done with Jessie?" Ryo glared at her.
"Oh, don't worry, Wildfire, she's very close. I will tell you where she is, however…" Yurei clapped her hands twice. Nether Soldiers burst from the ground, surrounding the nine Armor bearers. "If you want me to tell you, you'll have to defeat me after you defeat them. Kuriyami."
"Yes, your highness," he appeared next to her.
"I haven't had any entertainment for quite a few millennia. Try to make it last."
"As you command."
"Anybody else experiencing déjà vu?" asked Sage.
"Slight," Sekhmet answered.
"Let's finish this," said Ryo and they summoned their Armors.
Yurei watched quietly as the Ronins and Warlords destroyed the Nether Soldiers. Finally, Kuriyami was the only one left surrounded by the Chosen. He reached for his whip, but Dayus moved quicker. Grabbing the scythes from his back, Dayus aimed at Kuriyami, and the blades shot out. The webbing burst from the ends, wrapping around Kuriyami.
"Princess!" the bounded demon cried out. "Please help your servant!"
"Whatever for?" Yurei asked. "Do you believe that you are the only one who can control the Nether Spirits? Badamon may have taught you how to command them, Kuriyami, but Emperor Talpa also granted that power to me. Therefore, I no longer need you."
She jumped from the pole, pulling her katana from its sheath and brought the blade down on Kuriyami. The hideous smoke billowed from the cut, and Kuriyami's armor fell to the ground and disappeared.
"You have to admit that he was annoying," Yurei looked at the Ronins and Warlords. Angered eyes stared at her, and then she jumped away before Cale's tri-claw struck her. "Nine against one," Yurei spun her sword once counterclockwise and a second sword appeared. "I like the odds."
Sage charged at her. Yurei blocked his sword, and then kicked him in his chest, sending the Halo Ronin skidding across the pavement. Ryo and Cye attacked next. Yurei jumped into the air; her swords began to glow and she held them up above her head.
"CHAOS BLADE SEVER!" Yurei shouted, swinging the two katanas downward. A dark magenta energy beam exploded from the blades, hurtling towards the Ronins and Warlords. The beam struck the ground in front of them, and the shockwave sent all nine flying back, crashing into the ground.
"Ow… that hurt," Cye grunted as he struggled to get up.
Yurei laughed as she floated down to the pavement. "Impressed?" she asked. "If not, I do have a few other moves you can-" Something slammed into her back and knocked Yurei to the ground.
"White Blaze?" Ryo whispered.
"I opened the Gate," Kayura said, "just after we got here."
They looked at the tiger, standing ready to strike but he didn't move from his spot.
"C'mon!" Kento yelled. "What are you waiting for?! Maul her, White Blaze!"
"Heh, it's true," Yurei said as she pushed herself up, making sure that the hood still shielded her face. "Animals are smarter than humans." She held out her left hand. "I know you can hear me, Black Blaze," Yurei said. "You remember how fond I was of Saber Stryke."
"Is she saying what I think she's saying?" Kento blinked.
"Sounds like it," answered Rowen.
Yurei placed her hand on top of the tiger's head. "I know how much you would love to have him back," she said, "I could do that. I can do that, Black Blaze, if you come with me."
"White Blaze!" Ryo cried out.
The tiger snapped out of his trance. He jerked his head away from Yurei, growling at her.
"So you do have a new master," Yurei rose to her feet. "We'll see how long that loyalty lasts." Holding out her hands, she created an energy wave, aiming it directly at White Blaze. The tiger dug his claws into the ground, but White Blaze lost his hold and flew into the air. He crashed in front of Ryo, moved slightly then stilled.
Horrified, Ryo sprinted to his beloved tiger. He let out a relieved sigh when he saw White Blaze breathing. The Ronin leader turned raged-filled eyes to Yurei. Moving in front of White Blaze, Ryo put the Wildfire Sword ends together.
"FLARE UP NOW!"
The double edge beam of fire jumped from the twin katanas, heading directly towards Yurei. She stood where she was as if welcoming the attack. The flare hit her, and the ground where she stood exploded. Ryo closed his eyes and sighed. Several shocked gasps made him open them again.
Yurei was standing exactly where she had been, untouched by Ryo's attack.
"Maybe I should have told you that cheap parlor tricks do not work on me," said Yurei.
Ryo let out a frustrated scream and charged full speed at Yurei; the Warlords followed.
"Rowen," said Sage, "I got an idea."
"What?" his best friend looked at him.
"As soon as you get a clear shot, start firing arrows at Yurei and don't stop."
"That's your idea?" Kento looked at the blonde.
"That's all he has to do," Sage held up his sword. "I'm taking care of the rest."
"Gotcha," said Rowen, readying his bow. When Yurei jumped back from her five attackers, Rowen let his arrows fly.
Yurei saw the oncoming projectiles and deflected them with her katanas. Sage, meanwhile, moved around Yurei, being careful that she didn't see him. Gripping his sword with both hands, the Halo Ronin charged directly at Yurei.
The Netherworld Princess saw him and moved to get away but she wasn't quick enough. Sage swung his blade, cutting the unprotected part of Yurei's upper left arm. A pained cry escaped from Yurei. She jumped into the air and landed on the light pole, gripping the wound with her right hand.
Rowen grinned; Sage's plan had worked. Now let's get this over with, Rowen thought. He aimed at Yurei and pulled back the arrow.
"Wait!" Sage yelled. Everyone looked at him. The Halo Ronin slowly turned to face them with a shocked disturbed expression. Sage held up his sword so that the others could see the dark liquid trickling down the blade.
"Blood…?" Cye whispered.
Yurei began to laugh. "You haven't defeated me exactly," she said as she placed her katana in its sheath, "but you did win this battle. So as I promised, I'll tell you where the Dragon Child is." She reached her left hand up and pushed back the hood. Everyone gasped.
Jessie stood before them. Her eyes were now red instead of the gentle dark brown, and her face now held a sinister look.
"What the hell…" Cale couldn't believe it. "Jessie?!"
"Not Jessie," Yurei corrected him, "merely her physical body. She's still in here, though in the company of Nether Spirits. I am in control of her body." She looked at Ryo. "Oh, the stories you can share with her, Wildfire."
"How did you get inside her?" Ryo demanded.
"As I said before, this place is sentimental to me. Thank your beloved Ancient One. That monk was a fool to believe that Talpa was the only one inhabiting the Mystic Armor."
"It was you," said Dayus. "You were the one telling Jessie she was like Talpa!"
"What?!" Kayura looked at her husband, "Why didn't you tell us?!"
"Very good, Dayus," Yurei said. "Yes, I was the one telling her that she was exactly like the emperor. She reacted just the way I had hoped after showing her the memory of how Talpa destroyed the Ancient Clan."
Kayura glared daggers at her.
"Would you like to know why you are the only member of your Clan left alive, Kayura?" Yurei asked with a dark smile. "One reason you already know--Talpa wanted to use your power when he took control of the Mortal Realm. The second reason is when he was finished with you, I was promised to have your body. But as you can see, that didn't happen, and guess who you can thank."
"Badamon…" Kayura whispered.
"That idiotic priest should have just left you alone. But I do have to be grateful for what he did. I find the Dragon Child to be a more suitable host that you." Yurei removed her right hand from the cut on her arm. "Your handiwork, Halo?" she asked, holding her hand out to show the blood. "It's a good thing that you missed."
Sage grimaced. If she hadn't moved, Jessie would have been dead at his hand.
"She will see you attacking her," Yurei taunted. "What a pity, after all those fantasies she's had about you--and yours about her." She laughed and turned her gaze to the Warlord of Venom. "I guess you better let go of that little hope, Sekhmet, if you're still holding onto it."
Sekhmet just narrowed his eyes and said nothing.
Yurei grinned. "I shall take my leave now."
"Let her go!" Sage shouted.
"Sorry, Halo, but I still have need of her." Yurei held up her arms. "I have to retrieve something first, and then I shall call for you. Until then, everyone. Ja maata ne."
A cloud of blackish smoke surrounded her, and then she was gone.
Sage dropped to his knees; he leaned over, coughing. "I almost killed her," he gagged.
Rowen knelt beside his best friend. He didn't try to say anything, knowing that it wouldn't come out right.
Ryo looked at the Halo Sword and stared at Jessie's blood. He felt something nudge his right hand. Looking down, Ryo saw White Blaze sitting next to him. Smiling a little, Ryo placed his hand on the tiger's head. You knew, White Blaze, Ryo thought. You knew Jessie's scent.
Sekhmet walked away from the group. Cale started to go after him but Dayus held his arm out, shaking his head.
Sage finally calmed down and he sat up, looking with grief-stricken eyes at the light pole. "Jessie…"
 
May 26, 2003
 
Hmm… how should I start this? An apology? Well, maybe a little one but give me some credit this time! Last update was in January! At least this one is within the same year!
And to the reviewer on FF.net, I am not a bum!
This is a very long chapter--18 pages, single spaced, one-inch border, not including my little note here. This is on page 19.
The events I put Casey and Cale through I added in because my friend, Kyanite, and I were joking about how these two lovebirds got together. And I though it would be funny if Mia walked in on them.
 
Janime
 
September 12, 2005
 
Wow, it's been over two years since I wrote this chapter. I am such a slacker.
 
Morgan Ray pointed out to me that I never really went into detail about Jade, Nat, Elisa, and Leon. She was right and so I put in their descriptions where Sekhmet was playing voyeur from the kitchen. (What a snoop, eh?)
 
Enjoy and I do hope that the details of the newbies help shed some light. See ya!
 
Janime