Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ Warrior Call ❯ Do You See What I See? ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Ronin Warriors
Warrior Call
By Janime
Part Five - Do You See What I See?
**********
The little boy ran across the field towards the mangled body. The lifeless eyes stared at the sky, blood flowed from the wound in his throat, and his right arm had been torn off by the beast that killed him.
"NO!" the little boy cried. "DADDY!"
"Dad…"
Jessie woke up, the little boy's cries from her dream still echoed in her mind.
"Dad… Daddy, no… no… Dad…"
No, not from the dream.
"Daddy…"
Ryo. Jessie looked at him. Ryo had kicked off the blankets and his head was turning from side to side violently. "Dad…" Ryo called, his voice getting louder.
Jessie got up and walked over to him. "Ryo," she said, shaking him gently. She had to wake him up before the rest of the house heard him.
"Daddy! Dad!" Ryo's voice was near screaming.
"Ryo!" Jessie shook him harder. He sat up quickly, startling her. She jumped back and nearly tripped over White Blaze. Ryo stared straight ahead. Jessie put her hand on his shoulder. He looked at her as if seeing her for the first time. Jessie sat down on the edge of the bed. "Ryo, are you okay?" she asked gently.
"J… Jessie?" He looked away from her and covered his face with his hands.
"What's wrong?" Jessie asked.
Ryo started trembling.
He's crying, Jessie realized. "Ryo, don't cry." She put her arm around him. "It's okay, I'm here."
Ryo hugged her and sobbed quietly on her shoulder. His hair and skin were damp from sweat. Jessie started to feel tears in her eyes and her breath catch in her throat.
"Ryo, stop crying," Jessie said. "Because if you don't, I'll start crying and it's not a pretty sight."
Ryo managed a slight laugh and moved away from Jessie.
"Here you go." She handed him a tissue.
"Thanks." Ryo wiped his face and blew his nose.
"Bad dream?" Jessie asked.
"Yeah," Ryo nodded.
"Your dad was killed by a wild animal when you were little, wasn't he?"
Ryo looked at her. "How did you know?"
"I had a dream of a little boy running across a field towards a body just lying there." Jessie said. "He was screaming 'No, Daddy'. And when I woke up, you were saying 'Dad' in your sleep. It was you - that little boy."
He nodded again. "He was a wildlife photographer. He took me with him to Africa when I was five. A lion killed him." Ryo opened the night table drawer and took out a picture of himself, his parents, and his father's parents. Jessie looked at it and saw the remarkable resemblance between Ryo and his father.
"You have your mother's eyes," she said.
"And the rest comes from my dad," said Ryo. "I'm about two-years-old in that picture. My mom died from cancer shortly after it was taken. Her parents wouldn't accept me as their grandson. They didn't even go to her funeral."
"Why not?" Jessie asked surprised.
"They didn't want her to marry my father because they had her arranged to marry someone else," Ryo explained. "But my parents were very much in love. They eloped with help from my father's parents. He was twenty and she was eighteen. I was born two years later."
"That's sweet," said Jessie. "It took my dad three times before my mom agreed to marry him. He finally got it right the third time."
"How's that?"
"He bought the ring."
Ryo chuckled. "At least you still have your parents."
"Yeah," Jessie sighed. Too bad they're control freaks. She gave the picture to Ryo and he put it back in the drawer. "Didn't you tell the others?" Jessie asked.
"They know that my parents died when I was little," said Ryo. "But I never told them how they died or my mother's parents refusing me as their grandson." He sighed. "Now I don't have a family. I'm alone."
"No you're not," said Jessie. "You've got Mia, Yuli, Sage, Cye, Kento, Rowen, White Blaze, Sekhmet, Cale, Dayus, and Kayura. They're your family. And now you've got my friends and me. Family doesn't have to be blood, Ryo. It's who you care about and who cares about you."
"Thanks, Jessie." Ryo hugged her.
"What are sisters for?" she asked. Ryo smiled and Jessie put the blankets over him. "Goodnight, Ryo."
"Don't you mean 'Good morning'?" he asked. "It's three, forty-five."
"Oh lord," Jessie sighed. "I'm not going to have a decent night's sleep while I'm here, am I?"
Ryo laughed quietly. "Sweet dreams."
"You too."
Jessie woke up around quarter after seven. She sat up and stretched. Looking at Ryo, she saw a pleasant smile on his face, indicating that he had slept the rest of the night peacefully.
"Morning, White Blaze." Jessie said to the tiger.
He watched Jessie stand up, take her clothes from yesterday off the chair, and go into the bathroom.
Jessie put her bra on; deciding it would be improper if she didn't wear it.
Too bad it wasn't just Sage and me, she thought, tiptoeing out into the hallway and down the stairs.
Jessie peeked into the living room. Rowen, Kento, Cye, and Sage were still asleep. Jessie resisted the temptation to walk over to Sage and kiss him awake. He looked so cute curled up on the chair. Fighting the temptation, she walked into the kitchen.
Hmm, what can I make for breakfast? Jessie opened a cabinet and noticed a large box of pancake mix. She took it out and set it on the table. She walked over to the refrigerator and pulled out eggs, milk, syrup, and bacon.
I hope Mia doesn't mind, Jessie thought as she took the pans out and started to cook.
Kento woke up from a dream that he was in an all-you-can-eat restaurant, realizing that he was chewing on his pillow.
It seemed so real! Kento put his head back down and inhaled deeply. Bacon, he thought.I smell bacon!
Kento looked around and saw that his friends were still asleep, and he knew that it couldn't be Mia since she liked to sleep late on weekends. So who was it?
Only one way to find out, Kento thought as he stood up and went into the kitchen.
"Morning, Kento."
"Jessie?" he asked surprised.
"I hope I didn't wake you up," she said and put some pancakes on a plate.
"Oh no," said Kento. "I was just hungry. I smelled the bacon."
"Here." Jessie gave him the plate.
"Uh, thank you," Kento said, trying not to drool all over the pancakes.
"The syrup, milk, and some glasses are on the dining table," said Jessie.
"Thanks." He went into the dining room and sat down. Kento was in the middle of his second pancake when Sage walked in.
"It's a miracle," he said sleepily. "You made pancakes."
"I didn't make them," said Kento, "Jessie did."
"Jessie?" Sage's eyes widened.
"Yeah, she's in the kitchen."
Jessie came into the dining room carrying another plate of pancakes and a plate full of bacon. "Hi, Sage," she said. "Hungry?"
"Yeah, thanks." He took the plate Jessie offered, sat down, and watched Jessie as she went back into the kitchen.
"These are good," said Kento.
"Kento, don't talk with you mouth full," Sage begged. "That's disgusting."
Jessie returned a few minutes later and sat across from Sage. "The rate I'm going," she said, "I'll never have a chance to eat."
"At least everyone else is still asleep," said Kento.
"I thought I heard someone talking," said Cye as he entered the dining room. "What's cooking?"
"Pancakes," said Jessie. "Want some?"
"Sure."
"Have these." Jessie stood up.
"Oh no, I'll wait." Cye said.
"I didn't touch the plate. Go ahead, I'll make some more." Jessie disappeared into the kitchen. Cye sat down and started eating.
"Morning," Rowen said as he walk in.
"Hey, Rowen," the trio greeted him.
Cye quickly stood up, grabbed Rowen's arm, and dragged him into the kitchen. Cye pushed Rowen over by Jessie. "Watch her," said Cye, "and learn." He went back to the dining room.
Rowen looked at Jessie. "Hello."
"Morning," said Jessie. "Should I ask what that was about?"
"I can't cook," Rowen admitted. "My last attempt was before Saranbo arrived." He looked at the floor. "I blew up the microwave."
Jessie looked at him in shock. "And nobody has let you near cooking instruments since then, have they?"
Rowen shook his head. "Nope."
"Why don't you just observe." Jessie said.
Rowen watched Jessie as she made the pancakes. "That doesn't seem so hard." Rowen said.
"No offense," said Jessie. "But if you can make a microwave explode, I hate to see what'll happen if you use a gas stove. Maybe I can get Twyla to teach you a little cooking."
"Cye tried to," said Rowen. "He can no longer eat oatmeal without having seizures." He walked into the dining room.
A few minutes later, Jessie walked in with a plate of pancakes. Ryo also walked in. "Morning," he said, stretching.
"Bon apite." Jessie handed him the plate and went back into the kitchen.
Ryo looked at the plate and then his friends who were grinning. He shrugged and sat down.
Jessie finally managed to sit down next to Ryo and enjoy her breakfast. "I don't care if anyone else wakes up," she said, cutting the pancakes. "They're going to wait till I'm done."
"Can't blame you," said Sage.
"So, Jessie," said Cye. "Tell us about your family."
Jessie stopped and Sage looked at Cye.
"What about them?" she asked.
"Well, what does your father do for a living?"
"Town plumber."
"Your mother?"
"Ex-teacher."
"Any siblings?"
"One brother."
"Could you give us more than a two word vocab on them?" asked Rowen.
"Who wants some more pancakes?" Jessie stood up, taking her plate with her into the kitchen.
The Ronins looked at each other. "Was it something I said?" Rowen asked.
"Cye got more out of her than I did at the library," said Sage. "My guess is that she doesn't like talking about her family."
Ryo stood up and went into the kitchen. Jessie was by the stove, making more pancakes.
"What's wrong?" Ryo asked.
"Nothing."
"Do you want to talk about it?"
"No," snapped Jessie.
"Okay," said Ryo. "But if you ever want to talk about anything, we're here." He went back into the dining room.
"Well?" Sage asked.
"I told her if she ever wants to talk about it, we'd listen." Ryo sat down and continued eating.
"Poor sis," said Joana, "another headache."
"Look on the bright side," said Casey. "We won't have to pry her off any game machines with a crowbar." She took a yellow floral pattered sweater off the rack. "What do you think?"
"It looks nice," said Mia. "Why do you call her 'sis', Joana?"
"We were on a trip together and people thought we were sisters." Joana explained. "So we always called each other 'sis' since then."
"That's cute," said Mia. "What about her headaches?"
"She was in a car accident during Spring Break this past March," said Twyla. "They come once in a while, and occasionally they're really bad."
"Has she seen a doctor?" Mia asked.
"She's had an MRI," said Gwen. "It didn't pick up anything unusual. All she can do now is bear with it."
Jessie's head was still throbbing when she woke up. "I hate this," she mumbled, getting off the bed and went downstairs.
"Feeling any better?" she heard Ryo ask.
Jessie looked into the living room and saw the Ronins and Warlords. "Unfortunately, no," she said. "I'm going to take an aspirin and go back to sleep." She went into the kitchen, took a glass, filled it with water, took two aspirin, and went upstairs.
Anubis was looking at the grandfather clock on the second floor, next to the study. He loved that clock. It was one of his favorite things in Mia's house. He heard Jessie walking up the stairs, but didn't bother to hide. After all, who could see him? Anubis heard Jessie gasp and something landed on the floor. He turned his head and looked at Jessie. She was a little pale, her eyes were wide, and she had dropped the glass. Anubis turned back to the clock.
She looks like she's seen a ghost, he thought. Wait a minute… I'm a spirit! She can see me!
Anubis looked at Jessie again. <Uh… hi? > he said.
Jessie's eyes rolled up and she fell to the floor. Anubis rushed over and knelt next to her.
Oh dear, he thought.Now what do I do?
Thump!
"What was that?" asked Kento.
"I don't know," said Cye. "It sounded like it came from upstairs."
"Jessie," whispered Ryo. He quickly walked out of the living room and up the stairs. Sage followed. They saw Jessie lying on the floor. They did not see Anubis kneeling next to her.
"I'm sorry," he apologized even though they couldn't hear him.
Ryo and Sage quickly rushed to Jessie.
"Is she all right?" Sage asked.
"I hope so," said Ryo. "Bring her downstairs. Maybe Kayura can heal her."
Sage gently lifted Jessie in his arms and carried her down the steps. Anubis followed.
Maybe I'll stick around for a while, Anubis thought. She can see me. This is a breakthrough to talking to the Ronins.
"What happened?" Kayura asked when they entered.
"She was lying in the hallway," said Sage. He put Jessie on the couch.
"That was my fault," Anubis said, standing by the fireplace. "I didn't mean to scare her."
"Ow," Jessie groaned. "My head." She opened her eyes. "How did I get down here?"
"We brought you down," said Sage. "What happened? Your headache make you pass out?"
"No, it wasn't my headache," Jessie said. "It was… something else."
"What was it?" Kento asked.
"You wouldn't believe me." Jessie sat up and saw Anubis standing by the fireplace. She froze. He waved.
"What is it?" Ryo asked, sitting down next to her.
"Nothing..." Jessie said, trying to remain clam.
<Liar, > Anubis said.
Jessie made a strangled noise and lowered her head. "There's a man standing over by the fireplace," she said.
<They can't see me, you know, > said Anubis.
"I know that," Jessie growled.
{Boy, has she lost it,} Ryo thought.
Jessie looked at Ryo sharply. "I have not lost it!" she shouted at him, and he leaned back in shock.
"What is your problem?" Rowen asked.
"Are you deaf?" Jessie snapped. "He said, 'Boy, has she lost it.' Don't deny it!"
"Jessie," said Sage, "Ryo didn't say anything."
"Yeah right!"
"I thought it," Ryo admitted, still a little shocked.
Jessie sank into the couch and stared at the coffee table.
<Amazing, > said Anubis. <You can hear and see me, and hear Ryo's thoughts. No wonder the Nether Soldier chased you. >
"Please don't remind me," Jessie begged him.
"Who are you talking to?" asked Cye.
"The man standing by the fireplace," Jessie repeated. "He has shoulder length reddish-brown hair, not as dark as mine, not as light as Cye's. It's closer to Mia's. He has very nice eyes-"
<Thank you. >
"You're welcome. -And he's dressed like the monk in my sketchbook."
The Ronins and Warlords looked at each other. "Anubis?" Ryo asked.
<Hello, Ryo. >
"He said, 'Hello'," Jessie told him.
"Wait a minute," said Kayura. She made the Staff appear, muttered a chant, and the rings started to clang.
Jessie's head pounded worse than before. She put her hands over her ears.
"Anubis!" Kayura said happily.
<Hello, Kayura, > he said.
"I don't believe it! She can see you!"
<I didn't believe it either, until I said 'Hi' and she passed out. >
"This is amazing," said Kayura. "I wonder how-"
"Would you mind turning down the volume on that thing!" Jessie interrupted.
"Hold on for one minute, Anubis." Kayura made the Staff stop clanging.
"Much better." Jessie sighed and lowered her hands.
"Your headache is gone?" Kayura asked.
"No, I still have it. Only it's not as bad as it was before, when you had the Staff ringing."
"But what about your headache last night during supper?" Ryo asked.
<I was at Yuli's team celebration, > said Anubis. <If that helps you. >
Jessie looked at him. "Did you by chance happen to be here on September eighteenth?" she asked.
<In the middle of the night I came here. Why? >
"Middle of the night for you, middle of the day for me."
"What are you talking about?" asked Rowen.
"He's causing my headaches," said Jessie. "Don't know how, but he is."
<Sorry. >
"It's all right. You're not doing it on purpose. I hope."
"And the Staff for some reason made it worse," said Dayus. He turned to Kayura. "When you started talking to him."
"Anubis's presence here in the Mortal Realm somehow interferes with Jessie's mind." Kayura said. "And so does the Staff. Still, it's a blessing that she can see him."
"A blessing?" Jessie asked. "This blessing of mine happens to have a slight string attached."
Kayura thought for a moment, then walked in front of Jessie. "Would you mind if I use an incantation on you?" she asked. "You might be able to see Anubis without the headaches."
"Okay," Jessie agreed. Why not? Twyla's don't.
"It'll hurt," Kayura warned.
"Nothing can be worse than before," said Jessie.
"Yes, it can," said the Ronins and Warlords together.
That's not very comforting, Jessie thought.
Kayura placed her hands on Jessie's head. She chanted and Jessie felt as if someone had taken a sledgehammer to her head. She gripped the couch cushions hard and then the pain was gone.
Kayura lifted her hands off Jessie's head. "Well?"
"It's gone," said Jessie. "Thank you."
"Can you still see Anubis?" Kayura asked.
Jessie looked over by the fireplace. "Yep. He's still there."
<I have things to do and places to go. I'll talk to you later. Bye. >
"Wait," Jessie said, but Anubis vanished. "Now he's gone," she sighed. Why do I get the feeling I should get used to that?
"Feeling better?" Sage asked.
"Much," said Jessie. "I needed to get out. Thanks for taking me to see 'Phoenix'."
After the Warlords had left, Sage asked Jessie if she wanted to go out for a while. He took her to see 'Phoenix' and now they were sitting at a table near a café in the mall.
"I kind of guessed," said Sage. "I think you've had your fill after today."
"Yeah," Jessie said, picking up a french fry.
Suddenly a little girl, about five-years-old, ran to Sage and hugged him. She had blonde hair and violet-hazel eyes like Sage. If Jessie didn't know any better, the little girl could pass as Sage's daughter.
"CEE DEE!" the little girl cried happily.
"Roxy?" Sage asked surprised. "What are you doing here? Where's-"
"Date Roxanne Sakura!"
"-Mom?"
A woman in her mid-forties, with blonde hair and dark violet eyes, came over to their table. "You are a naughty girl," Mrs. Date scolded.
"I'm sorry, Mama." Roxy said. "I wanted to see Cee Dee."
"Cee Dee?" Jessie was doing her best not to laugh.
"Don't ask," said Sage.
"Mind if I sit down?" Mrs. Date asked.
"Please, join us," Jessie said. Mrs. Date sat down.
"Mom, this is Jessie. She's one of the Exchange Student from America," Sage said. "Jessie, this is my mother, Date June. And my baby sister, Roxy."
"I'm not a baby. I'm five and I know karate," Roxy said and she gave Sage the raspberry. He rolled his eyes and Jessie laughed.
"It's nice to meet you, Mrs. Date." Jessie said.
"Thank you, Jessie," Mrs. Date said. "It's nice meeting you, too. But please, call me June."
Sage thought that he was going to have a heart attack. His mother never, ever gave permission to the previous girls he had gone out with to call her by her first name.
"Mama, I'm thirsty." Roxy said. "Can Cee Dee buy me a soda?"
"Take Roxy with you, Sage." Mrs. Date said.
"All right," said Sage. He took Roxy's hand and bought her a root beer.
She's definitely up to something, Sage thought, walking back to the table, Roxy in front of him.
"So Mom," he said. "What are you doing?"
"Oh, I just came to do a little clothes shopping for Roxy," Mrs. Date explained. "She's growing fast."
"What about-" A french fry hit Sage's face. He glared at Roxy, who had climbed onto Jessie's lap and dug into her food.
"Hey you," laughed Jessie. "That's my food."
"I'm hungry," said Roxy. "Can Jessie buy me an apple tart?"
"Of course, but a small one," said her mother. "I don't want you to spoil your supper. I'll reimburse you later, Jessie."
They watched Jessie and Roxy go to the small bakery and stand in line.
"What do you think you're doing?" Sage asked his mother.
"What am I trying to do?" Mrs. Date asked her son.
"You're trying to embarrass me."
"I am not," said Mrs. Date. "I just wanted to meet her, that's all."
"You said that she can call you 'June'," said Sage. "You've never done that with any of the girls I've gone out with before."
"Because they were the wrong girls. Jessie has a great personality, she's friendly, and she's good with kids. Roxy likes her and you know your sister doesn't give her affection to many people outside the family."
"I know," said Sage. "But don't embarrass me, please?"
"You have my word, I will do no such thing, my son." Mrs. Date promised. "And I'll make sure that your father and siblings won't either when she comes over for supper."
Sage nearly choked. "What?"
"I invited her over for supper."
"You didn't."
"I did."
"When?"
"When you got Roxy a soda."
"What day did you invite her over?"
"It'll be during your winter break from college." Mrs. Date said. "Don't worry."
"Why did you invite Jessie over for supper?" Sage asked calmly.
"Because you've finally picked the right girl, my son." She might even tame that damn, cursed pride of yours, Mrs. Date thought to herself. "She's perfect for you."
"Is it because she's from America?" Sage asked.
"That has nothing to do with it," said Mrs. Date. "Just because I'm an American doesn't mean that I want my children to marry Americans only. Melody married Hei-san and he's from Korea."
"Don't let the wedding bells ring in your head for me anytime soon," Sage informed her. "I'm not getting married until I have found the perfect girl."
She's standing with your youngest sister in line and before you're twenty-eight, Mrs. Date thought. A mother knows these things. It's a gift.
Jessie and Roxy came back to the table.
"Well Roxy," said Mrs. Date. "Time to go. I have dinner to make and appetites to sustain."
"Bye-bye, Cee Dee and Jessie." Roxy said as they left.
Jessie looked at Sage. "Cee Dee?"
"I'm her favorite brother," said Sage. "She likes to play cupid, so my nickname for her is Venus. I don't torment her, I protect her."
"Hank tormented me," Jessie said, "still does. He's probably ranking on me right now and Susan is laughing her ass off."
"I take it you don't like your future sister-in-law."
"Don't like? Try despise."
They finished their food and started to leave.
"Sage," said Jessie, "do you feel like something's wrong?"
"Yeah," he said and put his arm around Jessie. "Try to look normal and walk a little quicker."
They were almost to the door when a man, similar to the one that chased Jessie the day she arrived, blocked their path. "Well, well, well," he said. "What have we here? Halo protecting Callisto?"
Sage stood in front of Jessie. "What do you want?" Sage demanded.
"The Callisto," said the Nether Soldier and he pointed to Jessie.
"Why are you calling her 'Callisto'?"
"An appropriate name for someone with such power."
Two more Nether Soldiers appeared and the original changed into his armor.
"PUT ME DOWN!"
Sage turned around and saw the Nether Soldier holding Jessie in the air by her shirt. "Let her go!" he shouted.
"Talpa was able to enslave the city," said the Nether Soldier. "But with her power, we'll be able to revive him and enslave all of the Mortal Realm."
"Not me, pal!" Jessie slipped out of her shirt and Sage quickly changed into his sub-armor.
Suddenly the lights went out and a strange fog filled the area.
The Warlords, Sage thought. "Come on!" He grabbed Jessie's hand and they took off, the Nether Soldiers in pursuit.
"Get down!" a voice shouted.
Sage and Jessie ducked as a flash of hunter-green Armor went by them.
"Sekhmet!" called Sage.
"The Gate is to your right!" said Sekhmet. "Go through it! Now, both of you!"
They did as they were told.
"What the hell is that thing?!" Jessie asked.
"A Gate," Sage explained. "It leads to the Dynasty. We'll be safer there." Safer, yes. Comfier, no.
"I'm not going in th-ERE!"
Sage pushed Jessie through the Gate. He ran in, fell, and landed on something soft.
"I bet that you're comfortable," Sage heard Jessie. "But DO YOU MIND!"
Sage looked up and discovered that he was lying on top of Jessie, and his head had been resting on her chest. Sage's face turned redder than Wildfire. Jessie shoved him off. Sage quickly scrambled to his feet and turned his back to her.
"Sorry," he apologized, cheeks still pink.
Jessie didn't say anything. She hugged herself to cover her cleavage.
The Warlords appeared next to Sage, dressed in their traditional waist length kimonos and hakamas. Their backs turned to Jessie.
"You left something behind," said Cale as he tossed Jessie's shirt to her, over his shoulder.
"Thanks," she said.
Sage peeked over his shoulder to watch Jessie. Dayus hit his arm. "Eyes front," he whispered.
"I'm not married." Sage whispered back.
"Your mother is thinking otherwise."
"How would you know?"
"Kayura sent me to keep an eye on Jessie while you went out with her." Dayus said.
"You were spying on us." Sage accused.
"I call it keeping watch." Dayus grinned. " I just overheard the conversation. I hope that everything goes well at dinner."
"If I was given the opportunity," said Sage, his voice filled with malice. "Kayura would be very lonely for a couple weeks, because you would be recovering."
"You're even with Cale," said Dayus. "Not a chance in hell. You should be thanking me for having the Gate that high."
"Okay," said Jessie, preventing Sage from screaming at Dayus.
"I'm glad to see you're still alive," said Kayura, walking towards them. "Now that you're here, I can find out why the Nether Soldiers are after you."
"I knew I should have stayed home." Jessie sighed. "And I mean my home in America."
"They would have gotten to you eventually. But you're here. We can protect you."
"What do you mean? That they would actually go to America to get me?"
"I'm afraid so," said Kayura. "It depends on where you are, Jessie. What places you feel give you protection. I discovered that when I first met you. You felt safe inside Mia's house, even after meeting us. But when we went outside to show you our Armors, you lost that sense of security. If you had stayed at your home in America, the Nether Soldiers would have captured you, and we wouldn't know about it until it was too late."
"What is so important about me?" Jessie asked.
"I have to use an incantation on you to find out." Kayura said.
"No, thank you," said Jessie, backing away. "I really appreciate the one you used so that I can see Anubis without headaches, but one is enough for me today. I-uh…"
Sage caught Jessie before she landed on the ground.
"That's one way to shut someone up," said Sekhmet.
Sage looked at him and saw the thin needle that he was holding. "What the hell did you do to her?" demanded Sage.
"She's asleep, that's all." Sekhmet said. He put the needle in a small sheath, which was attached to his forearm, concealed by his sleeve. "It's similar to a tranquilizer in the Mortal Realm."
"Why did you do that to her?"
"She needs to be asleep anyway," said Kayura. "The spell I'll use is very-"
"No." Sage interrupted. "I'm brining her back to Mia's house. She's been through enough already."
"Sage, I understand that you care about her," said Kayura. "But unless we find out why the Nether Soldiers are after her, she won't be safe anywhere."
"Callisto."
"What?"
"He called her 'Callisto'," said Sage. "And said something about reviving Talpa and enslaving the entire planet, let alone the city, using Jessie."
"Can a mortal be that powerful?" Dayus asked.
"I don't know," said Kayura. "Please Sage, if you care about her, let me help her."
Sage looked at Jessie. Whatever power she possessed, the Nether Soldiers wanted. And Kayura didn't want Jessie to become what she once was. Sage picked Jessie up. "All right," he said.
"Follow me." Kayura led them to a small room. "I use this place when I'm practicing new spells."
Sage put Jessie in the center of the room. "Now what?" he asked.
"You must leave," said Kayura. "I can't have any distractions."
"Oh no," said Sage. "I'm not go- hey!"
Cale, Sekhmet, and Dayus grabbed Sage and hauled him out of the room.
"Let us know when you're finished," Dayus said and slid the door closed.
"What the hell-"
"Kayura knows what she's doing." Dayus cut Sage off. "She doesn't need interruptions from anyone, especially now. Kayura is descended from the Ancient Clan."
"I know that," said Sage. "I do trust her. I tolerate you. Sekhmet, you live up to your Armor. And you," he turned to face Cale, "I trust you as far as my baby sister Roxy can throw you."
"The feeling is mutual," said Cale.
Sage walked away, heading for Anubis' Shrine.
"Well, three out of four isn't bad," said Sekhmet. "Cye has the same opinion of me as Sage does you, Cale."
"Kento doesn't trust me," said Dayus, "and Rowen doesn't trust Kayura. Only Ryo trust all four of us. That bond was made when our powers were used to summon his Inferno Armor."
"If only the other Ronins can see that." Cale sighed.
Sage was sitting crossed-legged in Anubis' Shrine, trying to calm himself. He couldn't forgive Cale for nearly killing him, Mia, Yuli, or killing the animals in the forest six years ago.
Ryo forgave Cale and the other Warlords. So had Mia and Yuli.
As for Sage, it would take him longer than six years to forgive the Warlord of Corruption.
Kayura knelt next to Jessie and held her hands over Jessie's head.
"I don't blame you for being afraid," Kayura whispered. She chanted the Power Seek Spell and touched Jessie temples with her first two fingers. "Show me," said Kayura. "Show me the power within."
Kayura saw the lights that every person had in their souls, and she probed deeper. She found a golden orb, deep inside Jessie's spirit.
That must be the source, Kayura thought and she reached out to touch it.
A bright flash blinded her and pain shot through her body. Kayura screamed and fell backwards. Dayus opened the door.
"Kayura!" He quickly rushed to his wife and cradled her in his arms.
"I'm all right." Kayura groaned. "She has a lot of power. It's condensed in one spot. I tried to touch it and it reacted in defense. I should have cast a Protection Spell on myself first."
Sage arrived at the room in his regular outfit. "What happened?" he asked. "I heard Kayura's scream from the Shrine."
"Your friend nearly killed my wife," said Dayus.
"No, she didn't," said Kayura. "It's not her fault. It didn't do any damage, just knocked the wind out of me."
Jessie groaned and Sage walked over to her. "You okay?" he asked.
Jessie opened her eyes. "Yeah," she said. "What a trip."
Sage helped Jessie sit up and she saw Dayus holding Kayura. "What happened to you?" Jessie asked.
"Let's just say that you have one hell of a defense barrier," said Kayura.
"Are you okay? I didn't hurt you, did I?"
"No, I'm all right. It's not your fault." Kayura said. "You are strong, Jessie. But there's nothing else I can do today. Go home and get some rest."
"I'm glad we took the bus." Sage said and helped Jessie to her feet.
"Whoa," she said as she wobbled a little and held onto Sage for balance.
"Easy," said Sage.
"How do you feel?" Sekhmet asked.
"A little lightheaded." Jessie answered. "Other than that, I'm fine."
"That's good," said Kayura. She was standing and Dayus had his arm around her shoulders. "Sekhmet, could you open a Gate near Mia's house?"
"Of course," said Sekhmet. "Follow me, please."
As they followed him to the Gate, Sage silently thanked Kayura for not asking Cale to open it.
"I'm sorry I drugged you." Sekhmet apologized to Jessie. "Forgive me?"
"Don't worry about it," said Jessie. "The only person I hold grudges against is my brother."
Sekhmet smiled and opened the Gate. Sage and Jessie walked through.
"See you… whenever," Jessie said.
Sekhmet waved as the Gate closed and vanished.
"We're not far from Mia's house," said Sage.
"How do you know?" Jessie asked.
Sage pointed to Anubis' Stone Circle. "If you ever get lost in these woods," he said, "just go in the direction his name is facing and you'll arrive at Mia's house. But first, you have to find this."
"Good advice," said Jessie. "I'll keep that in mind."
They headed towards the house.
"Hey, look who's here," said Kento as Jessie and Sage walked in.
"Where is everyone?" Sage asked.
"They're around." Kento answered. "For supper, you have your choice of sea bass or chicken."
"I'll take the chicken," said Jessie.
"Okay, I know why Joana doesn't eat fish," Gwen said at the dinner table. "Cye, why don't you?"
"Because I like fish," said Cye. "They are beautiful creatures that live in the ocean."
"I'm looking at the next whale trainer for Sea World." Kento said, holding his hands in the shape of a box.
"Kento, you like see food, don't you?" Cye asked.
"Yeah, why?"
"See food." Cye opened his mouth, showing the chewed chicken.
They started to argue and everyone laughed.
{I'm definitely not telling Cye what my first job was,} Jessie thought.
"What was your first job?" Ryo asked.
Jessie looked at him. "Pardon?"
"You said, 'I'm definitely not telling Cye what my first job was.' What was it?"
"Uh…" Jessie shifted in her chair. "Ryo, I didn't say anything."
"Yes, you did," Ryo said.
"No, she didn't," Mia said.
"Uh-oh."
Everyone looked at them.
"Not again," muttered Sage.
"Is Ryo a mind reader?" Twyla asked.
"Well… kind of." Rowen said.
"Skip over the mind reading," said Cye. "What was your first job, Jessie?"
"I was a, um, seafood clerk," she answered.
"You fish murderer!"
"They were already dead!"
"Did you have lobsters and clams?"
"Okay, they were still alive, but I do feel bad for steaming them!"
"Steaming?" asked Sage.
"It was another way to cook them." Jessie explained.
"Do lobsters scream when they're cooking?" Kento asked.
"Kento," the others groaned.
"They do," said Twyla.
"You had to get your two cents in, didn't you?" Jessie asked. "Don't worry, Cye, I repented. After putting up with fish for over a year and a half, I transferred to the meat department."
"So you killed cows for a living." Kento said.
"No," said Jessie, "I just loaded the case."
After supper, Jessie helped Mia with the dishes.
"So you're not mad if I share Ryo's room?" Jessie asked.
"It's all right," said Mia. "Ryo told me that Kayura said you have to be protected. And Ryo is the leader of the Ronin Warriors."
"He's also your boyfriend," said Jessie. "How long have you two been together?"
"Six years," Mia answered. "We started dating after he was released from Shinora Hospital."
"That's sweet. Don't worry, I have no intention of stealing him away from you. We pick up each other's thoughts. That's scary."
"Not to mention you can see Anubis."
"There's another one," said Jessie. "I can see ghosts."
<I'm a spirit, not a ghost. >
Jessie nearly dropped the pot she was holding. She looked over by the stove and saw Anubis sitting on the counter.
"What's the matter?" Mia asked.
"Anubis is here," said Jessie. "He's on the counter. And he would prefer if I call him a spirit than a ghost."
<Yes, I would, > Anubis said. <A spirit can go from the Spirit Realm to the Mortal Realm whenever they please. A ghost is chained to the Mortal Realm. Only a psychic or medium can release them. >
"Thank you for updating me on the differences."
Mia looked confused. "Should I ask?"
"Spirits can go wherever they want," said Jessie. "A ghost stays in a certain area until they're released by a psychic."
Casey walked in with a stack of plates.
<I'll bother you later, > said Anubis. <I would love to see you try and explain why you're talking to thin air. >
"Ah, go scare a gravedigger." Jessie muttered.
<I tried, It didn't work. > Anubis vanished.
"So Jessie," Casey said. "How was 'Phoenix'? Did you have a good time? Is Sage a great kisser?"
"Great. Yes. We didn't kiss."
"You're telling me that you went to a movie with a guy and you didn't make-out?"
"I went out with your brother to a Hard Core concert and we didn't make-out." Jessie said. "I'm glad nothing happened between him and me, because his girlfriend gave birth to his son last year."
"So he made a mistake," said Casey.
"Try three, Case. I adore those kids, but tell Jeremy to buy better condoms."
"I did. He did. And she's now four months pregnant. I really hope that he marries her soon." Casey left the kitchen.
"Three kids out of wedlock?" Mia asked shocked. "And a fourth on the way?"
"Casey's brother is nice," said Jessie, "but a complete idiot. He thinks with the wrong head."
"I see," said Mia. "Let's change the subject. I see that Sage is sweet on you."
Jessie froze for a moment, then smiled. "He's nice," she said. "And good-looking. I'll admit it, he is gorgeous. Thank God that Casey has sworn blonde men off her list."
"He's single. You're single." Mia said. "Go on."
"I don't know," said Jessie. "I've been chased by Nether Soldiers, I can hear Ryo's thoughts, I've drawn pictures of the Armors six months before I've seen them, and I can see a spirit of a man who has been dead for six years and he's dressed like the monk in my first picture. Why would Sage go out with me?"
"Dayus proposed to Kayura over three hundred years ago," said Mia. "I have no doubt that Sage would ask you."
"We're talking about dating, Mia," said Jessie. "Not marriage. That's another one. I was able to tell that something was going on between them. How often does that happen?"
"I did too, six years ago." Mia said. "And once in a while I have this feeling that they should not be disturbed. And I'm having that feeling right now."
"I can guess," said Jessie. "But I didn't need to know that."
"Dayus, I'm all right," Kayura said. "How many times do I have to tell you, darling?" She was sitting on the bed, watching her husband pace back and forth.
"I don't care how many times you say that you're all right," said Dayus. "It's doing to take a lot to convince me."
A wicked smile crossed over Kayura's lips. She grabbed Dayus' arm, pulled him onto the bed, and kissed him.
"Is this your idea of convincing me?" Dayus asked.
"It's only the beginning," said Kayura, and she trailed kisses over his chest.
A knock interrupted their moment. Kayura moved off of Dayus.
"Don't worry," he said. "You can convince me in a few minutes." Dayus kissed her and walked to the door. He opened it and saw Sekhmet standing on the walkway. "Sekhmet," said Dayus, "I'm a little busy right now."
"Well before you get any busier," said Sekhmet. "There's something important I have to tell you."
"About what?"
"The potion I used on Jessie."
"You didn't put enough on the needle," said Dayus. "Goodnight."
Sekhmet caught the door. "That's the same potion I used on Ryo after the ceremony last year when he was throwing up blood," he said. "And I also used it on Kayura when she blew up her practice room."
Dayus looked at him. "That kept them both out for eight hours."
"Jessie wasn't asleep for even eight minutes," said Sekhmet. "And the only side effect is like a hangover when they woke up. Jessie said that she only felt lightheaded."
"Damn," muttered Dayus. "Thanks for telling me."
"I'll let you get back to your business." Sekhmet grinned evilly.
"When you find a girl," said Dayus. "I'm going to humiliate you until your son is born."
"If I find a girl. If." Sekhmet walked away and Dayus shut the door.
"That was Sekhmet," said Dayus as he walked into the bedroom.
"What did he want?" Kayura asked.
"He said that the potion he used on Jessie is the same kind that he used on Ryo last year and on you, when you had that accident with your latest spell."
Kayura looked at him in surprised. "Is he sure?"
"He is," said Dayus. "But I'm wondering if you had something to do with Jessie waking up so fast."
"All I did was cast the Power Seek Spell," said Kayura. "She's more powerful than I thought."
"It is unnerving." Dayus admitted.
Kayura stood up and walked over to him. Dayus pulled her close and rested his chin on top of her head.
"Where was I before we were interrupted?" Kayura asked, tugging her husband's belt.
"I believe that you were trying to convince me that you're all right." Dayus said.
"Shall I continue from where I left off?"
"Why don't you start from the beginning."
"I really hope that none of my friends walk in here." Jessie said in a low voice to Ryo. "Because if they hear me telling you what Anubis is saying, they're going to think I'm nuts."
<Won't be the first time today, will it? > Anubis asked. He was sitting on the chair in Ryo's room, talking to them - well, to Jessie.
Jessie glared at Anubis and Ryo chuckled to himself. It was quite amusing for him to watch Jessie get angry with someone she could only see.
"The only thing I have to worry about is you walking through walls to spy on my friends," said Jessie. "At least you won't touch anything."
Anubis stood up, walked over to Jessie, and lifted her braid. <You can hear and see me. This also means you can touch me, > he said. <And I can touch whatever I want. > He grabbed the postcard Jessie was writing on.
"Jerk!" Jessie chased him around the room, avoiding White Blaze and the chair, while Anubis went through them.
Finally, Anubis dropped the postcard next to Ryo, who was laughing.
<I was just kidding. > Anubis said.
Ryo picked up the postcard to give to Jessie, and read the short message:
Hi! Guess what? I'm not in Chicago.
I'M IN JAPAN! Sorry I lied.
This is a once in a lifetime opportunity.
Mom, don't be mad at Gail.
I'll send you a copy of my grades.
I love you.
~Jessie

Below her name was a post office box address.
Ryo looked at Jessie. "You told your parents that you were going to Chicago instead of Japan?" he asked surprised.
"Yes, I did." Jessie said coolly.
<Why did you lie? > Anubis asked.
"None of your business." Jessie snatched the postcard out of Ryo's hand and set it on her night table.
Ryo stood up, walked over to Jessie, and sat next to her on her bed. "Level with me would you?" he asked. "I told you about my family last night, or should I say this morning? Tell me about yours."
Jessie looked at Ryo and then at Anubis.
<I'll leave if you want me to, > he said.
"No, stay," said Jessie. "You'd hear it eventually." She sighed. "Last year I would've been in China, if my parents had let me. I had enough of my own money to pay for the trip, they still wouldn't let me go. So when the next trip was planned for Japan, I decided to go, even if I had to deceive them. I called my Aunt Gail in Chicago and she said she'd help me."
"Your mom's sister?" Ryo asked.
"She's my mom's best friend and my brother Hank's Godmother." Jessie explained. "We always called her 'Aunt' because she's like family." She picked up the postcard. "They'll know I'm here when they get this. I just hope that they don't come to Japan."
"You'd think they'd actually do that?" Ryo asked.
"Yes."
<But you're twenty-two, > said Anubis.
"And I'll be twenty-three in February," said Jessie. To my parents, that's in months, not years."
"Damn," said Ryo. "Your parents are over-over-protective."
<They bring new meaning to the word 'strict'. >
"'Strict' is not the word, Anubis." Jessie said. "I always considered my home Alcatraz and I'm an inmate. I had to break free and run for the border. What better place than the Land of the Rising Sun."
Ryo smiled and rubbed the center of his chest. He stood up, walked over to the balcony door and opened it. "Is it just me, or is it a little warm in here?" Ryo asked, sitting on his bed.
"It's warm," said Jessie. "You okay? Do you have heartburn?"
"I'm fine," he said, still rubbing his chest. Not now. Not now.
White Blaze growled and Jessie saw the worried look on Anubis' face.
"I think I better call Kayura." Ryo reached into his night table and pulled out a small crystal orb. He tried to stand up, but he fell to the floor and dropped the orb. It rolled out the balcony door and fell into the darkness of night.
Jessie rushed to Ryo's side and helped him to sit up and rest against his bed.
<Jessie, stay with him. > Anubis said. <I'll get Kayura. > He vanished.
It didn't take Kayura too long to convince Dayus that she was all right, and now the couple was forgetting the past in their passion.
In the other room, the rings on the Staff began to clang. Dayus growled and cast a dirty look towards the next room.
"Just the sound to curb your lust," Kayura laughed.
"His timing is impeccable." Dayus said sarcastically.
"Let me see what he wants."
"Five more minutes." Dayus nuzzled her neck.
"From the sound of the rings," said Kayura. "It has to be important."
Dayus sighed and moved off of Kayura. He watched her stand up and put her kimono on.
"I'm not leaving this bed unless it is important," Dayus called after her.
Kayura dashed back into the bedroom. "Get Cale and Sekhmet," she said. "There's something wrong with Ryo."
Dayus quickly jumped out of bed, put on his hakama, and sprinted towards his two friends' bedrooms.
<They'll be here shortly, > Anubis said.
"What about the others?" Jessie asked. "We should get them."
"No," said Ryo. "They…they don't know…about my…my problem."
"They don't?" Jessie didn't receive an answer, for a Gate opened in the middle of the room. Cale and Sekhmet ran in.
"How you feeling, Ryo?" Cale asked.
"My chest is burning." Ryo answered.
"Don't worry," said Sekhmet. "You won't be feeling anything in a few moments." He stuck a needle into Ryo's arm and his head dropped. "He'll be out for a short time." Sekhmet said.
"It'll be long enough," said Cale. He picked Ryo up and ran through the Gate.
"Coming?" Sekhmet asked Jessie. She ran into the Dynasty as did White Blaze.
Jessie was falling behind, despite that she was running as fast as she could. White Blaze stopped in front of Jessie, causing her to halt.
"What?" she asked the tiger.
<Ride him, > said Anubis. <Like a horse. You'll catch up to them. >
"Ride? I don't think so."
White Blaze growled at her.
"Okay. All right." Jessie sat on White Blaze's back and he ran after the Warlords.
Jessie was debating whether she should loosen her grip on White Blaze's fur, fearing that she was holding to tight, but also fearing that she might fall off.
"Why don't the other Ronins know about Ryo?" Jessie asked Anubis, who was floating next to her.
<Because each of them doesn't trust one certain Warlord, > he explained. <Cye, Sekhmet. Sage, Cale. Kento, Dayus. Rowen, Kayura. They all have forgiven me. Ryo, Mia, and Yuli are the only ones that have forgiven the other Warlords. >
"That doesn't make any sense. You were a Warlord."
<I know, > said Anubis. <My past is as dark as theirs. I know that nothing can change it, but I wish… >
"That the Ronins forgive and forget the Warlords' past as they have yours." Jessie finished.
Anubis nodded. <Ryo wants to tell them, but he's afraid that they'll accuse the Warlords. He's been going through this for six years. You could call this a form of purification. When Ryo let Talpa absorb him, his soul of Virtue prevented Talpa from moving. But after the last battle, we discovered that some of Talpa's evil was still apart of Ryo's soul. Ever since then, Ryo goes through this purification. >
"Because the evil will overwhelm him," said Jessie.
<Right, > said Anubis. <They're not just fighting to save his life. They're fighting to save his soul. >
They arrived at a room and Jessie dismounted. She watched as Cale set Ryo down in the center of a nine-pointed star, inside a circle, drawn on the floor.
"I hope this isn't Ryo's favorite shirt," said Dayus, as he cut Ryo's shirt with a dagger.
"If he was awake at this moment," said Cale. "I don't think he would care."
"How much did you give him, Sekhmet?" Kayura asked.
"Not too much," he said.
"Get back," said Kayura. "I have to start this now." She held the needle above Ryo's chest.
"But the ropes," said Dayus.
"There's no time for that! Go!"
They moved over to the wall. Jessie stood by the door with Anubis and White Blaze.
Suddenly Ryo screamed and his body convulsed. He hit Kayura and she fell backwards. Dayus, Cale, and Sekhmet rushed over to them and held Ryo down.
"Are you okay, Kayura?" Dayus asked.
"Yes," she answered. "Damn it! The needle is broken! I have to get anther one!" She stood up and ran to the door. Kayura looked at Jessie and noticed that she was rubbing the middle of her chest. "What's wrong?" Kayura asked.
"I don't know," said Jessie. "It feels like someone stuck a hot needle through my chest. It burns."
Kayura looked at Ryo, then back to Jessie. "Get in the circle with Ryo," said Kayura. "Do it!" She ran out of the room.
Jessie walked over to Ryo and the Warlords. She took Ryo's hand and he stopped moving.
"What the hell did you do?" asked Cale.
"I don't know." Jessie replied, kneeling down.
Ryo opened his eyes and looked at her. "It's bad enough you hear my thoughts," he said weakly. "You shouldn't have to feel my pain too."
{Nothing comes without a price,} Jessie thought.
"That's not true." Ryo said.
"Here they go again," said Dayus.
"Jessie, what's wrong?" Sekhmet asked.
"My chest is burning," she answered.
"Not you too," said Cale.
Kayura ran into the room. Seeing her, the male trio moved away from Ryo and Jessie.
"Jessie, hold onto his arms." Kayura instructed. "Don't let go of him, no matter what."
{The blindfold,} Ryo thought.
"What blindfold?" Jessie asked.
"Forget the blindfold!" Kayura said. She started to chant and pushed the needle into Ryo's chest.
Ryo squeezed Jessie's hands and Jessie was trying hard not to scream. Kayura spread Ryo's blood into the nine-pointed star. She moved away, still chanting. Ryo screamed and tears ran down Jessie's face. Ryo stopped and fell into unconsciousness. Jessie opened her eyes. She brushed away Ryo's damp hair from his forehead with her hand.
Like twins, they feel each other's pain, Anubis thought.
The Warlords walked over to Jessie and Ryo.
"There is no need to move him," Jessie said in a toneless voice. "He will awaken soon."
"Jessie, are you all right?" Kayura asked.
Jessie blinked and looked at her. "What?"
"Are you okay?"
"Yeah, I think so."
"Jessie, your shirt!" said Cale.
She looked down and noticed that blood was on her shirt and it seemed to go in a pattern. Jessie pulled the neckline, looked down, and gasped.
<What is it? > Anubis asked.
Jessie pulled her shirt down a little, just enough for the others to see a curve and six lines, two from three equally spaced points, in her blood.
"A nine-pointed star inside a circle?" Kayura asked.
Jessie nodded slowly. The blood on her chest and shirt faded away as did Ryo's. Jessie let go of the neckline.
"I know that I'm involved in this somehow," she said. "But I don't want to get in any deeper."
Kayura knelt next to her and put her arm around Jessie's shoulders. I'm afraid, Jessie, Kayura thought, that you're in this deeper than you may realize.

Thank you Pearl for helping me with the nicknames.