Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ Warrior Call ❯ Déjà Vu ( Chapter 18 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Ronin Warriors
Warrior Call
By Janime
Part Eighteen - Déjà Vu
**********
Jessie swallowed hard as she stared at the Nether Moat. Slowly, she moved away from it until her back was against the wall; unfortunately there wasn't that much space.
Anything beats being in that! Jessie reminded herself. She knew how powerful the Nether Moats were - from Ryo's memory and the Warlords tales.
Jessie looked around, trying to find an exit, and her hope sank as she just looked at solid rock walls.
Teleportation, Jessie thought, standing up. But there has to be another way out.
The Moat started to bubble more and Jessie looked at it with fright. Sticky tendrils shot out and clung to Jessie, dragging her towards the Moat. She fought back but to no avail. The tendrils dragged Jessie into the Moat, completely submerging her under. She bobbed back to the surface and screamed from the agonizing pain.
"It doesn't make any sense!" said Twyla. "The Nether Realm wanted Jessie for her power. Now they're using her for ransom!"
"Oh, they still want Jessie," Kayura said.
"But why the trade offer?" Casey asked.
"Think of our situation like a puzzle," said Rowen, "Jessie's the main piece, but the Nether Realm still wants the nine Armors, the Staff, and the Jewel of Life."
"As long as we still have them," said Kento, "we're in the lead."
"Of one really sick game," Gwen said.
"Ancients forbid if the Nether Realm manages to control Jessie for their own use," Kayura said. "The nine of us can fight back… but we might have to face the possibility of-"
"You can't kill her!" Joana cried.
"Joana it won't come down to that," said Cye. At least I hope not, he thought.
"We have to find her fast," Ryo said and frowned a little.
"What's wrong?" asked Sage.
"I don't know. Just a bad feeling."
"You're still connected to her, Ryo," said Kayura. "It should be stronger now that you've split your life force with her. Try to contact Jessie."
Ryo nodded and closed his eyes, reaching his mind out to Jessie. The pain that seared through his mind made him scream. Ryo's hands flew to his head as he fell to his knees. Rowen and Twyla ran to him.
"Jessie!" Ryo hissed.
"Where is she?" Twyla asked.
"Nether…Moat…"
Sekhmet, Cale, and Dayus all flinched, remembering of when they were once in the Nether Moat.
{Jessie!} Ryo sent to her. {Take Wildfire!}
{No, Ryo!} Jessie responded. {It'll kill you!}
{TAKE IT!} Ryo's kanji glowed and his sub-armor disappeared, leaving him in his samurai outfit. Through the link, Ryo saw Jessie summon Wildfire. But even with the Armor, she couldn't escape.
"It's not…enough…" Ryo gasped. "She needs…Inferno…"
Twyla and Rowen leaned Ryo against the wall. White Blaze took Rowen's spot as the archer went over to the other Ronins. "We've got to send her our powers," Rowen said.
"No," said Kayura, "we'll send her ours."
"What difference does it make?" Sage asked.
"Your powers have been used many times to make Inferno and Ryo is used to it, Jessie isn't." Kayura pointed to the other Warlords. "Theirs has been only used once. If you send Jessie your powers, it'll be too much for her. It could destroy her and we'll lose Jessie forever."
"There's no difference between the powers," Ryo said weakly, "but she's right." He looked at the Warlords. "Send yours."
The four nodded and closed their eyes. "Loyalty."
"Piety."
"Obedience."
"Serenity."
Glowing light surrounded the Warlords, which shot away from them and through the wall.
I won't give up! Jessie thought, fighting against the evil power of the Nether Moat. I won't let Kuriyami win! What the…?!
Four different colored streams of light came through the wall and hit Jessie, becoming apart of Wildfire - becoming apart of her.
Jessie felt the urge to send Wildfire away and she did. In front of her was another Armor, all white.
Inferno! Jessie thought as the Armor turned into white energy streamers. They flew around Jessie and the sub-armor changed color to dark navy-blue. The arm guards appeared, then a blast of flames brought the body armor and the helmet, and the leg guards appeared shortly after.
The burning feeling of the Inferno Armor was almost comforting, and Jessie felt a stronger connection to Ryo. And to someone else - maybe more than one.
Jessie started walking out of the Nether Moat. Wearing Inferno blocked the pain but not the feeling of evil. The tendrils wrapped around Jessie, trying to keep her in the Moat.
{Jessie!} Ryo's voice sounded clearer in her mind, as if he was standing right beside her. {Rage of Inferno! Say it!}
"RAGE OF INFERNO!" Jessie raise her hands up and the power of the white Armor combined with hers exploded, shaking the ground all the way to where the group was.
"Was that an earthquake?" asked Gwen.
"Nope," said Kento, "it definitely was not."
"Inferno," Ryo smiled. {You all right, Jess?}
{Whoa,} Jessie staggered a little and looked around. {Would you believe me if I told you that the Nether Moat is gone?}
{Yes, I would.}
{Well done, Jessie,} a new voice came into her mind.
{Kayura?} she asked.
{Don't forget us,} three more piped up.
{Not you guys!}
{Well,} sent Dayus, {if that's the way you feel about us then-}
{No, no, no!} Jessie quickly redeemed. {It's just that I have to listen to Ryo's mind, now I have to listen to all five of you?}
{I think it's only temporary, Jessie,} Kayura sent, {until you release our Armors' powers.}
{Well, I'm not letting go until I'm back with you guys.} Jessie looked around. {Kuriyami teleported me here; there aren't any tunnels.}
{What about your Tracking?} Sekhmet asked.
{I'll give it a shot.} Jessie closed her eyes and focused. Opening her eyes, she walked over to a section of the wall where it formed into a corner. She was about to melt the area with Inferno when she felt something.
{Will you three quit snooping around in my brain!} Jessie yelled at the male Warlords.
Ryo and Kayura burst out into laughter from the looks on the trio's faces.
"What happened?" Casey asked.
"I didn't think she would notice," Cale said.
{Gee,} Jessie sent, {whose mind are you running around in? Of course I know what you're doing in here!}
{We're just looking for a certain piece of information, Jess,} Sekhmet said casually.
{Don't even think about it,} Jessie warned. {And get that grin off your face, Sekhmet.}
The Warlord blinked in surprise and his smile quickly vanished. "How did she do that?"
"I can think of a reason," Ryo laughed.
Jessie raised her hand and the Inferno Armor glowed, melting the wall and revealed a tunnel. Smiling, Jessie walked through. She used her Tracking and Inferno to locate her friends. Soon, Jessie was one wall away from them.
{If you three gentlemen wouldn't mind moving back,} Jessie sent to them.
{Go ahead,} Cale told her when they moved.
The wall melted and Jessie stepped into the room. She released the Warlords powers and sent Wildfire down to the sub-armor. Kneeling beside Ryo, Jessie took his hands and both closed their eyes. Ryo's kanji glowed and the sub-armor appeared on him, leaving Jessie in her clothes.
"I think Wildfire looks better on you than it did on me," Jessie said as they stood.
"Just do me one small favor," Ryo said, "please put your jacket on."
Jessie smiled and did as he suggested. She zipped her jacket all the way, covering the blood on her shirt. There was a little blood on the jacket sleeves, but that didn't bother anyone as much as the shirt did.
"Now can we go home?" Casey asked.
"If we can find an exit," said Twyla.
"There is none," Kuriyami said as he appeared in the room, "and there won't be unless I make it so."
White Blaze growled and everyone stood in defense.
"You don't know when to quit, do you?" Jessie asked, even though she knew how persistent the Nether Realm buggers were.
As an answer, Kuriyami threw an energy wave at them. Jessie held her arms up, feeling the wave push against her, but she remained on her feet. The wave passed and Jessie looked at Kuriyami. "I think you better work on it," she said.
"Care to take a second look?" he asked with a laugh.
Only then did Jessie notice that Ryo was no longer beside her. Looking behind, Jessie gasped as she saw her friends sprawled on the ground, groaning as they struggled to get up.
"Your power is growing," said Kuriyami, "you can't deny it. The Nether Moat and the Inferno Armor have awakened more of it. Now do you understand? Join us, Dragon Child, and your power will increase tenfold."
But Jessie wasn't listening to him. The anger that she held inside all this time cried out for release.
"That - is - IT!" Jessie glared at Kuriyami, walking towards him and stopped halfway between him and her friends. "You've been chasing me ever since I got here, attacked my friends, kidnapped them, had us running around in this rat maze, put the Ronins in crystals, killed my friends, killed me, threw me into a Nether Moat, and you still have the balls to say join you?!"
Everyone's eyes grew wide as a golden glow surrounded Jessie.
"I am tired of playing this sick game!" she shouted.
"Uh, Ryo…" Cye called softly.
Ryo looked at his friends with a fake smile; he forced a small laugh and said, "Duck."
And they pressed themselves to the ground, throwing their arms - and paws - over their heads.
"KURIYAMI!" Jessie screamed and the room was engulfed with her power.
Ryo stayed down. He could feel the intense strength of Jessie's power. It scared him to think that someone could hold this kind of power inside all of their life.
The power flow stopped and everyone cautiously raised their heads. Kuriyami was gone again - either perished or escaped, they didn't know nor at that point cared.
"Jessie?" Sage rose to his feet and stepped towards her.
She turned to face him, looking very pale and if she was about to fall asleep. Jessie fell to her knees and Sage ran to her, pulling her close.
"Sage," Jessie smiled at him and closed her eyes.
Kayura walked over to them and put her hands on Jessie's head. "She'll be all right," said Kayura. "She's just exhausted from using such a great amount of power without being used to it. All she needs is some rest and she'll be fine."
Well, the sooner we get out of here, Casey thought, the sooner Jessie can crash on her bed. She rubbed her arms, feeling a slight chill go through the room - not like the chills that the Nether Realm gave. Casey looked up; her eyes grew big and her mouth fell open. She grabbed Cale's cape and tugged.
"What?" Cale looked at Casey and she pointed to the ceiling. He looked up. "Could everyone focus their attention above us and tell me that I'm seeing correctly."
The rest of the group looked up. "Holy…" said Kento.
"Moly…" said Gwen.
Above was a very large opening, the same size of the room, extending all the way up, and they could see the night sky and stars very clearly. Everyone turned their shocked gazes to Jessie, still asleep in Sage's arms.
"You know," Joana spoke, "my dad always said that he would hate to see what would happen if Jessie ever got pissed off."
"And us without a camera," Twyla said.
Ryo looked at the upward tunnel, judging the diameter. "I think we can get out of here," he said. "We can zigzag jump, but we'll have to carry you."
Gwen raised an eyebrow. "Carry us?"
"Yeah, piggyback," Sage answered. Holding Jessie's hands, Sage carefully moved until she was behind him, and gently pulled her forward, pressing against his back. "Ryo," Sage called.
The Ronin leader helped the Halo warrior to stand. Sage reached behind and hooked his hands under Jessie's knees.
"Dayus, would you please?" Ryo asked.
"Sure," Dayus walked over and lightly bounded Jessie's wrists and ankles. It's a good thing that she's not awake, he thought, or she'd definitely be having a fit. "All set."
"Okay," said Ryo, "Dayus, Sekhmet, you two go first. Sage, go with them. Rowen, you and Twyla go next."
"Right," said Sekhmet and he jumped, zigzagging across the opening.
Dayus went next and Sage followed. With Twyla on his back, Rowen jumped after them.
"White Blaze," Ryo said and the tiger leapt. Cye and Joana went after him; Kento and Gwen followed not too far behind.
"Let's go, Casey," said Ryo. I know that you would rather be holding onto someone else, he thought as Casey clasped her hands in front of his neck, and he jumped.
"Go, Cale," said Kayura. He looked at her, nodded, and jumped. Kayura looked down the tunnel briefly, then looked up and jumped. About halfway up, Kayura felt a chill and knew that the Nether Soldiers were coming.
Sorry, boys, Kayura thought, you can't follow us home today. She made the Staff disappear and summoned the kama-giri. Kayura jumped out of the cave. Turning to face the opening, Kayura spun the spiked end.
"QUAKE WITH FEAR!" Kayura sent the spiked end into the rim of the cave's opening. The chain ran through the stone and the walls collapsed, sealing the exit.
Kayura sent away the kama-giri and her Armor, letting herself fall and landed in Dayus' arms. She looked at her husband, also in sub-armor. "Feel better?" Kayura smiled.
"Oh yes," Dayus grinned.
"Keep it in your bedroom!" Kento said.
"Come on," said Ryo, "let's go."
And they ran back to Mia's house, piecing together how best it would be to explain their long absence.
Mia stared at the kimono in her hands. She ran from room to room, quickly searching the entire house, which only proved fruitless.
Jessie, why did you go? Mia thought. I know that they're your friends, but… Mia sank to the couch and sighed.
"She's like Ryo," Yuli said as he sat next to Mia. "Jessie would do anything for her friends."
"They're almost like twins," Mia agreed. She stood up and walked over to the fireplace. Mia pressed the lower right-hand corner of the painting that hung above and swung it open on well hidden hinges.
Behind the painting was a safe built into the wall. Mia turned the combination lock and opened the safe. She took out a small brown wooden box, closed the safe, and set the painting back into place.
Mia brought the box over to the coffee table. Lifting the lid, she took out the Jewel of Life, and placed it around Yuli's neck. "A little extra protection wouldn't hurt," Mia smiled.
Yuli smiled as he touched the red bauble. They played checkers, a few card games, finally settling on watching the TV.
Mia looked at the clock and sighed; they had been gone for half an hour. Mia was ready to change and go look for them, but she couldn't leave Yuli alone.
She wouldn't have to; the back door opened and they heard familiar voices.
"Get her on the couch," Ryo was saying as they entered the living room.
"What happened?!" Mia exclaimed, looking at an unconscious Jessie being carried by Sage.
"A lot," said Gwen.
"Mia, why are you wearing your kimono again?" Twyla asked.
"Again?" Mia blinked.
Cye used his knife to cut Jessie's hands and ankles free. Ryo took Jessie from Sage and laid her on the couch. Sage unzipped her jacket and took it off.
"Is she all right?!" Yuli stared at the blood.
"She's alive, Yuli," Ryo said. "She's just tired."
"What happened?" Mia repeated her earlier question.
"You'll be amazed," Joana said, and told her housebound friend of the events that took place.
Mia stared at Joana with a shocked, perplexed look. "And when did this happen?"
"While we were gone," Casey said.
"But you've only been gone for half an hour!"
"WHAT?!" everyone gaped at Mia.
"You're saying that it's still the night of the Shogun Celebration?" asked Rowen.
"Yes!" Mia said.
"But it felt like two weeks," said Twyla.
"Time had a different meaning there," said Kayura. "That explains why we weren't hungry."
If this is the Chronicles of Narnia, Joana thought, I would love to see Aslan.
White Blaze was looking out the window and growled. Ryo walked next to the tiger and cautiously looked outside. His expression hardened and he ran out the back. The other eight Armor wearers followed him.
"You've lost, Kuriyami!" Ryo shouted.
"I haven't lost yet, Wildfire," Kuriyami said from the other side of the lawn. "The game has only just begun. The Dragon Child is the trophy-"
"Don't even think about getting near her!" hissed Sage.
Kuriyami tilted his head. "Oh really, Halo? If you are certain that you'll obtain victory," he held out his hand and a glowing ball appeared, "why don't we just settle it then? Follow this if you decide to. I'll be waiting." Kuriyami vanished, leaving the orb behind.
"Well?" asked Sekhmet.
"We're going," Ryo said and turned to walk inside, "but first things first." The others followed him back to the living room.
"Why did Kuriyami leave us a lawn ornament?" Casey asked.
"He wants us to follow him," Sage answered. He walked over to Jessie and took her hand.
"Are you?" Mia asked.
Ryo nodded. "White Blaze will stay here with you." He looked at the tiger. "Don't let Jessie out of your sight." The white beast growled his answer.
Sage leaned over and kissed Jessie's forehead. "It'll be over soon," he whispered.
"Be careful," Joana squeezed Cye's hand. He smiled, and then kissed her.
"Never knew you had it in you, Torrent," Sekhmet grinned.
"Shove it, Snake-eyes," countered Cye.
"Why don't you save the fighting for Kuriyami?" Rowen suggested, and smiled at Twyla. She returned the smile and hugged him.
"Will you cook me dinner?" Kento asked sheepishly.
"Of course I will," Gwen laughed a little.
"Good luck, Ryo," Mia said.
"We'll be back," he said and looked at Yuli. "You behave yourself."
"Don't worry," said Yuli, "I'll be a gentlemen."
"Good," said Cale. "Because if you give them a hard time, you'll regret it."
"Come on," Ryo said, "let's go."
The Ronins and Warlords left the house and looked at the sphere. It started to move quickly to the northeast, and they ran after it. Mia, Casey, Joana, Gwen, Twyla, and Yuli watched the nine warriors disappear into the shadows of the snowy night.
"They still haven't torn this building down yet," Cye shook his head.
"We can always help with the demolition," Kento commented.
Ryo carefully scanned the parking lot. The ball had led the nine here and vanished, leaving them on an unknown battlefield with their guard up to maximum.
"All right, Kuriyami!" Sekhmet called. "You led us here! So stop playing hide-and-seek!"
"I will do as I wish," Kuriyami's voice echoed around them, "since this is the next part of the game."
Nether Soldiers burst from the asphalt, surrounding the Ronins and Warlords.
"Armor up!" Ryo shouted. They called for their Armors and charged into battle.
Mia placed the damp washcloth on Jessie's forehead. The unconscious girl's eyes tightened and she turned her head a little towards the back of the couch. Mia frowned.
"What's wrong, Mia?" Casey asked, fixing her sweater as she entered the living room.
"I'm just wondering what's going on inside Jessie's mind," said Mia.
"After what she went through," Casey sat on the other couch, "I'd be very afraid to know."
"Form what you've told me, so would I." Mia looked at her. "Where are the others?"
"Upstairs, changed, and they're talking to Michael."
"Do you think he can help?"
"I hope so."
Twyla, Gwen, and Joana entered. "We talked to Michael," said Gwen
"But?" Casey looked at her.
"We have to rely on our own judgment of this situation," Twyla said.
"So he's not helping us," Mia summed up.
"Nope," said Joana.
Casey sighed and leaned back. "He is really starting to tick me off," she said.
Silence fell upon them; only White Blaze's purrs broke the frustrating quietness.
Yuli walked into the room, carrying a tray with glasses and a pitcher of orange juice. He set it on the table, poured the juice into each glass, and handed them to the five women.
"Thanks, Yuli," Twyla nodded at him and sipped the juice.
"No!" Jessie screamed as she bolted upright, making everyone jump; Casey spilled her orange juice on her lap.
"Sis!" Joana ran to her. "It's okay. We're home."
Jessie looked around the room. "Where are they?"
"Who?" Casey asked.
"The Ronins, you nitwit!"
"Jess, relax," said Gwen. "They went to go fight Kuriyami."
"How long ago?"
"What?"
"How long!" Jessie yelled.
"About twenty minutes," Twyla said.
Jessie stood up and walked over to the window. She stared out into the dark of night for the longest time. Jessie closed her eyes. "They shouldn't have gone," she whispered.
"What did you say, Jessie?" Mia asked.
Jessie opened her eyes and looked at her reflection in the glass. "I'm going after them," she said, turning towards the doorway.
"Oh no, you don't!" Joana said, as she and all but Yuli and White Blaze grabbed Jessie.
"Don't even think about!" warned Casey.
"Let go of me, damn it!" Jessie hissed, trying to pull away from them.
"They can handle whatever Kuriyami throws at them," said Twyla. "It's not like they're not used to the Nether Realm's bombardments."
"You're just being paranoid," said Mia, "it's understandable."
"None of you understand!" Jessie shouted. "It's-" she stopped as she looked at Yuli and the Jewel of Life hanging around his neck.
"Calm down, Jessie," said Gwen. "There's nothing any of us can do. They'll be okay."
"I guess you're right," Jessie sighed, the tension leaving her and her friends let her go.
"Why don't you rest in the guest room down here?" Mia suggested.
Jessie nodded. "I'll do that." She looked down at her bloody shirt. "Could someone please get me another shirt and throw this one out?"
"I'll get it," Joana volunteered and disappeared up the stairs.
Jessie walked into the downstairs guest room with White Blaze following her, and shut the door. She sat on the edge of the bed and took her shirt off. She stared at the blood, and then touched the scar on her chest.
This isn't over yet, Kuriyami, Jessie thought. Just you wait.
A knock interrupted her thoughts. "Jessie," Joana said through the wood, "I have your shirt." She opened the door a little and held out the clean item.
Jessie stood up, took the shirt, and handed Joana the stained one.
"Yech," Joana gagged.
"Sorry, I know how disgusting it is," Jessie said. "Could you have Yuli bring me a glass of orange juice?"
"No problem," Joana said.
Jessie listened to the fading footsteps, put on the clean shirt, and lay down on the bed. Another knock came on the door, and Yuli stepped inside. "Here you go, Jess," Yuli smiled.
"Thanks," Jessie sat up and took the glass. "Yuli, please stay. I have to talk to you."
"Okay…" the young boy sat next to her.
Jessie quickly drank the juice and looked at him. "They're in trouble, Yuli. I have to go help them. I know how much you care about them and-"
"You're asking for the Jewel of Life," Yuli said. Jessie nodded and he smiled. "I'm not that stupid."
"I never said you were."
"All you had to do was ask." Yuli took the Jewel of Life from his neck and placed it around Jessie's. "I believe in you."
"Thanks, Yuli," Jessie hugged him. Then she stood up, walked over to the window and opened it, climbing outside into the snow. "Come on, White Blaze."
The tiger climbed outside and stood beside her. Yuli walked over to the window and looked at both of them. Ignoring the cold, Jessie placed her hands over the Jewel of Life.
"Ancient One," she whispered, "you told me in my dream that the Circle shall be complete. I believe that it is nearing completion and I am apart of the Circle, as are my friends. I will help protect this world as you and your Clan has done for centuries. I will fight beside the Chosen Nine. Use me as you see fit."
The Jewel of Life began to glow, enveloping Jessie in light. For a few moments, Yuli couldn't see her, and when the light faded, Jessie was standing in a very dark ninja outfit with a sword across her back.
"Jessie…" Yuli said.
She turned around and smiled at him. "Don't worry, Yuli. I promise I'll bring them back." Jessie reached behind her neck and pulled the mask over her head, just her eyes visible. She sat on White Blaze's back and they took off into the night.
Yuli watched them leave and closed the window. "I am a dead man," he said quietly and went back to the living room.
Sage cut down the last of the Nether Soldiers. He looked at the rest of the group and saw the frustration in their eyes he knew that he had in his own.
"Kuriyami!" Rowen called mockingly. "Come out, come out, wherever you are!"
"All in due time, Strata," Kuriyami answered.
"What's the matter, Kuriyami?" Cale looked around. "Afraid that you'll lose to us?"
"Losing to you years ago would have been somewhat of an honor," Kuriyami finally appeared, "but losing to you now would be a very great insult."
"Mourn your pride," Dayus took the scythes off his back, "at your funeral!" The blades shot toward Kuriyami, and the demon jumped.
Cye and Kento were already after him. Kuriyami blocked their weapons and knocked the two Ronins away. Cale attacked next with Ryo, but Kuriyami escaped.
Sage waited until he landed on the ground to strike. Kuriyami reacted quick, blocking the Halo Sword with his own.
"Two fighters who desire the Dragon Child battling each other," Kuriyami said.
"For different reasons!" Sage hissed through clenched teeth.
"Tell me, Halo, were you jealous that the Dragon Child died in Wildfire's arms instead of yours?"
"Bastard!" Sage attempted to hit Kuriyami's side; instead he was knocked to the ground.
Kuriyami was posed to strike the Ronin, but he turned and blocked a sword that almost impaled him from behind. Everyone watched Kuriyami fight the newcomer - a ninja. White Blaze appeared next to Ryo.
"What are you doing here?!" Ryo yelled at the tiger. "I told you to watch-" he stopped and looked at the ninja. No way… Ryo thought.
Kuriyami jumped back from the ninja and laughed a little. "I knew that you couldn't stay away from here," he said.
"Damn right, I couldn't," the ninja said and pulled off the mask.
"Jessie?!" the nine Armor wearers looked at her in shock.
"I hope that you weren't going to have a lot of fun without me," Jessie said, not taking her eyes off Kuriyami.
"The party wouldn't have been the same without you," Kuriyami tilted his head. "Now how did you come across such a marvelous outfit?" he asked and paused momentarily. "Oh yes, the Jewel of Life. I see that the old monk still has some influence with it. He must have used up the last of his withering powers if this was the best that he could do."
Kayura growled, gripping the Staff tighter in her hands. Dayus touched her arm; the gesture telling his wife not to do anything impulsive.
"And now the pieces have fallen into place," said Kuriyami, "the Armors, the Jewel of Life, the Ancient Staff, and the Dragon Child. The game is over, and I am the victor."
"Very confident, aren't you," said Sekhmet.
"Confidence is a mortal trait," Kuriyami raised his hand. "I, however, know that I have won." A swirling cloud appeared as he started to chant; the Ronins and Warlords cried out in pain.
"No!" Jessie looked at them, not knowing what to do.
"Mystic Armor from the Dawn of Time," Kuriyami said, "whole you were divided into nine."
"Stop it!" Jessie screamed.
"Leave these mortals even if they be damned," Kuriyami went on, "and join once again. Do as I command!"
The Armors left the Ronins and Warlords, and they fell to the ground unconscious. White Blaze heroically jumped at Kuriyami, but was knocked away by a strong energy force.
"White Blaze!" Jessie shouted. Her attention went back to Kuriyami, and she watched the nine spheres circle around each other, creating a whirlwind.
It subsided and Jessie's eyes widened at what remained - the Mystic Armor.
Kuriyami had combined all nine Armors as one.
"Surprised?" Kuriyami laughed. "You're wondering how I was able to combine them - I can see it on your face, so I will tell you. As a disciple of Talpa and Badamon, I learned many things. If ever need be, I was instructed how to call the Armors away if the wearers fought against the Nether Realm."
"Then why were you chasing us?" Jessie demanded. "Why didn't you just take the Armors instead of dragging everything out like you did?"
"You, Dragon Child, you. I could have captured you at any time I had the chance, but I would still have to wait for your power to manifest. The time manipulation spell that I had used while you were trapped in the caves aided your power's development. Much to my shame, I will admit that I had underestimated the Warlords' teachings. They had done well training you and your friends."
"Sometimes the surprise is a lot bigger than the package it comes in," Jessie said.
"Oh, very true," said Kuriyami. "Just looking at you proves the truth in your statement." He straightened and looked at her. "And now to collect the rest of my prize."
Jessie felt her blood run cold as dread swept through her. She put her hand on her chest, feeling the Jewel of Life through the tunic. It was pulsating small energy waves that matched her rapid heartbeats.
Quickly, Jessie ran over to Kayura and picked up the Staff. She faced Kuriyami, placing herself between him and her friends.
Kuriyami shook his head. "Honestly," he said as if scolding a child, "you're just making this too easy." He swung his whip at her and divided into a dozen ropes, wrapping tightly around Jessie's torso, arms, and legs.
Jessie fought back, desperately trying to break free as Kuriyami pulled her closer to him. She would be taken back to the Nether Realm with the Mystic Armor, the Ancient Staff, and the Jewel of Life. All the Ronins' and Warlords' efforts were done in vain.
No. No, it couldn't end this way. The Ancients would never let this world fall to evil.
Jessie gripped the Staff tighter. Maybe, just maybe she could use the Staff and the Jewel of Life…
Help me, please! Jessie beseeched silently. I beg of you, don't let Kuriyami win! I don't care what you do! PLEASE HELP ME!
Suddenly the Staff began to glow very brightly. Kuriyami's whip disintegrated and both watched the Staff float from Jessie's hands high above them, becoming as bright as the sun at noon. A beam of light shot out and hit the Mystic Armor; a second beam struck Jessie, making her scream.
The Mystic Armor turned into a gray-colored energy sphere and flew to Jessie. The dark sub-armor appeared on her body, and the rest of the Armor followed. Jessie held her hands up; the helmet appeared and she placed it on her head.
The Ancient Staff floated down in front of Jessie. She grabbed it up at the top between the two sets of rings, and the pole turned into a blade - the Ancient Staff had become the Ancient Sword.
"Fight me now, Kuriyami," Jessie said. "Even if I kill you, at least you died at the hand of someone who wore the Mystic Armor. That should be enough to save some of your honor."
"It might," he pulled out his sword. "Shall we then?" Kuriyami charged at her.
White Blaze blinked his eyes open and looked at Kuriyami fighting Jessie. The tiger shakily rose to his paws, walked over to Ryo and lightly nudged the Ronin leader's head. Ryo groaned and slowly started to wake up; White Blaze moved on and woke the others.
"Everybody all right?" Ryo asked, rubbing his eyes as he sat up.
"I think so," Sekhmet answered groggily. He looked up and gasped. Everyone followed his line of vision.
"What the…!" exclaimed Kento.
Jessie knocked Kuriyami's sword from his hand; it spun in the air and landed point down in the asphalt. She held the tip of the Ancient Sword at Kuriyami's throat; he didn't dare move. After what seemed like hours, Jessie lowered the blade.
Kuriyami walked over to his sword and picked it up, placing it back in the sheath. He looked at the shocked faced Ronins and Warlords, and then turned his gaze to Jessie.
"The game still continues," Kuriyami said proudly, "and you have advanced to the next level." He vanished.
Jessie held the Ancient Sword horizontal and it became the Staff once again. It floated from her hands to Kayura. The Ancient Clan descendent looked at it for a moment and returned her eyes back to the Mystic Armor. Jessie took the helmet off.
"Jessie?!" all nine gasped.
"Hey," she smiled at them, "déjà vu." Jessie fell to her knees; whatever strength she had was slowly fading away. The helmet slipped from her hands and she almost fell to the ground, but someone caught her.
<It's all right, Jessie. >
"Anubis," Jessie looked at him with half-closed eyes, "where have you been?"
<I'll tell you later, > Anubis smiled a little. <Rest now, Jessie. >
She was too tired to say anything else. Her eyes closed and Jessie fell into a deep sleep. Anubis gently laid her on the ground. He raised his hand and the Staff rings began to chime.
Kayura rose to her feet and chanted. "Anubis," she said, "what's going on? Why didn't you come here sooner?"
<I couldn't leave the Spirit Realm, > he answered, <the Gate was blocked. >
"Blocked? But how?"
Anubis shook his head. <I don't know, but the barrier disappeared not too long ago. Kaos knew that something was wrong… > He looked down at Jessie. <But I doubt that he foresaw this. >
The others stood up; Ryo and Sage walked over to Jessie. Anubis moved back as the two Ronins knelt on both sides across from each other. Sage reached out and lightly brushed the hair from Jessie's face.
"Why don't we tie Jessie to the bed the next time we tell her to stay home?" Casey suggested.
"Casey, we don't need to hear what you like to have done to you on the weekends," Twyla said quietly so that Yuli wouldn't hear her, even though he was in the front passenger seat of Kento's van.
"Please," said Casey, and then spoke in English, [If the squirt didn't give her the Jewel of Life, we wouldn't be here right now.]
Yuli turned in his seat and glared at Casey. [The squirt has a better understanding of the Jewel of Life than you probably ever will,] he said in English.
"Yuli!" Joana said surprised. "You speak English very well."
"Bet you didn't see that one coming, did you, Case?" Gwen whispered to the open-mouthed girl.
"The guys have been teaching him English," said Mia, "and I've been teaching him French."
"Really?" Twyla perked up. "Polio vu francé?"
"Oui, mademoiselle," Yuli responded.
I can't believe that happened, Casey thought. I have never been so embarrassed- wait! Yes I have! Jessie, I'm still going to get you for reading my diary! I don't care-
Suddenly, the sky lit up like noon.
"The Staff!" said Twyla.
"But where are they?" Joana asked.
Mia pulled the van to the side of the road. "Yuli," she said, "hand me the map." He gave it to her and she scanned the section they were in. If we're on this road, heading north, Mia thought as she traced her fingers to the left. And the light came from this direction… She stopped on an office building. "Osaka Office Supplies," Mia said aloud.
"Isn't that the place that closed last month?" Gwen asked.
"Yeah, the city was supposed to tear down the building." Mia handed Yuli the map and started driving again. After some time, she took a left onto a side road, driving pass a guard booth and smashing through a chain link fence.
I'll pay for the bodywork, Kento, Mia thought.
"There!" Yuli shouted, pointing to the group not far ahead.
Mia stopped the van and everyone jumped out, running over to their friends.
"Are you guys okay?" Mia asked and stopped short when she saw Jessie. "Oh my…"
"Sis!" Joana started to run, but Cye caught her.
"She's all right," he said, "she's sleeping."
"How can she be wearing that?" Gwen asked with wide eyes.
"Did anyone ever wear it before?" asked Twyla.
"No one powerful enough has been able to wear the Mystic Armor for centuries," said Kayura.
Ryo looked up at them and back to Jessie. "What kind of power does she have?" he asked the question that everyone present wanted an answer for.

January 20, 2001
What have we here? Jessie is wearing the Mystic Armor. All nine Armors as one and she's wearing it!
Spain was wonderful. We had to stop in London to and from Spain, and my family and I were exhausted. Don't ask me when my next trip is. I'm flat broke!
~Janime
Coming Soon: Part Nineteen - Different Points of View. Jessie was able to see Ryo's memories because of Wildfire; now she's starting to see everyone's! And some of them aren't all that pleasant.