Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ Warrior Call ❯ Different Points of View ( Chapter 19 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Ronin Warriors
Warrior Call
By Janime
Part Nineteen - Different Points Of View
**********
Dayus stood on top of the wall near the palace, wearing his sub-armor and holding a quarterstaff in his right hand. Anubis, Sekhmet, and Cale had been brooding around the castle for the past week and a half.
So would I, Dayus thought, if I had lost to Lady Kayura. How embarrassing.
He had never met her, even though he'd been living in the Dynasty for more than fifty years, and hadn't aged a day since he arrived. Master Talpa had mentioned this Lady Kayura a few times, but none of the Dark Warlords ever saw her.
Up until recently, when Lady Kayura caught the other Warlords off guard and wounded their pride more than their bodies. That was the reason Dayus was making himself seem vulnerable. If Lady Kayura was watching him from somewhere - most likely she was - she would attack Dayus with a confidence that she would defeat him.
And Dayus was going to show her how wrong and foolish she would be. Dayus paced the length of the wall, spinning the staff and humming lightly to himself. He felt another presence but pretended not to notice. At the last moment, Dayus jumped out of the way before a slim blade cut him. He quickly spun around, but his attacker was nowhere to be seen.
"I know you're here, Lady Kayura," Dayus said, "but you will find that I won't be easy to defeat like the other Dark Warlords."
"Is that so?" a female voice asked, and Dayus couldn't help noticing how attractive it was; the slight echo seemed to add more appeal.
"Yes, it is. Come, Lady Kayura, let me see you."
Lilac petals started to fall from the sky. Not far ahead, a small part of the scenery changed, and a woman came into view.
Dayus had to blink - this was not what he had expected. Lady Kayura had long dark hair, dark eyes, and a nicely curved figure. Dayus mentally shook himself. She had attacked him and the other Dark Warlords. For now, he had to consider her as an enemy.
A rather beautiful enemy.
Kayura looked at Dayus. He wasn't like the other Dark Warlords - that fact was true. After all, she had watched the four since the day each had arrived, especially Dayus. There was something alluring about him - maybe it was the eye patch.
"Why aren't you wearing your Armor?" Kayura asked. "The other Dark Warlords had theirs."
"Maybe I'm not as insecure as they are," Dayus said.
"So you're not bothered by the possibility that I may defeat you?"
"Who said that you will?"
"I defeated the other three."
"As I said before, I won't be easy to defeat."
"Well then," Kayura pulled out her twin jitte, "let's begin."
Dayus ran at her, aiming to strike her left arm. Kayura flipped backwards and swung, barely missing Dayus' ear. He jumped down off the wall and turned invisible.
Kayura landed not far from where Dayus was standing and looked around. "Hiding already?" she taunted. "At least your comrades had enough dignity to-" She gasped as her jitte were knocked out of her hands, and someone grabbed her from behind.
"Like a fly caught in a web," Dayus said, as he turned visible. "You should have been more cautious."
Kayura ceased her attempt to free herself from the Warlord's hold. She had never been this close to a man before.
Dayus inhaled the sweet scent Kayura had, and then slowly released her. He didn't want to let her go - he wanted to be with her, side by side for all eternity.
Kayura picked up her jitte and placed them in their sheaths. "So you've won," she said, walking closer to him.
"Perhaps," Dayus said quietly, and lightly touched her cheek. Gently catching her chin, Dayus lowered his head and kissed her.
Kayura's mind went into shock; then she closed her eyes and held onto Dayus as if her life depended on it. She had never felt anything like this before.
Dayus himself couldn't believe the effect this simple kiss had on him. Had they been in a secluded area, he would have done more. Slowly Dayus pulled away from Kayura, and the two gazed fondly at each other.
Kayura stepped back and smiled. "I'll see you again, my Dark Warlord," she said and disappeared.
"Until then, my Lady Kayura," Dayus whispered.
"Did she beat you?" asked Sekhmet.
"No," Dayus answered.
"You beat her," said Cale.
"No."
"What happened then?" Anubis asked.
"It's a draw," said Dayus, "but we might have another bout."
"So what is your opinion of Lady Kayura?" Sekhmet asked.
"She is the most devious, conniving woman I have ever met," Dayus finished his drink, stood up and headed for the door. "And we must make children together."
A thud and a gagging noise made Dayus turn around. Anubis was sitting normally, Sekhmet had fallen backwards, and Cale's face was changing colors as he choked on his sake.
"Uh, Cale is…" Dayus said, and Anubis whacked the Corruption Warlord's back.
"Thank you," Cale gasped and looked at Dayus. "Have you been smoking opium again?"
"I haven't touched it in thirty years," Dayus said.
Anubis stood up and walked over to him. He sniffed the other Warlord's clothes and said, "He's telling the truth."
"What demon has possessed you to go after Kayura?" Sekhmet demanded as he brought himself back to a sitting position.
"If Kayura is the demon," Dayus smiled, "then she may possess my soul. However this is my personal matter. I will handle it. Good night." He returned to his room.
The other three Warlords sat there, taking in Dayus' words.
"He's obsessed," said Sekhmet.
"He's insane," said Cale.
"He's in love," said Anubis.
~
Jessie opened her eyes and stared at the ceiling. She sighed and placed an Armor covered hand on her forehead. Why do I get the feeling that I'm going to know more about Dayus and Kayura than I want to? Jessie thought.
She sat up, stretching her arms above her head. This was the third day she was in the Dynasty, and wearing the Mystic Armor. Kayura was doing her best to remove the Mystic Armor from Jessie. So far the ceremony that Kayura performed with the Ronins' and other Warlords' aid seemed to have little effect.
Fortunately, Dr. Fuji had told Jessie's teachers that she had a mild case of pneumonia, and that she had to stay in bed. One of Jessie's teachers offered to bring the final exams to Jessie so that she could take them. Kayura's magic and Dayus' illusions had the teacher believe that he had walked into Jesse's room and saw her sitting in her bed wearing pajamas and a robe, rather than walking into the Dynasty and Jessie wearing the Mystic Armor.
Jessie turned and pulled the cloth off the helmet, the swords resting behind it. She stared at the helmet for a few moments, and then placed the cloth over it again.
"Why must I see everyone's memories?" Jessie whispered. She had seen memories from Ryo, Sage, Cye, Kento, Rowen, Anubis, Sekhmet, Cale, Dayus, and Kayura. She had seen the memory of how Dayus and Kayura met through both of their eyes; the kiss had been though Kayura's, which made Jessie grateful to the Mystic Armor - and had to agree with Kayura that Dayus was a wonderful kisser.
The clock said that it was almost two in the morning. Jessie sighed and lay down again. Everything that happens has its purpose, she thought. Then what is the purpose of me wearing the Mystic Armor?
~
It was late at night in the Dynasty. Though the shadows, Dayus and Kayura quietly made their way under the dark shield. Over the years, the friendship between the four Dark Warlords had slowly disappeared - but that didn't affect Dayus and Kayura; their relationship had grown stronger. It was hard for them to be together; they had their best to hide their feelings for each other in front of the other Warlords and Master Talpa. If they did know, no one said anything.
Holding Kayura's hand firmly in his, Dayus led her further from the palace. They arrived at a small building and went inside. Kayura escaped from Dayus as he reached for her. "A little forward tonight, aren't we?" she asked in a sultry voice.
"It has been quite a while since we had some time alone together," said Dayus. He walked around her, like a cat circling a bird. Dayus caught her in his arms and Kayura laughed, kissing him passionately. Both went to their knees, and Dayus lay back on the mat on the floor. The kiss ended and Kayura rested her head on her loves chest; Dayus lightly ran his fingers through her silky hair.
This room was their haven, a place where they could escape to and be with each other - to just hold each other. Dayus was constantly dreaming of the day when he and Kayura would make love, but he didn't want to push her; Dayus would wait until Kayura felt ready.
"I like being here with you," Kayura whispered. "I feel safe with you."
"I'm happy that you are," said Dayus. "Kayura… will you marry me?"
Kayura looked at him, eyes wide. She couldn't believe what Dayus had said.
"Please be my wife," Dayus continued, "let me have the honor of being your husband. I want to be with you for all eternity."
"Dayus…" Kayura leaned over and kissed him.
"I'll take that as a 'yes'," Dayus said.
"More that a 'yes'," Kayura smiled. She stood up and walked back a little. Reaching behind, Kayura undid the bow of her obi, and let her kimono fall to the floor. Dayus rose to his feet and walked over to his beloved.
"You realize what you're asking," Dayus said as he ran trembling fingers up Kayura's arm.
"I know," Kayura wrapped her arms around his neck. "Please, Dayus."
Her gentle words made him lose all control. Pulling her against him, Dayus kissed Kayura with a burning passion, fueled by his own soul.
Kayura lightly ran her fingertips along Dayus' spin, and he shivered. Dayus rested on top of Kayura; his energy spent from the long passionate hours, Dayus didn't want to move. Vaguely, he felt Kayura pull her kimono over them. Lifting his head from Kayura's shoulder, Dayus kissed his lover and started to get up.
Kayura gently grabbed his upper arms. "Stay," she pleaded quietly. Unable to ignore the beseeching look in her eyes, Dayus settle back onto her shoulder, with Kayura stroking his hair. "Sleep, my love," she whispered.
As sleep beckoned him, Dayus couldn't help thinking - what if Kayura had conceived? Dayus smiled; it would be his child, their child. A child of the Dynasty. A child that would serve their Emperor Talpa.
Kayura watched Dayus sleep. She knew the fate Master Talpa had planned for the Dark Warlords. Kayura didn't care about the other three, but she wanted Dayus with her always. Maybe after the Mortal Realm would be joined to the Dynasty, Kayura would ask Master Talpa for Dayus.
~
Jessie bolted upright with her hands pressed against her eyes and doing her best not to scream. Slowly, she lowered her hands, and then took the cloth off the helmet, holding the object and glared at it.
"I understand that I have to wear you for now," Jessie hissed, "I understand that my body feels like I'm being burned from acid trying to remove you. I understand that I have to see their memories. But I did not have to see Dayus and Kayura fornicating!" She threw the helmet; it hit the wall and bounced to the corner of the room.
Jessie fell back onto the mat, covering her eyes; the memory of Dayus and Kayura still fresh in her mind. She didn't see the memory from Kayura's eyes, nor from Dayus' (AMEN!), Jessie saw the memory as if she had been in the room watching them.
I'll never be able to look at those two the same ever again, Jessie thought. And I highly doubt that anyone else knows about that birthmark you have, Dayus… besides Kayura and me.
Someone knocked on the door. "Jessie, you awake?"
"Come in, Ryo," said Jessie, not looking up.
The door opened and Ryo, along with two more judging by the footsteps, entered her room. "How are you feeling?" Ryo asked.
Jessie turned to answer, and she saw Dayus and Kayura standing next to Ryo. Jessie screamed and turned onto her side, facing away from them and covering her head with the pillow.
Ryo sighed; Jessie had reacted somewhat like this to Cale yesterday, after she had seen Sage's memory from the time he battled the Warlord in the subway over six years ago. "Memory," said Ryo.
"You don't know the half of it!" Jessie yelled from under her pillow.
"We'll stop by later," said Kayura.
Ryo nodded and the married couple left the room. Walking over to Jessie, Ryo knelt beside her and tapped her shoulder.
"I don't mean to sound inconsiderate," Jessie said, "but are they gone?"
"Yes," said Ryo. "So which memory?"
"I rather not say," Jessie removed the pillow and sat up. "How's everything back at the house?"
"We miss you a lot. It's not the same without you to joke around with."
"How's Joana handling all this?"
Ryo laughed a little. "I think she's ready to invite herself to stay here with you until you come home."
"That's my sis," Jessie smiled. "What about Sage?"
"Last night, he slept in your bed," Ryo told her. "I saw him there when I woke up this morning."
"Really?"
"Yep, I don't know what you did to the Flirt King, Jess, because none of us have ever seen him act this way about any girl he went out with before he met you."
Jessie had to smile. "That'll make the Date Club cry if they ever hear that."
"Where is everyone?" Kento yelled through the house. "Hello!"
"Dining room, Kento!" Gwen's voice answered him.
Kento's face lit up. He quickly removed his shoes and coat, and ran into the dining room. As he had hoped, Gwen was by herself, sitting at the end of the table, concentrating on homework.
"So where is everybody?" Kento asked.
"Ryo went to go see Jessie," said Gwen, "Sage went to go pick up Roxy, Mia's still at the university, and I have no idea where the remaining five are."
We're all alone! Kento's mind sang. Thank you God, ancestors, and Ancient One! "Gwen," he said, "would you help me with my homework?"
"Sure," Gwen smiled.
Kento sat next to her and pulled out his books. "How are you feeling?" he asked, and Gwen looked up. "I mean after what happened three days ago."
"Well, I rather not talk about it," Gwen said, "but I am okay."
"Just okay?" Kento asked.
"I'm fine."
"You sure?"
"Positive." Gwen put her hand on his. "Relax, Kento. You of all people should know that I'm all right. It's because of you I'm alive."
"Actually, it was Ryo's idea."
"But you shared half of your life force with me. I don't know how to repay you."
Kento smiled sheepishly. "You can start by helping me with my homework." They laughed.
"But I want to see Jessie!"
"Roxy, I told you that Jessie is sick," Sage told his youngest sister what seemed like the hundredth time. "She's sleeping a lot and she needs her rest."
"Maybe if she sees me she'll be happy," Roxy said. "Please, Cee Dee?"
Sage let out a frustrated sigh. "Roxy, when Jessie is better then she'll she you. Don't forget she's coming over for Christmas."
"What if she's still sick?"
"New Year's."
"But I want to see her!"
"Roxy," Sage warned, "knock it off. We're almost home."
"You're mean," Roxy pouted and stared out the window.
Sage shook his head. He knew how much his baby sister liked Jessie, but until the Mystic Armor was removed from her, Jessie was off limits to the rest of the world.
It sucks, Sage thought, having to stay in the Dynasty and cut off from the people who care about you. At least Ryo went to go see her. He pulled into the driveway of his parents' house, and they exited the car. Sage rang the doorbell and his mother answered.
"Package delivery," said Sage.
"Thank you, dear," June smiled and let them in. Roxy walked past her mother and straight to her room. "What's the matter with Roxy?"
"She's mad at me," Sage answered.
"Now there's a first," said June. "Roxy has never been mad at you ever in her life."
"She is now."
"Why?"
"I won't take her to see Jessie."
"Maybe you should."
"You know that Jessie has pneumonia," Sage said.
"Perhaps I should check Jessie," said June. "You never know, it might not be pneumonia."
"Mom, you have know Dr. Fuji since the day you started working at Shinora Hospital," her son reminded. "Now you're questioning his diagnosis?"
"There have been times when a doctor has misdiagnosed a patient," June said. "I'll stop by on my day off."
"No."
"Excuse me?"
"I will not let you near Mia's house," said Sage. "You won't be giving Jessie a checkup, you'll be interrogating her."
June started to laugh. "You know me too well," she confessed, "but you should take Roxy to see her."
"I know," Sage sighed, "it's just that now is not a good time. When Jessie starts feeling better, I promise to take Roxy to see her."
"For your sake, I hope so. You're her favorite brother, Sage."
"Not right now."
"Cee Dee."
Sage turned and looked at Roxy. In her hands was a folded piece of construction paper decorated with crayon drawings. She held it up to her brother. "Give this to Jessie."
Smiling, Sage took the paper. "Of course I will." Hugging Roxy and kissing his mother's cheek, Sage left the house and went to his car. After settling in the driver's seat, Sage unfolded the paper and smiled at the "Get Well" message inside. He placed the homemade card on the passenger seat and started the car, heading home.
"Thank you very much," Kento said, placing his books in his backpack.
"You did very well," said Gwen, also putting her books away.
"I wouldn't have survived without your help."
"Oh, I think you would have, but it might have taken you longer to finish."
"People think I'm slow because I don't understand some things when they're explained for the first time." Kento followed Gwen into the living room, and they sat on the couch." My problem is that my attention span is narrow."
"You can be stubborn sometimes," she said.
"Did you have to use food to help me understand the problems?"
"Well, I had to use something you're familiar with."
"Is that so?" Kento pounced on Gwen and started to tickle her under her arms. Since the Hardrock Armor returned to him, Kento knew a few more things about Gwen that she didn't tell him - one being her ticklish spots.
"Stop!" Gwen laughed. Finally, Kento did stop. Still laughing a little, Gwen put her arms around Kento's neck. "You're such a sweet guy," she said, "did you know that?"
"Well, I don't hear it that often," said Kento.
Gwen smiled; she lightly ran her index finger behind Kento's left ear. He shuddered a little.
"Like that?" Gwen asked. All Kento could do was nod. He didn't want to say anything, fearing that the wrongs words would come out - and he didn't want Gwen to stop. She pulled Kento closer, resting her head on his shoulder. Kento's arms went around her waist slowly, afraid that he was dreaming and would wake up.
Gwen buried her face in his neck. "You know," she said, "you smell really good."
Kento's arms tightened a little. Please let this be real, he thought. I don't want it to be a dream.
Gwen moved, looking straight into Kento's eyes. She leaned forward and lightly brushed her lips against Kento's, then kissed him fully. Slowly, Kento's hand slid up Gwen's shirt, enticing a moan from her. Kento felt being pulled forward and soon he was on top of Gwen.
This is real! Kento's hands moved under Gwen's back, reaching her bra, and unhooked it.
"Wait! Stop!" Gwen cried.
Immediately, Kento moved back. He looked at Gwen; she was very upset. "Are you okay?" he asked.
"I can't do this," Gwen whimpered.
"I could never hurt you. You know that, right?" Kento touched her cheek with a gentleness that surprised even himself.
"I'm not ready yet."
"Then I'll wait."
Gwen sat up and hugged him, like a child frightened by a nightmare. "When I am ready," she whispered, "I want it to be with you."
"How much longer is Jessie going to have to wear the Mystic Armor?" asked Casey.
"Not too much, hopefully," said Twyla. "Isn't the ceremony Kayura's using working at all?"
"Yes and no," answered Cye. "But she does has more control over her emotions than she did."
"I actually thought that she was going to kill Cale," Rowen said as he drove his car back to the mansion. "You wouldn't believe the look Jessie had when she saw him."
"The good thing," said Joana, "is that she didn't."
"Only because Sage calmed her down," Casey snickered.
"Casey, knock it off," Twyla sighed.
"Like it's a big secret that Jessie has the hots for the Flirt King."
"You know," said Rowen, "you really shouldn't be talking, Mrs.-"
"It's Miss Cortlyn," Casey hissed, "and don't you forget it."
Rowen smirked; it was very rare that he ever had the chance to make a person miffed besides Ryo. He pulled his car into the driveway.
"Welcome home," Kento said as the five walked into the house.
"You're the only one here?" asked Cye.
"Gwen's upstairs taking a nap. She helped me with my homework."
"Oh no!" Rowen cried jokingly. "The poor girl!"
Kento glared at him as the others laughed a little.
"What did I miss?" Sage asked as he entered.
"Nothing," said Kento, "picking on me as usual."
"Come on," Joana said, "let's see if Gwen's awake."
As the three walked upstairs, Twyla glanced over her shoulder and saw the four Ronins talking. She couldn't hear what they were saying, but the seriousness of their expressions told her that there was going to be a meeting among them when Ryo came home.
Gwen looked around at the shattered pillars and broken stones. "Where am I?" she whispered.
Everything had been destroyed. Gwen turned and saw herself wearing the same gown that she had worn in the Stream, lying on the ground next to Kento, who was wearing an outfit similar to the Warlords had on when they were in the Stream. Both had horrible wounds.
What was going on? Gwen looked and saw other couples lying on the ground with Gwen's other self and Kento. She gasped as she realized who they were - the other Ronins, the Warlords, Twyla, Casey, Joana, and Mia. Jessie was the only one with minor injuries, or at least she looked like she did. They were five more among them, but Gwen couldn't make out who they were.
"But I know them," she said aloud yet she was unheard.
Gwen watched Jessie as she moved from couple to couple, holding a chalice in her hands, and collected a small amount of blood from each. Jessie moved to the center and knelt, placing the chalice in front of her. Raising her hands, Jessie whispered chants so quietly that Gwen couldn't even hear her.
Jessie drew invisible signs in the air then held her hands above the chalice and it glowed. She picked it up and drank the contents. Suddenly, Jessie's eyes grew wide and she dropped the chalice at the same time Sage screamed.
Then darkness; Gwen couldn't see a thing.
"My love," a voice whispered.
Gwen turned around. "Kento?"
He was in the same outfit like before, only this time he didn't have any wounds. In his hands, Kento held two small orbs - one was orange and the other silver.
"Whatever happened," Kento said, "I will understand. I could never and would never hurt you." He held out the silver orb.
Gwen looked at the orb, then to Kento, and back to the orb. Timidly, she raised her hand and Kento smiled.
"Hey, Gwen."
She jerked awake and almost fell off her bed.
"I'm sorry," Casey apologized.
"Don't worry," Gwen said, "I had a freaky dream. Kento was in it. To be honest all of us were."
"'All' as in everyone in this house including the Warlords?" asked Joana.
Gwen nodded. "They were five more with us," she said, "but I couldn't tell who."
"So what happened in the dream?" Twyla asked.
"I don't want to talk about it," Gwen sighed. But I do have to talk to Kento, she thought. He has to know, if he doesn't already.
Ryo had gone back to the mansion, but he would return later with the other Ronins to perform the ceremony.
In the meantime, Jessie walked down one of the many pathways of the main grounds. She wasn't worried about getting lost; the Mystic Armor practically implanted the entire layout of the Dynasty and the palace in her mind. She also knew the places that the Warlords kept to themselves as a hiding place, a little sanctuary for some time by themselves. There were some areas Jessie didn't know, and if she did get lost, the Warlords would find her.
It's like another planet, Jessie thought, a whole world living parallel to Earth. Is that possible? Why not? Heaven and hell are in balance with each other. She stopped. But Earth is the Mortal Realm, and in balance with the Spirit Realm. Depending on the actions in a person's life will determine where they go - the Spirit Realm of the Nether Realm. Does this mean that heaven is the Spirit Realm and hell is the Nether Realm?
"But the Nether Realm took over the Dynasty," Jessie concentrated harder. How is the Dynasty liked to Earth? She knelt and picked up two twigs, laying them in cross formation. The Spirit and Nether Realms are balanced with each other. Jessie touched the vertical twig. Earth, the Mortal Realm is in between because spirits are inside bodies. And the Dynasty… if it is balanced with Earth then wouldn't that mean people lived here at one time?
She focused her thoughts. There were all kinds animals living in the Dynasty - on land, in water, and the air. And many plants grew as well.
"People could live here," Jessie said aloud.
And why not? There was plenty of food and water, as long as it was maintained properly. Other than the scenery, the difference between the Dynasty and Earth was for those who live in the Dynasty would not suffer from as many health problems. Death would be the one calamity neither realm could avoid.
Unless you're immortal, Jessie thought, like the Warlords. She stood up. I wonder why they didn't become mortal again after they defeated Talpa. Oh well, I guess it doesn't really matter at this point.
So all four are balanced with each other. And when people died from Earth or the Dynasty, they either went to the Spirit Realm or the Nether Realm. Spirits like Anubis can return to Earth without being reincarnated, demons can't - that's their eternal punishment. Then Talpa managed to take control of the Dynasty and used it as a gateway to Earth. The Ronins and the Warlords defeated him; the Nether Realm lost its dominion over the Dynasty, and hasn't gained it back in six and a half years.
Jessie shifted uncomfortably. Up until recently, she reminded herself. Now they're entering the Mortal Realm without the Dynasty. But how? I'll have to ask Anubis the next time he visits how spirits go from the Spirit Realm to Earth. Wait a minute… where am I?
So caught up in her thoughts, Jessie didn't even notice where she was walking. Ahead of her was a small one-room building. Jessie walked over to it and pushed the door open.
Not much for the décor, Jessie looked around and smiled. Maybe Joana should use this as a project for her interior design class.
There was something here; Jessie could feel it. The Mystic Armor was radiating a small amount of energy. Jessie walked around the room and the energy fluctuated, growing weaker or stronger depending where she walked.
"Where is it?" Jessie asked. She walked over to where part of the roof had caved in; the energy grew stronger. Being careful removing the debris, Jessie uncovered a stairwell. She picked up a piece of wood and made a ball of blue fire appear in her hand to light the end. She smiled; the Mystic Armor had allowed her to cast small spells. Holding the torch firmly, Jessie descended into the dark abyss.
How long has this been here? Jessie thought as she reached the last step. The light from the torch showed Jessie that she was in another room no bigger than the one above. Before her was a set of doors; a strange lock mechanism barred it, along with a seal on the lock.
Jessie walked closer and the energy from the Mystic Armor increased. Setting the torch in a wall hanger, Jessie reached out and touched the seal with both hands.
Kuriyami's whip was a pinprick compared to the massive jolt Jessie received from the seal. She staggered back, gasping and rubbed her throbbing hands together.
"That'll wake you up," Jessie coughed and looked at the seal. Whatever's behind that door, Talpa really didn't want it to come out, she thought. And he certainly didn't want anyone going in there, either.
"Jessie," Sekhmet came down the stairs. "What are you doing here?"
She opened her mouth to answer and looked at the Warlord. "You can drop the disguise, Dayus, I recovered from this morning."
"Just taking a precaution," Dayus said as he let his illusion go. "Sekhmet seems to be the only one here on your good side."
"That's because I haven't seen a memory with him as the adversary yet," Jessie grinned wickedly. "And if I had, it would have sucked to be you. Even though I left the swords and helmet in my room."
"I think I have the Ancient One's protection since I married Kayura."
"At least you knew what you were getting into when you married her."
Dayus smiled and then looked at the sealed door. "So why did you come down here?" he asked.
"I don't know," Jessie sighed. "Do you know what this place is?"
Dayus shook his head. "We - the other Warlords and myself - knew of it. But as to why it's locked and what is inside, I can't help you with that. Talpa forbade the four of us to come here or speak of it. I asked Kayura what she knew about this since Talpa had permitted her more access then the four of us, but she never knew about this place until I brought her here."
"Interesting," Jessie said. "I take it the reason you found me is because the Ronins are here and Kayura wants to do the ceremony."
"Yes," said Dayus solemnly.
"Am I mad at you?" Jessie asked in a child tone, which made Dayus smile. He took the torch and they went upstairs.
"Do you think the Mystic Armor will come off this time?" Casey asked as she picked at the brussel sprouts.
"Pray that it does," said Twyla. The five Ronins left for the Dynasty a few hours ago; the rest of the household started dinner without them. White Blaze was under the table, enjoying the small pieces of meat the girls tossed to him as an appetizer before Mia gave the tiger his steak.
"From what Ryo told me about when the Ancient One showed him how the Mystic Armor was divided," Mia said, "it shouldn't take very long."
"Was there a person wearing the Mystic Armor when the Ancient One divided it?" Casey asked. "No."
"But when Talpa absorbed the nine Armors," Joana spoke up, "each had a wearer, and then Ryo managed to break free and beat Talpa the first time with Inferno, which caused the Mystic Armor to divide again, and all of them were okay except for being drained a little, so-"
"Joana," Gwen put her hand on the shorter girl's shoulder, "you're babbling again." Joana sat still for a moment, and then continued to eat.
About halfway through their meal, the Ronins came home with grim expressions.
"Any luck?" Mia asked, but she didn't have to.
"Not really," answered Ryo.
"How's Jessie?" asked Twyla.
"Extremely exhausted and barely conscious when we brought her back to her room," said Sage; he looked the most upset of the five.
"What did Kayura say?" Joana asked.
"Same thing," Rowen told her. "Let Jessie rest and we'll try again."
Joana leaned back in her chair and Cye patted her shoulder. "She'll be all right," he said.
"Can't Kayura use something else?" Gwen asked.
"The spell that she's using is one of the strongest that she has," Ryo said. "The amazing thing is that we can still use a small amount of our Armors' powers without them. That means we're still connected to them. As long as that link stays, Jessie won't be taken over by the Mystic Armor."
"When you say 'taken over'," Casey said, "you mean…"
"She'll lose her free will," Kento confirmed.
"Oh, Jessie," Twyla whispered.
"Take White Blaze with you tomorrow," said Mia. "I know that Jessie will appreciate him being there."
Upon hearing his name, the tiger crawled out from under the table and sat in front of Ryo, purring in agreement of Mia's idea.
"I guess it wouldn't hurt," Ryo smiled and scratched White Blaze's ears. "You'll cheer Jessie up, won't you, boy?"
White Blaze purred his response.
"She acts like whoever's memory she has seen prior to waking up," Kayura explained. "Jessie doesn't see the Ronins everyday like she does with us, that's why she panics."
"I hate to make Sekhmet bring Jessie her supper," Cale said, "but I'm afraid to walk into her room unprotected."
"She didn't do anything to me," said Dayus. "To be honest, Jessie didn't tell Ryo which memory she saw."
Cale laughed. "It must have been horrible."
"At least she didn't try to kill me," Dayus retorted and received a glare from the blue-haired Warlord.
"In any case," Kayura spoke before the either of the two could say something, "Jessie might-"
Sekhmet ran in. "She's gone!" he said, panic in his deep voice.
"Maybe she went for another walk," Dayus suggested.
"Does she take the swords and helmet with her?" Sekhmet looked at him. The others jumped up.
"Should we call the Ronins?" Cale asked.
"Not yet," said Kayura. "Search everywhere."
From top to bottom, the four cheeked every place they could think of among the grounds. Dayus even went back to the underground sealed door, but Jessie wasn't there.
"No sign of her," Sekhmet said when they regrouped.
"She has to be here somewhere," said Cale.
Dayus looked at Kayura. "Are you going to call them?"
"I don't have much of a choice," Kayura summoned the Staff. "I'll ask them to bring White Blaze." The rings chimed and Kayura chanted.
<No need to call the Ronins, > said Anubis.
"You found Jessie?" Kayura asked. "Where is she?"
<The last place even I don't want to be near. >
"She's at the palace?!"
The other three Warlords' eyes widened. "What the hell is she doing there?" Cale asked.
"Whatever she's doing there," said Sekhmet, "guaranteed it's not of her own choice."
"You don't think that she's seen one of Talpa's memories, do you?" Dayus asked.
"We have to stop her," Kayura said, and they ran towards the palace.
Jessie stood at the bottom of the stairs that led to the palace doors. The Warlords had sworn that they would never set foot inside the palace again, and kept that vow for six and a half years.
And I'll be making them break it, Jessie thought, looking down at the helmet she held like a newborn child in her arms, and started to walk up the steps. Why here? What's hidden inside that crypt I found? Is there a connection between it and the palace?
"Jessie!"
She stopped. "Cale, there's nothing you or the others can say that can change this."
"Don't go in there," said Sekhmet.
"I have to."
"Why?"
"I'll know when I go in there." Jessie continued up the steps.
Anubis appeared in front of her. <Jessie, please. >
"Get out of my way, Anubis," she warned. "Don't forget I can touch you."
<Why the palace? > he asked. <We swore that we never again would enter. >
"You don't want to be reminded of your past even in your afterlife, do you?" Jessie turned to the other Warlords. "And you don't, either. I'm not enjoying this but I have to face it. So do you." She turned to Anubis. "And that means you, as well."
"What exactly do you expect to find in there?" Kayura asked.
Jessie walked past Anubis to the doors. "I'll know when I find it," she said as she opened the doors and walked inside.
Anubis looked at Kayura momentarily then followed Jessie. Kayura in turn, looked at the trio, and as one walked up the steps and into the palace.
Jessie was halfway down the hall, eyes slowly scanning the interior; she stopped. "Anubis, Dayus," Jessie pointed down the hallway to her right, "your rooms are that way. Walk down to the fourth crossway, go left to Anubis' room and right for Dayus'."
<Yes, > said Anubis.
"That's correct," Dayus confirmed.
"Sekhmet, Cale," Jessie pointed to her left, "your rooms are that way, same distance. Sekhmet to the right, Cale to the left."
"Very good," said Sekhmet.
"And my room is to the east outside," Kayura said, "but everyone knows that."
Not everyone knows about that underground tunnel connecting your room and Dayus', Jessie bit her tongue and looked around. What is it? I know it's here.
The newborn presented and blessed by their leader.
Jessie gasped at the image flash.
"What is it?" Cale asked.
"I'm not sure," Jessie answered.
"The Mortal Realm should serve us if they need our protection."
"That's enough!"
She closed her eyes, trying to focus.
"Jessie," Sekhmet stepped closer to her.
"I've lived long enough, my boy, and I have chosen my successor - you. All my knowledge and powers shall be passed on to you."
"I'm all right," Jessie said.
"I'll name him White Blaze."
"What are you seeing?" Kayura asked.
"I don't know what to make of it," Jessie looked at Kayura. "They're just brief images." She walked further down the hall.
"Jessie, that's the throne room," said Dayus.
"I know."
<You're not going in there, are you? > Anubis asked; Jessie opened the door. <I guess so. >
No one was thrilled of the idea of going into the throne room, but they couldn't leave Jessie by herself in there. With much hesitation, the five entered the throne room.
Jessie was standing before Talpa's throne. It didn't look much like a throne to her; it looked more like a folding TV dinner stand, and that made Jessie smile a little. She looked down at the helmet. "Do me a favor," she said, "try not to freak out." Jessie placed the helmet on her head and sat on the throne.
For the Warlords, it felt as if they had stepped back in time, remembering the days of when they once stood before Talpa, calling him their emperor and master. After some time, Jessie removed the helmet. The Warlords noticed the sadness in her eyes. She stood up and placed the helmet on the throne.
"Jessie?" said Cale.
She turned to them. "I thought maybe if I came here, I would see something." Jessie sighed and looked at the helmet. It stared back, mocking her with its silent laughter.
Angered and frustrated, Jessie knocked the helmet off the throne. She dropped to her knees, crying, and leaned against it.
Kayura ran to her side. "It'll be all right, Jess."
"I know it's here," Jessie sobbed.
"We'll help you," said Dayus.
Jessie raised her head up.
"Promise," said Sekhmet.
"You're not alone, Jessie, > Anubis said. <And you won't be. >
"Thank you," Jessie wiped her tears, "all of you."
"Come on," said Kayura, "let's get out of here."
Jessie nodded and stood up. She took the helmet from Cale, who had picked it up. They left the palace, shutting the doors behind them. The sound of the closed doors dully echoed through the halls.

March 24, 2001
Oooooh, there's a few surprises left in the Dynasty. Will they ever be uncovered? Wait and see! (And at the rate I'm going, it'll be 2005 by the time I finish this. ACK!)
Coming Soon: Part Twenty - Bloodstained Armor Weakens A Warrior - Jessie learns the terrible truth of what happened to the Ancient One's clan from the memories everyone had prayed that she would never see.