Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ Warrior Call ❯ Bloodstained Armor Weakens a Warrior ( Chapter 20 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Ronin Warriors
Warrior Call
By Janime
Part Twenty - Bloodstained Armor Weakens a Warrior
"She's been wearing the Mystic Armor for almost a week!" Casey yelled. "Today is the fifth day!"
"We know," Kento said, rubbing his ear and hoped Casey would at least lower her voice.
The doorbell rang. "I'll get it," said Sage; he opened the front door. "Dr. Fuji," he said surprised. "What are you doing here?"
"House call," said Dr. Fuji. "I was hoping that you could let me see Jessie so that I may at least check her blood pressure if possible."
"I don't see why not." Sage let the doctor pass, and both walked into the living room.
"Dr. Fuji," said Ryo.
"He wants to check Jessie's blood pressure," Sage explained.
"It's for her medical file," said Dr. Fuji. "I have to put those numbers in - I can't falsify them."
"I don't think the Warlords would mind," Ryo said.
"We're coming, too," said Joana.
Cye looked at her. "I don't think that-"
"Listen, Water Boy," Twyla cut in, "we're the closest to a family Jessie has, right now. She needs to see us if she's going to make it through this."
"And we're linked to the Armor as well," said Gwen. "Maybe not as strong as the five of you, but we are."
"What about you, Mia?" Ryo asked.
"I'm coming, too," she said.
"All right," Ryo took a Gate Orb from his pocket, "let's go."
Jessie sat in the middle of her room, lotus position; White Blaze laying beside her with his head in her lap. Jessie lightly ran Armored fingers along his head and shoulders. She smiled; having the tiger in the Dynasty was a great comfort. She felt safe with the large feline around.
White Blaze raised his head at the knock on the door. "Come in," Jessie said. The door opened; she blinked in surprise, and then smiled.
"Hey, Jess," said Twyla, and the small group of women ran to Jessie and hugged her.
"We miss you," Joana said.
"I miss all of you, too," said Jessie. "But what are you doing here?"
"We told them that we were coming this time," said Gwen, "and that you need to see us."
"You got that part right." Jessie said. Reaching over to the cloth, she pulled it from the helmet and swords. She picked up the helmet and stood. Jessie held out her left hand, fingers spread; the swords floated up behind her. She closed her hand into a fist and the swords attached themselves to her back. The five arrivals looked at her in amazement.
"Shall we?" Jessie asked and walked out of her room with White Blaze tailing after her.
Casey whistled. "Cool."
"If you say so," Mia said.
Jessie opened the to the ceremonial room and walked inside. Mia, Casey, Joana, Gwen, Twyla, White Blaze, and Dr. Fuji waited outside with the door open slightly.
Maybe they shouldn't have come, Ryo thought as he stood at one of the nine points of the star. Clockwise stood Ryo, Cale, Dayus, Rowen, Kento, Sage, Cye, Sekhmet, and Kayura. Jessie walked to the center; she looked at the nine warriors. Her eyes rested on Ryo standing before her.
Sage felt a pang of jealousy hit him. He wasn't the only one; outside the room, Mia shifted a little. Both knew that Ryo and Jessie would be linked to each other for the rest of their lives. It wasn't romantic, but it still bothered them.
Jessie closed her eyes and placed the helmet on her head. "Whenever you're ready," she told them.
The nine warriors held up their hands, making the signs Kayura had instructed them to do, and they spoke their kanji.
"Virtue."
"Justice."
"Trust."
"Wisdom."
"Life."
"Loyalty."
"Piety."
"Obedience."
"Serenity."
Kayura began to chant the words that the Ancient One had used over a thousand years ago, when he first divided the Mystic Armor. But this time, Kayura had to be extremely careful. Jessie's life was at stake and the slightest mistake would no doubt be fatal.
The nine focused on Jessie, concentrating on the Mystic Armor to leave without harming her in any way.
Jessie felt the pain; she tried to block it, but it was too much. She put her hands on the sides of her head against the helmet, and fell to her knees.
Sis! Joana started to go inside, but Gwen stopped her. The ceremony couldn't be interrupted or Jessie would be lost. All they could do was watch.
Their eyes widened as the Mystic Armor started to become translucent. Within moments, it faded and Jessie was only wearing the sub-armor.
"Is… is it off?" Jessie asked weakly, her eyes remaining closed.
"It's down to the sub-armor," Ryo told her.
Jessie opened her eyes, looking at herself. "It's progress," she said. Suddenly, Jessie's hands flew to her head and she screamed.
"Jess, what-" Ryo started but an intense pain within his head made him cry out. All Ryo could hear was White Blaze roaring, Dr. Fuji shouting, and everyone else screaming with him.
"Accept this Armor, Hariel, to battle the evil."
"I will, Ancient One. All that I ask is that you take care of my-"
The image and the pain vanished. Ryo opened his eyes slowly, looking at everyone and his gaze settled on Jessie. She was pale and gasping, and then she collapsed. Sage ran to her and held Jessie in his arms.
"What the hell was that?" Kento asked.
"The Ancient One," said Kayura. "From a memory before our time."
"And he was speaking with Hariel," Mia said; she looked at the Warlords. "Hariel died two hundred years before you were born."
"All of you saw it?" Dr. Fuji asked.
"Didn't you?" Casey looked at him; the doctor shook his head.
"Wait, the four of you saw it because you wore our Armors," Cye said.
"But how did Mia see it?" Gwen asked.
Mia swallowed hard and shifted uncomfortably from everyone's gaze. "Maybe because I've known about the Armors since I was little?" she said nervously.
"We'll worry about that later," said Kayura, "let's take care of Jessie first."
"How much longer will it take to get it off her?" Twyla asked. Everyone was sitting in the main hall, except for Mia and Dr. Fuji.
"Shouldn't be too much longer," Ryo answered.
"We have to remove it as soon as we can," said Kayura, "or it will never come off."
"'Never' as in meaning until the day she dies?" Cye asked.
"'Never meaning 'never'," Kayura said; everyone looked at each other with worry. "Jessie will become a part of the Mystic Armor," Kayura continued. "The longer it stays on her, the harder it will be to remove it. She won't die, and she'll lose her free will - become like the Armor. Good or evil, either side can use her."
"Damn it," Sage murmured, leaning his head against the wall and looked at the ceiling in despair.
Mia and Dr. Fuji entered. "Amazing," said the doctor, "even with the Armor on, I was able to check Jessie's blood pressure."
"How is it?" Ryo asked.
"Despite the stress that she's under, it's perfectly normal." Dr. Fuji smiled a little. "That's all I can tell you. As for her mind…"
"We have to help her with that," said Ryo. White Blaze was sitting beside him, and the Ronin leader scratched the tiger's head. "Keep watch over her, boy," Ryo said. White Blaze purred.
"I just don't understand how I saw that memory of Hariel and the Ancient One with the rest of you and Dr. Fuji didn't," Mia said. She was sitting on the loveseat couch in the living room with Ryo sitting next to her. The rest of the household had gone to bed and were asleep, while the couple downstairs tried to figure out why Mia saw the memory.
"Maybe Jessie's been around you more that she has Dr. Fuji?" Ryo suggested.
"I would agree but Gwen, Joana, Casey, and Twyla wore the other Ronins' Armors - that explains how they saw it." Mia frowned in concentration. I wonder what Hariel asked the Ancient one to take care of... she thought and sighed. "I wish I knew why I saw that memory."
Ryo put his arm around Mia's shoulders and pulled her to him. "There's an explanation," he said, "we'll find one."
Mia relaxed against him. "I hope so," she whispered.
Ryo lightly rubbed Mia's back, and then slipped his hand under her sweater to her bra and unhooked it.
"Honestly, Ryo," Mia looked at him. "You haven't even kissed me yet."
"I'm sorry," he apologized and lightly brushed his lips against hers. Mia entangled her fingers into Ryo's raven locks as she deepened the kiss. Ryo was doing his best to keep himself and Mia on the couch, while his hands explored under Mia's sweater.
Footsteps coming down the stairs made the two stop; Ryo quickly turned off the lamp and they ducked behind the couch. Ryo carefully peeked around, watching Kento walk past the living room and into the kitchen. He sighed quietly and looked at Mia; she smiled. They remained hiding safely behind the couch until they heard Kento return upstairs from his late night snack.
"Never fails, does it?" Mia asked quietly.
"Always," he answered. They stood up and Ryo kissed her one more time. "Good night, Mia."
"Good night, Ryo. Sweet dreams."
"As long as you're in them, I know they are."
Mia laughed quietly, and the two went to their separate bedrooms.
White Blaze walked through the Dynasty, heading for Anubis' Shrine. The tiger had spent most of the evening keeping watch over Jessie. White Blaze arrived at the shrine; he walked up the steps and went inside. Anubis wasn't inside and the tiger wished that the spirit was there. He settled in front of the altar and closed his eyes, letting sleep take away the day's stressful events.
As the Warlords and White Blaze slept peacefully, only one was seeing within her sleep events that happened long ago, and too horrible to even dare describe. Sweat dotting her forehead, Jessie tossed and turned, lightly mumbling pleas to stop what the Mystic Armor forced her to know.
~~~~~~~~~~ Houses burning, flocks and herds slaughtered, gardens destroyed, and people unmercifully killed. Talpa watched from his throne room the destruction his Nether - no, Dynasty Soldiers brought down upon the Ancient Clan.
"Well, monk," Talpa said, "what will you feel when you return home and find your people dead - and at my command? Will you hate me? I sincerely hope that you will. Badamon!"
"Lord Talpa," the Nether Spirit priest appeared in the throne room.
"Have you retrieved what I asked for?" Talpa queried.
"Yes, lord," said Badamon. "A child no older than five has been brought back to the Dynasty. She is strong for one so young."
"What is her name?"
"Before the mother died, she called the child 'Kayura'."
"Prepare her, priest," said Talpa, "for Kayura will be a part of the Dynasty, and her loyalty sworn to me alone."
"Yes, sire," Badamon bowed and disappeared.
Talpa laughed. "Now, monk, one of your own people will become my servant - my follower. And your hate for me will grow!"
~~~~~~~~~~ Jessie bolted upright, gasping. Bile started to rise in her throat and she fought to keep it down. She lost the battle and vomited in the water basin on the small table against the wall. Jessie washed her mouth out with water from the pitcher. She placed a towel over the basin, knowing that she would have to wait till morning to take care of it.
Leaning against the wall, Jessie started to cry. She couldn't believe that so much carnage could exist within a single memory. But she did see and feel it - the agony, the horror, the terror...
And the pleasure.
You enjoyed it.
Jessie gasped at the voice.
You enjoyed every moment, didn't you?
"No…" Jessie whispered.
Oh yes, you did. Watching those people drop like leaves-
"Shut up."
-As they died. Their blood flowing like water.
"Stop it!" Jessie curled up, shutting her eyes and covered her ears, but the voice continued to taunt her.
You're just like those from the Nether Realm.
"No!"
You are exactly like Emperor Talpa.
"NOOOOOOOOOO!"
White Blaze jerked awake at the screams. The tiger ran from the shrine to the Warlords' rooms. He reached Sekhmet's first and managed to pull the door open with his claws. White Blaze pounced on the thrashing and screaming Venom Warlord to wake him.
Sekhmet's eyes flew open, only to see a mass of white fur with blue eyes above him. He laid still for a moment to gather his thoughts, and then registered the screams. Quickly, Sekhmet jumped to his feet and ran to Cale's room, as White Blaze ran to Dayus and Kayura's.
After pulling the door open, Sekhmet ran over to Cale and grabbed his screaming friend's shoulders. "Cale!" Sekhmet yelled and shook him. "Wake up!"
Cale's eyes flew open and he looked up at Sekhmet, gasping. "What happened?" Cale asked; in the background, Dayus and Kayura's screams stopped.
"I'll check Jessie," said Sekhmet. "You go see about Dayus and Kayura."
Cale nodded and both Warlords ran to their destinations.
Mia jolted awake from the screaming that erupted from the others in the house. She quickly jumped out of bed and ran to Ryo's bedroom.
"Ryo!" Mia cried, watching him thrash on his bed and screaming at the top of his lungs. She ran to him, grabbed his arms, and shook him awake.
Gasping, Ryo finally awoke. He looked at Mia, and then the screams caught his attention. Ryo scrambled out of bed for the other Ronins' room, as Mia went to the girls'.
Ryo woke Sage first, next was Cye. Sage woke Rowen as Ryo and Cye pulled Kento off his bed to wake Hardrock, and he crashed onto the floor. The five Ronins looked at each other; terror written on their faces. From the next room, they heard the girls crying.
When the Ronins' entered the girls' room, they saw Mia sitting next to Casey, trying to comfort her. Ryo and Sage leaned against the wall, one on each side of the doorframe.
"What the hell was that?" Twyla sniffed, as Rowen lightly ran his hand over her hair.
"I don't know," said Cye, rocking Joana back and forth in his arms.
"It was… was…" Gwen couldn't finish.
"Horrible," said Kento; he lightly kissed the top of Gwen's head.
"Pure terror," said Ryo. "I didn't know so much could exist at once."
"But where did it come from?" Casey asked shakily.
"Jessie," said Sage; he looked at Ryo. "It came from her."
"Oh God…" Ryo whispered and ran back to his room, silently praying that the Warlords would be able to calm Jessie.
Sekhmet stepped out of Jessie's room as the other Warlords and White Blaze arrived. "She's not here," he said.
They stepped inside Jessie's room and looked around. Cale lifted the towel from the water basin and immediately replaced it. "She threw up," he said. "Whatever she saw this time, it really terrified her."
"Tell me about," said Sekhmet and he slid the door closed. "She didn't even bother opening the door on the way out."
Kayura, Dayus, and Cale stared at the person-sized hole. Dayus walked over to the door and examined the new opening. Near the top to his left, there was something on the end of one of the jagged points. Dayus touched it and it left a red smudge on his thumb and forefinger. "Blood," he said, "Jessie cut her face."
"We have to find her quickly," said Kayura. "White Blaze."
The tiger sniffed around Jessie's room, walking towards the door. Sekhmet opened it and White Blaze went outside; the Warlords followed. Suddenly, White Blaze stopped and turned, growling urgently at the Warlords and then to the west pathway.
"But that direction leads to…" Cale's voice trailed off and his eyes widened.
"The armory," Sekhmet finished with dread.
"Ancient One…" Kayura prayed.
"She wouldn't!" Dayus said and they started running.
Jessie sat on her knees; the last of her tears slowing down. She felt a sting on her left cheek and touched it. She moved her hand away and looked at the faint line of red across her palm.
Blood.
Jessie's tears started to flow again. The blood of the Ancient One's clan - Kayura's family - stained the Mystic Armor, and Jessie had relished watching them die.
How could I enjoy what happened to them? Jessie thought. Am I really evil? Is that why the Nether Realm wants me? No human has ever been able to wear the Mystic Armor for millennia... Talpa was that last one to wear it. Even when it was divided, the Ronins and Warlords said they could still feel Talpa's evil. Am I like Talpa?
"I am…" Jessie said aloud. "I'm exactly like him…"
Looking around, Jessie saw all the old weapons and armors; she was in the armory. Ironic that it seemed to be a fitting place for the Mystic Armor to be - among the tools used for death and destruction. But it was also said that weapons don't cause damage, only the person who uses them.
Jessie groaned and placed her hands on her head; it was so hard to concentrate. She stood up slowly and looked to her right. Hanging about waist high on the wall was a wakizashi - a short sword used by the samurai. It was always with the samurai, as if it was a part of the body. The samurai also used it to commit hara-kiri - also known as seppuku - where the samurai would cut his own stomach open to save his soul from dishonor.
Jessie walked over and took the wakizashi from its wall mount. She stepped back and pulled the blade out, letting the sheath drop to the floor. The short clatter it made eerily echoed through the room. She knew what had to be done, and prayed that her friends would somehow understand.
The Mystic Armor would see bloodshed for the last time.
"Forgive me…" Jessie whispered, and pointed the blade at her stomach.
The Warlords arrived at the armory, and Sekhmet opened the door. There stood Jessie with a sword aimed at her abdomen.
"Jessie! No! Stop!" Kayura screamed. "Don't do it!"
Distracted, Jessie looked up and the other Warlords tackled her. The wakizashi flew from Jessie's hands and skidded a short distance across the floor.
"Jessie!" yelled Cale. "Snap out of it!"
But she didn't hear him. Even though the Warlords tried to keep her down, Jessie started to get up and drag herself across the floor. Whatever strength the Mystic Armor was giving her, it made the three Warlords seem like children in comparison.
Jessie reached out and grabbed the sword. White Blaze ran over and grabbed Jessie's arm hard with his teeth. She hissed from the pain, but continued to bring the blade closer to her.
Sekhmet quickly moved next to White Blaze, leaving Cale and Dayus pinning Jessie down as he tried to pry the wakizashi from Jessie's fingers. Kayura stood near the door, watching the other Warlords do their best to prevent Jessie from ending her life.
Finally, Sekhmet managed to pull the sword from Jessie's hand and threw it to the floor. It spun across the polished wood, stopping before Kayura's feet.
Jessie yanked her arm from White Blaze's mouth, and began to strike at the Warlords. "Let go of me!" she shrieked, trying to break away from their hold.
"Jess! Please!" Sekhmet held her right arm, fighting against her inhuman strength.
"Let go!" Jessie screamed. "Let me die!" She managed to sit upright.
Dayus finally had it and slapped Jessie across her left cheek. She stopped screaming; the only sound was from her ragged breathing.
"Jessie," said Dayus, gently turning her face to look at him. "Jess, it's me, Dayus."
"Dayus?" she whispered then looked at the other two. "Sekhmet? Cale?" Her eyes went past Dayus to the door. The moment she saw Kayura, Jessie broke down into tears. "I'm sorry, Kayura…" she sobbed.
"Jessie, it's okay," said Kayura soothingly.
"No, it's not," Jessie shook her head. "I saw… I saw what… Talpa did to you family… I saw him destroy your clan." Jessie lowered her head, shamefaced. "And I enjoyed it!"
Cale, Sekhmet, and Dayus looked at Jessie with the deepest sympathy and horrified shock. She saw it all, Dayus thought, through Talpa's eyes. Kayura… He turned around, but his wife was not by the door.
"Dayus," Cale said, "go."
He nodded, lightly touching Jessie's shoulder as he rose to his feet. Dayus picked up the sheath and wakizashi, placing the blade in its protective case as he walked out of the armory. Kayura was outside, her back to Dayus and she stood frozen like a statue. "Kayura?"
She turned to her husband, tears running down her face. "I'm not mad at her," Kayura said, "It's just… Ancient One, why did she have to see it? Why that memory?"
Dayus pulled Kayura into his arms. He looked at the red smudge on his right hand, and felt the anger go through him. Closing his fist tight, Dayus held his wife, not saying a word.
Everyone followed Ryo; he had no idea exactly where he was running to - all he knew was that he had to get there quickly. They rounded a corner and saw Dayus and Kayura up ahead. "What happened?" Ryo asked when they reached the married couple.
Dayus looked down at his wife, and Kayura nodded her permission to him. "Jessie saw what Talpa did to the Ancient Clan," Dayus said, "She almost killed herself." He held up the wakizashi.
[She hasn't tried suicide in a while,] Casey whispered in English.
"Casey!" Twyla hissed quietly at her.
Kento was the only one that heard them. He looked at the two girls from the corner of his eye.
"Ryo," Kayura turned to the Ronin leader, "go talk to her. You're the only one that can help her right now."
Ryo nodded and walked into the armory. Jessie sat on the floor, curled up with her head lowered and hidden by her arms that were wrapped around her knees. Sekhmet and Cale sat on each side beside her, looks of sympathy upon their faces. White Blaze sat next to Sekhmet, and growled when he saw Ryo, announcing the Ronin's presence. The two Warlords looked up as Ryo knelt before Jessie. He reached out to her and she flinched from his touch.
"Jessie," Ryo said gently, "tell me what happened." She shook her head, not looking up. "Please, Jess," said Ryo. {I want to help you,} he sent to her, {but I can't unless you tell me what happened.}
Slowly, Jessie raised her tear stained face. She put her hands on the sides of Ryo's head and closed her eyes. Ryo gasped as he watched the slaughter of the Ancient Clan, but he didn't feel the pleasure like Jessie had. When the memory was over, Jessie pulled back her hands and started crying again.
"Oh, Jessie," Ryo whispered and hugged her. "It wasn't you."
"But I enjoyed it…" Jessie sobbed.
Ryo sighed. "Come on," he said, "everyone is waiting outside."
"I can't," Jessie shook her head. "Not like this. I can't look at them."
"You can go out the back way," said Sekhmet, pointing to the open space on the far wall next to the spears.
Ryo nodded. "Thank you." He helped Jessie stand up and they left the armory.
"Where are they?" Twyla asked when the two Warlords emerged.
"Ryo took Jessie back to her room," Sekhmet told them, "she's a little calmer now."
"I'll talk to her," said Joana.
"Maybe it's best if you wait," said Kayura. "Until after this is over with."
Joana looked distraught. "But-"
"Go home," said the Ancient firmly.
"Come on, Joana," Cye gently took her arm and headed for the Gate.
Cale sighed, watching them leave. "This little truce of ours isn't holding up very well," he said.
"We have to try," Kayura said, "for all of our sakes."
The Warlords had attached a large sheet of cloth to cover the hole in Jessie's door until they would fix it in the morning. Jessie was lying on the mat in her room, curled on her left side. Ryo had left to get an extra bedding set.
What is wrong with me? Jessie thought. How could I enjoy that?
Because you are like Talpa.
Shut up! I'm not listening to you!
That, child, you have no choice, the strange voice from before said. I am here, and there is nothing you can do about it.
Jessie shut her eyes tight. Go away. Go away! GO AWAY! She focused on the voice to leave, burying deep inside until she no longer felt its haunting presence. She relaxed, letting out a quiet sigh.
"Jessie."
She gasped and sat up; Sage was by the door. What is he doing here?! Jessie's mind screamed. "Leave," she turned away, "don't look at me."
"I am, Jessie," Sage walked over to her and knelt. "And do you know what I see?"
"A cold-hearted bitch that doesn't deserve to live," Jessie said, tears threatening to fall.
"No," Sage gently tucked his fingers under her chin, turning her face to look at him. "Someone I care for deeply that I want to help, and it's driving me crazy because I don't know what to do."
Jessie started to cry and Sage pulled her close, running his hand over her hair and whispering words of comfort. Soon, Jessie fell asleep, exhausted from crying, with Sage holding her safely in his arms.
"Are you going to stand there all night or what?" Sage asked.
"Not really," Ryo walked over to them, carrying a bedding set under his right arm. He placed it on the floor, and then helped Sage lay Jessie on her mat.
"This is driving me crazy," said Sage.
"It's driving everyone crazy," Ryo said. "I'm staying here tonight. You better go back to the mansion."
"I don't want to leave her."
"Sage, if anything happens and I need help, you'll be the first person I'll call."
"You swear?" Sage looked at him.
"Ronin Honor," vowed Ryo.
Sage nodded; he reached out to Jessie's face and stroked her cheek. Then he stood and walked out, pausing to look at Jessie one more time, and closed the door.
Rowen looked at the clock. "Five more minute," he said, "then we go back to find out why they stayed behind."
"We can guess why Sage stayed behind," said Casey.
"Just drop it, Casey, will you?" Gwen said. "Yes, they like each other. We know already!"
"Sheesh, calm down," Casey said and backed away.
A Gate opened in the living room and Sage walked in. He nodded his thanks to Kayura as the Gate closed and disappeared. "Sorry I'm late," said Sage.
"No problem," Cye said.
"How's Jessie?" Joana asked.
"Whatever happened in that dream," Sage looked at everyone, "it really has her head messed up. It's like it has her believing that she shouldn't continue to live and that suicide is the only option."
"Oh man," said Kento, and remembered what Casey had said before in the Dynasty. "Casey, didn't you say something about Jessie trying to kill herself before?"
The other Ronins and Mia looked at the girls. "Boy, am I tired," Twyla said. "Good night."
"Freeze!" Sage yelled as the Americans quickly bolted to the stairs and stopped. "Jessie tried killing herself?"
The four turned around and glanced at each other, seeing who would be the one to explain. "We were in junior high," Joana finally spoke, "Jessie was thirteen and… she almost jumped off the roof of her house."
"Whoa…" said Rowen as he, the other Ronins, and Mia looked at them with shocked faces.
"Who stopped her?" Mia asked.
"Her grandfather," Joana continued, "he's from her mother's side. He died five days before her fifteenth birthday. Jessie was a wreak for two weeks - she didn't even want to hear the words 'Happy Birthday'."
I can understand that, Mia thought.
"The way she talks about him," Twyla said, "she loves her grandfather more than her parents or her brother."
"They were that close?" Cye asked.
Joana nodded. "He was the only person in her family that she loved the most."
Silence hung in the air. "When is Ryo coming home?" Mia finally asked.
"He's staying in the Dynasty tonight," said Sage. "If Jessie sees anything like she did before, at least he'll be there to calm her down."
"Let's go back to sleep," Rowen said, "we'll think more clearly in the morning."
Sage was still wide-awake as his three roomies slept. Sage's mind kept going back to Jessie. If the Warlords had arrived at the armory one second later…
The Halo Ronin shuddered at the thought. He turned on his side, facing the wall, trying to fall back to sleep like everyone else in the house, but his anxiety was getting the better of him. Quietly, Sage got out of bed and left the room. He walked down the hall a short distance to Ryo and Jessie's room, and went inside. As Sage moved closer to Jessie's bed, he noticed a lump - the lump turned out to be a person.
"Joana." Sage gently shook the sleeping girl.
"Hmm… wha…?" Joana blinked. "Sage?"
"What are you doing here?"
"Sleeping. Actually I was a few moments ago."
"Go back to your room."
Joana sat up and glared at the blonde. "I was here first, buddy, and you've practically slept in Jessie's bed all week."
"Joana," Sage looked at her, "let's not get into an argument about this."
"Fine. Leave."
"You leave."
"She's my sis."
"You two aren't related."
"So we adopted each other."
"Joana," Sage sighed, "I understand you're worried about her, but-"
"I am beyond worried!" Joana informed him. "My nerves are shot and staying in here is helping me stay calm!"
"Keep your voice down, please," said Sage. "All right, you can stay here tonight." He walked over to Ryo's bed, took the pillow, and switched it with Jessie's. "If I could give you Cye's pillow," Sage grinned, "I would. Good night."
Joana watched him leave the room. Shaking her head, she settled back down and fell asleep.
_____________________________________________
May 16, 2001
Domo arigato for patiently waiting so long and to everyone who helped me. Especially Christine A. Cooney, who sent me an actual pic of the mural from her YST art book.
More wonderful news: I'm graduating on May 31, 2001 with an Associates Degree in General Studies. Hopefully I'll decide soon what to take for my major.
Coming Soon: Part Twenty-one (I have yet to think of a title) - Let's just say that the Warlords weren't the only ones who were controlled by Talpa.