Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ May The Sun Shine Forever ❯ A Letter From One Presumed Dead ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

.:*May The Sun Shine Forever*:.

*Author's Note: Chapter two already! WoW! The rest will probably go slower, since school will be back around the corner. *sigh* Andy, PLEASE write a fanfic! Okay, if some of my notes don't make sense, tell me. *sweatdrop* This fanfic was made to be posted elsewhere, and some of the notes don't make that much sense, unless you've been to that site… Thank you!*

Chapter 2

The next day, the sun shone brightly down on the dojo, playing havoc with Yahiko's training.

"Argh, this is impossible. How can a guy like me get some exercise when the sun's in the way?" Throwing down his practice sword, he walked over to the shade of a nearby tree and lay down for a rest. As he dozed off, a butterfly hovering under the tree decided to do the same. Floating lazily about, it settled on Yahiko's nose and fell asleep, dreaming of pollen and flowers.

Kaoru, having now realized her mistake, was now making up for it by sending Sano and Kenshin off for chores. Sano was still inclined to laugh, but knew better then to do so, and wisely kept his mouth shut for the time being. But as Sano's personality goes, he was bound to have the last word sooner or later.

"Hey Racoon -face!"

*twitchtwitch*

Sano ignored the warning signs, much to the horror of Kenshin, and went on.

"Would you really be that upset if Kenshin was married? It's not like he would marry you, anyway. Who would want to wed an ugly brat like you?"

Kenshin sighed. As the screams and yelps behind him faded off into the distance, he gazed out the window. Kaoru was chasing Sano 'round and 'round as Ayame, Suzume, and Yahiko watched in interest. Sano leaped over the wooden sword on the ground, but when Kaoru came around again, she tripped over it and fell flat on her face.

Sighing yet again, Kenshin went back to washing the laundry. What had Sano said again? Would you really be that upset if Kenshin was married? Would you, Kaoru -dono? Would you? He had been over that so many times now. She was gone. She would never come back. But She still haunted his dreams. Or his nightmares. How many times had he watched Her death now?

"Kenshin!"

With a soft step, Megumi entered brandishing a letter.

"It's for you, Sir Ken."

Waiting patiently for him to open it, she leaned back and surveyed the yard outside. Kaoru and Yahiko were fighting now; Kaoru was blaming him for leaving his sword on the ground. It's a good thing I don't live here, thought Megumi. I'd never stop working. A sharp intake of breath brought her back to the matter at hand.

"Is something the matter, Ken -san," she asked, noting his stiff expression.

Kenshin sighed, his third time in just minutes. He smiled wearily at Megumi.

"It's a letter from the West. There is a police force there who have heard of me and require my help. They wish for me to be there soon, that they do."

Megumi's brow furrowed.

"When do you leave?"

Kenshin set the letter down on the floor, and resumed washing the clothes. A curtain of red hair rose and fell softly in the breeze, hiding the owner from view.

"I will leave tomorrow. I'll be back in a week. Please tell Miss Kaoru for me. De gozaru ne."

Megumi smiled. He was ever so polite. "Of course, Sir Ken."

With a sweep of her robe, she walked out.

Kenshin stared down at the pile of clothes. He took his hands out of the washbasin where he had hid them from the view of Megumi. They were trembling and shaking. He put them to his head, and then his eyes, blocking out what the letter really said. Blocking out who had really sent it. Blocking out the scent.

Dear Kenshin,

Where have you been? I've been waiting for you to return for about a week now, but I've heard no sign from you! Shame on you Kenshin! But do not take it seriously; I would never be mad at you. Every time I correct you, I feel like a mother hen reprimanding her chick. Do come home soon. Your poor wife here is nearly dying of worry.

Your ever-loving wife,

Tomoe

The letter smelled of white plums.