Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ May The Sun Shine Forever ❯ Unraveling the Threads of Time ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Notes: Yeah, I know, the last chapter was sorta choppy. Not the greatest, I can definitely say that. But now, I'm sorry to say, this story's coming to an end. *cringes* Don't hurt me, please! I can still promise at least two more chapters, maybe even three if I want to do an epilogue. *ducks as various kitchen utensils are thrown* Ack! *gets knocked out unconscious*

After regaining consciousness…

Sorry about the long delay! *cringes as various items are thrown* Yes, yes, I know, I've been a bad author. But it's just so hard to finish this story! I hope this chapter keeps you guys satisfied for just a bit longer!

Disclaimer: I do not own Kenshin and the Kenshin-gumi. I only own this margarita… I was reading a magazine today, and I found out that the new show, Danny Phantom, done by the same people who made The Fairly Oddparents, has this one girl character who's into anime! Strange or what? ^-^ Well, we'll just have to see when the show comes out. A few more weeks I think. Now what? Oh yeah, I don't own. *^u^*

R&R: Please read and review, this story's almost over and I have what…no reviews on one site, 15 on another, and I forgot the other number. ^^;;; But I can remember the other number's not that big…

On!

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

.:*May The Sun Shine Forever*:.

By Elementsofmine/elementalspirit125

"Wha…what happened?" Soujiro stood up uneasily, groaning a bit at the new pressure added on his aching heels. Kenshin didn't reply, but choose to instead, apply the same method used to show him the non -exsistent house. He placed his hands on Soujiro, and felt a furious rushing sense inside him, running down his arms, into his fingers, and into Soujiro's mind. While he passed his thoughts onto Soujiro, he felt something prick him from inside his mind. Not now, he replied irritably. I'm busy.

But I am you.

So you are busy too. If you must show me something, show it to me later.

But then you won't have time. I must show you know.

Fine, Kenshin replied, annoyed. You know, today's been really strange, and now I'm talking to myself.

Kenshin felt the voice inside his head smirk. First sign of madness, talking to your self.

I thought you are me.

Second sign of madness, arguing with yourself.

Just show me what you wanted to show me.

This is what Kenshin was shown.

He was falling, falling…

Where am I, he thought.

You are inside yourself.

Oro…

Be quiet, and listen. Listen, and watch…

Kenshin watched. Everything was black, with occasional flecks of light. A sudden rushing from far away brought him to walk to the source. He couldn't really walk, he had no permanent body; it was more of a drift. Coming across the noise, he saw a rip in the air, some black, misty hole that seemed to consume all that came near.

Don't!

Just a bit closer, Kenshin urged. It's there, why not take a look?

No, don't!

But it was too late. Kenshin should've known.

For it wasn't a hole, but a mouth.

Chapter Eleven

Soujiro jerked back from the rurouni's touch.

"Kenshin?" he asked, warily. "What was that? I saw…I saw a hole."

Kenshin was breathing hard, feeling his dry mouth seemingly crumble into nothing.

"It's not a hole," he replied, breaths coming in spurts. "It's a mouth…"

Shuddering, Soujiro stood up, dusting his hands off. "Well, that's not going to help us now. In fact," he said, turning his head to look once more at the house that only they could see. "I'm not quite sure what can or cannot help us anymore."

The house that only they could see.

Even Kenshin knew how absurd everything that had happened to them was. Even if they managed to save Kari and return to their everyday lives, how would either of them ever live normally again?

After knowing that other senses and other worlds existed, would they be able to hide it?

Speaking of hiding…

Kenshin's hand wandered unconsciously back into the pocket of his gi, taking in the cool metal of the locket he had found. For some reason, he didn't want to give it to Soujiro. It probably belonged to Kari, and giving it to Soujiro would only ensure its safe return to the girl. But still, even as some part of him told him it was wrong, he decided to keep quiet about it. Fingering it like a good luck charm, he turned to Soujiro.

"Now what?"

Unfortunately for him, his question's answer came speeding by. Taking both of the men by surprise, they had only the time to fall to the ground to avoid the speeding point slamming out of nowhere.

Soujiro's eyes widened. "Wha…what is that?!"

Looking above at him, Kenshin saw…and knew.

It was an umbrella, white before, now off-yellow with age, decorated with a simple purple border and violet blossoms that adorned the space in-between.

"Tomoe's umbrella…" he breathed. With a sharp turn, the floating umbrella pivoted, and zoomed out back behind the house. Grabbing Soujiro and taking him by the arm, Kenshin ran after the umbrella.

The old umbrella, once used by the quiet woman for tea ceremonies and outdoor walks, raced behind the house.

Turning the house corners, he saw that the umbrella had stopped, and was now hovering, just hidden by the old well. The umbrella gave a shudder, and zoomed forwards again. This time however, it seemed to be stuck on something in the air. Jerking back and forth, Kenshin felt the strangest feeling.

His own body was being ripped at. He felt his whole form seem to stretch back and forth as the umbrella continued yanking on the unknown object. With a final jerk, the umbrella fell to the ground, still once more. Turning his body ever so slightly, as so he could see what the umbrella had hit, he found the point of his dreams.

It was a hole.

The umbrella had ripped a hole in the air!

A large hole, big enough to fit a fully grown man, was stretched out across the sky. From what he could see, all that was in it was pure black nothingness.

Stepping closer to inspect it, he felt a cool breeze spiral its way out of the opening. Small silver threads lined the edges. When he touched them, he felt them vibrate slightly, warm but not warm at the same time.

Bringing his face closer to them, he felt them prickle his nose. With a sneeze, he saw them scatter into the sky, twirling in non-existent wind and then falling to the ground. Walking up to the threads, he saw that they had all come together to form a sort of box. When he reached inside the box, he felt his hand go in. Shocked, he quickly drew his hand out, and brought his attention back to the hole inside the well.

Soujiro was also examining the hole. "It's Time…" he whispered. "Look…" Breaking a stick in his hands, he held the two pieces together and tied them with a piece of thread. In instants, the two pieces flowed together again.

Kenshin placed one of his hands on the edge of the hole.

Time… he thought, amazed. These are the threads of Time…

A sharp intake of breath disturbed his thinking. Soujiro had also come by, and was also inspecting the thin, spider silk threads. "Look," he breathed. "Something's wrong with it."

Tiny, almost unnoticeable purple stains coated the ends of some of the strands.

Turning the strands over and over in his hands, Kenshin's eyes wandered back to the hole.

Without warning, he took a deep breath, and to the amazement of Soujiro, he dived headfirst into the pitch-black hole.

His dream was back. Only this time…

…it was real.

"Kenshin? Kenshin!"

Spinning around, he found himself facing Soujiro. Panting slightly, Soujiro ran to catch up with him.

"Kenshin, this is different from your dream, right? In your dream, I remember that you had no body. But here we are, still in our bodies."

Trying to see above the black nothingness, Kenshin gave up and turned to Soujiro. "Why'd you follow me here?" His voice was harsh, a bit too so for his liking. Soujiro was surprised, stepping back.

Remembering his motive for diving in right after Kenshin, he walked back, keep his head high and eyes straight.

"I want to save Kari too."

Kenshin knew what he felt, but resisted against Soujiro's coming.

'Get out of here. It could be dangerous."

Soujiro stood his ground, eyes flashing dangerously. Kenshin was surprised to see that a glimmer of the Tenken still remained. Soujiro repeated his statement.

"I want to save Kari too."

Finding his voice after hearing Soujiro's declaration, Kenshin replied steadily,

"Then I will too."

With a slam, Kenshin felt his body shift again. They were still in the same black void, but it was different now. He was solid, he was ready.

With a look at Soujiro, he saw that the Tenken was back. With his smiling composure and cool readiness, Soujiro already had his sword out and ready.

Fingering his own sword, Kenshin knew he was ready.

They were ready.

And so was the figure that immediately appeared a few feet from them.

Let's…

…go.

With a scream, Kenshin and Soujiro charged.

The battle was on!

Reviews:

Fanfiction.net-

Xenogenesis (^u^)

Jaapan_puppy

Mystic-fox

anonymous one

Dark-sephiroth2

Wistful-Eyes

Kasiuke

Animespiral.com-

queenanneus

Mediaminer.org-

It's acting up AGAIN, no idea whatsoever.