Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ My beloved Sibling ❯ What a commotion! ( Chapter 4 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

A/N: Chapter four…what do you think?
Disclaimer: Er…just look at the previous chapter pls.
 
Chapter IV
 
The weeks passed by without any significant event, and both Kaoru and Enishi seemed to maintain their distance at school and at home. Well, it was quite easy…they never really talk at all…
She shrugged it all off.
Her mother came to see her as she was working on her assignment.
“Kao-chan..busy?”
“Mm? Oh, Kaa-san…no. I'm not..” she turned around to face her cheerful-looking face.
“Well…I'm going to have to ask you a favor…you see…Kendo-san just had been given a week allowance from his firm…and…since we haven't had our honeymoon..”, she halted there.
Kaoru smiled. “Sure, it won't be a problem, and I know how to cook a thing or two”, she said.
Her mother's face beamed, “I know I can rely on you, Kao-chan….then we'll be leaving tomorrow night for Kyoto, we'll stay for four days there..”, she continued.
Kaoru's eyes went wide at that.. `That means.I'm just going to be here alone with him? and with little Tomoe..she quickly added.
“It's not a problem, Kaa-san..”, she softly repeated, more to herself.
 
----------------------
 
Her bedroom was knocked second time that day, late in the evening. Kaoru just finished tucking in the five year old Tomoe into her bed after telling her a story to lull her to sleep.
“Come in”, she said.
A mass of silver spiky hair in cool disarray was immediately seen.
“Tou-san asked if we have a camera they could use for their trip”, he asked civilly.
“Mmh…let me look for it”, she replied, promptly opening a couple of her drawers to finally pull out a camera in its black leather pouch. She stared at it lovingly, before she took it out from the pouch, checking it.
“Ah, it still has a few left..”, she said, referring to the unused film.
“Let me take your picture to finish it off”, he quickly snatched the camera from her hand.
“Hmph…better do it nicely”, she said, sitting down on her study chair.
“Ready…one..two..three…” the camera's button was pressed down.
“Hai..” In front of him, the face of his step sister transformed into a very beautiful girl.
He put down the camera and rubbed his eyes in confusion.
“You done yet?”, the bored-looking Kaoru asked flatly.
Taken aback, he looked at the camera…”Un…one more”
“Be quick”, she said.
“One, two..th….err” His voice halted mid-air as the camera's flash snapped her picture.
“Hai”, she smiled very beautifully, rendering him speechless.
“Huh? what `er'?”, she asked.
“…”
He was damned to say it out loud, but he couldn't help it.
“Un..you look rather…different. I'd say…pretty. when I took you picture”, he said, allowing half-truth to roll down from his mouth.
She was surprised at this. “Uh…er..my father was a photographer.. journalist...and he always took my photos…I suppose...”, she said.
“Really?” this was new to him.
“Let's try again then…. Smile”, he said, hiding the camera. This time, he saw her expression looked rather funny instead of pretty.
He rolled his eyes. “I guess you look like a clown”…he added insultingly.
 
She wasn't listening, fully absorbed in her own world, while mumbling “Yeah….until he's got too high of an ambition to go off to some mountains to take picture of certain landscape…”, her teeth clenched tightly. “ Well, it was fine by me if he wanted to do that…the problem is. he never came back…and was reported dead instead…it was bad…mom was crying all the time. as his inheritance of various pots and china came to us…and I..I grew up to be a much mature person..now, do you have a problem with that?”, she suddenly glared at him.
“N..no..”, he said, surprised at her outburst.
She took hold of his collar dangerously, eyeing him suddenly... his turquoise eyes were quizzical.
“Good…now, if you want to see a pretty angel face, go and see Kaa-san”, she kicked him out of her room then.
 
Looking around carefully to see if anyone's around, she fished out her rubbish bin into which she dumped that laminated photo of his a few weeks ago. “Well…he does have eyes like Tou-san”, she smiled sheepishly, smoothing down a few creases on the edges of the photo, and carefully tucked it back into her wallet.
 
Little Tomoe was standing next to her, her small hands frantically waving at the black sedan that carried their parents to Kyoto. Kaoru was waving at them too, as she noticed from the corner of her eyes, her arrogant step brother stepped in to the house, looking rather annoyed.
 
She sighed, and Tomoe-chan looked up at her.
“What's up, Kaoru nee-san?, she asked her.
Kaoru gulped nervously. ”Er…no, Tomoe-Chan. was just wondering. is your brother always that..moody?”, she said.
“Aw…no, Nishi Ni-chan was angry coz' dad won't see his upcoming fight..”
For a five- year old, Tomoe was quite a smart cookie.
“Nani?”, Kaoru coughed in surprise
“Unn…to..tour…something”, she seemed to be thinking hard.
“Ah…tournament..”, Kaoru suddenly remembered that the jerk (so she called him since that fateful day) was involved in some martial arts class.
“Yeah…we can go see it”, her cute voice piped in.
“No way!”, she rejected flatly.
The little girl shrugged her shoulder “O-kay..”, as she turned around to step into the house.
“Wait Tomoe-chan……let's go see it..”, she smiled lopsidedly.
The girl just rolled her eyes.