Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Only A Moment ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Well, you know.
_________________________________________________________________ _______
 
She was a man. Or so he thought.
 
The first thing Kenshin saw when he stepped in the dojo was a person wearing a gi and hakama - traditionally men's clothing - chasing a little boy around. The sweaty, rambunctious, and rowdy girl was the least of what he expected his calm, prideful friend's daughter to be. She was yelling at the top of her lungs and bashed the boy's head with her bokken every time a rude comment was blurted.
 
“Five hundred more swings, Yahiko-chan!” she yelled.
 
“Don't call me CHAN, busu!” the boy yelled back. Once more, the stick came crashing down on his head.
 
Tetsuo was leaning against the doorframe for support. Although he was tired, his eyes still shone with pride. “Tadaima,” he called quietly.
 
The boy and the girl froze mid-action and looked in his direction. A wide smile spread on the girl's face that seemed to brighten the entire room. She threw her stick down and ran to greet her father. Even if she seemed like a rough creature, Kenshin could tell she hugged her father with a most gentle embrace.
 
“You were gone long,” she said as she looked up at her father.
 
“Gomen, little one,” Tetsuo turned in Kenshin's direction. “I want you to meet a good friend of mine. Kaoru, this is Himura Kenshin. Himura, this is my daughter, Kamiya Kaoru.”
 
The two bowed to each other respectfully. Kenshin slapped on a smile to cover up his lingering shock. “It is nice to meet you, that it is.”
 
“It is nice to meet you, Himura-san,” Kaoru repeated genuinely.
 
“San is not necessary, that it isn't. Kenshin is fine.”
 
Kaoru nodded in agreement. “Then call me Kaoru. Will you be staying with us tonight?”
 
“Yes,” the redhead answered. “If that is okay with you.”
 
Kaoru smiled. “Of course! Why wouldn't it be? You both must be hungry. I'll make you some dinner.”
 
“Oh, we ate!” Tetsuo said hurriedly before she could rush away. “Why don't you finish up with Yahiko-kun, and make something for the maid and the bodyguard when you're done.”
 
“Hai, otousan!” Kaoru resumed her work with Yahiko, while Kenshin followed Tetsuo to the main house.
 
“She is a good teacher,” Tetsuo sighed as he slid a door open.
 
“I see, that I do.”
 
“She is the assistant master of Kamiya Kasshin Ryu. She tried to teach in my place after I became ill, but not many people want a female sensei. Foolish ignorants,” he muttered. “Yahiko was a pick-pocket before Kaoru found him. She forced him to stay in the dojo and learn Kamiya Kasshin Ryu. She has a soft spot for children, you know.”
 
Kenshin's mind reflected back to the image of Kaoru whacking Yahiko with her wooden sword. “I-I see, that I do.”
 
They walked down a hall leading to several rooms. Tetsuo stopped in front of one and opened the door. “Here is your room for tonight. Make yourself comfortable. Don't hesitate to ask me or my daughter if you need anything.”
 
“If it isn't too much of a problem, I would like to take a bath, that I would.”
 
“Of course. Let me prepare it for you. It's out this way.” Tetsuo took Kenshin to the bathhouse.
 
“Kamiya-san, I can take care of the preparations, that I can. Go and rest. We have a long trip ahead of us, that we do.”
 
“Arigatou, Himura. I have some things to take care of first. Help yourself to anything you need, neh?”
 
“Arigatou,” Kenshin bowed, “for you hospitality.”
 
“Rest well.”
 
Kenshin watched the older man walk away. He then walked to the well, filled some buckets, and returned to the bathhouse to fill the tub. He opened the door and was greeted by a loud, “Oi! Oi!”
 
Kenshin quickly shut the door. “Gomen nasai!” He called from the outside. “I didn't know anyone was in here, that I didn't.”
 
Not long after did the door fling open. A tall man with brown spiky hair and a red bandana stood in the doorframe. He only had his pants on. “Don't worry about it, I was just getting out.” He stepped outside in his bare feet. “So, I'm guessing you're Jou-chan's bodyguard.”
 
“Hai. And you must be the bodyguard Miroshi-san sent.”
 
“You got that right . . . Battousai.”
 
Kenshin's eyes widened in surprise. He put the water buckets down.
 
The taller man smirked. “Don't worry, your secret is safe with me. Well, it's not much of a secret, but hey.” He slipped on his shirt. “It's good that Jou-chan has someone like you to protect her. I've only known her for about three days and she's already someone special to me. I don't know what it is about her. Maybe it's the way she does her hair.” He shrugged. “I'm Sagara Sanosuke.”
 
“Himura Kenshin.”
 
“Yeah, I know. I used to be a gangster known as Zanza. You heard of me?”
 
Kenshin nodded. He really had no clue.
 
Sano's chest puffed up. “Yeah, I was pretty tough back then. Anyway, I learned a lot of things about a lot of people, which is turning out to be pretty handy now.”
 
The redhead smiled. “I see, that I do.”
 
“I had a huge sword called the zanbatou. It would put your butter knife of a sword to shame. Ah well, it's a pity I'm not a gangster anymore. It would have been really fun to fight you with my zanbatou.” Sanosuke suddenly went into a fighting stance. “But my fists are just as good. Wanna give it a try?”
 
Kenshin innocently put up his hands. “Ano, it's okay, that it is.”
 
“Sano!”
 
The two men turned their heads. Kaoru had her hands on her hips with an annoyed look on her face. “Stop trying to show off and let the man take a bath!”
 
Sanosuke relaxed and scratched the back of his head. “Already practicing to be a nagging wife?”
 
Kaoru suddenly rushed up to Sanosuke and seemed to loom over him. “What did you say?!”
 
Sano grabbed her in a headlock and began to walk towards the house. “So what's for dinner, Jo-chan? I'm awfully hungry.”
 
“Mou. We just ate dinner.”
 
“I didn't really eat it.”
 
“Why not?”
 
“Cause you cooked.”
 
“WHAT?!”
 
Kenshin watched the two bicker away then turned his attention to his bath. After he washed up, he laundered his clothes, hung them up, and donned an extra set he carried with him. He lingered outside the house to let the cool night air dry his hair. He began reviewing the days events in his mind, another habit he had. It was very good to see his old friend again. Yet he was hoping that this `bend in the road' would not be a regretful one. He wasn't worrying about falling in love. Over ten years as a rurouni allowed him to encounter many beautiful women. Some whom had tried to seduce him. Couple who had fallen in love with him. Few he had been attracted to. But never loved. Except one. They all fell short when he compared them to her. Thankfully the Kamiya girl was nothing like her either. Well, she actually was like no one he had ever met. She was boyish, outgoing, and fiery. Her attitude was lively, perhaps even refreshing. She would make an interesting travel companion. No, he had nothing to worry about.
 
“Kenshin?”
 
He turned around to see Kaoru in her sleeping yukata, her hair braided down her back. Apparently she was ready to go to sleep.
 
“Is everything okay?” she asked.
 
“Hai, Kaoru-dono. I'm sorry for troubling you to come outside, that I am.”
 
“It was no problem,” she said pleasantly, “I enjoy the night air too. Especially a night as beautiful as this.”
 
“Yes,” he agreed.
 
“My father told me that you will be our bodyguard to Nagasaki.”
 
“It is what he wishes.”
 
“That's very kind of you to do this for him.”
 
“As to you,” Kenshin said honestly, “ it is very kind of you to marry for your family's sake.”
 
“It has nothing to do with kindness,” she said, her voice quiet. “It is my duty as a daughter to provide for my family in whichever way I can. If anything, I am being honored to take up this responsibility.”
 
Kenshin was surprised at her admittance. “You do not regret the marriage?”
 
“No. People always talk about romance and love, but I think those are only in stories. My betrothed is kind, so I will learn to love him in time. I don't need poetic words or fancy gifts. I only ask for a wise and caring man. Someone to guide me with a gentle hand. I'm only seventeen. I still have so much to learn.”
 
He respected her maturity. “You are looking forward to your marriage, then?”
 
“Yes, I guess I am. Other than otousan, my family doesn't really care for me. My father is the firstborn is his family, so he was pressured to have a son for his firstborn. As you can see, I'm not a boy, so they think that I am useless. I try to prove them wrong over and over, but they never seem to be satisfied.” Her tone was so forlorn, Kenshin just had to say something encouraging.
 
“When I first saw you, I thought you were a man, that I did.”
 
Out of nowhere, Kaoru pulled out a bokken and bashed Kenshin over the head. “Baka,” she fumed, “that was not what I was trying to say.”
 
“I am sorry, that I am,” Kenshin apologized jovially.
 
Kaoru looked to the stars. “Otousan tells me that he is proud of me whether I marry Miroshi-san or not, but he is not the only family member I care about. My whole family is depending on me.” She looked down and blushed. “I'm sorry. I don't normally burden strangers with my thoughts.“
 
“It is no burden, Kaoru-dono, that it isn't. And I hope that we will be friends instead of strangers.” He didn't know what made him say that.
 
“Hai!” Kaoru smiled at him. “And if I am being a burden, do tell me. I know he can't help it, but I wish otousan could trust me in a situation like this. I hate thinking that I am my father's burden. I can protect myself. He shouldn't have to worry about bodyguards, or even my future for that matter.” She paused to look at Kenshin. “I'm sorry. That was probably awkward for you. Please don't think I want you out of a job.”
 
Kenshin didn't think it was important to tell her he wasn't being paid. Instead, he replied with a gentle smile. “Every good father worries about his daughter, no matter how capable she or anyone else is of taking care of her.”
 
“Yes,” Kaoru said softly to the moon, “I love you, otousan.”
 
Then, for the first time, Kenshin noticed the flawlessness of her skin, the blue of her eyes, her small but strong frame. Her voice caressed him with the sweetest of touches, and suddenly he wished that it was his name she spoke on her lips instead of her father's. What spell is being cast on me? Disturbed, Kenshin turned his back to Kaoru.
 
“We should get some rest now, that we should. The day starts early for the both of us.”
 
“Oh, yes.” Kaoru was embarrassed for keeping him up with her pointless blabbering. “Good night.”
 
“Good night.”