Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ The Dead Never Stay Dead ❯ Kenshin's Defeat and Shurra's Downfall ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Part One- Kenshin's death and Shuura's downfall

Disclaimer: I know you all must get pretty tired seeing these at every fanfic, but it is just something that just has to be done. I first and foremost acknowledge Nobuhiro Watsuki as the RK creator. Any of her characters, their situations, and etc. that appear in my story are all a part of my conspiracy to entertain readers one webpage at a time. Bwuhahahaha! (Evil crazed laughter)^.^.

A/N

Japanese vocabulary can be found at the top of the page. Most of them you guys probably already know but just in case I'll try to do this for my other chapters.

Vocab…

jou-chan= Sano's nickname for Kaoru; "little woman" or "missy"

baka= stupid, idiot

oro face= how Kenshin's face usually looks when he's oros.

ano= um

koishii= darling, beloved

anata= dear, love (as a noun)

masaka= it can't be, I don't believe it

aishitero= i love you

oi= hey

buso= ugly, hag; Yahiko's name for Kaoru

ne= right

-chan= a suffix meaning cute or little

tori atama= chicken head, Sano's nickname

kisama= you...! (strong, curse-like)

ki= the Japanese term for "life force"

"_" dialogue

'_' thoughts

He's out, he's free

I'm no longer me

My hand grabs my hilt after observing all the blood that I spilt

My jaw clenches tight in preparation for the fight

All my eyes see is red

I'm about to make the living dead

Battousai is out of his cage

He is throwing a bloodthirsty rage

He's going to kill just for the thrill

Now that he is freed

He is going to enjoy watching everyone suffer and bleed

This is my destiny; my fate

Now that he's out it's too late

"Himura Kenshin," Shuura drawled out, "you are the only person that has ever beat me at fighting yet you let me live. That shall be your undoing." The only response she got out of him was the deadening of his eyes as the poison slowly progressed in him. "Of course I can't just let you go." she continued, "For all I know it could have been a fluke. So to settle it once and for all we'll fight… to the death."

Kenshin looked straight at her, "I don't want to fight you. I don't do that anymore." He stated simply. "I just don't want to hurt you."

Shuura answered haughtily, "Well it's my boat and you're my prisoner so therefore you'll have to do whatever I say. Anyways, I think you should be more afraid of your well-being than mine. I wouldn't think too high and mighty of myself if I was you. Consequently you're on my turf in domain so you are at my mercy. "

Kenshin looked searchingly into Shuura's eyes trying to find a way out of this mess. He saw nothing but the cold-heartedness of a person gone bad. He sighed and bowed his head his bangs masking his fluttering emotions of defeat and disappointment that shadowed his face. "As you wish." He said softly his voice nearly inaudible.

The poison was getting to him and Battousai was waking up. If he put his guard down for one second he will come out. Shuura instantly drew her sword and charged straight for him. Kenshin barely had time to pull out his own to counterattack. Above the roaring of the ocean waves and the loud uproar of the crew, all you can hear is the clashing of swords and the occasional slicing of flesh. 'I don't want to hurt her.' Kenshin thought, 'But I have to end this and return to my friends wait, no, return to my family.' The image of Shuura was becoming unclear and unfocused. 'It must be the poison.' He thought logically, 'I guess it means that I don't have much time.' He sidestepped an attack that just missed him by a hair. Kenshin stumbled and almost lost his balanced after jumping out of the way of yet another deadly move. 'It seems that my reaction time, speed, and coordination skills are all slipping.' He realized. 'They are all the basis of most of my sword techniques. I can't keep on defending; battles don't get solved that way. Yet if I try to move on the offensive I might lose control and become Battousai.'

"Kenshin!" someone called out. He glanced back distracted. It was Kaoru-dono, Yahiko, and Sanosuke. Shuura saw an opening at this most vulnerable time of his and went for it. She cut him from his ribcage to his navel. Kenshin gasped out in pain. The pain caused him to forget himself and let his guard slip. That was all it took. He became infuriated from the stench of his own blood. His eye color swirled until it became indistinguishable. His eyes grew hard and malicious changing from the rouroni's clear violet eyes to the ominous glowing golden yellow ones of the battousai's. He was now Battousai the Manslayer.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

They finally made it. They can now focus on defeating Shuura and her ruffians and rescuing Kenshin. Once aboard they had to find Kenshin but that didn't prove too difficult. A blur of pink and red gave away his location. "Kenshin!" Kaoru couldn't help crying out. Kenshin stopped fighting to look at her. Before either of them realized it, Shuura slashed Kenshin in the side. His face contorted in pain and Kaoru's heart contracted. His eyes Kenshin's gentle, serene, beautiful violet eyes turned into the golden eyes of the bloodthirsty Battousai.

"It's all my fault." Kaoru thought, "It's my fault once again. It was my fault that he got forced on this boat and that's he's now fighting Shuura as the dreaded Battousai."

"Jou-chan," Sano called out startling her out of her reverie. Even admist all this danger he still manages to call her by her nickname. "Look behind you!" Kaoru nimbly dodged two of Shurra's henchmen who were charging straight towards her. They kept running and then they flipped over the side railing splashing into the murky waters below. Men were coming in from all directions; when one fell three instantly took his place. Kaoru, Yahiko, and Sano had their hands full. They didn't have time to fight and worry about the Shuura / Battousai battle at the same time. Kaoru swung her bokken injuring yet another attacker but two more popped up out of nowhere. She risked looking back at Sano and Yahiko. Amidst a throng of swordsmen they were fighting back to back. 'Mou, will we be able to rescue Kenshin before it's too late?' Kaoru speculated as she blocked an onslaught of multiple attacks.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

'He seems more dangerous and he's making more mistakes because of it and the poison.' Shurra observed. 'His eyes they're a different color and they are harsher, meaner. It's as if he's a whole different person. I heard of the legendary Battousai during the revolution. Could this possibly be him? It has to be for there aren't many people in this world who have red hair a cross scar face with golden eyes. It must be him, he must be Hitokiri Battousai.' Kenshin's breathing became labored and his movements sluggish as if he was fighting in a sea of mud. He bit back the pain as his numerous injuries complained. It was a struggle to just lift his sword much less battle with it. His attacks were becoming predictable and were easily dodged but that didn't mean he wasn't a formidable foe. After all he had the Battousai on his side. He felt relieved when his sword met flesh and angered when his moves were easily countered. They both stopped to catch their breath while eyeing each other warily. They gathered up their remaining strength to make this round their last. This round will decide once and for all who the better fighter is and who will live in triumph or die in agonizing defeat.

They flew at each other and their surroundings faded to black. All they could see were each other. All they could hear was the desire to prevail resonating in their ears. They clashed sword meeting sword, metal against metal with neither adversary gaining or losing any leverage. Just when Kenshin was beginning to have the upper hand, Shurra's took out a concealed dagger and stabbed at Kenshin's new still bleeding wound. He tried to evade this attack but his timing was too slow. He doubled over in agony clenching his teeth so as not to cry out in pain.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Kaoru felt it rather than saw it. She had to get to Kenshin now there's not much time. She struggled through the multitude of fighters immediately striking down anyone who opposed her. Then she saw them. They were oblivious to everyone but each other.

She saw Kenshin suffering on the ground and a triumphant Shurra with a maniacal expression on her face raise her sword above her and…No! She wouldn't make it in time. "Kenshin!" she shouted desperately. "Kenshin, look out!" Kenshin looked up in time to see the edge of a blood-splattered sword rapidly coming towards him aimed at his throat. He tried to dodge it, but the sword penetrated a more critical point…his heart.

To Kaoru it was as if it was all happening in slow motion. She saw him attempt to dodge the blow but either he was too slow or the sword was too close because it plunged into his heart. She rushed toward him. "Kenshin, nooooo!" she shouted brokenly her throat clogged with unshed tears.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Sano and Yahiko knew something wasn't right. They looked around but Kaoru wasn't with them. Suddenly a shout cut through the air. They knew without a doubt that it had to be her. They frantically fought their way through the crowd towards where Kaoru hopefully was. The scene they stumbled upon was horrific.

They witness Shuura withdraw sword that was skewered into Kenshin's heart. Kaoru ran up to Kenshin and just collapsed on him. Kenshin weakly gathered Kaoru up in his arms, heedless of the piercing pain it was causing him. "Oh Kenshin," she sobbed into his bloodied chest, "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. Please forgive me. I didn't make it in time and it's all my fault that this happened." She felt a hand grasp her wrist and looked up to see Kenshin's eyes go from amber to amethyst; from Battousai to Rurouni.

"Kaoru-dono," he said weakly, "don't cry." Kenshin tenderly wiped away the tears that were rapidly falling down her face. "It's not your fault. Sessha wants you to be happy. Please take good care of Sanosuke and Yahiko for me."

A distressed and sadden Kaoru was seen shaking her head in adamant refusal. "Stop it Kenshin. Kenshin no baka. Stop talking like that. You're not going to die on me, you hear? We're going to get you help and then you'll be good as new."

Kenshin only smiled, fondly reminded of how stubborn Kaoru could be. "Don't worry, Kaoru." he said gently "We're going to see each other again so please be happy. If not for yourself then for me."

Kaoru pulled away from Kenshin at arms length, realizing that he dropped the honorific that he so blatantly usually adds to her name. "Say it Kenshin. Say it again."

For a moment he looked confused and gave her his oro face, "Ano, we're going to see each other again?" He repeated questionably.

Kaoru shook her head, "No, the part where you said my name."

Kenshin smiled in understandment, "Kaoru, my beloved, my dear, Kaoru."

She smiled contented for awhile. Then the rest of his previous words sunk in. "Be happy? Be happy!" she repeated incredulously. "How can you ask that of me? I can never be happy without you Kenshin, never." She declared forcibly.

Kenshin only smiled tiredly at her. He just felt so weary and he wanted so much to rest his eyes just for a minute but he was afraid if he did he might not wake up. "Koishii, promise me that you'll live. Live for me at least. I want you to find joy in your life. I lived for your joy and I died for it as well. Live for me anata, live for me."

Kaoru slipped out of his embrace to gather him up in her own arms. "How can I be happy with you gone?" She questioned her voice muffled by his hair she buried her face in. She finally accepted that he was dying and wouldn't be with her much longer. "And tell me why do I deserve happiness when your death was all my fault?"

"Kaoru, look at me." He ordered. When she didn't comply he lifted her chin and stared intensely into her eyes. 'I can just drown in them.' He thought absently. "You can be happy by making me happy. To make me happy all you have to do is live. Live and you will soon rediscover the happiness that you thought died when I did. Time may not heal these wounds but it will make it bearable. Keep that in mind koishii, keep that in mind. And don't you dare tell me that you don't deserve happiness because you do." He raised his index finger against her lips to stop any protests. "You deserve it Kaoru because I love you." Before she could think of any replies to his statements, he reached up and sealed his words with a kiss. This kiss answered all that was left unsaid and more. This kiss was a kiss of goodbye, a farewell kiss. Kenshin sighed the overwhelming feeling of lethargy overcoming him at last. During that kiss he drew in his final breath and his soul left this world at last.

Kaoru felt Kenshin sag against her. She broke away from him and felt her heart still. He wasn't breathing. She frantically searched for signs of life in him but it was all to no avail. Kaoru's eyes widened and a torrent of tears rushed forth. "Masaka" she whispered to herself in disbelief. "No! No! No! No!" With each word her voice raised up in volume.

She felt a hand on her shoulder. Kaoru looked up to see a compassionate Sano and a grief stricken Yahiko by her. "Jou-chan" he said simply not knowing any words to ease her pain. Yahiko lowered his tear stained face the shadows hiding it from the others view. He felt ashamed for being too weak, of being unable to help Kenshin like when Kenshin helped him months ago when they first met. For once in his life he had nothing to say.

Kaoru looked up to her two companions foe consolation and some well placed words to soothe her crying heart. "This wasn't supposed to happen. We were supposed to come in and rescue him and everything will turn out alright. Where did we go wrong? Tell me where did we go wrong?"

She turned and looked at Kenshin accusingly. "You weren't supposed to die on me. I'll never forgive you. I- I'll hate you, I will I swear it." Her voice turned desperate as her words fell on deaf ears. "Don't you dare die on me. Don't you leave me. I just couldn't bear it if you do. Why did you have to leave me Kenshin, why?" She tightly hugged Kenshin's lifeless body to her and lightly kissed his cold, dead lips that were devoid of any warmth. She slowly leaned in, her mouth grazing on one of his ears as the stray hairs by it tickled her sensitive nose. "Aishitero, my love, aishitero." She murmured hoping that those words would somehow be able to reach Kenshin so that he'll know how she really felt about him. She gently laid him on the ground tenderly tucking back some fly away hair strands from his face. "It's sad" she thought out loud to herself, "how something I yearned for so much had to come at such a price." She looked up to Sano. "I would've rather have had him live hating me than die loving me. This is all my fault you know. If only…" she smiled up at him the gesture not quite reaching her eyes.

"Dammit Kaoru, stop blaming yourself!" Sano exploded not knowing any other way to get through to her. Kaoru's fake smile slipped from her face and the irises of her reddened eyes widened slightly. Sano went on more gently, "It was his choice, Jou-chan. You didn't force him to go with Shuura, he went on his own. The choices we make in this world are not the fault of the people we make them for but the fault of our own. It was his choice so therefore it was his fault and don't you go tell me otherwise. So don't lay the blame on yourself, okay? It was his fault you got that, his fault and no one else's."

Kaoru nodded her head and felt a huge burden slide off her shoulders. "Thank you Sano. I think I really needed that." She embraced Sano letting herself get lost in his warmth. Another pair of arms came around them. Kaoru looked down to see Yahiko tightly gripping them both.

"Oi, buso" he said in gruff tone. "Just because Kenshin's gone doesn't mean you'll want us gone too, ne?"

Kaoru nodded her head in confirmation. "I wouldn't dream of it." She said reassuringly. She looked adoringly at her friends, her fighting partners, her brothers, her family. Now more than ever they'll need to be together. "But how will we survive. Will we be able to make it?"

Sano looked down at Kaoru noticing the uncertainty that was in her voice. "Of course we'll be able to." Yahiko stated matter- of- factly. "We'll survive by living, living one day at a time." Kaoru smiled letting it reach her eyes this time. For a second there he almost sounded like Kenshin. 'They'll survive and I'll try to do what Kenshin asked of me-live.'

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

A sudden movement caught Kaoru's eyes. It was Shuura and she was attempting to get away on a small boat that was hanging on the side of the ship. Kaoru broke up the embrace to confront her. 'She's not getting away that easily.' She thought grimly. "Shuura, stop right where you are." She commanded. "You aren't leaving here unless you are able to defeat me."

Shuura turned around amused. "Are you challenging me? If the fabled Battousai couldn't defeat me what makes you think you, a mere slip of a girl, can ever accomplish what he failed at?" But at seeing Kaoru's determined look and the hardened of her eyes filled fathomless with pained emotions, she consented. "Well since I doubt I can change your mind then alright. Defeating those weaker than me was always my favorite past time."

With a strangled shout Kaoru charged at her. Adrenaline was pumping into her blood and an immense increase in power and strength made her feel as if she was unstoppable. She was doing this for her beloved and all the other people Shuura and her men may have killed before. With that in mind Kaoru charged on.

"Kaoru, nooo! Don't do it!" Yahiko yelled out to her. He started to run off and stop her but he felt a resistance holding him back. It was Sano. "Let me go," Yahiko cried out struggling to get out of his grasp. "I've got to help Kaoru before it's too late." 'Or before she winds up like Kenshin and I'll be alone again.' He thought on the side.

"Yahiko, listen to me." Sano reasoned. This is something that she just has to do more for her peace of mind than for anything else. She has to see this through on her own whether we like it or not." Yahiko stopped struggling and kept looking at Sano and the ensuing battle between Shuura and Kaoru. He then nodded his head in compliance.

"Yeah for once you're right, surprisingly." Yahiko said. "But that doesn't mean I like it." Yahiko sighed despairingly and hung his head.

Sano looked at his bent form for a minute or so. 'This kid sure has grown up a lot.' He went on in a lighter tone hoping to lift the mood. "Come on Yahiko-chan, let's go find some of Shuura's men and teach them how real guys fight."

Yahiko looked up at him an eager smile alighting on his face. "Yeah let's go kick some bad guy- hey tori atama did you just call me chan? You did didn't you! Why why kisama! Oh I'm so gonna…!" Yahiko immediately latched onto Sano's head, gnawing on his porcupine hair.

Sano sighed and slowly walked away from the arising fight towards some shady looking characters situated in the back. 'Then again I could be wrong. This kid may be still as immature as ever.'

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

'How is this possible?' Shuura thought. 'How can I be losing to this this wench whose only weapon of choice is an old worn bamboo stick?' Shuura was knocked out of her musings with a smart blow to her stomach almost knocking the breath out of her. She painfully got back on her feet and a smirk filtered across her face. 'I guess the battousai took more out of me than I thought.'

Kaoru kept coming at Shuura her battle ki was like a whirlwind of rage and grief. While Shuura blocked one attack, Kaoru was already carrying out the next one. She then changed tactics and started to pepper Shuura with numerous ever varying assaults. This caught her off guard but she was soon able to retaliate and in the process she broke Kaoru's bokken cleanly in half with on sure sweep. So caught up in the elation from pulling this off she failed to notice her opponent's viper like hands swipe her sword from right under her eyes. 'Oh well it's not likely that she knows how to use it. But since she has it in her possession I better be on my guard. It is after all a very sharp katana.'

All of a sudden the broken bokken that was forgotten in Kaoru's other hand aimed straight for the back of Shuura's locked knees. It hit the target causing the ground flying from beneath Shuura. The compact of falling left her a little winded. Looking up from where she was she gazed into a pair of fiery ice, blue eyes that had her own sword poised at the base of her neck. She sighed admitting her defeat. She smiled to herself enjoying the irony of it all. Here she was the great and all powerful Shuura who beat many strong fighters including the legendary Battousai, laying at the feet of this wisp of a girl who defeated her by just the use of her bokken. Now suddenly irritated at herself for being beaten so easily she spat out acidly to the victor, "Well if you're going to kill me then kill me already, now's a good time as any."

She felt the cold metal tip of the blade mildly slide across her throat before being removed. A thin trail of crimson slowly cascaded down her neck. Shuura closed her eyes and her body tensed, expecting to feel the metallic blade cut through her flesh making a fatal wound. She waited and waited and…nothing? She shot open her eyes just in time to see Kaoru toss her sword over board.

"I won't kill you." Kaoru informed her. "It's not for your sake but for Kenshin and my morals." She turned and gazed awhile upon Kenshin's body. She turned back her eyes blazing with an uncontrollable fury and melancholy. "But I hope you will come to regret your actions. How could you do this? Are you too proud that you would exact a murderous revenge on someone who beat you but had no desire to kill you? Do you have such a little regard for human life that you will kill people just to prove that you are the best? She pointed her finger at Kenshin's corpse her eyes belying the emotions that were running through her. "Look at him! Just look at him! He had so much in store for him but you had to end it for him. Why, tell me why! May he be the last image in your mind as you go to sleep at night and be the first vision in your head when you wake up each day! My Kenshin is gone because of you. And me and so many others will mourn his death. Life will never be the same because I loved him and when you killed him, you killed a part of me." Kaoru sank to her knees unable bear the emotions that were threatening to overwhelm her. Shuura looked on at her for once in her life feeling emotions unknown to her- shame and regret.

A/N

Well how was it? Reviews please and thank you for that's what motivates me. More to come and I will update soon hopefully.