Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ The Dead Never Stay Dead ❯ Prologue ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: The Dead Never Stay Dead

Author: Kuroi Tenshi

Genre: Drama/Romance/Supernatural/Angst/Tragedy/and many more that I'm too lazy to list at the moment

Rating: PG for now

Summary: Amidst a tiring battle, Kenshin loses his life to another. Grief-stricken, the Kenshin-gumi head on home, but nobody feels as low as the heartbroken Kaoru does. But low and behold, Kenshin is given another chance. The catch is that it's in another body! Will Kaoru and the others find out that Kenshin is back with them at last? And look out for some appearances made by some of the beloved villains from the show!

Warning: Death of a character and spoiler of an episode

Pairings: Traditional pairings but a triangle complex might show up in the near future

Disclaimer: Bleh…as if my life is bad enough, you just had to rub it in

A/N: I may not update a lot, but you got to hand it in to me for my revisions

~*~

Prologue

~*~

~*~*~*~*~

You left in order to save me and to set me free

The farther you drift away the more my heart bleeds

With you gone it feels as if I'm missing a part

A part of my heart a part of my soul

I just can't let you go

I'm coming back to rescue you

Without even knowing what to do

I'm coming back for you because I just can't bear life without you

~*~*~*~*~

Kenshin stepped onboard the pirate ship and for a second there he felt uncertainty take hold on him. But when he looked back at Kaoru, the one he was sacrificing himself for, all doubt was erased from his mind. Will he ever see his family again? Will he ever see Kaoru again? Of course he will, he just has to. He will return for his family, return for Kaoru, return for himself.

Kenshin looked out to see the ship that he had willingly left for another. It's time for goodbyes but he will make sure that it won't be forever.

"Sano, Yahiko," Kenshin ordered, "take care of Kaoru-dono for me." His voice was confident and strong. It held out all that he strongly felt or it that's what he hoped. IT's hard to believe that he has to part from his family. Imagining life without them seems imaginable because he's gotten so use to them. He won't be there to look after Kaoru or to make sure that she doesn't blame herself for all of this. He won't be there to look after Sano or Yahiko. He won't be there to…No, it's better not to look on the downside. He'll be back, he'll make sure of that. And this time when he comes back he will make sure to bear his feelings, all of his feelings to Kaoru.

He couldn't resist looking at her one more time as if to engrave her image in his mind so that he won't lose his nerve and if he should be unable to return then his memory of her will be with him always.

~*~

"Kenshin!" Kaoru cried out to him struggling to look at his receding image through the tears. It might have been her imagination but before Shuura's boat and Kenshin disappeared into the misty fog, she thought she saw Kenshin eyes. Even from that far of a distance, his eyes stood out so acutely in such inclement weather, shining brightly as a cat. His eyes, she imagined for a moment looked as though they were filled with, dare she hope, love. More specifically, love for her. Kaoru resisted the overwhelming urge to keep on crying. She wiped away the remaining tears and her back stiffened with resolve. She turned towards Sanosuke and Yahiko with a fire glinting in her eyes. "We have to save Kenshin." she said determinedly, "We have to rescue him before it's too late." Sano and Yahiko nodded in unison.

"We already know that." Sano replied. "We just have to wait until the boat's far enough before we tail them. After all we don't want our presence known too soon."

Yahiko glanced at Kaoru's tearstained face and worry-filled eyes. He knew that she was in deep turmoil and that might be a disadvantage if they have to fight the pirates or even Shuura herself. She might get hurt and Kenshin said to look after her so he wouldn't be following his orders if he allowed her to rush headfirst into danger so unstable.

"Kaoru," Yahiko suggested, "maybe you should go back with the boat and wait for us at the dojo." He regretted the words that slipped from his mouth after he saw Kaoru's face. If looks could kill he would be dead, resurrected, and murdered all over again. He almost took a step back suddenly feeling very wary of her for an angry Kaoru isn't a very good thing.

"It's my fault that he's in this situation in the first place so I'm going to stay help and get him out of it whether you like it or not." Kaoru replied fiercely.

"Sorry I said anything." Yahiko spoke in his defense. "It was just a suggestion, you know."

"Kiddies," Sano interrupted, "stop fighting and help me catch up with the boat. We don't want to lose them." He had already found a small rowboat and was waiting below the ship expectantly looking up at the duo. As Kaoru and Yahiko started towards the rowboat, Sanosuke smirked to himself as the once forgotten feelings of adventure and an upcoming battle take root of him. "Little do they know, they're about to be in for a rude awakening." So the trio set out to sea to save Kenshin, their friend, their confidant, their fighting partner, the member of their family.

~*~

Gomen if it's a little slow and very, very short. Questions, comments, complaints are all welcome it's what I live for. This is my first fanfic so be gentle please. Hope you enjoyed it so far, I assure you there's more to come. You can e-mail me at Midnight_Enchantress06@hotmail.com. Arigato everyone for sticking past the title page. Sayonara for now. ^_^