Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ The Dead Never Stay Dead ❯ Falling ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I asked the birthday fairy but then I remembered that we're not exactly on speaking terms right now. I received a note from her and she's updating my usual gifts `yeah right loser' notes to kitty poo. Oh I feel the love.
 
 
 
Tenshi's Corner: I wanted this to come out before New Year but I was at my brother's house and he doesn't have a floppy drive. What's more is that he says I'm old-fashioned for using one and not knowing how to use a disk! He still has dial-up and he's calling me old-fashioned? I'm appalled, flabbergasted, I'm out of words in my thesaurus! My chapters from now on will be short because I see no other way. On the plus side, more poems! The downside is the really short chapters that won't seem like a chapter for some, but that just means faster updates more or less. To stop procrastinating was on top of my resolution list (as was it for the past few years) so we might see some good results this time around. I'm kind of rusty now and since I'm beta-less bear with me. Oh regressing onto a side note, I joined a newly established anime club at my school. It's officially called Asian culture club so the rest of the school won't think we just watch cartoons all day. Cartoons! Can you believe that? I'm appalled, flabbergasted, I need a new thesaurus! The first meeting was like a support group of why were all addicted to the stuff. I bet were going to be moving onto the 12-step plan soon. As long as they don't put me on the patch I'm fine. I met someone at my poor excuse for a school who also does fanfiction. It's Yu-Gi-Oh but it's still fanfiction. I also know someone else but he just likes doing the really odd pairings like really odd. Enough rambling now for I bet all of you realized that this is just my attempt to make this chapter seem longer than it really is.
 
 
 
Voc.
Shishou-master
Sake- Japanese rice wine
 
:::::::::::::::::::::::::
Part ten- Falling
 
:::::::::::::::::::::::::
 
I'm dropping fast
My life is on the go
I search for a grasp but only air do I catch hold
I'm plummeting
Falling
My heart is just about stalling
Yet I search for a light and it's your name that I'm calling
I see the ground
Too soon
Too fast
I'm tumbling down into my unfinished past
Please hold out your arms and catch me
For it's only your face that I truly wish to see
 
 
 
 
:::::::::::::::::::::::
 
 
He was falling, falling fast and dangerously so. It's been such a blur from the time that Gabe shoved him to now. Kenshin didn't know how long he'd been falling and he didn't know how long it will be until he stopped. It would be better if he didn't try to think that far ahead because just the thought of crashing headfirst into the ground was starting to make him a little uneasy. As Kenshin looked around him, he couldn't tell even with his heightened senses what his surroundings were and it burned his eyes to even try. He could feel the air rush past him and his unbounded hair stung his face. However this didn't register to him in the slightest, for it felt as if he was at a standstill with the world rushing pass him; it was an odd sensation to say the least.
 
 
 
Kenshin closed his eyes in an effort to clear his mind. He could remember when he was younger and under his shishou's care that his master Hiko used to meditate all the time. Granted it was always accompanied with a bottle of sake, but he'll just have to make do with what he had. Kenshin sat down without realizing it but then opened his eyes in shock when he recalled exactly where he was. Looking around in wonder, he tried to figure out how such a feat was possible. That's just it, it wasn't possible. He was sitting on air believe it or not. Then again, the past recent events haven't been at all reasonable or logical in any way so this probably wasn't so much of a feat. Ignoring his new discovery, Kenshin closed his eyes once more and tried to get comfortable with the fact and to forget it at the same time that all that was supporting him was the unpredictable air swirling around him. Kenshin even out his breathing and to relax and focus his thoughts. Soon he was so at ease that he didn't even give it a moment's thought that gravity could quite suddenly turn against him and send him plummeting to his demise. He felt great, better than great. Maybe Hiko did this more than to just enjoy his sake in peace, but knowing his shishou as well as he did, then maybe not.
 
 
 
Kenshin wrinkled his brow in concentration as he reviewed the facts that he amassed in the past few weeks. He was basically heading back to Japan to occupy a body that wasn't his own. That understandably didn't sit too well with him but there wasn't anything he could about it. His life was now in other peoples' hands and although he didn't like not being in control, he'll just have to accept it and move on. The only good thing is that it won't be permanent. It is only temporarily…right? Great, now he's doubting himself. Not a good trait of a samurai, retired or otherwise. Once he sees Gabe again he'll ask him about it; he will get a chance because they can't just leave him stranded like this.
 
 
 
How unnerving it is to find that he's merely a test subject in all this. But no matter what, he'll trust Gabe because he's an archangel after all so he must have some knowledge of what he's doing… hopefully. No, he won't quesstion Gabe now, especially not at a time like this. And really what's the worst that could happen; he's already dead as it is. On the other hand, Gabe can mistakenly put his soul in that of an animal instead of a person. Now how would he be able to woo Kaoru if he was a…a…pig or something? She may have open arms for all kinds of wayward strays him being a fine example, but if he turned into an animal then he'll only be welcomed for dinner, leaving a bad taste in everyone's mouth if Kaoru is the one doing the cooking. Before you know it, he'll be dead all over again. What a bleak outlook his future now seems; given a second chance to only be killed all over again. Well there goes his self-confidence.
 
 
Kenshin opened his eyes; the backs of his eyelids no longer him the comfort that he desired. He wasn't scared of his easy descent in the thin air anymore. It didn't give him problems when he first found himself in this situation so it's unlikely that it would now. Suddenly, the wind picked up and Kenshin was no longer able to sit. Being sent into a freefall, he realized that he spoke too soon, and what a great time for gravity to catch up on him. Trying to look around him all he saw was the expansive foggy air and the harsh wind whipping around him. Kenshin felt himself being squeezed and his non-existent lungs constricted so painfully and tightly that he couldn't breath; he needed air. Seeing that he was dead he didn't know how that was even possible. The viselike feel on his chest lessened, and he greedily inhaled the air rushing towards him.
 
 
 
Once breathing no longer was a trouble for him, Kenshin realized that he wasn't falling anymore but was flying and with a purpose of direction it seemed. This is worse than freefalling for he knew that once he stopped the outcome would be complete and there would be no going back. Apprehension fluttered inside him but he pushed his uncertainties away. He couldn't avoid to feel that way for it wasn't about him but the fate of Japan and more importantly Kaoru as well.
 
 
 
Kenshin came to an abrupt halt when he crashed into an object of some kind or another. White pain streamed through him and seared his body rendering him immobile. “I won't make it.” He thought frantically as he felt his very soul being ripped away from his grasp. No, he had to make it for he made a promise to Kaoru and he never broke a promise especially one made to her. His consciousness slowly ebbed away while his thoughts centered on Kaoru and the fact that he had failed her yet again. As he closed his eyes, Kenshin pictured the one he failed and before his essence fully escaped him it gave one last painful throb. And then… there was darkness.
 
 
::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Tenshi: A little over five pages and packaged for your pleasure. I know it's a little over a month so I apologize. At least this one is longer, right? I have midterms all this week so I had time to trim the edges so to speak. Let's still celebrate that I got it out okay? My birthday was on the seventh so I'm one year older! Sad thing is that I'm too to get a job or my license and I'm a year away from college! Guess what new fad is starting up for authors? Reviewing the reviewers! It's so outrageous that you can't help but join up in the fun. So people when you reviewer don't be lazy like me and not sign in. That way I can review your story!
 
Remember: Forget to review once; shame on me. Forget to review twice; shame on you!
 
 
.