Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ The Dead Never Stay Dead ❯ The Unveiliing ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I had a nightmare that I didn't own Rurouni Kenshin. It was horrifying, truly. The worst part was when I pinched myself I realized that I wasn't asleep. Now that was horrifying. But maybe that it was all a dream within a dream and I haven't woken up yet. That means I may still be dreaming and since I'm dreaming that I didn't own RK maybe in reality I do? Whoa now that's a trip. A lessen to be learned kiddies, psychology and low quantity of sleep do not mix.
 
Kuroi: Wow, how long has it been? Not that I'm expecting any of you all to keep count, that'll just make me even more guilty and everyone knows that a non-guilty writer is a happy writer. I am so good at procrastinating that it's not even funny, not that it was funny to start out with mind you. Also the promise with the short chapters bit, not so good so you can just scratch that off. This one was five pages so hopefully that will placate you all. Placate, you'll be seeing that a lot in this chapter. I seem to be in a writer's block…again. I swear I don't plan these things they just happen! A good friend of mine ( my imaginary muse because you know all the cool kids have one) that I should just write and that works for me. So now I got this spiffy new notebook (a five-star, only the best for the best, heh) that I carry everywhere. Spiffy is also a neat-o word so is neat-o but unfortunately neither words appear in this chapter. I can't say when I may update again but hopefully soon. And school is almost out too so that would give me some writing time. Going off on a tangent do you know that my school gets out on the 17th of June and everyone I know gets out early? I feel so oppressed. Okay that rant is done with so, enjoy!
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Part Eleven- The Unveiling
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
 
The truth comes out
Rushing like a mighty stream
Nothing is real
All is not what it seems
I'm never one for complimenting
Bit I give credit where credit is due
For the facts were delusional lies
And you figured it out much too soon
I shall lay the cards out on the table
Where from beneath they were hid
Letting go of my fabricated fable
My guilt and cowardice I will now of be rid
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
 
Gabe had been dealing with a guilty conscience as of late. Angels aren't supposed to have those and that goes double for archangels such as him. Of course he knew the cause as to why but he just didn't have the drive to solve it. That is exactly the reason he's been hiding from Tomoe ever since Kenshin left. Granted, he knew he was acting idiotic, childish even. Tomoe's just a simple class angel and a woman at that; and what can a woman do? Of course if she the drive and determination she could strip him of his rank as an archangel for his actions. But certainly she wouldn't do that to him. At least that's what he likes to tell himself.
Gabe looked around for any signs of Tomoe before moving on. For the life of him (no pun intended), he couldn't figure out why he was acting so…human. Why wouldn't he just act his status and face up to her for archangels aren't known for being cowards either. Sure there would be some repercussions, but nothing too taxing or so he hoped. The worst case scenario is that Tomoe could get him into some serious trouble. But being optimistic he would like to believe the exact opposite will happen to him in which, he earnestly wished for, Tomoe will just smile, fly away, and never bother him about Kenshin again. But his intuition told him to disregard the latter for not only were they much too rare but his instinct never led him astray before. And plus this is Kenshin's life he's messing with, Tomoe's husband to put it loosely. She may not realize the feelings that she still harbors for him but her heart does and that can spell disaster for them all.
Gabe stopped walking as his mental dilemma got the better of him. Letting go of his surroundings the archangel sank to the ground deep in thought, contemplating his decisions. Riddles and conflicts flittered around his intellectual mind. He considered them all until he exhausted all of his options and none but one lay before him. Gabe knew what he had to do but that didn't bring him the relief that he was searching for. And it was at this moment of enlightenment in where he had came to a final conclusion that Tomoe found him, seated upon the heavenly ground of Eden.
It was the sound of wings that alerted Gabe to the presence of another angel. He looked up annoyed at being interrupted, but that was until he recognized who he was scowling at. Tomoe looked down at him sadistically enjoying the stricken look on his face. And it served him right; after all he had put her through. But was it acceptable for angels to be so cruel? Even if it wasn't, she felt no guilt.
“So tell me Gabe,” she opened conversationally, smiling when he started, “enjoying the view down there?”
Gabe scrambled up to face Tomoe, his face wary. He didn't bother to reply for what good would it do? All traces of pleasantries erased from her face and what replaced it was unreadable. And Gabe didn't enjoy the abrupt change for it made him uncertain, another trait undesirable for an archangel. “Look Tomoe I can explain?” Gabe tentatively said in an attempt to redeem himself.
One look at Tomoe's oddly blank and indecipherable expression Gabe quickly quieted. He wished that she would show him some emotion good or bad if only to calm his unease. “Explain?” Tomoe questioned him mockingly, “You have better and this time I want the complete story without you skirting around the truth.” Her tone left no room for discussion and Gabe didn't have the strength to object.
“Where do you want me to start?” He asked resigned and listless.
“At the beginning,” Tomoe answered sarcastically, “but stop once you get to the end.”
Gabe smirked at her dry humor. The Tomoe of now is very different from the Tomoe she was when alive. By now they have gravitated towards a nearby bench and Gabe was glad to have a chance to sit down for his legs no longer had the strength to support him anymore. He sighed despondently the last stressful days catching up to him and slowly ebbing away his remaining strength.
Gabe looked everywhere but at Tomoe not wanting to see the anger and disappointment reflecting in her eyes. Even he was disappointed at himself and Kenshin will be too once he finds out about the situation that he's in. He just can't seem to please anyone now.
 
“Well?”
 
Gabe looked up at the irritated angel. He must have been spacing out again. “Sorry about that,” he apologized sheepishly, “just trying to arrange my thoughts.”
 
“You have had plenty of time to arrange them,” Tomoe bit out, clearly not accepting his apology, “what with you avoiding me and all.” Gabe at least had the grace to look shamed at that barb. “I want answers Gabe and I want them now.” Tomoe stopped to control her mounting temper. She didn't know what was wrong with her. She's usually not this quick to anger, honestly. “Gabriel,” her tone more subdued than before, “What exactly is going on?”
 
Tomoe had never used his full name before and with that disheartening tone he hoped to never hear it from her again. Gabe's spirit plummeted even more that before for he had no idea that this situation had affected her so deeply. And it hurt even worse because he knew that he could've prevented her misery but he did not and that is where all his problems lie. Gabe halted his musings for he had stalled this confrontation long enough and he had to tell the truth; needed to tell her the truth. She, more than anyone else deserved as much.
 
“There had never been a case like Kenshin's before.” Gabe started out suddenly. He tried to ignore the pressure of Tomoe's gaze so as not to get distracted. This is a delicate matter that he's discussing so it needs to be handled with care. “No one,” Gabe continued speaking, “no one in history has ever died who wasn't suppose to. Everyone dies for a reason but in Kenshin's case there was none. There was greater reason for him to remain alive for he will do more good living than dead.”
 
“I know that already,” Tomoe interrupted him, “just get to the part that I don't.”
 
“Yeah, sorry about that; it was just a refresher you see.” Gabe grinned in embarrassment before resuming the discussion at hand. “As I said, Kenshin wasn't meant to die yet. It was entirely out fault regrettably. We were simply slacking off and being careless, and since this was our mistake we had to fix it in the only way possible.”
 
“By sending him back.” Tomoe answered for him.
 
“Exactly,” Gabe agreed, “We had to send him back in any way possible even if it was through the body of another.”
 
“But something went wrong.” Tomoe prodded him with her voice carefully devoid of any emotion.
 
“You must realize though, this was all in the experimental stages.” Gabe's voice was desperate, nearly pleading with Tomoe to understand the situation.
 
“So you made Kenshin your guinea pig!” Tomoe asked in disbelief; the raw emotion making her voice spike.
 
“That's one way to put it but we researched every component.” Gabe argued in an attempt persuade her. “We…I…I was sure that it would work, it had no reason not to.”
 
“But it didn't.” Tomoe couldn't keep the accusation out of her tone. The anger just seeped into her words causing Gabe even more hurt.
 
“No,” Gabe reaffirmed her dispirited, “it didn't.” Gabe's voice deflated all of her anger. He sounded so lost and so weary and although he caused much of this trouble he did not deserve to be so.
 
“What happened Gabe?” Tomoe questioned calmly trying to not give into the urge of soothing the archangel's troubled soul.
 
“The variables were too great.” Gabe answered mutely. “I should have tried it on some other spirits before conducting it on Kenshin. Maybe the whole research was flawed. I don't know.” For the first time since he started speaking he made eye contact with Tomoe. And from the unstable emotions brimming in his eyes she realized that he's only a child just forced to grow up before his time. Gabe at this moment reminded her of a small boy from her past, a child with the same black hair and soulful brown eyes who always went on living with a façade before everyone. But remembering the past is dangerous so Tomoe didn't dare venture further down that risky road. Yet that child…it haunts her.
 
Gabe broke eye contact and looked away, not focusing his eyes on anything in particular. “His soul was meant to be transferred into an unused body. I planned this since he arrived, knowing that he wouldn't want any other options offered.” He broke off into a humorless, bitter laugh, the forced sound foreign to even his ears. What disgust Tomoe must feel for him now, what utter shame. He was ashamed with himself as well. He was supposed to be a role model for all angels so mistakes are unthinkable. But he committed the inexcusable and soon found himself at fault bringing with him dire consequences. Gabe, as an Archangel was supposed to be the epitome of perfection. Where was his perfection now? Oh how low he had fallen.
 
Gabe stood up overcome with restlessness. He was facing away from Tomoe with distant eyes focusing on sights only he could see. When he resumed talking it was as if he forgot all about her presence, speaking aloud only to himself to both torment and reassure him, “Yes, Kenshin was supposed to be placed inside an empty vessel of sorts, but…” A sigh ghosted through his lips and he paused once again, unknowing how to proceed.
 
“But?” Tomoe urged him on. She was at a dilemma, wishing him to continue but at the same time fearful of what he had to say.
 
Gabe realizing he had an audience turned back to face the anxious angel. Tomoe deserved to hear this without his back towards her. He still kept his distance though for reasons unknown, “But,” Gabe finished his voice ominous with a sense of finality, “Kenshin's soul never made it into that empty body. His spirit instead is drifting towards some unknown body, some unknown body that is already occupied. Kenshin soon will realize this as will the soul being forced to share its own body.
 
In the utopia of heaven all is peaceful and tranquility and calm echoes through the souls of all who dwell there. Through the souls of all with the exception of two spirits, a troubled archangel and another celestial being, both heavily laden with grave hearts of earthly problems. And life goes on in all the three realms of the world, but for these two heavenly individuals time remains in a stasis and despair and woes rings throughout it.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Kuroi: So how was it? I really had a problem with the dialogue so hopefully I didn't mess up too royally. I also made Gabe a little sexist if you guys notice. The `what can a woman do' comment I got from The Mummy and I got to tell you the sequel is total suckage. Suckage! Great word number three! What am I the only one keeping count? Tomoe seems a tad OOC but that happens. Hopefully it's not too much of a problem. I don't have much to say except that I will try to update soon but I'm not making any promises `kay? Oh and since I might not know when the new chapter will come out if you put this story on story alert that should settle that. If you don't have an account I recommend it as well for you can keep track of all your favorite stories and authors, have the history of all your wondrous reviews and also it's Free! Speaking of which, I realized that I haven't read any of my reviewers' stories. My reviewers, another great word or rather words. I should really make my own dictionary or something but that involves works and we two don't get along to great. I'm sorry if I ignored that promise but I have about 138 author alerts ( on fanfiction . net) plus my lazy attempts at writing so I'm kind of swamped. I may be able to try it some day but not right now. So watch out for one day you may see my name in you inbox and come to find out that there is a blue moon and pigs are flapping their pudgy rings around it. That's all I have to say until next time except brownie points for all those people who can guess about the kid that Tomoe was talking about.
 
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::