Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Unkept Promise ❯ Wind Chimes ( Chapter 1 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Just a simple breeze…

I can hear wind chimes…

At my home, wind chimes are up all the time…

"What a pretty sound they make," she said quietly.

In the late afternoon Himura Kaoru watched as her 9-year-old son, Kenji, run and try to catch the petals falling from the sakura trees. She sat on her knees as sipped at the fresh tea she made after dinner.

He looks so much like Kenshin…

Kenji's brown hair whipped his face as he ran. A broad smile on his face. His father was coming home at last!

"Mother, when is father coming home? I want to tell him that Yahiko said he'd train me how to fight!" Kenji said happily. His purple eyes shining.

"Did he now? Well, we shall see," Kaoru said with a soft smile. She pulled him onto his lap and he laid his head on her shoulder.

"Why does father keep on leaving us? I miss him," Kenji said in his mother's shoulder.

"I miss him too. But he will be here soon enough," Kaoru said gently.

The sun slowly set behind the gate around the dojo. As the stars started to appear, Kenji fell asleep. Kaoru didn't want to put him to be just yet, she liked it outside.

…………

The gate swung open to reveal a man with long red hair. His smile was genuine at he sight of his home. Kaoru, he could see, was sitting outside with Kenji fast asleep in her arms.

"Kaoru…," Kenshin whispered. The sound of her name drifted into her ears.

"Kenshin?!" Kaoru whispered sharply. Tears filled her eyes as she saw her husband walk to her. "Kenshin…your finally home!," she said a bit louder.

Kenshin knelt down and kissed his wife. He then looked to his son and stroked a strand of brown hair from his face.

"My son," Kenshin carefully picked up the sleeping boy in his arms. Kaoru stood.

"Lets go to sleep. We all need some rest…," he said, then kissed Kaoru on the forehead.

As she watched him go inside, the wind gently moved the wind chimes…